Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mrcombustible
12 Sep 18 20:41
| Topic/replies: 3,238 | Blogger: mrcombustible's blog
By Richard Forristal
6:34PM, SEP 12 2018

Racing UK has moved to re-emphasise a live web feed will be available from all 26 Irish racecourses on its online Extra platform when the channel assumes Irish racing's direct-to-home broadcast rights on January 1, 2019.

However, an admission that "action-packed days" such as the channel's debut on New Year's Day – when it is scheduled to broadcast from Fairyhouse and Tramore alongside Cheltenham, Catterick, Exeter and Musselburgh – pose logistical difficulties will do little to allay fears that Irish racing will no longer enjoy the blanket television coverage it currently does on At The Races.

"We will endeavour to show all races in their entirety on the linear channel," a statement on behalf of its parent company Racecourse Media Group read.

"However, where there are unavoidable clashes, the finishes and/or recordings of the race [whole or in part, depending on time availability] will still be shown on the linear channel. If there are race clashes, to a large extent common sense and the set of circumstances will prevail as to which race is shown.

"Live coverage of every British and Irish race in its entirety will be available to our members either on the linear channel or Extra."

On busy days, RUK has pledged to "employ a second gallery to provide a fully produced dedicated Irish feed for Extra".

Following the publication of the fixture list, RMG's chief executive Richard FitzGerald said: “This is the first stage of the process and there will also be further coordination required as we focus on the detailed planning of race times for 2019."

Reflecting on the addition of the Irish tracks to the 35 British venues from which RUK will broadcast in 2019, he added: "It means nearly 90 per cent of all Group and Graded races that are run in Britain and Ireland will now be on the same service and TV audiences will be able to watch the principal storylines of British and Irish racing on the one, definitive racing channel.

"Live GB and Irish racing is what our members want, over and above other international content."
Pause Switch to Standard View RUK and Irish Racing
Show More
Report mrcombustible September 12, 2018 8:44 PM BST
y Tony O'Hehir
6:34PM, SEP 12 2018

An increase in the number of blank Sundays during the summer months and an agreement on earlier finishing times for evening meetings are among the features contained in the Irish Fixture List for 2019, which was published by Horse Racing Ireland on Wednesday.

The number of racing-free Sundays has been increased to five (from three), while there will be another five Sundays during the summer with no Flat racing. The final race at evening meetings will be no later than 8.45pm for ten months of the year and 8.30pm at Dundalk during the first two months of the year.

Next year will mark the opening of the completely redeveloped Curragh with 19 meetings listed for the season, starting on Saturday April 12. The Guineas Spring Festival is being extended to three days (Friday, May 24 to Sunday, May 26) and will feature a Group 1 on each day with the Tattersalls Gold Cup being run on the Friday, the Irish 2,000 Guineas on the Saturday and the Irish 1,000 Guineas on the Sunday.

A change to the three-day Irish Derby Festival, which has been run on a Friday-to-Sunday basis, will have the meeting run from Thursday, June 27 to Saturday 29, with the Irish Derby holding its place as the main event on the Saturday. A further break with the past will see the Curragh stage its four August meetings on Friday evenings.

The total number of fixtures scheduled is 361, compared to 363 this year, and a further two summer fixtures will be allocated to Dundalk pending clarification over plans to replace its all-weather surface. No meetings are scheduled for Dundalk from May 3 until September 20.

The Flat turf season will start at Naas on Sunday, March 24 and end at the same track on Sunday, November 3 and there will an extra 15 Flat races run in the April-June period.

The two built-in breaks for jump jockeys have been retained, with the late June-early July break extended from nine to 12 days.

Brian Kavanagh: "The 2019 fixture list has been developed with the needs of both the customer and those working in the industry in mind"
Brian Kavanagh: "The 2019 fixture list has been developed with the needs of both the customer and those working in the industry in mind"
Patrick McCann (racingpost.com/photos)
Brian Kavanagh, chief executive of HRI, said: “The 2019 fixture list has been developed with the needs of both the customer and those working in the industry in mind.

"The 2018 enhancements such as extra festival dates at Bellewstown, Killarney and Galway, and the newly inaugurated Dublin Racing Festival have been retained, while an exciting new fixture list for the Curragh will coincide with the opening of the redeveloped racecourse.

“Consideration has also been taken of the needs of the industry’s workforce with the introduction of extra blank Sundays and earlier finishing times where possible.”

Commenting on the changes made to ease the workload on stable staff, Brendan Caldwell, chairman of the Irish Stable Staff Association, said: "We warmly welcome the changes in the fixtures for 2019, and we’re delighted staff will have extra Sundays off next year.

"The earlier changes to the finishing race for evening meetings are also very welcome. That's something we’ve been requesting for some time, so we’re delighted.”

