Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Catch Me ifyoucan
02 Nov 15 11:49
| Topic/replies: 18,579 | Blogger: Catch Me ifyoucan's blog
'THE RACE that stops a nation' from Flemington Tuesday 04:00AM - that's very late tonite !

BEST OF LUCK to Willie and Aidan.

Have backed these for an interest

Max Dynamite
Bondi Beach
Hokko Brave
Pause Switch to Standard View ((( MELBOURNE CUP ))) from the Irish...
Show More
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 11:57 AM GMT
Sadly no BART CUMMINGS this year...12 Cups on the mantelpiece.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 11:58 AM GMT
THE FIELD

http://www.races.com.au/melbourne-cup/
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 12:00 PM GMT
The Stats...
4 of past 5 winners - 6yo's.
4 of past 5 winners - drawn Barrier 10 or wider.
5 of past 5 winners carried less 56.5kg, with 4 of past 5 winners 55kg or less.
5 of past 5 winners - had a lead up run of 2000m or further in Australia.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 12:04 PM GMT
BETTING...

Fame Game 4
Trip To Paris 15/2
Preferment 11
Max Dynamite 11.....Willie's.
Almoonqith 16
Criterion 16
Our Ivanhowe 20
The United States 20
Who Shot Thebarman 20
Bondi Beach 20.....Aidan's
Gust Of Wind 33
Hartnell 33
Red Cadeaux 33.....great record !
Excess Knowledge 33
Sky Hunter 40
Hokko Brave 40
50's bar
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 12:23 PM GMT
Keep your eyes peeled for Francesca Cumani Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 12:35 PM GMT
The Melbourne Cup will be shown on Eurosport (Sky 410) from 3.30am to 4.30am GMT. Race off 4am. It's not on ATR.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 2, 2015 12:51 PM GMT
1/ Snow Sky – Roger Moore (jockey). Even with a former James Bond riding him, this bloke’s no hope. And his trainer has a knighthood. As if..
2/ Criterion – Michael Walker. Genuine chance. Trainer David Hayes has his mojo back, and Walker can ride. Classy, but a query on whether he’ll see out the 3200 metres.
3/ Fame Game – Zac Purton. The favourite. And Purton is a gun. The Japanese say he can’t be beaten. At least I think that’s what they said. Over-rated for mine. And needs a bone-dry track. Leave me out.
4/ Our Ivanhowe – Ben Melham. Named after the mighty Ivanhoes footy club in Cairns. Which is a surprise given he’s from Germany. Trainer Freedman knows how to win a Cup. Top Six chance.
5/ Big Orange – David ‘Luttsy’ Lutteral. Named in honour of our great redheads. The horse carrying the hopes of all ginger-tops. They actually had to change the rules to allow a ranga to have a ride in the great race. Luttsy will give his all .. but the horse will still be running after dark.
6/ Hartnell – James McDonald. Not doing enough, even with the services of our most improved jockey. Pass.
7/ Hokko Brave – Craig Williams. The second of the Japanese raiders. Forget his Caulfield Cup run. Tell your mates he’s a better chance than the favourite, and glow in their praise when he rockets home into the placings.
8/ Max DynamiteFrankie Dettori or Rod Stewart. There are three things the Irish are passionate about. Guinness and racing. This bloke can spring a huge shock, especially if it’s wet.
9/ Red Cadeaux – Paul Hogan. Hoges has been given the ride in honour of the horse being named Australian of the Year. He won’t win, but cheer him anyway.
10/ Trip to Paris – Tommy Berry. The winner. Get on and get on for plenty. The more you put on the more you get back.
11/ Who Shot Thebarman – Blake Shinn. Ran third last year. Johnny Cash sang a song about him. Or Waylon Jennings. Anyway .. trainer Chris Waller is winning everything except the RSL raffle .. so watch this fella.
12/ Sky Hunter – Bill Shorten. The Opposition Leader will do anything for a lift in the polls. They could start an hour early and still not run in the first ten.
13/ The Offer – Damien Oliver. One of Gai’s hopes. Top trainer. Top jockey. Might not be good enough, but the dynamic duo will give him every chance.
14/ Grand Marshal – Jim Cassidy. The ‘Pumper’s’ last Cup ride. Sadly it won’t be a winning one.
15/ Preferment – Hugh Bowman. Huge chance. The best of the locals, with the Cox Plate-winning jockey. Include him in anything you do.
16/ Quest for More – Damian Lane. If he wins I will give each and every one of you a glass of champagne. (Publisher’s note – see above).
17/ Almoonquith – Dwayne Dunn. Should be penalised for having a silly name.
18/ Kingfisher – Bronwyn Bishop. She asked stewards if she could use the chopper to tow him along. Even then would struggle.
19/ Prince of Penzance – Andrew O’Keefe. Instead of wearing silks he’ll be in the pirate costume.
20/ Bondi Beach – Brett Prebble. He’ll be riding topless in honour of the backpackers who’ll be cheering him.
21/ Sertorius – Craig Newitt. The horse ran against Phar Lap back in the 1930s. Stewards have given permission for him to run with the aid of a walker.
22/ The United States – Barack Obama. A lightweight threat. Include him in your multiple bets.
23/ Excess Knowledge – Kerrin McEvoy. Another of Gai’s runners. Scraped into the field with a win last Saturday. Not for us.
24/ Gust of Wind – Mark Latham. Now there’s an omen bet if ever there was one. You’ll hear him belly-aching before they hit the straight.
So there you have it. Winners..horses to avoid... Happy Cup Day! as they say downunder.
Report kavvie November 2, 2015 6:17 PM GMT
grand marshall ew 65/1 here
Report Kelly November 3, 2015 4:13 AM GMT
127 0n here , Penzance . First female jockey winner for the race .

