Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
21 Jul 18 22:18
| Topic/replies: 31,465 | Blogger: workrider's blog
Looks as if the Mafia finally got the peoples message....

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 104
By:
workrider
When: 22 Jul 18 11:20
37 views and no response ?..Fear playing a part or is it unfair loyalty I ask myself. Were have all the people who with passion and gusto arrive to tell me what they think of me gone, have I hit a nerve and just maybe they are starting to question that loyalty, when its so obvious that the Gaa are seen for what they really are!...
By:
Racingqueen
When: 22 Jul 18 17:53
Even for a clown like you, this thread is a new low. The GAA area not "Versus" the late Liam Miller. They have rules and maybe if the FAI made an effort to actually promote the game in the country and support clubs, they'd have more than a glorified shed called Turners Cross to hold the game in.
By:
tobywong.
When: 22 Jul 18 18:31
well said racing , its best ignore that other ar se ho le !
By:
peckerdunne
When: 23 Jul 18 14:28
Personally think if you are running a charity event in this situation,it has nothing to do with

GAA and nor should it.

John Horan is not in a position to call this and i will be surprised it it gets the go ahead.

I very much hope they make the right decision as the potential consequence could well outweigh

negatively the adverse publicity or otherwise.

I also believe some agenda's on the Cork/Munster side are perhaps not in full frontal.
By:
workrider
When: 23 Jul 18 17:13
Queen, Tubby, Gaa lackeys , a shameful thing to be doing , a family in need a ground lying empty, yeah its the FAI 's fault...I see more sensible Gaa men said they feel EMBARRASSED by the actions of the Mafia...
By:
Kelly
When: 23 Jul 18 17:45
Cant see any problem regarding lending premier ( now) GAA ground to the soccer people for a charity event .  Sad that the soccer people have not got a suitable venue given the number of people who support soccer in one way or another in Ireland . Bad husbandry in my opinion .
By:
workrider
When: 23 Jul 18 19:02
Its a charity match for a Corkman , the situation is sadly lacking sympathy from a group of people who say they support Irish people, sadly that only seems to apply if you're a Gaa man. Regarding the support of Irish soccer . We are not blessed with a Government that will donate 30.Million euro to help us unlike the Gaa. That's 30million of taxpayers money by the way...
By:
workrider
When: 23 Jul 18 19:12
Lovely piece on Soccer Republic atm , looking at the Human side of this , unlike the money grabbing Gaa.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 23 Jul 18 19:51
I think this issue is significant and should be approached with a great deal of care.

A bigger picture lads than just parish pump moral bribery.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 23 Jul 18 19:51
Emotional bribery.
By:
Racingqueen
When: 23 Jul 18 21:39
The irony of wonks whose usual contributions to this forum consist of bashing the GAA(the mafia he says) and spouting nonsense about Shamrock Rovers now "demanding" the GAA lend out an asset to a sport which is the richest in the world to play a game organised by a property developer in which the players will have earned minimum 8 to 9 figures during their lives for a family who wonks states is in need despite the fact the person for whom the match is being played would have played for Man Utd, Celtic, Sunderland and Leeds during the richest time in the premier leagues history. He according to media earned 25k per week at Utd alone.
By:
tobywong.
When: 23 Jul 18 21:53
The FAI mismanage their organisation for decades, poor stadiums, poor attendances, bankrupt clubs, hile johhny d and his cohorts take home 6 figure salaries.

Now all of a sudden say we want to use that big GAA stadium there in Cork.

The GAA say no hang on it does not work like that we have rules in place from congress and even outside that there are issues re staffing, catering , security, insurance etc.

The soccer/fai brigade kick up a fuss - backward Ireland, backward GAA, etc.

Yet the GAA has already opened up Croke Park to other sports - provided the FAI a home when they could not even squat in IRFU's while it was been redeveloped, this is 10 years ago and still sweet fa has been done by the fai to readdress this .

I think this game will go ahead but even the day and time of it is ridiculous , shows that they don't give 2 fks about the average joe, as alluded to earlier this has being used as a convenient stick to beat the GAA with on the whole , much the better they finally get their house in order, they are a joke.
By:
The Gotchee
When: 23 Jul 18 21:55
It's a fundraising event. The GAA have been put in an awkward position.
If the multi millionaire superstars of soccer that are prepared to turn up, the likes of Roy Keane, Rio Ferdinand, Giggs, Scholes, Martin O'Neill, Damien Duff et al would put their hand in their pocket and donate 50,000 each the  problem would be  solved. I've a feeling that won't happen.
These ar$eholes don't want to make a contribution, they want the proletariat to to spend their hard earned to support this worthy cause. Their mere appearance is all they want to contribute.
Some of them will probably want to claim back their travel and accommodation expenses.
It's like Bono, Mary Robinson and the late Peter Sutherland telling Ireland to take in 1000's of Syrian refugees. The question is, who's going to pay for them?
The tax evader Bono? Mary (5 houses) Robinson, Peter  Sutherland the Switzerland resident (for paying as little tax as possible).
No, none of the above.
Sure the little Irish man will pay for them.
By:
Racingqueen
When: 23 Jul 18 22:01
2 top quality posts above. well said
By:
workrider
When: 24 Jul 18 09:30
As usual the Gaa lackeys defend the indefensible , of course the Gaa have better Stadiums, after all they PAY no one . At least over 90% of the Gaa lads are now holding up their hands in disgust and shame at the Gaa's stand on this. Fair play to them , unlike others still caught in that 60/70s time warp they see this as a human story rather than a financial one. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Government gave us Soccer lads 30million of taxpayers money to upgrade a few Stadiums , I won't hold my breath, not while the majority of the elected have such close ties with the Gaa and their ilk!
By:
Racingqueen
When: 24 Jul 18 13:19
I see that the bould Damien Duff is on lambasting the GAA this morning. No doubt if the cretin dropped his wallet in the PUC changing rooms, it would have more cash than the gate receipts.

