Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
reb
25 Nov 14 14:32
| Topic/replies: 1,097 | Blogger: reb's blog
FAI chief John Delaney apologises for singing pro-Republican ballad

• Delaney had earlier denied YouTube footage was him
• Incident embarrassing before England visit Dublin in June
• ‘I’m not someone who supports violence at all’
• Songs of hate almost obscure England’s triumph

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/25/fai-john-delaney-apologises-singing-pro-republic-ballad
Show More
Report kavvie November 25, 2014 3:16 PM GMT
the last song the irish soccer team listen to/sing  before going into the stadium is sean south.  same sentiments in both songs.we should lighten up and not be ashamed of out history.  im sure if the english chief exec was caught singing land of hope and glory there wouldnt be much about it.i met john delaney.a genuine man who does a lot of unseen work behind the scenes.if he was guilty of anything it was naeiviety(it was a private function in a pub).a non story.move on.
Report RoyalAcademy November 25, 2014 4:00 PM GMT
Delaney is a buffoon and "if he was guilty of anything" its appearing drunk in public regularly and he must be an insufferable bore doling out free scoops to the coybig.

Untouchable in his position and I have little doubt he's a big barstool republican-his party pieces must be the highlight of weekends in Riga and Talinn.

Can't have your apology for him kavvie-the provos and the shinners have debased our old songs and they are now rarely sung without a veiled threat or hidden agenda. Personally I have lost all respect for our "1916" commemoration and it will be  good time to leave the country.

I am genuinely concerned about the future of Irish politics: on the one hand "old politics" that seems un-reformable and on the other a media-savvy band of jihadists awaiting their chance. thank goodness the mask of grizzly is sliding as he gets more arrogant.
Report reb November 25, 2014 4:06 PM GMT
I don't think he's naive in the slightest. Calculating, cynical and self-serving ?....hmmm,now there's a thought......
Report kavvie November 25, 2014 4:09 PM GMT
what songs have they debased please?  the british people wear the poppy for a tribute to their heros who fought in the great wars with pride for 2/3 weeks?john delaney sings a song about a hunger striker in a private function and hes a buffoon?is the man not entitled to a few pints and a sing song?.maybe we should call off the 1916 celebrations altogether?then it would spare you the expense of having to leave the country?!?!..   and btw i agree with your last paragraph
Report RoyalAcademy November 25, 2014 4:26 PM GMT
in my book kavvie....the songs of my childhood are now mere slogans of sinn fein.....I have no interest in them and I would regard someone singing them as being deliberatively provocative in my company such is the way the provos have rewritten history. I regard modern republicanism as no less savage, delusional and hateful than any number of other murderous sects (even if they now wear "smart casual") across the world and I want no part of it. I don't buy the "road to peace"; there's enough evidence to show these people as the five-star opportunists of modern Ireland. Tell me you don't think that a gun to the head to get rid of a few annoying loyalists would ultimately be a price worth paying for them?

Delaney has too much form regarding his public drunkenness to be excused this latest blunder and, personally, I think its terrific that he has disgraced himself yet again and shown himself for what he is. (would the threatening letters to the guardian not cause you to pause?)

and please don't anyone spout "liberal elite". I don't condone terrorists or their journeymen (or corrupt and inward looking politics for that matter) and if you're going to make a ginnet of yourself, do it where you family can have the pleasure of watching you....before the turn off the lights leaving you snoring on the couch and roaring Roddy McCorley in your sleep.

the poppy discussion is a complete red herring and merely points to our sense of inferiority complex.
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 4:58 PM GMT
Delaney is an embarrassment and has an IQ somewhere between Wonky's and Scouse Tony's.  In short he is not fit for purpose.

The way things are going us West Brits will soon be forced to withdraw to within the Pale.
Report workrider November 25, 2014 5:06 PM GMT
Big Ian , would be proud to have an IQ as big as Johns , Norman , in fact he'd be  that proud he'd sing you a rebel song ...Laugh
Report richters November 25, 2014 5:13 PM GMT
Royal Academy the songs of your childhood presumably sean south kevin barry etc,can I ask you please did these people carry spud guns and water balloons in their quest for irish freedom?
Report RoyalAcademy November 25, 2014 5:33 PM GMT
or rape children or rob banks for personal gain or hide child molesters or strap innocents to wagon wheels delivering bombs or make members of their own community disappear for decades or kill innocents in taverns on the broadway moors or turn their passion to extortion, corruption, kidnapping and torture or blow up people at remembrance ceremonies or murder innocents because their black economy was under threat or pretend that they had changed their colour for an expedient or murder irish peace defenders.......