Max came with a great run , just not able to get ahead in last furlong .  Drifted out to 20 on Betfair , ran a great race .
Report Eddie Batt November 3, 2015 4:32 AM GMT
Dettori had a mare.
Report punchestown November 3, 2015 1:46 PM GMT
Dettori & Spencer both banned after the race.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 12, 2015 11:53 AM GMT
WWWW = WILLIE will want to WIN this more than ever now !
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 12, 2015 11:54 AM GMT
What was second prize money ?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 19, 2016 1:00 AM BST
International Melbourne Cup contender Wicklow Brave has had a solid work-out at Geelong after a delayed start.
The Willie Mullins-trained stayer had his gallop put back after he shifted the plate on his near fore foot on the float trip from Werribee on Wednesday.

Wicklow Brave is a $15 chance in Melbourne Cup betting as he bids to go one better than his stablemate Max Dynamite who finished second under Frankie Dettori last year.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 30, 2016 6:26 PM GMT
Just a G1 Handicap of $6,557,069...with a little Orish interest.
Report mitch leary October 30, 2016 8:49 PM GMT
And what a sh1tty race it is. For years I would get up to listen to or watch it. What a waste of time. I'd get far more enjoyment watching a 3m handicap hurdle in thurles. They're easily satisfied with their race that stops a nation. I'd hate to see what it was like if they had the grand national there. They'd need a month off after.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 31, 2016 6:20 PM GMT
Nearly time to nail your colours to the mast - that is if it's bright BIG ORANGE of course !

The Michael Bell-trained top weight Big Orange ran a massive race last year when fifth and looks favoured by being placed in stall seven.
Jockey Jamie Spencer rates Big Orange as the best stayer in Europe and is bullish about his chances. "I wouldn't swap Big Orange for anything."

Set your clocks for 3.55am
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 31, 2016 9:29 PM GMT
40yo Dec Meagher - 'Big Orange would have gone mighty close if he'd gone a stride faster last year. I'm sure Jamie knows this. Better horse now. Good draw'. - callitthekissofdeath Devil
Report Kelly November 1, 2016 12:10 AM GMT
Site is up the left tonight . Service announcements do not fit the real situation , which is that you cant get any reaction if trying to place or lay a bet .
Report Kelly November 1, 2016 4:17 AM GMT
Tony martin hitting the crossbar , just failed , Heartbreak .  Cracking run though .
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 1, 2016 5:55 AM GMT
Catch Me ifyoucan • November 12, 2015 11:54 AM GMT
What was second prize money ?

Et tu Brutus
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 1, 2016 5:59 AM GMT
https://www.punters.com.au/melbourne-cup/melbourne-cup-prize/
Report CheltenhamRoar November 1, 2016 1:56 PM GMT

Nov 2, 2015 -- 6:35AM, Catch Me ifyoucan wrote:

The Melbourne Cup will be shown on Eurosport (Sky 410) from 3.30am to 4.30am GMT. Race off 4am. It's not on ATR.

Eh? Where did you get your duff info from?

Report Arklearkle November 1, 2016 7:17 PM GMT
I think we now have the proof its just a blown-up handicap.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 6, 2017 2:37 PM GMT
Johannes Vermeer WINS for AOB to cap a Fantastic Year Worldwide

Set your clocks for 3.55am
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 6, 2017 2:42 PM GMT
Marmelo 15/2
Almandin 17/2
Humidor 10
Johannes Vermeer 10
Wall of Fire 12
Rekindling 14
Max Dynamite 16
Thomas Hobson 18
20's bar
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 6, 2017 3:28 PM GMT
1459 views so far Devil
Report elvissss November 7, 2017 1:04 AM GMT
You will never know

1459 views so far Devil

So what? 1450 of them from ur good self Crazy
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 7, 2017 1:45 AM GMT
A timely article as I see Kevin Blake again makes the case for change within in the betting industry, similar to the successful policies currently being used in parts of Australia.

