Forums

Irish Sports

There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rocketfingers
22 Feb 17 17:47
| Topic/replies: 9,152 | Blogger: Rocketfingers's blog
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/kids-want-play-soccer-rugby-need-told-no-baffling-comments-county-board-member/114285

Shocking stuff, threaning kids, calling it a war, it's not our fault gaelic football is broken and kids want to test themselves at more attractive sports, i grew up playing all sports and i don't believe and enjoyed all, you would not get this in hurling strongholds imo.

Gaelic football has a serious problem but don't take it out on the kids.

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page
Replies: 90
By:
mincer11
When: 22 Feb 17 17:53
In fairness rocket, it's not everyone can be as sporting as you.
All that fitness stuff really stood to you when you purchased your first blow up doll.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 22 Feb 17 18:21
Laugh
By:
mincer11
When: 22 Feb 17 18:58
Fair play rocket, a sense of humour is a good asset.
I like a guy who can give it and take it. There's a few here who can't
By:
kincsem
When: 22 Feb 17 20:29
More than a few in the GAA still living with the ban.
By:
frank60
When: 22 Feb 17 20:39
The ban was lifted in the early 70s Kincsem, i doubt if anyone is still living with the ban, and if they are they should be kicked out of the GAA
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 22 Feb 17 22:32
Totally agree kincem, gant and Kavvie no doubt will be about soon to defend this sort of buffology.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 22 Feb 17 22:32
Totally agree kincem, gant and Kavvie no doubt will be about soon to defend this sort of buffology.
By:
kavvie
When: 23 Feb 17 09:09
no.there no defending it.but you get them sort of people in every organisation its fair to say.one of my lads  play soccer in preference of importance to gaa.and thats his choice.once hes playing something im happy.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 23 Feb 17 22:16
Well said Kavvie and still no word from Gant, obviously ashamed.
By:
GANT007
When: 23 Feb 17 22:28
Stop letting the GAA call the shots and man up to them. The days are gone in rural Ireland when the fat kid played Rugby and the kid who didn't make the GAA gave soccer a go. Rugby and Soccer are alive and well in rural Ireland. Let kids decide and not bitter parents, the ban that deprived you of dual stardom is long gone Rocketfingers.
By:
frank60
When: 24 Feb 17 00:06
I well remember Kevin Moran winning FA Cup and All Ireland football medals ; most likely the only man to do so. Kevin turned 60 last year.
By:
Rocketfingers
When: 24 Feb 17 01:36
Gant, great one. Deluded. Clown.
By:
kavvie
When: 24 Feb 17 09:27
on a slightly seperate issue,i think the sacking of claudio raneiri last night by  leicester city goes to show what a  souless cess pit the "beautiful game" has become.  a lovely gentleman who got a team who were 5000/1 to win last season with a team of mostly journeymen was the outstanding managerial achievement of the last 50 years(at least). wednesday night he got them within a 1/0 victory of the last 8 in the champions league. following morning he get the bullet.
By:
workrider
When: 24 Feb 17 10:16
So right Kavvie,a amazing achievement and then this,I actually hope they go down now.
By:
GANT007
When: 24 Feb 17 11:38
Rocketfingers.....I do apologise, touchy subject for you.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 11:39
I think they would've been grand anyway, but I can see how it has happened.

Don't think they were ever going to be relegated and still don't. Mancini should go well there if he gets it. They have plenty of quality going forward and I when they're right and I think the lad Ndidi they signed in midfield will improve them a lot. Looks a big athlete that can play too.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 11:39
As in Ranieri would've kept them up.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 11:41
Mancini should be able to incorporate that low block stuff Ranieri had them doing last season. Mancini is also a bit of a c*nt, he relishes confrontation, which looks like it might be needed.

