Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Ozymandius
01 Dec 16 11:20
| Topic/replies: 18,108 | Blogger: Ozymandius's blog
Perhaps its just a publicity stunt or even a gambit to put pressure on the UFC....but exciting stuff nonetheless.

Obviously Mayweather would destroy him in pure boxing, but some cojones to step in with him and an extraordinary pay day for doing so.  Let be honest  everyone wants to see it..if only for the  build up and war of words.

And then you dream.....feck it... a punchers chance....Mayweather isn't an attacking fighter per se, perhaps if he does unload on an inferior opponent, he opens himself up to that left hand.
Pause Switch to Standard View Conor McGregor 'issued boxing licence...
Show More
Report neill d December 1, 2016 1:32 PM GMT
Would be some spectacle. Fair play to Conor stepping out for it because it is something Mayweather would never do.

With a kid on the way, I wonder is McGregor looking at cashing out. He is the only guy in combat sports who draws like Mayweather(even though Conor himself hasn't been paid like it yet).

McGregor get $100million for this, but presume it would mean the end of his time in UFC with how much they are against cross-promotional stuff.

Mayweather being gun-shy these days actually makes this fight more dangerous for Conor, more likely to be a slow, prawn out, one-sided beating which is where injuries occur. Eubank Jr, actually injured that Blackwell kid for the very reason he didn't have enough pop to put him away.

I don't know much about UFC, but punching with the 14oz gloves is a completely different thing, hope McGregor employs a top-attacking coach like Freddie Roach, even still you'd have to be prepared for his hands to look a little bit spastic.
Report peckerdunne December 1, 2016 4:34 PM GMT
Everyone does not want to see...

Well perhaps most 12 year old's do.
Report Ozymandius December 1, 2016 4:42 PM GMT
Somebody show Pecker the numbers, baby Wink

#breakingrecords
Report Rocketfingers December 1, 2016 6:29 PM GMT
McGregor is a great, "Hey Dana 60g's baby" CoolCool
Report brain dead jockeys December 1, 2016 6:48 PM GMT
how u guys fall for this nonsense is beyond me.
Report Ozymandius December 1, 2016 7:05 PM GMT
The main barrier to it happening is McGregor's contractual tie-up with UFC.  If he could potentially challenge and break this contract (for example on the basis of restrictve trade practice)...then he might be able to box.

Alternatively the UFC might grant him an exemption for a cut in the purse and a guarantee to return to the UFC fold.  His profile would rise even further which would eventually benefit UFC.

Both are huge longshots...but sometimes money talks.
Report frank60 December 1, 2016 7:33 PM GMT
Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, shot down the prospect of a McGregor-Mayweather bout when reached Wednesday night by ESPN's Dan Rafael.

"It's all a game. It's all a calculated effort to gain more fans," Ellerbe told ESPN in a phone interview. "He got a boxing license. Congratulations to him. Conor McGregor can say anything he wants to, but he has a boss and his name is [UFC president] Dana White. He is under contract to the UFC, and if he wanted to fight Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match, he can't because his bosses wouldn't allow that to happen.

"The brass [from WME-IMG] who recently purchased the UFC are very smart people, and they would never -- and put this in bold caps -- let him step into a boxing ring with Floyd Mayweather because everyone knows what the outcome would be," Ellerbe added. "He would get his ass beat from pillar to post." As you say Ozy a hugh longshot , i will be very surprised if it happens.
Report neill d December 1, 2016 9:46 PM GMT
There's enough money in it, that they'd be stupid not to do it. Floyd will fight again, there is no appetite for a Pacquaio rematch, he has already schooled Canelo and Golovkin is way way too big.

Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Nevin Spence, Kell Brook; none of them are big enough names to get Floyd the kind of purse he would want to come back.

This is just Ellerbe (who is only a street hustler who Mayweather knew from childhood anyway) playing hardball with an eye to the negotiations (for once he'll be negotiating with someone with who he is equally met in terms of star power). Floyd has no place else to go except McGregor.

On the other side, a Mayweather fight is the only fight where outside of the strictures of the UFC, McGregor can actually get paid what he is worth as a draw.

The only other interesting fight out there for Floyd is Lomachenko who is presently pondering moving up to 135lb; Floyd fights at 147..... still Loma probably beats him even there with his hand-speed and movement, check this lad out, he's the best pound for pound fighter in the world, any sport!

This thing happens lads, maybe not for 12 months or 18 months, but it happens. It'll be May or September 2018 on one of the big Mexican holidays when Floyd always fights. Give Conor a bit of time to get a coach and some credibility. It'll be the biggest grossing event in the history of sport.
Report neill d December 1, 2016 9:49 PM GMT
McGregor will probably do Wrestlemania in the interim while this is being put together.