Has Wonks explained why a tin shaking exercise is taking place for a guy who earned 25k per week in the premier league?

How many bread winners that earn less than that in a year will be told they have terminal cancer this year? Will Duff be contributing to those families?
By:
frank60
When: 24 Jul 18 14:30
RQ  to be fair  Damien Duff gave all his earnings [150.000e] that he earned with Shamrock Rovers to Charity, he is know to be very good with his time to a number of charities.
By:
workrider
When: 24 Jul 18 18:00
Laugh Premier...
By:
frank60
When: 24 Jul 18 18:17
Happy
By:
Racingqueen
When: 24 Jul 18 18:57
Thats right Frank and the bould Damien made sure the entire media circus was fully aware of his "donation". Showed himself an K**b during his stint on RTE and him shoving his SR earnings to charity is akin to me flinging a fiver in the poor box. 2.34 million the bould Damien earned per year and supposedly has a net worth of 30 odd million and he's getting credit for not rinsing a LOI pub team for 150k Laugh

Sure why doesn't Duffer fling another 150k at the "Family in need".

Has Wonks yet explained why a "Fundraiser" is taking place for a guys family where he earned 25k per week.
By:
workrider
When: 24 Jul 18 21:37
Queenie, all sportsmen should just give their wages away it seems according to your vision of things, maybe you might put a few quid into the aul collection box yourself. Your bigotry shines like a beacon. How much of their salaries do the guys who run the Gaa give to anything never mind charity, biggest money grabbers in Ireland under the guise of Amateurism . Why work for a living when you can get players to make it for you, and receive nothing in return, just tell them to do it for the COUNTY....Shame on them...
By:
workrider
When: 24 Jul 18 21:44
Just have a look at their accounts , over 60 million last year alone, 5% of that from the IRISH TAXPAYER included in that figure. Boy what a BIG pie to be eating from. Someone getting a nice little earner from that no doubt!
By:
Racingqueen
When: 24 Jul 18 23:20
According to Wiki Duff joined rovers in July 2015 pledging the salary from his 18 month contract worth 150k to charity. "After nine games for the Dublin-based side, on 21 December 2015 he announced his retirement from football".......hope the clown still gave the 150k to charity or did any of his media mates follow up to ask him? Just think of it if Frank is right thats 150k for 9 games. No wonder the LOI is in the dumps.
By:
pa lapsy
When: 25 Jul 18 10:30
Can see both sides of this argument on the thread,it is a rule re soccer that was made a century ago in different times,redunant now imo, i won't comment on the Miller family(RIP) but as Marymount is also a beneficary surely ought to go ahead. No excuses to hide behind rules when morally only one answer.
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 12:54
Well said Pa...
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 13:07
Share to Facebook
Share to Twitter
Share to Email App

The GAA has defended the policy in relation to the inclusion of top salaries in its annual accounts. Under FRS (Financial Reporting Standard) 102, accounts are meant to include the aggregate payments to key management personnel.

For the purposes of this provision the GAA argue that its relevant personnel is the association’s Management Committee, which is a body of volunteers and as such receives no remuneration.

‘Key management personnel’ is defined as: “Those persons having authority and responsibility for planning, directing and controlling the activities of the entity, directly or indirectly, including any director (whether executive or otherwise) of that entity.”

Arguing that Management is the body entrusted with the above functions means that the remuneration of full-time staff in Croke Park does not get listed.
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 13:12
Open to the public eh Queenie, I for one would like to know who's taking home My tax ...A thing that big should make a FULL statement of where its income is going.

Share to Facebook
Share to Twitter
Share to Email App

The GAA has defended the policy in relation to the inclusion of top salaries in its annual accounts. Under FRS (Financial Reporting Standard) 102, accounts are meant to include the aggregate payments to key management personnel.

For the purposes of this provision the GAA argue that its relevant personnel is the association’s Management Committee, which is a body of volunteers and as such receives no remuneration.

‘Key management personnel’ is defined as: “Those persons having authority and responsibility for planning, directing and controlling the activities of the entity, directly or indirectly, including any director (whether executive or otherwise) of that entity.”