I must admit I don't recall those sad verses in "wrap the green flag round me boys"

every ira apologist well-versed in the old songs and the art of "whataboutery" the wolfe tones buachaill on the wireless today was fantastic radio if you are an utter moron. the man from Waterford reminding him about Gerry McCabe (whom he claimed he didn't know) knocked him out of the park
Report kavvie November 25, 2014 5:58 PM GMT
every conflict has its brutality attached royal.wheres the child rapists by the way?i dont recall hearing any mention of that?in the irish civil war there was unspeakable brutality by irish people to irish people?ballyseedy anyone?  i would not be an apologist for ira/sinn fein and agree they made some awful mistakes specially since the peace process.but im proud to be irish.proud of the heros of 1916 and proud to listen to and sing along(god help the person beside me!) to rebel songs.they are part of what we are and it sickens me to see john delaney being castigated for singing a song..
Report RoyalAcademy November 25, 2014 6:16 PM GMT
my personal sense of history has been completely eroded kavvie mostly by those hijacking irish history and seeing what this country was really like for almost a century. It's possible to produce a narrative that is entitled to make you bristle with pride and if you manage that I wish you well. my own interpretation aided and abetted by what I see happening today leaves me completely devoid of a sense of pride. I prefer the relatively innocent joy associated with a sporting national pride and the celebration of achievement rather than any gunman or politician telling me how to view the past. One thing's for certain - and this applies equally to most events today - the more one knows, reads, studies and informs oneself, the more one sees the inhumanity of man in power or lusting thereafter.
Report tony57 November 25, 2014 6:59 PM GMT
how irish are you oz?..
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 7:16 PM GMT
More Irish than you, Tony, and to borrow a phrase from ****, I am one of the great stocks of Europe.
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 7:16 PM GMT
Y e a t s
Report tony57 November 25, 2014 7:27 PM GMT
that may be true..but all my family from my grandparents onwards are irish..it only stops at my mother..all my aunties were born in Ireland ..my mother when the family came here..but my point is for a Irishman ..you do find plenty to grumble about instead of being proud of one of the greatest countries on this earth...
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 7:30 PM GMT
this thread is about the IRA, Tony, I see nothing to be proud of where they are concerned, do you?
Report richters November 25, 2014 7:38 PM GMT
Royal Academy am I right in assuming that you are stating that in the good old days pre 1969 no personnel involved in irish republican militarism was involved in brutal murders,robberies or killing of state forces?well if this is infact your opinion then im afraid you have to take a long look back to the history of the good old days when you and others fondly song of wolfe tone plumkett pearse and Connolly.
Report kavvie November 25, 2014 7:45 PM GMT
why were the ira set up oz? why did they get strong in the north?apartheid that why.the catholic population in the north were downtrodden in the early 60s..the civil rights march was the start of it.  bernadette devlin john hume etc.the ira in its northern guise was a pup out of that.its strength multiplied many times by successive british governments not understanding or not wanting to find a solution.the hunger strikers  were the ones that really put the ira in a dominant position.their popularity soared and it was really maggie thatchers fault for not engaging them and finding a solution.she made martyrs of them.then they were in cohooots with terrorist organisations all over the world (gadaffi etc)and a compliant financially and sympathetic american irish people.so it all started by people not being given a fair crack of the whip...
Report kavvie November 25, 2014 7:47 PM GMT
and im proud that the civil rights people rose up and ultimately won the fight..a long struggle with lots of wrongs and blood on both sides but they got equality for nationalists..
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 7:54 PM GMT
Maggie made sh1te of the Hunger Strikers.  They took on the wrong lady there, she saw them as common criminals and wasn't for turning.