Mahrez is playing himself out of a big move at the minute. If Leicester decide to get ride in the summer, i'd say he could be value.
By:
monarch
When: 24 Feb 17 11:58
Apparently the players told the club owners they lost faith in the manager. What a shower of c***ts. Non league and French Ligue 2 players winning a Premiere League and now their bitching. Should be breaking their backs for Ranieri for what they achieved. Hope they go down for this.
By:
kavvie
When: 24 Feb 17 12:02
my one wish would be they go down..
By:
itcanbedone
When: 24 Feb 17 12:39
It's very very sad but it's a business decision and you have to take the emotion out of it.  Even though I think he would have been as likely to keep them up as any replacement.  That said we are not privy to what is really going on behind the scenes.

Badly handled from a PR pov... a shame they couldn't have moved him upstairs as Director of Football for Life or offered him double the money to step down rather than be sacked.

One of the most unpopular decisions in Football history will be also be seen as one of the worst decisions in Football history if they go down. Ballsy call, a lot a stake for the owners.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 24 Feb 17 14:33
Claudio came when many would not.

He had nothing to prove.

The club were left with no option in my opinion.

Relegation was looking increasingly likely.

The players are a disgrace, not all of them perhaps, but a senior loyal pro in that dressing room should have spilled blood.

We should be reading about training ground bust ups but are not, which speaks volumes in itself...

Appalling stuff.

Keano got it right some years ago with the prawn sandwich interview.

The last bastion of the working class is long gone.

Maggie has a lot to answer for............
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 15:12
That blood and guts outlook drives me mad to be honest, Pecker. It has held back football in this country for years. There are technical reasons for why Leicester are struggling apart from lack of effort. The likes of Vardy, Huth, Wes Morgan, Fuchs; don't tell me those guys ain't trying. The clamp down on shirt tugging in the 18 yard box off of corners has forced Leicester to change their style on defenbding corners for one thing.

I haven't seen enough of them live, but watched them against Seville. I could see straight away that Mahrez wasn't trying, I'll give you that one. There will be others as well, but the biggest issue is that the attack has suffered without the athleticism of Kante getting the ball back in good areas for quick counters. Drinkwater couldn't make the team under Pearson, he has gone back to the player that he was without having an absolute superman next to him that covered acres.

The defence has suffered because 3 of the back 4 apart from Fuchs have no legs and no longer have Kante in front of them pressing the ball, teams are able to play down the sides and in front of Simpson, Huth and Morgan now.

No amount of players arguing with each other will improve the above. The way they could have improved it was through buying well, they didn't; although as I said, I like Ndidi as a player.

I'm all for the likes of Roy Keane, Johnny Sexton spilling blood; they are top players and they command that respect because they can play. The likes of Huth or Morgan doing that; someone like Mahrez will simply retort "What are you saying, you can't even do your own job?"

There's a lad at Rangers, now QPR called Clint Hill, the guy is an absolute fraud of a footballer, can't play and no pace; but he's a great man for spilling blood. The amount of teams that he has played for that struggle is unreal.

Also, re the class thing. Football is the last pure bastion of social mobility. The idea of a young Arab guy from a **** in France earning 120k p/w irks a lot of people. Not me, he is reigning footballer of the year coming from nothing. He earned it. He was never heralded,none of this was laid out for him and I'm sure there were times when it probably would've made more sense to step away from football, he persisted when other wouldn't ahve and deserves everything he has gotten. I'd rather see the money in the pockets of the players than the executives or shareholders. There is a narrative that it is players wages driving the price of everything' I think its bullsh!t.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 15:14
One guy can make that much of a difference. look at Barcelona without the control, and the exact word is control that Xavi used to give them. Xavi let them play every game exactly on their terms; look at them now.
By:
itcanbedone
When: 24 Feb 17 15:19
Great post Neil.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 15:33
Bit of a rant I think! I'm probably an optimist, but I think most lads do try.
By:
peckerdunne
When: 24 Feb 17 15:36
Neil,i would need time to respond properly.
Some very good salient points made which i mostly agree with.

I can tell you know what you are talking about when many don't, actually.

I did not mean blood and guts in footballing terms but more in the sphere of manning up and taking responsibility as opposed to going upstairs which is a disgrace from pro footballers full stop, but to a manager who has guided you to success, shocking.   

