Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
03 Jun 19 19:45
| Topic/replies: 18,579 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
Updated from the GOLF TIPS Weekly Thread.

Any IRISH related GOLF news/views - All your tips/deductive reasoning/stabs/best guesses welcome.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 89
By:
Kelly
When: 04 Jun 19 22:55
Nothing big to report on recently . Rory still firing on 3 cylinders , with another Major in the offing .

One of my sons is friendly with Brook's caddie Ricky Elliot . They met up last week in Portrush , interesting to hear some of what transpired in the course of the last round of the USPGA . Koepka has a great team around him , add in his undoubted talent and you get a winning formula.

Was in St Andrews on Sunday , think there were 5 Irish girls/ women playing in the St Rule ( low amateurs) trophy .  Not sure where they finished , only found out the placings for the top 3 , none of them Irish . Standard very high , none of my mixed foursomes partners ever hit the ball like these girls , maybe that's why we have relatively little representation in the womens professional game so far .
By:
peckerdunne
When: 05 Jun 19 11:40
Rory getting worse imho, can't putt, loves a double bogey and who knows what occurs upstairs. Still a huge talent off course..
By:
Vubiant
When: 07 Jun 19 15:45
Delighted to see Shane Lowry consolidating his place at the top table. Not sure if he can quite pull off a major but who knows what he might do in the familiar surroundings of R Portrush if he gets a decent start and keeps a level head ? Must be a good bet for the Ryder Cup too.
Also great to see Graham McDowell finally emerge from the doldrums.
If Rory can somehow pick up his mid-range putting and toughen up on the mental side  -he could be leading an Irish golfing renaissance for the next decade . Rory needs to develop the knack Tiger had of making  a 72 out of a 76 - rather than the opposite.
Paul Dunne can still progress with a little more experience and Seamus Power has produced enough good rounds to suggest he can be more than just a journeyman . Epic summer coming up for Irish golf whatever.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 09 Jun 19 20:05
Rory beating up this pitch ans putt course @# Currently
By:
Vubiant
When: 09 Jun 19 23:19
What an epic day for Irish professional golf. Who could have scripted this ? -a runaway win for Rory -- a tied 2nd place for Shane and an important 8th for McDowell. (Hopefully RTE might be able to squeeze it in after the Junior Girls Badminton news.)
As I was saying -roll on the Irish golf renaissance.
By:
Kelly
When: 09 Jun 19 23:35
Memorable day all around .  Well done lads !
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 13 Jun 19 16:24
US OPEN week with SHANE, RORY & GMAC from this island state Devil ... JONNY RAMBO to winCool
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 13 Jun 19 22:54
Not the start SHANE wanted (+4) while our northern boys are cruising (T5, T9).
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 14 Jun 19 15:43
Rory McIlroy (68) – Bogeyed his opening hole but played the next 17 in 4-under despite not making a birdie on any of the three par 5s. Had to settle for just 9-of-14 fairways and 12 greens but short game was sharp.
“It's very, very soft out there. Very benign. I needed to get out there and shoot something in the 60s today, it's going to get harder as the week goes on so I'm happy with my work today. The greens are absolutely perfect. I don't see them deteriorating. It's hard to describe how different they are from nine years ago.” WINNER IN WAITING Devil
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 14 Jun 19 16:00
Rory McIlroy opened with 68, a very good omen for the 2011 US Open champion.
Each of the previous three times Rory began a major championship with a round of 68 or better, he went on to win.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 20 Jun 19 18:23
The 124th Amateur Championship in Portmarnock has reached the quarter finals stage.

Cameron Sisk, the 2018-19 Pac-12 freshman of the year at Arizona State, is lone American remaining. Plays Aussie David Micheluzzi.
Scotlands Euan Walker is set to clash with compatriot Sandy Scott.
James Sugrue
(Mallow) & Ronan Mullarney (Galway) are the lone two Irish players still in the field (down to the last 8 now). They take on Netherlands Koen Kouwenaar and Englands Benjamin Jones respectively. 

The Champion typically receives exemptions to the Masters, US Open & The Open.....8.15am start in the morning....Best of Orish Luck.

https://www.randa.org/en/championships/theamateurchampionship/mp-results#/competition/2058825/matchplay/5
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 20 Jun 19 22:01
David Micheluzzi of Australia was the highest-ranked player coming into the tournament - he sits seventh on the World Amateur Golf Ranking.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 20 Jun 19 22:53
Seamus POWER (66) and Padraig Harrington (68) opening rounds - Irish start well at the Travelers Championships Excited
By:
peckerdunne
When: 21 Jun 19 12:42
Catch

I'd like to know how far down the list Rory would come.

World top 20 Bogeys and double Bogeys.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 22 Jun 19 18:29
Huge congratulations to James Sugrue of Mallow GC - The 2019 Amateur Champion at Portmarnock.

James will now play The Open at Portrush, the 2020 US Open and can expect an invitation to The Masters in the post.