Arguing that Management is the body entrusted with the above functions means that the remuneration of full-time staff in Croke Park does not get listed.

Tom Ryan is the GAA’s Director of Finance. Asked was the focus of the accounting standard not the full-time staff rather than the voluntary committee, he accepted that there was a case for that but given the definition of key management personnel, that the latter was a more appropriate route to take.

“You could argue that and we did toss that around with the auditors (Mazars) but what we have in it, the auditors are happy complies with the requirements. We did give it a bit of deliberation but I believe that we meet the required standards. In an organisation like ours, which is volunteer led, you’d be slow to say that the leadership is actually the full-time staff. That would be a little bit anathema.”

Friction

The distinction in the past between full-time administrators and elected officials was a cause of friction with political power more often residing in the network of voluntary committees, appointed by the president that run the organisation’s activities.
By:
Racingqueen
When: 25 Jul 18 13:17
Has George the Greek been found yet Wonks? He'd be able to advise the FAI on financial matters Laugh
By:
kavvie
When: 25 Jul 18 14:22
this has gone off topic.i think the gaa will allow their ground in cork to be used for the fundraiser for a worthy cause and rightly so. and it will be.but to be lectured by the likes of damien duff is  not on at all.

the charge against the gaa  blah blah "grab all association" etc doesnt actually hold water.the likes of john delaney etc are on huge salarys in comparison to any full time officials of the gaa.and every penny the gaa take in in accounted for and goes back to the grassroots for games development , coaching staff, ground development etc.in fact its my opinion the gaa have too many top quality high capacity grounds.  the league of ireland is dying on its feet and the national team doesnt look to be going anywhere fast, share a ground with the irfu ,yet we have m o neill and r keane on a combined salary of over 2 m a year?  nice money eh. meanwhile the gaa have their house in order financially and quietly go about their business with minimum of fuss.
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 15:33
Kavvie, Pa already allured to same, it seems you are the one taking it away from topic. This was a MORAL story or if you like a HUMAN one . A young family needing money for its Children's education etc. Most GAA people I spoke to were horrified with the stand taken , in all fairness to them . Tubby,and Queenie started the money v motive stuff . Nobody is saying for a second the the GAA is not well run, or its financial status is less than any other sporting organisation . The simple fact is there should NEVER have been a moments hesitation in offering the Stadium for such a cause...What has now happened is the GAA is now looked upon as a PRIVILEGED organisation getting MILLIONS of taxpayers money but unwilling to share their Stadiums . Regards the money grabbing statement, Ed Sheeran is hardly a local lad on hard times, yet he graced the place for a couple of nights, oh I forgot it not about the money is it!
By:
Racingqueen
When: 25 Jul 18 15:48
for the kids education eh Wonks? What happened the 25k per year, the money from the Scott Brown Testimonial?

I thought it was a charity event?
By:
Racingqueen
When: 25 Jul 18 15:48
25k per week
By:
kavvie
When: 25 Jul 18 15:50
yes the money is got from ed sheeran but its given back to the grass roots.the gaa are very prudent about earning money. there is or was was no reason  for the gaa not to give the stadium.and there wont be.but putting a gun to their head and public pronouncents byt the likes of damien duff was never the right way of doing it. diplomacy is the way to go..and i think the lad organising it sounds very calm and im sure it will go ahead in front of 45000
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 16:05
See what I mean Kavvie, the lackey Queenie can't help himself poor lad. Amateur by name only it seems , lots of people getting a piece of a HUGE pie. So tell me why a MULTI MILLIONAIRE as in Eds case, is allowed use a ground that's specifically for IRISH sports only, or so the GAA RULES say...A case of money wagging the dogs tail if there ever was one.
By:
kavvie
When: 25 Jul 18 16:14
pop music isnt a rival irish sport !?! it was far from the tail wagging the dog? i dunno how you could think that?  it was commercially viable for the gaa to run a concert with ed playing to the mutual benefit of both.? people enjoyed it.ed made money and the gaa made money.same  thing as the aviva running concerts.  they do it to make money for their association and the clubs all around ireland get the benefit..its simple enough really.
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 16:17
Surely they'll get a cut from this game ...? Or are you telling me the real reason for the refusal is they WONT....
By:
workrider
When: 25 Jul 18 16:19
Maybe its a return to the good aul days you'd like , when even WATCHING a Soccer game got you banned, Ollie suffered that indignity if I remember correctly..
By:
Racingqueen
When: 25 Jul 18 16:23
No one is saying the ground can't be used so long as rules are respected and its for a charity where the spending of the funds can be accounted for and some vague notion like the kids education.
If it was stated Marymount would get 100% of the funds, there would be no issue.
By:
kavvie
When: 25 Jul 18 17:28
ah wr what you taking about the gud aul days? your better than the the ban is gone a long long time..and of course the gaa wouldnt take a fee if its on in the pairc..im sure the boys damien(worth 20m) and roy(40m) will also dig deep into their pockets.
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com