I took my son to the Leicester game at the bridge in October.I knew then within 15 minutes their season was doomed..

They had nothing, absolutely nothing to offer in any department.

The defence is shot. Probably a number of injections last season.

As you pointed out, Kante,flanks pace,etc

There is more to it than that though Neil...
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 15:55
Oh right, think I probably took you up wrong. If they went behind his back to the board, I'd agree that is low. Something has soured there alright, I think it is that they have lost the player that made the team tick, and they haven't handled it well.

I thought you mean't take responsibility as in thundering in to people, whereas, I'm thinking now you mean more start doing the right things on the football pitch and in training.

Drinkwater for example, he seems to be playing more sideways and backwards passes because he is afraid to go forward and maybe lose it knowing the team might struggle to get it back. Whereas last season he would've passed forward knowing he had the insurance of a great ball-winner next to him. Taking responsibility as you put it, would be Drinkwater playing the ball forward irrespective of who is playing next to him because it is the right thing to do even if it might make you look bad. I think that's what you mean, pecker and we are broadly on the same page.

Same everywhere, someone like Simpson thinking, "if I support this attack as a right-back in modern football should, and it breaks down which I think it will, we've nobody in midfield who is likely to slow the opposition attack down and I'll have to track all the way back..... and I'm not sure what I have in the gas tank!"
By:
itcanbedone
When: 24 Feb 17 15:56
players are f00ked now anyway...perform now and the question will be asked why couldn't you have done that earlier in the season...or go down and suffer all that that entails.

For all we now the players did 'go upstairs' to bat for Claudio.  Who knows the real story?.

I wouldn't get to upset for him, in retrospect.  Its a dog eat dog business, sacking comes with he territory, he has been sacked more times than he cares to remember, mostly with excellent payoffs.  He can walk into his choice of  multi million dollar jobs in China tomorrow if he wants. It could be worse!
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 15:59
Agree, while I'm loathe to criticise anybody for what they earn and the lifestyle they have. When someone finds themselves at that place in life, they generally have a tonne of options when things go wrong.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 16:13
There's an interview with Floyd Mayweather before the Pacquaio fight where a famous American tv news journalist, I think it was Katy Couric(sic) asks Mayweather in his gym whether he thinks it is ridiculous (or something like that) that he was earning $200,000,000 for the fight. Mayweather replies deadpan, "absolutely not."

It was like he said without saying, with his inflection and posture, that he had put his whole life into his career (if boxing had gone wrong he would've been nowhere) into this and this was the big score he had planned meticulously for the past 6 years.

She didn't know what to do with that. For a guy who has had no education and is apparently illiterate, I thought he answered the question brilliantly.

For every top sports person, even the guys like Mahrez who patently aren't trying right now. Can we kind of say that they have earnt that right because just by dint of where they are now, there must have been a time when they had to absolutely burst themselves when the likelihood of reward was likely minimal and they would probably end up on the side of the road.
By:
neill d
When: 24 Feb 17 16:14
typo riddled apologies, on phone.
By:
itcanbedone
When: 24 Feb 17 16:41
Good luck to any footballer who can make X in a week....takes enormous ability, talent and dedication to succeed in such a compeditive profession, or most lucrative professions for that matter.
By:
Kelly
When: 26 Feb 17 01:18
There are backwoodsmen in every strata of society , GAA no exception .  Thankfully though they are few and far between now , certainly compared to my youth when then "ban" was in force .  Most of us ignored it knowing it was a relic of the past and that its main resonance was in certain parts of the island . Took a long time though to get it lifted through Congress .

The GAA operates in every corner of Ireland , south and north , doing a brilliant job for society and youth .  Country would be a much more complicated one if the GAA were not operating on a daily basis .  The facilities everywhere are brilliant compared to what we experienced in our youth , and the expertise demanded by those running the show is commendable .  The main reason for the healthy state of the GAA is that there is no "professional" element to it , sucking all the money out .  All the money the GAA has raised is spent , generally wisely ( except maybe here in Down )on local and provincial and national facilities . None of our players are contemplating going to China at the end of their careers for a paltry 3/4 million a week for kicking a ball .