Michael Grassick, chief executive of the Irish Racehorse Trainers Association, also welcomed the changes: He said: “This is a strong step in the right direction. It’s something the IRTA have been lobbying for and it’s an important development for our members as they try to reduce the workload of their staff. I’m glad the 2019 fixture list reflects these views."
Report punchestown September 12, 2018 9:07 PM BST
At best we will be on the back burner as far as RUK is concerned.As much as people give out about ATR it will be missed by us whose primary interest is Irish Racing.
Report cloone river September 12, 2018 9:32 PM BST
You wonder why they wanted Irish racing if they see it as a problem putting it on?
Report mrcombustible September 12, 2018 9:44 PM BST
I will never understand the decision to sell the rights to RUK especially as Sky will soon be taking over ATR and it will be in HD.
I like the RUK pictures but for a pay channel we should not have to put up with Yates,Nevinson and Tanya
Report cloone river September 12, 2018 11:25 PM BST
And yet the powers that be thing it was a good deal.That more people will get to see it on a pay to view channel that wont even be showing it?
Report workrider September 12, 2018 11:38 PM BST
Worst decision by a long way Cloone, it will backfire on them bigtime. They really don't have a clue, sell it to the highest bidder with no thought for the racing fan. How are they going to attract new blood when nobody will see it on tv .
Report cloone river September 12, 2018 11:53 PM BST
Unless they thing more people will go racing?Cant see that happen.
Report workrider September 13, 2018 10:02 AM BST
Even Listowel had a drop in attendance I'm told , Tues crowd well down..So how they hope to attract more punters without it been shown on telly is beyond me...
Report kavvie September 13, 2018 3:24 PM BST
up there as acts of stupidity with voting for brexit and voting for trump sadly.
Report jimeen September 16, 2018 9:52 PM BST
The big stupid fat fukker that gave this the thumbs up should be sacked on the spot . But then again it’s hardly a surprise after the debacle in the Curragh with the parade ring . When it comes to these lanngers, there is no limit to their stupidity.
Report kavvie September 16, 2018 10:44 PM BST
no accountbilty tho jimeen.he will still be strutting around with an arrogant head on him looking down on everyone else..
Report workrider September 17, 2018 5:51 PM BST
I find myself in total agreement with Jimeen, now there's a first, I happened to be coming down the steps behind him on Sat a sad sight indeed. Surely his mode of dress is more in keeping with War on Want than L Copeland...
Report Kelly September 19, 2018 5:13 PM BST
Heard about this a good while ago , could not understand the logic behind it . Presumably those without RUK on a subscription basis will have to join up , so it makes sense for RUK expanding their subscription base .  But if it puts Irish racing in behind the eight ball it will prove to be a disastrous decision . History decrees that we invariably figure low in our larger neighbours thoughts , Brexit being a prime example of ill considered idiocy.

Just glad that we have had a great run and coverage with ATR .  Does the Monopolies Commission have any input now to British thoughts and behaviour ? Suspect not , like politics in UK , its the devil take the hindmost . Money is the God .
Report Kelly January 1, 2019 10:34 PM GMT
Only saw the end of the RUK coverage today , the last race from Tramore fell foul of fixture congestion and was only shown in hindsight .  Anyone able to analyse what happened earlier ?

RUK free to view in Republic for January as a sop , but as usual does not apply to the other 6 counties in Ireland . Forgotten people , maybe Arlene will make representations ! Wonder would it apply if we had an executive ?

26 Irish meetings on RUK , 31 English . Near parity that , but I don't expect anything approaching parity in terms of priorities . Hope I am wrong .
Report pa lapsy January 3, 2019 1:47 PM GMT
It's a big f*ckin mess, you cannot see a video of any Irish horse race since the change, cannot study form, hence cannot bet,what a shower of incompetent imbeciles.
Report cloone river January 3, 2019 5:44 PM GMT
I agreed with you pa lapsy.No Irish replays any were.You couldnt make it up.Who in HRI was behind the deal anyway?
Report CALLING CARD January 3, 2019 8:46 PM GMT
Brian Kavanagh blames SIS AND ATR. the deputation that represented HRI and AIR in their negotiations with SIS evidently didnt really care about the Irish racing public. once Paddy Walsh the secretary of AIR got the deal to secure a big juicy cheque for each meeting that was all that matters.
In truth Irish Racecourses and HRI really dont care whether people attend race meetings
Last week at Leopardstown we have the farcical situation of not enough turnstiles been open and people been let in free.. now Pat Keogh reckons the way forward is all ticket.. Jesus wept they crow about having 15000 people at a race meeting Chester seldom gets less than 15000
I dont blame ATR Irish racing shafted them and now its payback time
Kavanagh says there is a database on HRI's youtube channel
how much of a joke is he.. Curragh miles over budget / parade needs to be moved. bookmaker ring at BALLYMANY roundabout
at least they have recognised  6000 capactity stand is adequate as nobody local will pay 25 per meeting
Report ambush January 3, 2019 10:27 PM GMT
curragh reckons theres is a premium product calling card, dont think there will be many days when admission  will be 25 euro.
Report cloone river January 3, 2019 11:01 PM GMT
How much over budget has the Curragh gone to?Were will this money come from?
Report cloone river January 3, 2019 11:07 PM GMT
A premium product with one trainer haveing 3/4 of the 8 runners in the field and his son haveing 2.I think I need a drink.
Report CALLING CARD January 3, 2019 11:10 PM GMT
hri are funding it and were asked for a further 6.5 million recently i heard
25 will be the minimum.. premium product my boll iii xxx.
as boring as a bad soap
Report cloone river January 3, 2019 11:36 PM GMT
HRI = TAXPAYER.
Report CALLING CARD January 4, 2019 12:05 AM GMT
most definitely
Report ambush January 4, 2019 1:32 PM GMT
its their opinion that its a premium product. id say 35 euro is their idea of a minimum fee. there trying to attract a better class of customer. best of luck with that.
Report kavvie January 4, 2019 6:28 PM GMT
it really is a sad affair.brian kavanagh surely has a lot to answer for.i seen the first race this evening from dundalk. no commentary. when the freebie offers and the 10e offers go id say there wont be too many paying the 32e a month.   and imagine all the pubs and public places  used to have on atr constantly?  lads come in have a pint and a fiver or tenner bet? for an interest?   that will all be gone.  ruk shown legally in pubs  is exorbitant for the pub owner and they simply wont or cant pay it.
Report punchestown January 5, 2019 6:49 PM GMT
and imagine all the pubs and public places  used to have on atr constantly?

------------------------------
There will definitely be viewers of Irish racing lost because of this,how is charging for it now separately now supposed to boost much needed viewership?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com