Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
workrider
16 Dec 14 13:25
| Topic/replies: 31,790 | Blogger: workrider's blog
British.....D Law ..Man Utd
LOI.....F O'Neill Shamrock Rovers....
Pause Switch to Standard View ...Fav British & LOI players you saw...
Show More
Report kavvie December 16, 2014 1:39 PM GMT
british   kenny dalglish(liverpool)
irish     noel larkin(athlone town)
Report Kelly December 16, 2014 2:22 PM GMT
Does  Best  qualify ? If he does the thread might have to be restarted  , Law brilliant , but trotting behind George .

Duncan Edwards best English player I ever saw , again Munich meant he missed his prime , he would have captained England in 1966 if he had lived .

Never saw any LOI except Tuohy for SR .
Report tony57 December 16, 2014 2:55 PM GMT
dalglish the best ive ever seen ..not seen league of ireland players..but the best irish players ive seen ..were paul McGrath, and mark lawrenson..some players them too..
Report workrider December 16, 2014 5:23 PM GMT
Why would it have to be restarted Kelly , we all know George was one of us , maybe , who PLayed in Britain would do ...
Report kingrat December 16, 2014 5:46 PM GMT
glad to see you feeling better wonks.god bless!
Report Dan Chipowski December 16, 2014 6:39 PM GMT
League of Ireland - Tony Izzi & the mercurial Philip Hughes.
Report huddys December 16, 2014 6:41 PM GMT
league of ireland-Pat Byrne,
English league-Roy Keane,
Report huddys December 16, 2014 6:44 PM GMT
The best league of Ireland goal poacher ive seen has to be Gary Twigg,always hope he will come back and sign for us,
Report frank60 December 16, 2014 6:44 PM GMT
The following all played in league of ireland football, George Best,bobby Charlton, Roddy March,dixie dean,gorden banks, john giles,trevor brooking, and few more,.. But to answer W/R thread Paul MCGRATH league of Ireland and George Best English  football,
Report frank60 December 16, 2014 6:52 PM GMT
A  few more names who played L.O.I. Were Bobby Tambling,Barry Bridges,Terry Venables,Uwe Seeler,Jimmy Johnstone, and Geoff Hurst,
Report Kelly December 16, 2014 7:33 PM GMT
Key words are "in their prime " . All those you list frank60 were post their prime  , even if the list is full of household names .  I suspect Paul Mcgrath was away to England before he hit his ( superlative ) best .

Saw a documentary the other night about Bobby Charlton , he said Duncan Edwards was the best player he ever played alongside .  Considering that Charlton was one of the Holy Trinity alongside Best and Law that was some statement . I happen to disagree with him , dont think even Edwards could have marked George .
Report The Gotchee December 16, 2014 8:12 PM GMT
Turlough O'Connor LOI
Pat Jennings

Sam Allerdyce another LOI player as well as Tony Ward.
Report Kelly December 16, 2014 8:55 PM GMT
Might need a seperate thread for goalies , the gotchee . Jennings , Banks , Shilton , Schmeichel all brilliant  , Pat might just shade it for sheer unbelievable saves ( for years and years ) .
Report wildmanfromborneo December 16, 2014 8:55 PM GMT
Johnny Haynes. Fulham
Tommy McConville.   Dundalk
Report Kelly December 16, 2014 9:02 PM GMT
Presumably you were a Fulham supporter way back wildman . Brilliant passer of a ball , dont think I remember him heading a goal though .

Most people remeber forwards , particularly those who score goals . Best dual player I ever saw ( defender and attacker ) was John Charles ( of Leeds pre Revie ) . Reckon he got picked as the best centre half in the world as well as being the best centre forward in the world in his prime .  The Italians still revere him among their greats .
Report frank60 December 16, 2014 9:06 PM GMT
Kelly-Key words are "in their prime " . All those you list frank60 were post their prime ..no point stating the obvious kelly, i belive i covered W/R question in the last sentence.
Report workrider December 16, 2014 9:44 PM GMT
Frank ,Bobby Tambling was my nephews Godfather ...
Report frank60 December 16, 2014 10:59 PM GMT
In 1973 Tambling quit Crystal Palace and moved to Ireland. Tambling was a committed Jehovah's Witness and volunteered for evangelical duty in County Cork. He subsequently played for several clubs in the League of Ireland. On the advice of his former Chelsea team mate Paddy Mulligan, he first signed for Cork Celtic. In 1974, playing alongside Alfie Hale, Tambling scored 7 goals as he helped Celtic win only their only league title. He also played and scored in the 1974–75 European Cup [14] and between 1974 and 1977 also served Celtic as player manager. He spent the 1977–78 season at Waterford United, playing alongside Peter Thomas and Johnny Matthews, before switching to Shamrock Rovers for the 1978–79 season. He finished his playing career with Cork Alberts. Tambling also briefly served as manager of Cork City during the 1984–85 season. In more recent times Tambling continues to live in Crosshaven where he also manages the local Munster Senior League side.[   W/R A LITTLE UPDATE ON BOBBY
Report freddiek December 16, 2014 11:44 PM GMT
John Barnes. the player me and my pals pretended to be on the school pitch.

