Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
RoyalAcademy
13 Sep 18 12:14
| Topic/replies: 1,353 | Blogger: RoyalAcademy's blog
Is racecourse attendance a thing of the past and simply dead?

Can we only expect "banner" meetings to prosper?

ICW weekend is free-in for all students at Leopardstown yet they will struggle to fill the place?

TV coverage theoretically should be bad for attendances so having it hidden away on RUK (and behind a further paywall) should be good for attendances, but probably not?

What steps could be taken to improve attendances? Leopardstown are promoting a DJ and band ahead of racing to the "youf" this weekend.

How mid-20th century is the betting "offer" at tracks today?

Do tracks really care if they have punters if they have current massive TV rights and guarantees of taxpayers money for purses regardless of 10 or 10,000 attendances through the turnstiles or whether they attract sponsorship?

How utterly hopeless and useless is the Tote?

Just a list of the top of my head.
Pause Switch to Standard View Racecourse attendance
Show More
Report workrider September 13, 2018 4:28 PM BST
Punchestown gets huge amounts of kids for the Festival yet they never return . Bookies on course do themselves no favours , try getting a couple of hundred on with some of them. Same prices with 99% of them , how can that be good .
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 13, 2018 5:31 PM BST
I was asked to go up Leopardstown on Saturday today, no chance..... used to go to Champion Stakes day every year and then on to Shelbourne for either the Derby semi finals or some years it was final day. Then they changed it to a late afternoon / early evening meeting with the last race at Leopardstown going off 30mins before the first at SPK, no worth the hassle of trying to get down in time now.

Go racing in Ireland very infrequently now, maybe a day or 2 at Christmas and then maybe a day at the Punchestown festival and that's pretty much it. I'm not tight with my money (far from it) but it costs a decent chunk for a day out at the races especially the decent meetings to pretty much spend the day with a load of coked up twats in their sheet cheap suits, pass thanks.
Report olddesperado September 14, 2018 10:05 PM BST
Agree with that PF.

I might have went tomorrow but for the timings.

I would have really liked to see alpha centauri in the flesh but needed to be back to do evening feeds { which im sure a lot of other small scale owners/trainers/breeders/pinhookers need to as well }

The backbone of the industry who cant afford to pay someone basically.

I can see the advantages of a late start for punchestown or smaller local meetings but a massive weekend meeting like this or the Derby i just dont see the point tbh.
Report workrider September 15, 2018 9:59 AM BST
Its to do with Jockeys riding both here and England I think Old, Frankie and Ryan have done it recently...
Report workrider September 15, 2018 8:51 PM BST
Overall a poor attendance there today...
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 15, 2018 9:15 PM BST
Leopardstown RC (1 hour ago)
THANK YOU to all 14,266 of you who attended day 1 of  Irish Champs Wknd today, it was a fantastic day of World Class Racing, Course Wide Entertainment and is a day that will be remembered for years to come. We look forward to seeing you all back at Leopardstown in the near future!

...just saying Devil
Report newapproach September 15, 2018 9:19 PM BST
I haven't seen the figures but crowds were strong in Listowel all week. Sunday crowd was way up I understand, Monday was down because of the weather and an all flat card compared to a mixed card in previous years.

I attended Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and crowds were good each day. Big crowds on Wednesday and today especially compared to previous years. Friday's crowd was slightly down I understand. Friday, being ladies day, has been massive in previous years but locals getting sick of the size of it. Saturday has become a bit of a locals day and combined with the fact it is an all national hunt card brings a big crowd.

Given the comments above regarding falling attendance, it seems .disrespectful for the Champions weekend to clash with one of the most well attended festivals in Listowel. The meeting is overshadowed by the big meeting in Leopardstown today. We know the champions weekend can't be moved due to clashes with other international meeting but would it be possible to re-jig the festival t ensure it doesn't clash with champions weekend and give the harvest festival the respect it deserves.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan September 15, 2018 10:24 PM BST
"That's brilliant and there is some noise in this place. I'm delighted she won that, it's brilliant for them (It's All About The Girls Syndicate) and the yearling sales are coming up so it's very important!.....Sparkle'n'joy (Sepoy (AUS) - Silent Secret (IRE)(Dubai Destination (USA)) trained by Jessica Harrington - she's some tough filly - wins the Ballylinch Stud Irish EBF Ingabelle Stks (Listed) of €100,000.00 2-y-o.

Shane (Foley) said she really ground it out in the last furlong because she had to. She stuck her head out and really wanted to get there.....I don't think Sparkle'n'joy will run again as she's done enough this year. We'll let them all relax for the winter and dream because that's what it's all about".

Founded by Elaine ‘Legs’ Lawlor of Goffs and Fasig-Tipton’s Anna Seitz, the syndicate will now have horses in training in Australia and America, as well as their 2 new Irish fillies.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/it-s-all-about-the-girls-as-legs-brings-the-glamour-to-goffs/302437

Devil
Report kavvie September 16, 2018 9:48 PM BST
someone told me it was 25e in today for pensioners?  if so no wonder crowds are down!!
Report peckerdunne September 16, 2018 9:54 PM BST
Shows how perilous things are when you severely miss the pensioners custom.
Report Catford Toteboard September 19, 2018 4:48 PM BST
I was over a couple of weeks ago and went to three meetings. Laytown; small but busy but is obviously a one off. Kilbeggan also small but busy as well. Navan; larger but very quiet on a Saturday afternoon. Go to Punchestown every year for the festival and is well attended. I actually prefer it to Cheltenham as its a lot easier to get around, get a drink and get a bet on. Plan to go some different Irish tracks next year.
Report ambush September 22, 2018 1:41 AM BST
try killarney in july. ladies day is in my opinion the best in ireland.5 days first three are quiet.......also roscommon , ballinrobe worth a visit for well attended country tracks
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com