UFC guys, is there any outstanding fight for him in that at lightweight I think it is, where he campaigns now?
Report Ozymandius December 1, 2016 10:02 PM GMT
I doubt he wants to do wrestlemania ..or will...but might flirt with it as a bargaining ploy with UFC.

Also does he go back to UFC without getting equity.....would be a climbdown.....

Outstanding fight...dunno...Aldo?
Report neill d December 1, 2016 11:52 PM GMT
I'd watch the Aldo fight, but I dunno will Conor get much credit for it. He has the kid next year, time out/boxing training/ handy wrestlemania appearance.

Biggest issue I see with a Floyd fight now I think of it is whether McGregor can do 147lb.
Report frank60 December 2, 2016 1:42 PM GMT
The one fight Conor wouldn,t take and that is Khabib Nurmagomedov an animal of a fighter, [never beaten] he will earn as much as he can in the meantime, if you haven.t seen  Khabib fighting heres heres a taste of the Russian eagle.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3cyy-ML5E       Viewer Discretion is AdvisedHappy
Report Ozymandius December 2, 2016 2:09 PM GMT
Am sure it will happen at some point, yer man has only had 8 fights in UFC and who has he really beaten?  Dos Anjos probably the biggest name he has fought...who took him the distance.....now Dos Anjos was knocked out  Alvarez...and we know what McGregor did to Alvarez.

Also Khabib has a habit of pulling out injured at the last minute, he even once failed the make the weight....

McGregor is not in the habit of dodging fights...doubt he will start with this guy if the numbers stack up....even if fighting style wise he is not an ideal opponent for McGregor.
Report Ozymandius December 2, 2016 2:10 PM GMT
Dos Anjos was knocked out BY Alvarez
Report frank60 December 2, 2016 2:40 PM GMT
Khabibs  style wouldn,t suit McGregor Ozy, Khabibs ground game is the best in the Division, sure if it was a boxing match Conor would knock the head of him . Time will tell.
Report frank60 December 2, 2016 3:07 PM GMT
Interesting to note  McGregors biggest fan base is in Russia.
Report dj876 December 2, 2016 3:53 PM GMT
I don't regard UFC as a sport and don't understand its popularity but know plenty who are engrossed by it. Fair enough.

I wouldn't have much time for McGregor but would respect his ability to maximise his earning potential and to realise that he has a relatively short period of time to do this.

This is almost certainly a ploy to leverage his earnings in UFC.

His boxing ability is extremely limited. His greatest skills are in PR.

He would be utterly embarrassed by Mayweather or for that matter the majority of professional boxers.

McGregor may not realise but his coach comes across as someone that is in touch with reality.This sport has very little history or strength in depth

To comment on him being the greatest Irish sportsperson of all time is embarrassing regardless of his wealth or fame. The sport hasn't any "history" or strength in depth. Even though cross sport comparisons are highly subjective, I would have similar sentiments towards female boxing (no strength in depth).
Report neill d December 2, 2016 4:09 PM GMT
Mayweather would toy with him, indeed. I just wonder would the big pay cheque make it worth his while that he'd swallow his pride.
Report neill d December 2, 2016 4:20 PM GMT
For Mayweather/Pacquaio, I read there was a $250 million purse split 60/40 in Mayweather's favour. I'd reckon this would do half that at least and probably a bit more. That's why I reckon it happens.
Report neill d December 2, 2016 4:26 PM GMT
I left out Terence Crawford as a potential Floyd oponent, probably the most dangerous relatively realistic one; but it looks like they'll feed Pacquaio to him as they're both with Bob Arum, he fights at light-welter (maybe they could do Pac there) but I'd say he'll be tied up for a long time with fights and such is his speed and skill, he isn't the type of oponent Mayweather wants at this time of his career.

He's also boring as fck and a bit of a 'hoodrat' from what you'd read.
Report frank60 December 2, 2016 5:15 PM GMT
If there was a poll of  the greatest Irish sportspersons ever i would be surprised if  McGregor made the top 6 or 7, but the sport of MMA is one of the fastest growing sports in the world, sold for over 4 billon dollars this year it gets world wide Attention, theres  no doubt that much of its is down to Conor whether people like him or not, and UFC know this.      Neill i doubt if Mayweather will fight again
Report Catch Me ifyoucan January 19, 2020 11:27 AM GMT
“Sports Personality of the Year” for sure after them 40 seconds Devil
Report Vubiant January 19, 2020 3:38 PM GMT
Hardly longer than for most pro golfers  to line up a putt.Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com