fav LOI player ever was Tom McNulty, Dundalk. not the best though.

any LOI heads remember a striker named Tilson ?? - played with Bohs - he destroyed us at Oriel Park in a league match in early 90s, great individual performance, Bohs had very good side then. He had loads of pace and skill. think he got bad injury and had to quit.
Report Kriskin December 16, 2014 11:50 PM GMT
Best League of Ireland player I've played with was Liam Coyle.  A class act who would have went to a big English team only for his knee injury.  Keano was excellent when I played against him when he was at Cobh.  He stood out from the rest and the rest his history
Report frank60 December 17, 2014 12:15 AM GMT
FRED,,,Dave tilson special 1994 v rovers            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyYYqbMhSE
Report Rocketfingers December 17, 2014 1:24 AM GMT
Fav Loi player for me has to be Seamie Coleman, was amazing going in to see him for a few seasons, stunned we hung on to him for as long as we did. I liked Eddie Gormley as well as the off the rails Tony Sheridan and of course N'Do always really impressed me when i saw him.

Fav British player is Glenn Hoddle thought he was an absolute genius of a footballer and imo was very underrated.
Report huddys December 17, 2014 9:19 AM GMT
Freddie that Dave tilson who played for bohs.a great player.played on the wing if I'm not mistaken.and what more can be said about Tom McNulty.came up with some big match winners.didnt he score the winner done in cork for you when you won the league?
Report reb December 17, 2014 12:17 PM GMT
British : Pat Nevin

Irish : Eamon "Chick" Deasy
Report RoyalAcademy December 17, 2014 12:31 PM GMT
Johnny Matthews, Turlough O'Connor & the great Bob Latchford (all hail, great one!) never were so many pieces written comparing Sir Bob to Dixie Dean
Report RoyalAcademy December 17, 2014 12:37 PM GMT
a propos nothing, I once interviewed a stunning woman and for some reason we got around to chatting about her undying love for big Al Finucane. I hired her but because I never made it as a centre forward I failed to attract her attention. That woman could have sucked me in and blown me out in bubbles!
Report Clerkmore December 17, 2014 1:45 PM GMT
LOI Ben Hannigan(various clubs), Eddie Bailham(Shamrock Rovers)
Report workrider December 17, 2014 2:15 PM GMT
Clerkmore I believe Ben is not well atm , smashing player as was eddie ..
Report second again December 17, 2014 2:34 PM GMT
Eddie Gray.I love watching a good winger.Dalglish was easy on the eye.Jennings was some keeper.Gary Linekar the best striker.But the best was George Best.
Report Clerkmore December 17, 2014 4:23 PM GMT
I was at school the year Big Ben won his league medal with Dundalk in 1967. We were allowed out to see the home games. They had a good team then, Kevin Blount, Alan Fox, Paddy Turner, Kevin Murray etc.
Report frankalsoran60 December 17, 2014 4:55 PM GMT
I REMEMBER BEN WELL CLERKMORE,  Ben Hannigan (born 3 September 1943 in Dublin) is a former Irish footballer. He spent most of his career playing for Shelbourne in the League of Ireland.

Hannigan had three different spells with Shels as a player from 1961–66, 1972–74, and finally in the 1980/81 season.

His first spell was the most successful as Shels won the league championship in 1962 after defeating Cork Celtic in a play-off and then defeating Cork Hibernians in the following year's FAI Cup final.

In December 1965 he signed for Wrexham but was soon back home with Dundalk where he won the League in 1967. He scored over 50 goals for the Oriel Park side.

Hannigan then signed for Shamrock Rovers in April 1969 and made his debut on the 6th of April. He won the FAI Cup in his first season and represented Rovers twice in European competition against Schalke 04. In Finn Harps first ever game in the League of Ireland Ben scored 4 times in a 10-2 win on 17 August 1969.