http://www.attheraces.com/blogs/kevin-blake/
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 7, 2017 1:49 AM GMT
a minimum bet guarantee must be implemented

The each-way terms that all bookmakers use are grossly inefficient

there is also scope for improvement in the areas of stewarding, ground reports and just greater reporting and accuracy of racing information in general.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 7, 2017 1:50 AM GMT
Elvis, up to 1551
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 7, 2017 1:54 AM GMT
Jasus, just counted 15 other race meetings down-under today (Tuesday).....they do love their CUP DAY !
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 7, 2017 2:09 AM GMT
Watch a re-run of the 1993 Melbourne Cup & Vintage Crop...

https://twitter.com/Racing/status/927297700806115328
Report Kelly November 7, 2017 4:22 AM GMT
Brilliant race for us.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 8, 2017 9:45 AM GMT
Test
Report elvissss November 8, 2017 8:04 PM GMT
Positive? Happy
Report Vubiant November 10, 2017 11:49 AM GMT
B
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 13, 2018 9:35 AM BST
Aidan O’Brien before Yucatan’s Caulfield romp: “He’s entered for the Melbourne Cup but will need to win this if he’s to get in.” He’ll get in.
Owner Nick Williams after the race: “He’s the Melbourne Cup winner in waiting.” Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 25, 2019 10:19 PM BST
Moonee Valley 6.55am Sat morning

There are plenty of chances in the first Cox Plate without Winx but Japanese raider Lys Gracieux 9/4 does look the goods.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 26, 2019 6:42 PM BST
Wink
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 26, 2019 6:46 PM BST
Aidan O’Brien raider Hunting Horn firms for Melbourne Cup after impressive Valley win !

Aidan O’Brien has simultaneously strengthened an already formidable Melbourne Cup hand and vindicated Cox Plate officials with Hunting Horn’s emphatic Moonee Valley Gold Cup success.
The son of Camelot climbed from No.20 to 16th in the Melbourne Cup order of entry ahead of Monday’s third declarations.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 26, 2019 6:55 PM BST
https://twitter.com/i/status/1187953390791221249
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 26, 2019 7:00 PM BST
I don't think this horse is much hope in the Cup with the other young and lighter weighted horses like Constantinople and the forgotten Il Paradiso still to show their best capabilities.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan October 26, 2019 7:05 PM BST
Aidan stayed up to watch in Ireland. “He was very pleased with it. Aidan likes the horse and we have had him now for a while. He goes everywhere with Magic Wand,” O'Brien's travelling foreman, TJ Commerford, said. “At the end of the day, he is just breathing down her throat but he got a result there. Today was great.
“[The Camelots] they stay well. I supposed the race suited him, because they went steady. It didn’t run like a true mile-and-a-half contest. The steady pace probably suited him better.” Ryan Moore positioned Hunting Horn perfectly one out and one back in the moderately run race and, coming to turn, drove him to the front and went away to win by 1¼ length from Mr Quickie, with the  Joseph O’Brien-trained Downdraft a neck back in third.

“He’s a lovely colt. He’s had very good form all the way through. He’s had some tough assignments. He’s a Camelot and they have a little bit of brilliance,” Moore said.
“He travelled very strong and they’ve got a good quicken.”
Hunting Horn was safely in the Melbourne Cup before his win and is open to a penalty to his 55kg  which, considering the opposition, might not come. He was $51 to $18 in the Melbourne Cup but a decision will be made about him starting in the next couple of days.
“I’d say it won’t bother him. He’s very straightforward. It’s a big step up in trip as well. You have a lot of things going against you. A mile-and-a-quarter is probably his ideal trip,” Commerford said of a Cup start.
“ At the same time, you don’t know until you step them up how their stamina kicks in. Aidan is quietly confident that there’s another good day in him.”

Downdraft will hope for a couple to drop out of the Melbourne Cup, and owner  part-owner Neil Werrett is keen to see him at two miles.
“It was a good race. Now we have to wait and see if he gets in,” he said.
Report Eddie Batt October 26, 2019 8:58 PM BST
There was a nice gamble landed on Hunting Horn -as the gates opened he was 5/1 on the tote -the final return was 3.80-someone played late and hard.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 3, 2019 11:52 PM GMT
https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/melbourne-cup-preview/173603
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 12:12 PM GMT
Look it, we’re really delighted for The Lads, and especially all the team out here in Melbourne, we’re all delighted. “Wayne gave him a great ride. Only for that Italian pushing in, who knows what could have happened”. Look it, we, we’re never going to protest (against Joseph, and at the result), so the Stewards stepped in themselves you know. Amazing, 3rd in the end, and to beat young Joseph (after what happened in 2017). No no, but, it’s a great team effort, and from all the team back home. We’re delighted.... Ryan never got going.
Report cloone river November 5, 2019 4:54 PM GMT
And if Wayne hadnt got the bump he would have won.What Wayne said in the stewards you could not make it up.
Report Kelly November 5, 2019 5:43 PM GMT
Just one of the things that happens in racing .  Thought( hoped) Joseph was winning for the second time , horse just ran out of steam . Aidan's unlucky , unfortunate Joseph's was the culprit .

