Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
triumphoragony
27 Jun 15 17:40
| Topic/replies: 2,064 | Blogger: triumphoragony's blog
Was he kicked out of Ireland for being uselessConfused
Show More
Report Eddie Batt June 27, 2015 10:01 PM BST
Golden Temple would be a name he wouldn't want to be reminded of.
Report KittyWells June 27, 2015 10:18 PM BST
Said hello to Cash today and reminded him of when he rode 4 winners one day in Leopardstown.  The last leg was a 5/4 shot (op 2/1) for the great Mick O'Toole.  Happy days...........a great and stylish pilot
Report triumphoragony June 27, 2015 10:43 PM BST
Golden temple ran twice, j Reid was on board both times, I think you meant some other ride
Report J.R.Hartley June 28, 2015 9:21 AM BST
Absolute brilliant jockey.....not appreciated over here sadly....the fact that his arrival coincided with Vincent's demise as a major power in racing didn't help him tbf.
Report workrider June 28, 2015 10:50 AM BST
My opinion of Cash was that tactically he was very good , but not very strong in the saddle when push came to shove.
Report J.R.Hartley June 28, 2015 11:43 AM BST
The river doesn't need pushing Workrider....Wink
Report workrider June 28, 2015 11:44 AM BST
Good to see you back J. R.
Report The Gotchee June 28, 2015 12:13 PM BST
Remember seeing him in the Phoenix Park where he rode an ill judged race  when beaten a sort head on a Vincent O'Brien hotpot.
When he came back into the parade ring some disgruntled punters started singing "California here I come"
He was a top jockey that's for sure.
Report dj876 June 28, 2015 8:00 PM BST
I only got a chance to watch RTE's coverage this morning on the player,surprised there wasn't any comment on Ted Walsh's bumbling comments about the arabs. It went along the lines of Ted saying disappointing the owners couldn't be bother coming,Gleeson quickly interjects to offer the excuse of ramadan when Ted sneers something like our lent is it.

Gleeson again responds in a panic to state that Godolphin are great supporters of the industry and that we should respect different cultures but didn't mention that one his family business's has recently secured a massive contract in the UAE. He seems to be able to maintain a leg in both camps as he is also being able to procure the services of Galileo,independent pubic service broadcasting at its best.
Report neill d June 28, 2015 8:36 PM BST
Ted was sailing very close to the sun there (and no one could have saved him if he had gone through with what he was going to say next!), I'd say the producer was having a heart attack and Gleeson actually handled it okay in the sense that he managed to convey to ted that he needed to stop as ted looked to have plenty more in the tank.

I get the sense the likes of Ted don't like seeing our big prizes for export.
Report CheltenhamRoar June 28, 2015 8:53 PM BST
Ye could also hear him swearing in the background (again) when having a conversation with Murtagh
Report neill d June 28, 2015 8:58 PM BST
Going on what he makes of Nicholls, he probably thinks Murtagh is a mongrel!
Report dj876 June 28, 2015 9:02 PM BST
It was very close to being a major incident,Gleeson is a very capable individual and an extraordinary networker but plays the fool for the mass audiences on RTE/C4.

I thought the ATR coverage was excellent at Punchestown and the Curragh Guineas weekend. Kevin Blake, Gary O'Brien and to a lesser extent Kevin O'Ryan are at least interesting, no one should be relying on them to give winners but they should be engaging. Kevin Blake couldn't have being any more confident about Round two or any more sceptical about the JP fav in the handicap, his biggest fault (only an opportunist would call it that) is that he is almost too honest for his own good and doesn't speak with any confidence on the NH scene.

I thought there was two fascinating interviews on C4 at Ascot. Magnier admonished Tabor like a schoolboy and also refused to heap any praise on AOB (his record speaks for himself) but was very generous about Ryan Moore.

Also the Mullins/Ruby interview,Ruby was his typical himself by jumping to the smart alec comment by saying fair dues to Willie for getting him beat of 50 odd at Roscommon but quickly retreated when this was met with a glare by WPM.

Magnier and Mullins both typified characters of Tsui's art of war by respecting their allies but also ensuring they don't get beyond their stations and know definitively who the boss is. It's that coldness/shrewdness in a moment of glory that displays the ruthlesness of these two  extremely successful men.
Report neill d June 28, 2015 9:16 PM BST
Very interesting post, I missed Ascot week and got in so late those evenings that all I watched were the races and skipped some of the interviews as I was wrecked. 4 living in our house so ya gotta clear the Sky Planner before it's cleared for ya!

Magnier's father went early and I think he took on a lot of responsibility very young. He exudes self-assurance, and has a natural authority. Tabor for all his success will always be a Barrow Boy to the likes of Magnier I'd say.