He then spent fifteen months at Fortuna Koln before coming home to sign for Sligo in February 1971. He scored on his debut on February 28.[1] In his time at the Showgrounds he played a total of 6 games scoring once.
Report frankalsoran60 December 17, 2014 5:03 PM GMT
SECOND AGAIN do you remember this goal by Eddie Grey on a sand pitch,     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkd3HWQu32Q
Report workrider December 17, 2014 6:24 PM GMT
Clerkmore , Kevin was some keeper , Jimmy Heasty ,etc , Dundalk had a great team in the early to mid 60s ,Kevin played golf with a couple of friends of mine and was great company ...
Report frankalsoran60 December 17, 2014 6:37 PM GMT
W/R

One of the most remarkable players ever to pull on the black and white shirt of Dundalk died in a shooting incident in Belfast.
That man was Jimmy Hasty, to some just another statistic in the North’s growing list of violent deaths, but to Dundalk people Jimmy was not just a remarkably talented centre-forward, but an inspiration as he managed to overcome the handicap of playing football at the highest level with just one arm.

Some regarded Jimmy as a freak, and turned up at grounds out of curiosity to see him play, and while initially some Dundalk fans felt that way after they saw him make a scoring debut against Cork Celtic at Oriel Park on November 20th, 1960 they came to regard Jimmy as a major asset to the team.   W/R i saw Jimmy play many times, he used to joke that he was,nt allowed to take throw inns.Grin

In six seasons with Dundalk, (1960-66) he made 169 appearances scoring a remarkable 109 goals a strike rate of which any player of to-day would be proud.
Report workrider December 17, 2014 7:14 PM GMT
Frank , saw him play many times myself , always wore the no 9 shirt , and had  great respect from the rovers fans , if i remember correctly he scored a few against us , my memories of that period are a little obscure , was taken to my first rovers game when I was 4 ...I remember Rovers went to Spain midweek for a game against the Spanish under 21s and were beat 5..2..On the following sunday Dundalk arrived at Milltown for a cup game and we beat them 7..0..Think Jimmy played in that game , and if memory serves a guy called Barron was their keeper ..Heady days indeed...
Report frankalsoran60 December 17, 2014 8:11 PM GMT
i remember Christy barron well w/r ,i think he worked in england as a meat inspector, Christy played for dundalk for a fair seasons.
Report freddiek December 17, 2014 9:41 PM GMT
frank -thanks for link, great goal to win a cup final eh.
huddys - Tom scored the winner in 1990/91 down in Turners Cross. won us the League. he was a fan favourite, your typical ' combative midfielder'

good to see all the mentions for Dundalk players of the past - McConville/Fox/Hasty/Hannigan etc. - my dad used tell me all about them.
Report huddys December 17, 2014 9:55 PM GMT
Ye freddiek he defo was a fans favourite alright,think he got a life time ban for attacking a ref in an over 35 years league match a few years ago,not sure if im correct,just remember hearing someone saying that at a match,Martin Lawler now there's another no nonsense player for dundalkShocked
Report workrider December 17, 2014 9:56 PM GMT
Freddiek , one of the best players to play for Dundalk was a teammate of mine ..Paddy  Dunning...
Report reb December 17, 2014 10:19 PM GMT
Re Dundalk players of the past - I remember watching them playing Galway Rovers at Terryland Park in the late 70s. Hilary Carlyle was running past as we watched the game from the terraces when some fella behind us shouts, "Hey Hilary, You're nothin' on the Kincora scandal!".
Report frankalsoran60 December 17, 2014 10:28 PM GMT
huddys and fred a little montage of  Tom McNulty goals including the one that won 90/91 league for Dundalk. Hope they bring back good memories for you......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JCGmrV2GH8
Report freddiek December 18, 2014 3:05 AM GMT
thanks for that frank, i was at most of those games. The man scored some important goals didnt he. best memory for me was the Galway game in '95, everyone listening to the derry match on the tannoy after our game was over hoping they wouldnt beat Athlone.

tom was local boy so no wonder we loved him.

seen peter withnell on that vid too. perhaps the only man with all-ireland football and league of ireland winners medals?
Report frank60 December 18, 2014 11:12 AM GMT
Fred i found a nice little piece on Peter,...http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/mourne-mauler-131019.html
Report second again December 18, 2014 12:05 PM GMT
Frankalsoran60,Thanks for the link.
Report frank60 December 18, 2014 12:19 PM GMT
your welcome S.A.
Report RoyalAcademy December 18, 2014 1:05 PM GMT
I used to live in Milltown just across from the old Rovers ground. Wasn't a fan but dropped in occasionally and I remember the sublime skills of Jackie Jameson. Always wondered how he hadn't made it across the water. Anyone know of him today?
Report norn iron December 18, 2014 2:06 PM GMT
MY LATE DAD WAS MANAGER AND FRIENDS WITH HARRY GREGG AND BOTH SAID DUNCAN EDWARDS WAS  GREATEST PLAYER IN THE 60S.