Backed the 5th myself , flew home inside the last furlong , in another 100 yards who knows .

Great for O'Briens , pity one of them is Australian . Great race .

Shared Ambition very impressive earlier .  50/1 first time out in Gowran , then two wins at the Maze and Killarney before going Down Under . Might figure next year in the big one .
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 5:47 PM GMT
Wayne Lordan (Il Paradiso): “Would’ve done with jumping a bit quicker. Didn’t get an ideal position but ran well.”
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 5:50 PM GMT
Kelly,

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/news/story/a-shared-ambition-for-twelve-months-time-118566?section=Australia Devil
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 5, 2019 7:30 PM GMT
The 2019 Melbourne Cup has been won by Vow And Declare in a thrilling finish to the race that stops the nation. The first Australian horse to win the Melbourne Cup since Shocking in 2009 and another first - a Melbourne Cup triumph for both jockey Craig Williams and trainer Danny O'Brien.

Master of Reality crossed the line in second place but was relegated to fourth following an upheld protest. Vow and Declare won in a near blanket finish from Prince of Arran in second and Il Paradiso in third. Master Of Reality, who came second initially, was bumped after the stewards lodged a protest, relegating the Irish-trained horse to fourth. Ridden by Frankie Dettori, Master Of Reality had a length lead in the closing 100 metres of the race, but was swamped by the field in the final metres in one of the great finishes in the Cup's 159-year history.
With 200 metres to go, Vow And Declare looked down and out as Master Of Reality led the field home, but jockey Craig Williams bided his time and surged up the inside to come home by a head, despite copping a bump in the closing stages. Master Of Reality drifted to the left significantly in the closing stages as the field caught the five-year-old gelding.
With both horses trained by the O'Brien family — Master of Reality by son Joseph, and Il Paradiso by father Aidan — neither assisted the stewards in the protest room, but after viewing footage, the decision was upheld.
Report Kelly November 5, 2019 8:33 PM GMT
Could not see any reason for either Joseph or Aidan to attend the stewards , presumably their jockeys did . Anyway regarding stewards enquiries the concept that the connections of any horse involved will be impartial in evidence is fraught with problems . There is enough evidence available nowadays to obviate the necessity for spoken evidence from jockeys .

Let the Stewards do their own job  , guided obviously by professional ( impartial presumably) advice .
Report cloone river November 5, 2019 11:40 PM GMT
But alot of the time the stewards do not do they job.The 4.15 last thursday in clonmel was a good example of them not doing they job.
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 6, 2019 2:46 PM GMT
Tiger Twenty Two (GB) 8, b g 12-4 (Gin & Gee Gees Syndicate) (Morning price: 4/1 7/2 4/1 6/1) (Ring price: 5/1 11/2 6/1 5/1 11/2) SP 5/1
Gordon Elliott Mr JJ Codd mid-division early, towards rear before halfway, slight mistake 5 out, ridden and no impression after 3 out

Mr JJ Codd, rider of Tiger Twenty Two (GB) trained by Gordon Elliott, reported to the Clerk of Scales that his mount hung and did not handle the ground
The Stewards received a report from Mr. Hugh Hynes, Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board Clerk of the Scales, regarding the fact that Mr J.W. Hannon, rider of Thats Mypresenting, weighed in at 1.5 lbs overweight. Evidence was heard from the rider concerned, who accepted that this was the case. Having considered the evidence, the Stewards were satisfied that Mr. J.W. Hannon was in breach of Rule 231 and they therefore cautioned him on this occasion
The Stewards enquired into possible interference in the closing stages of this race involving She's Made It, ridden by Miss A.B. O'Connor, placed second and Robin Gold, ridden by Mr P.W. Mullins, placed first, where it appeared that Robin Gold drifted off a straight line and caused interference. Evidence was heard from the riders concerned
Having viewed the recording of the race and considered the evidence, the Stewards made no alteration to the Judge's placings and took no further action
The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board Veterinary Officer examined Tiger Twenty Two (GB), trained by Gordon Elliott, at the request of the Stewards and reported the animal to be post race normal.
The following Race day Stewards acted on behalf of the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board at this race meeting: Mr. Paul F. Ronan (Chairman), Mr. Tom Rudd, Mr. Marcus Magnier, Mr. Michael Moloney, Mr. L. Walsh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com