UP CORK boy !!!!!Devil
By:
Kelly
When: 24 Jun 19 00:58
Great performance.  Interesting year ahead for him .
By:
peckerdunne
When: 24 Jun 19 12:07
Top langer.
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 30 Jun 19 01:41
Off to LAHINCH next week on the 'WILD ATLANTIC WAY' for the Oirish OPEN.....
...and another meeting with Mr Klondyke and Mrs Dell https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=563666104163257

https://lahinch.ie/
https://www.lahinchgolf.com/

A TRULY GREAT (Goat) TRACK, in the southwest of Ireland, with towering sand dunes the height of the nearby Cliffs of Moher - An 1894 Old Tom Morris original, with an 1927 Dr Alister MacKenzie re-design, and a 1999 Martin Hawtree restoration of the MacKenzie ethos (+ new par3's 8th & 11th).

LETS HOPE IT'S WINDY, Surf's up and those blind shots fool 'em !

Look no further than Spain's OWGR #11 Jonny Rahmbo to do the business again Devil
+
Tommy Fleetwood England
Louis Oosthuizen South Africa
Matty Wallace England
Ireland's own Shane Lowry
Ian Poulter England
Eddie Pepperell England
Rafa Cabrera Bello Spain
Tricky Ricky Hatton England
Li Hao Tong My fav Chinaman
Lucas Bjerregaard Denmark
Justin Harding My fav South African
Kiradech Aphibarnrat The burly Thai
Abraham Ancer Tops of the 4 USA players
Thorbjorn Olesen Denmark
Watch for Schwab & Smith in good form, while Scotland's Russell Knox defends, with POD (2nd in 'The SOUTH' twice), GMAC ('SOUTH' winner 2000), Willet & Sir LEE about on Thurs/Fri at least.
CM iyc Devil
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 30 Jun 19 15:48
http://www.haversham.com/bakers-blog/7-things-to-see-at-lahinch/#.XRi1yndFx9A
By:
peckerdunne
When: 30 Jun 19 18:35
Very emotional evening in store for Mr Nate Lashley.

What a remarkable story..

Nate Lashley36.68€38.00€1,355.86 Whoops
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 05 Jul 19 11:34
POD's lead didn't last long.....SPECTACULAR DAY on the links here in LeHINCH Devil
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 05 Jul 19 23:22
ONLY 66 players made the cut at -1 or better, with Ireland's Paul Dunners and Paul McBride just missing out.
By:
Kelly
When: 06 Jul 19 11:32
Brilliant 3rd round from young Robin Dawson today .  Could finish top Irish , he must have been a big price to win that . Keep her lit !
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 06 Jul 19 13:40
Outrageous round going for ROBERT ROCK Devil
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 07 Jul 19 12:08
Catch Me ifyoucan • July 7, 2019 12:03 PM BST
The atmosphere here in LeHINCH is overwhelming
...Crowds drinking on the streets - some guy said it reminded him of PUCK FAIR - only more Goats ! (acting the maggot).
By:
Kelly
When: 08 Jul 19 10:29
Great tournament .  Think we should make Jon an honorary Irishman .  He is good for the tourist industry too , even knows the right hangout up North .  Wonder where he is spending the next week ?  He is not in Scotland as far as I know.
By:
Vubiant
When: 08 Jul 19 13:46
Yes , it went well and got a big name winner. Only let down was the front line Irish crew -most of whom got set up for a run at the top ten at least and then went AWOL. Padraig we know blows steaming hot or freezing cold but I thought Lowry and Power would  put up a better show.
...maybe they're saving it for Portrush .
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 09 Jul 19 22:50
A lot of the top pros are staying in Doonbeg and Adare. Oosty was in Ballyb this morn Wink
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 09 Jul 19 23:24
All roads lead to the Ramore and Harbour bar next wk Wink

Rambo’s reserved his table live on TV on Sunday Laugh
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 09 Jul 19 23:26
Fionn Mc will be happy (and busy) Devil
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 09 Jul 19 23:28
Remember “On My Own” ?
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 16 Jul 19 00:41
ALL set Kelly ?
By:
Deplasterer
When: 16 Jul 19 22:15
Stay clear of our lot, wind up Thurs, Rory  out before it starts, Rahm and Schauffle my 2, Be luckyExcitedCool
By:
Kelly
When: 16 Jul 19 23:43
Yes Catch Me , pretty well organised so far . Have season tickets etc .   Was up there Sunday and Monday , not today Tuesday , had to come home for a funeral. No broadband in the house we have , will miss out on the betting etc , although I have been active on the win market for the last few months .  Huge variations so far , Tiger was 9/1 at one stage , Johnson was 12/1 , Rahm 13/1 , .Best for me is Scott , on him at 75/1 , next best is Rahm .  The weather may play a part , had a few quid on Shane today at 100 , course winner North of Ireland as an amateur .

Well organised operation on the course , 6000 working on course apparently .  80 plus on one hole our club is marshalling , 2 shifts , OK if its dry , but if the wind blows it will wreck some players chance .

Up tomorrow early , although there is rain forecast .

Are you going ?
By:
Kelly
When: 17 Jul 19 07:25
Just going now .

Good viewing/punting .  Best of luck .
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan
When: 18 Jul 19 20:08
RAHMBO’s dining on a juicy steak in the Ramore this evening Devil
By:
Catch Me ifyoucan