MY FIRST EVER GAME AT WINDSOR PARK SAW GEORGE BEST SCORE HAT TRICK INC FROM CORNER KICK  HE WAS IN MY EYES THE GREATEST FOOTBALLER EVER AS PLAYED WHEN DEFENDERS COULD KICK LUMPS OUT YOU (WEN THEY CAUGHT HIM) PLAYED ON TERRIBLE PITCHES OLD HEAVY LEATHER BALL .WAS GREAT ON BOTH FEET COULD TACKLE AND DECENT IN AIR AND MORE IMPORTANTLY PLAYED THE GAME WITH SMILE ON HIS FACE
Report norn iron December 18, 2014 2:07 PM GMT
GREAT THREAD BY THE WAY Love
Report Clerkmore December 18, 2014 2:31 PM GMT
norn iron • December 18, 2014 2:06 PM GMT
MY LATE DAD WAS MANAGER AND FRIENDS WITH HARRY GREGG AND BOTH SAID DUNCAN EDWARDS WAS  GREATEST PLAYER IN THE 60S

As he died in 1958 he certainly was not the greatest player in the 60s!
Report norn iron December 18, 2014 2:33 PM GMT
CLERK  AGREED IT POSTED BEFORE I HIT POST BUTTON 

DEFF SHOULD BE EDIT BUTTON ?

BE SOME AFTERTIMING POSTS Laugh

SORRY  DUNCAN EDWARD 50S
Report Clerkmore December 18, 2014 2:41 PM GMT
Other Dundalk players during that League of Ireland winning year of 1967 were Patsy McKeown, Mick Millington, Derek Stokes and Tony O'Connell.
Report frank60 December 18, 2014 3:04 PM GMT
R.A. You are right about Jackie JAMESON a lovely footballer, Jackie passed away  October 2002 (aged 45)A Facebook tribute page was set up in 2012. It can be found under the name Jackie Jameson Irish Football Legend.

One of the three function rooms in Dalymount Park is named The Jackie Jameson Bar.
Report applehunter December 18, 2014 10:54 PM GMT
Only been to a few games in England.

Saw Paul Scholes play but can't say he really impressed that day.

In LOI I always liked Liam Coyle but I don't think I saw him in his prime. He always seemed to have his leg in strapping anytime he played.

Remember Paddy McCourt's debut for Rovers against Bohs. It was on TV. Bohs had a big black English centre back making his debut that night as well. Remember McCourt going on a few dribbles in the game and it always stuck in my head. The most naturally gifted player I've ever seen I'd say.

Other notables...Joseph Ndo, Wes Hoolahan, Kalonas(Bohs), John O'Flynn(pre knee injury), George O'Callaghan.
Report Winner_Winner_Chicken_Diner December 18, 2014 11:16 PM GMT
Its a shame Mccourt didnt move abroad, I know he had his fitness issues but his style would have been much better suited to a slower paced game like say Italy for example were they really value a playmaker type. His style doesnt really fit the pace of the British game. Some what of a wasted talent.
Report neill d December 19, 2014 10:35 AM GMT
George O'Callaghan/McCourt were easily the most stylish Irish players of the last 10-15 years and I'd include the likes of Duff and Keane in that. Neither probably had the engine for high-level football in Britain.

David Silva is a bit of a genius, Yaya Tourse/ Henry were the best I've seen to bully inferiors, Scholes was the footballer that could play anywhere in the world for any team.

Of the foreign leagues, always enjoyed Juan Roman Riquelme, the guy never seemed to move, perfect technique, he was incredible for that couple of years at Villareal and was inspirational for an Argentinian team that was probably the best footballing sidfe at the 06' World Cup.
Report kingrat December 19, 2014 9:04 PM GMT
when i was working in galway,tommy keane got me to tog out.a gas man!(rip)yeah i met chick deasy,mr galway united!bored the tits off me but his daughter was alright.Wink
Report huddys December 19, 2014 9:19 PM GMT
McCourt did move he played abroad he played for Celtic for a while,not sure who hes with now,remember one goal he scored for us against bray,think he beat about 6 player,most skilfully player ive seen in the league,would go missed abit tho in a game,
Report kingrat December 19, 2014 10:00 PM GMT
did u play the game huddy?
Report kingrat December 19, 2014 10:17 PM GMT
oh yeah,i forgot,we had a brilliant teacher.terry evison,his 1st post i think.wildman would never have appoved.Laugh
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com