Most of the soccer facilities ( pitches) I know about are funded by the state , unlike the club scene prevalent in the GAA . The whole soccer scene is geared to the top teams , spurred on by unbelievable coverage / hype from the media . Hype does not necessarily mean increase in quality . Not one of current England team would have got on the 1966 winning World Cup team , so much for progress in 50 years plus ! And not one of our international players , south or north , actually plays in Ireland as far as I know .

Rugby used to be organised mainly through the local clubs , now it is largely top down driven as far as I can see , interest has moved from smaller local club matches to the provincial and international stage , inevitable result of professionalism presumably . The rugby people generally though operate their own clubs and grounds unlike the soccer model , and fair play to them they are doing relatively well in terms of recruitment and in producing new talent .

Young people come in all shapes and sizes  , with varying levels of skills . So kids should be trying all forms of sport , until they adapt to what suits them best . My 6 eldest local grandchildren all play GAA -- football and hurling/camogie , but they also play soccer and the girls netball and it keeps them busy and away from the all invasive computer games and mobile media madness for some of the time  , it is character building and team forming . Eventually they will probably also try their hand at golf given family commitment in that sport . Nobody dictates to them what sport they should be doing , any sport is better than none .

Hurling is in a great place , pity it is concentrated skill wise in about 8 counties of our 32 , whereas the football scene is much more democratic except in August and September recently . Clubs can though outdo their counties in terms of national achievement , which generates a lot of interest and keeps the "club" thing going .  The GAA clubs I am familair with work harder and longer  with the youth in their district than any other sports organisations , and all for free . The hand pass carp is ruining football , and while it might suit the smaller players the game is becoming basketball oriented tactically , it is no longer strictly "football " , but there seems to be a caucus somewhere who prefer their chances with the current rules .
By:
GANT007
When: 26 Feb 17 08:41
Poor auld Rocketfingers should have held off his frequent attack on other sports until his soccer team played.
The 11 new lads you got in must not be up to much, 45 year old brazilian scored a hat trick against them after getting 3 hours off work to attend the match. Surely it's time to let people from Sligo try out for the team.
By:
itcanbedone
When: 26 Feb 17 10:51
Kelly, there is a new up and coming sport, it's called MMA.  It didn't exist "back in your day" so you might not have heard of it.

I don't know if it will be for you, given the fact that you have banned your grandkids from taking up rugby on the basis of health and safety.  But on the basis that kids "should be trying all forms of sports" perhaps they should give it a whirl?
By:
frank60
When: 26 Feb 17 17:48
MMA might be getting a bit worried that there cash cow [ Conor McGregor] is thinking of bigger things v Mayweather in the not to distant future.
By:
macrocky
When: 27 Feb 17 13:34
Mma is a load of thuggery.
I see irish govt have asked Sweden how they regulate the sport????. Due to fatalities in the past
By:
Kelly
When: 27 Feb 17 13:42
I have no jurisdiction over what sports my grandchildren play , itcanbedone .  Another invention on your part . No surprise that though . The club rugby scene up here in the north does not seem as vibrant as it once was ( regularly 3k plus attendances at Ravenhill for Instonians vs Collegians in my youth ) , might be different in south , only matches I attended down there clubwise was at Terenure in the sixties , so limited knowledge re current situation . Ulster are flying attendance wise though , every fixture is sold out , but whether or not the flow of players from local clubs is up to the mark might be subject of a debate .

On the broader health and safety debate re rugby , most of my rugby friends suffer from bad knees , backs , necks , arthritis , as they get older .  My GAA playing friends of the same era are generally still fit . Proof of the pudding .
Page 1 of 3  •  Previous 1 | 2 | 3 | Next
sort by:
Show
per page

Post your reply

Text Format: Table: Smilies:
Forum does not support HTML
Insert Photo
Cancel
‹ back to topics
www.betfair.com