I sometimes wonder are we too hard on Ruby, but them I remember him behaving like a total prick to Nick Luck and then tearing into an old man in John McCririck. He was directly involved in so many of may favourite racing memories and I'm slightly conflicted on him. Mullins is a gentleman, I just love listening to him talking horses. He's not one to mark you're card but his insights into Faugheen through last season were fascinating from him getting off the lorry and him thinking they'd paid 50% too much, sending him to Ascot fat et cetera....
Report neill d June 28, 2015 9:23 PM BST
Moore has had to come on a lot media wise since taking the Coolmore gig and in fairness to him he is doing it. johnny Ward made an interesting observation on twitter, Moore in monosyllabic mode is still a thousand times more interesting than Dettori's try-hard schtick.

Gleeson has the money in the bank to show how capable he is, had the dam of Binocular and the rest. I like Robert Hall and even some of the C4 team, but the Irish on-course presentation team on ATR is the strongest on any Racing media platform and gives the channel a certain credibility in the face of losing all its Grade 1 UK tracks bar Doncaster. if gary & Kevin were British, I think they may have found themselves on C4 by now. ATR also have Chapman who like him or not is a draw.
Report dj876 June 28, 2015 9:29 PM BST
I have never spoken to WPM but have it on very good authority that he can be extremely difficult to work for,he gave Paul Townend a very tough time a couple of years ago but I suppose it hasn't worked out too bad for him.

It will be a travesty if WPM doesn't at some stage give the flat racing a real effort,look at his recent performances and to a lesser extent even Jessie H's efforts. He seems to leave most of the summer jumping to Gordon Elliot so probably has the time capabilities to give it a go,would probably only do it with real backing though. Ricci and himself would bring a fascinating dimension to flat racing if it ever evolves.

If I was a billionaire I would certainly be trying my hardest to twist his arm rather than flushing money down avenues that are proven wasters.

The five days of ascot,morning line and highlights are available on 4oD Neil, just need to send a confirmation email and can watch it in Ireland.
Report neill d June 28, 2015 9:41 PM BST
I'll do that and get a few of the interviews as i like that kind of stuff. gives the races a context i find.

I think he was asked about the Flat game before and he said something along the lines of preparing early 2yos (would he have those kind of horses anyway?) conflicting with getting horses ready for Cheltenham and that if they were involved in breaking (not sure he'd need to get involved that early tbh), that that would conflict with Leopardstown at Christmas.

I'd love to see him do it and think he will. He is fiercely ambitious and will have swept up all of the NH game possibly by next March when he must have a great chance of finally landing the Champion Chase and the Gold Cup. He'd hardly see Michael Dickenson as a cautionary tale as that was a different time.

If it would open up irish jumps racing a little, it would be a good thing I guess, that's if it negatively effects his jumping operation.

If ricci wants him as a private trainer and o'leary and mcManus eventually came crawlingGrin, he would have absolutely no bother getting the Middle Eastern lads on board you'd think. Patrick is the perfect heir anyway so it is all in place whatever he wants to do.

I used to laugh watching the old Get On interviews with chapman that could go on for 4o minutes, Chapman getting too matey and Willie having to put him in his place!
Report neill d June 28, 2015 9:49 PM BST
Does anyone think Dermot Weld is desperate to be Champion Trainer and that might have been behind his decision to run Forgotten Rules today? Was he chancey with Tested who ran as sick as a dog? You just know he wants it badly and this year will be his only chance.

I'm hoping for a generous A/P price on Free Eagle for the irish champion stakes as I'd say there will be talk of Juddmonte but I'm certain weld will run him in the irish Champion to give himself the best chance of being champion. what is more, I think he is more likely to be primed for the irish Champion as it is 10f and he is more likely to get his ground there than the English version. That along with the arc being late in the years as well as being messy will be the justification I'd say.
Report dj876 June 28, 2015 9:59 PM BST
I would be firmly of the opinion that FR ideal conditions are 2 miles on soft ground to give his optimum performance,he will obviously still be able  win the likes of bumpers on good ground.

It was extremely unlike Weld to run FR 10 days after such a stern test as the Ascot GC. Ascot is becoming more like Cheltenham that trainers are attempting to just peak for the meeting (numerous AOB examples and The grey gatsby). To bring him to the boil for such a test on fast ground and then run 10 days later was very unlike Weld. Surely being placed in these events is more energy sapping than winning or not being involved in the finish in one way.

You could also say the placing of Brooch and Tested was also very unlike Weld in that their stepping up in class resulted in both bombing out. One could also criticise Jim Bolger (but it's not unlike him) by clearly running Pleascach too quickly after her first really stern test at Ascot.
Report The Spinmaster July 3, 2015 1:41 PM BST
Ted is quite parochial in his views.
Report punchestown July 5, 2015 9:49 AM BST
Re OP,good tactical rider but woefully weak in a driving finish and  lack of motion in a tight one was never going to sit well with most Irish punters.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com