Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
olddesperado
14 Feb 17 19:47
| Topic/replies: 7,445 | Blogger: olddesperado's blog
Died today while covering a mare.

One of my favourite flat horses so no quips about being a good way to go or valentines day etc.

I almost bought a foal of his a few months ago but plumped for a scorpion instead because of the dams side.

I think his stock will do well though,
Pause Switch to Standard View Fame and glory rip
Show More
Report dj876 February 14, 2017 8:49 PM GMT
National Hunt sire- Slow as a boat.

Although was racing against the classiest horse of his generation - STS nearly drove AP around the bend I'd imagine
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 8:55 PM GMT
Almost anything that wins at a mile and a half and certainly above that becomes a NH sire now dj,

They dont even contemplate flat mares now.
Report mitch leary February 14, 2017 9:00 PM GMT
In relation to scorpion. He now stands at shade oak in England. For some reason you couldn't give his stock away over here. Didn't cover many mares last year I heard. Still there's a few decent ones around. Do you know why he is so unpopular desperado?
Report wildmanfromborneo February 14, 2017 9:05 PM GMT
They all have a lot of white in the eye.
Have got the reputation of being ungenuine .
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 9:16 PM GMT
Im not sure about the ungenuine bit but they can be a handful.

Montjeu himself had his own opinion on things and seems to have passed it down.

My one can have her moments too.

The lack of very few top ones hasnt helped his reputation either so hopefully Mite bite can go to the top for Nicky H
Report dj876 February 14, 2017 9:19 PM GMT
Was Daryl Jacob drunk riding him in the Feltham? Brain dead!
Report Tolmi February 14, 2017 9:24 PM GMT
Considering Scorpion would have covered plenty of decent mares I would imagine his appalling overall winners to runners ratio might have a lot to do with his departure from Coolmore.
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 9:27 PM GMT
Hopefully there will be another day in about a month.
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 9:32 PM GMT
It wouldnt have helped tolmi,

He would have one of the lowest strike rates in the top 20 or so sire stats.

However i believe {hope anyway} that his stock is getting better and tougher.

He had either 3 or 4 ptp winners this weekend alone.
Report Tolmi February 14, 2017 9:46 PM GMT
Hope you get on ok with yours olddesperado but I find once NH sires become unfashionable they can be hard to sell on at sales.
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 9:57 PM GMT
Ye i wouldnt disagree with that,

The dams side is pretty good and i have a couple of years before she hits the sales so maybe might bite or a few others will boost his reputation a bit.
Report pa lapsy February 14, 2017 10:10 PM GMT
Very best of luck Old Desperado,really hope it is at the very least fairly decent, kick a$$
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 10:16 PM GMT
Thanks pa but she will be good for someone else hopefully,

My plan currently is to sell on at 3
Report neill d February 14, 2017 10:23 PM GMT
He might have more of a chance as a Broodmare sire anyway olddesperado. I can see German Bred horses doing something in NH ala Sholokhov given the way they breed horses over there, would German sires (not ones by Saddlers Wells like sholokov obviously) like that be an outcross kind of option for her notwithstanding that i think I read Montjeu & Galileo have German horses in their bloodlines.

I remember thinking Scorpion was gonna beat **** in the Irish leger one year, exact memory of it isn't great but I can't remember if he chucked it or did seamie or someone hook him!
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 10:37 PM GMT
Honestly dont know neill ,  its not something ive given much thought to yet,

As i say the plan is to sell her unless injury or something prevents.

Getaway is very fashionable at the moment for what he,s produced although very early doors but maybe others are thinking like you re the german angle.
Report olddesperado February 14, 2017 10:45 PM GMT
RE the irish leger , i cant remember myself ,  i might look it up tomorrow but from memory Y eats needed winding up so maybe thats why scorpion looked liked beating him but around that time the firm did ride very much to orders so you never know.
Report workrider February 15, 2017 10:06 AM GMT
Old,Scorpion was unwanted shall we say,you could hardly give them away in the end,no disrespect to yours,he was getting huge books of mares at the start,200/300 one season alone ,hes thrown little or nothing track wise,its ok getting p2p winners but the track is the true test and he hasn't come up to the mark there,hence his departure.Best of luck with your filly I hope shes lucky for you.
Report RoyalAcademy February 15, 2017 12:58 PM GMT
My one can have her moments too.

If she's costing you much I would be seriously considering her future oldd.

Scorpion hasn't produced a 4yo maiden point winning mare yet (into third season of runners) and of those that have won, only Doyle's Kilcullen Lady made more than 10k at the sales-and she looks useless. Exporting one to England will usually make winning easier but none of Scorpion's 10 winning mares in points have troubled the judge under Rules. There's a couple selling this week in Cheltenham that will give some indication of their value including dual winner Bloodstream-who looks best mare to date.

Cut 'n' run I'd say.
Report olddesperado February 16, 2017 9:13 PM GMT
I thought they made ok money today,

£36k and £22k not sold .

Harold and willie paid £130k for the only gelding,  sending love winner of his only ptp.

My one is pretty correct { small bit of work needed } and boasts a much better page than either of the mares today.

Im not in for much and have my own small yard so keep is small enough unless disaster strikes so touch wood she will not be standing me too much in two years time.
Report olddesperado February 16, 2017 9:58 PM GMT
£480 for the top lot a son of Fleminsfirth who won his maiden point.

I believe the time was poor and the 2nd and 3rd were close enough so it was a serious price to pay.

Throw in 7 years training , trainers and jockeys pecentage of winnings and he would have to win over £700 k to break even.
Report workrider February 16, 2017 10:29 PM GMT
Only £480 makes your purchase look dear Old.....Laugh
Report olddesperado February 17, 2017 11:47 PM GMT
I blame you anyway WR as it was your suggestion to by a yearling and form a syndicate that got me thinking,

If you remember i suggested forming a syndicate to pinhook one instead.

So if this goes well great Cool, if it goes badly its all your fault Grin
Report workrider February 18, 2017 1:11 PM GMT
Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com