Sorry Kavvie but I cannot empathise with a organisation that plants bombs in shopping centres, or blows up horse in Hyde Park , I just can't.
Report richters November 25, 2014 7:58 PM GMT
what about your great british army oz that have murdered raped and maimed their way round most of the globe at this stage....are you proud of the role they have played in the current not alone historical struggles on this island
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 8:01 PM GMT
I think the are fairly decent and honourable chaps for the most part, dickie.
Report richters November 25, 2014 8:03 PM GMT
I would think so oz....
Report Ozymandius November 25, 2014 8:04 PM GMT
that said, I wouldn't sing songs in their honour either.  we need to move on.
Report kavvie November 25, 2014 8:05 PM GMT
im not empathising with ira/sinn fein at all  im just stating facts.war is war.inhuman.awful.what about oliver cromwell?the black and tans?(mild examples of brutes)  but facts are facts.im not taking it out on the brits in particular but every war is brutal and things are done for max effect.headlines etc.look at isis now.beheading brits and americans..for headlines...
Report el gato November 26, 2014 12:38 PM GMT
Delaney is an utter embarrassment, beyond belief that his continued gob**** behaviour is tolerated by the organisation he supposedly represents.
Report snap crackle and pop November 26, 2014 12:46 PM GMT
Christmas number 1?
Report Rocketfingers November 26, 2014 12:53 PM GMT
Laugh
Report Ozymandius November 26, 2014 1:00 PM GMT
John Boy is the only man capable of filling the shoes of his good buddy Sepp Blatter Happy
Report kingrat November 26, 2014 2:46 PM GMT
T'was on a dreary New Years Eve
As the shades of night came down
A lorry load of volunteers approached the border town
There were men from Dublin and from Cork, Fermanagh and Tyrone
And the leader was a Limerick man - Sean South from Garryowen

a cracking auld ballad,dont u think royal academy?royal being the operative word.Wink

even gardai(the free state army) sing that song with gusto.Love
Report carrot1960 November 26, 2014 5:40 PM GMT
i would have been more embarrassed if deleney had not known the words or the song or ashamed to sing it in good company
Report RoyalAcademy November 27, 2014 11:07 AM GMT
a bonny song alright kingrat......lads with murder in their hearts being rumbled

here's a little piece I found earlier written by an obvious "sympathiser" who revered the "progressive individuals" within the Army:

The IRA did have progressive individuals within their organisation at this time but South was certainly not one of them.

Sean South was a backward catholic reactionary. He was a member of the extremist Maria Duce orgainisation which campaigned for Ireland to become a catholic theocracy. Even the catholic church of the time was embarassed by their fundamentalism. He also campaigned for heavier censorship so that the youth would not be exposed to external opinions. In the early 50s he took part in many pogroms against trade unionists and communists as he believed them to be godless.

Sean South symbolises everything that was wrong with Ireland in the 1950s. All progressive republicans should come out and condemn him as a backwards idiot rather than sing songs about him.

I found this on twitter some time ago....origin unknown but probably wrongly attributed to grizzly:

"I love karaoke. I love maudlin country ballads. In another life, I'd be Loretta Lynn."
Report reb November 27, 2014 11:50 AM GMT
http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/11/25/john-delaneys-e360000-salary-more-offensive-than-any-republican-ballad/

John Delaney’s €360,000 Salary More Offensive Than Any Republican Ballad

IRISH football fans have confirmed that John Delaney’s exorbitant salary of €360,000 is far more offensive than any rendition of a republican ballad.

With the Irish national team ranked 61st in the world behind heavyweights such as Cape Verde Islands, Albania, Trinidad and Tobago, Togo, Mali, Panama and Guinea, supporters would sooner question if Delaney is worth the money he is paid than admonish him for a poor rendition of a song in a pub.

More controversial than torturing bar regulars with his shrieking is the fact that fans were kicked out of the Aviva during Ireland’s recent match against the USA for protesting against Delaney’s leadership. Those protesting were seeking answers regarding the FAI’s dysfunctional ticketing policy for away matches.

Delaney had responded to the FAI fiasco which left many season ticket holders without tickets for the Scotland match in Glasgow by choosing to blame the Scottish FA for the FAI’s mistake, labeling them ‘a joke’.

According to the FAI’s latest accounts from 2013, the organisation is as much as €50 million in debt and provides next to no support for the League of Ireland competition.

Some fans have noted their disgust at the fact prize money afforded to the winners of the competition is significantly smaller than Delaney’s salary, despite the serious need clubs have for vital income to pay staff and stave off bankruptcy on a yearly basis. In fact total prize money for the league is less than Delaney’s salary.

Delaney’s level of pay is more unpalatable than a song about hunger strikers when it’s noted the FAI’s youth football policy amounts to handing out last minute free tickets to children when overpriced international match tickets fail to sell to a public unwilling to overpay.

“I don’t mind him singing some **** song, but it would be great he tried to craft a 23 man squad out of players coached in Ireland in their youth rather than relying on English clubs to bail us out,” explained passionate fan Eddie Grogan.

Delaney, however, has always insisted he is worth his pay, his belief reportedly coming from his desire to not being paid a penny less.
Report RoyalAcademy November 27, 2014 12:23 PM GMT
with apologies to the poet laureate...

A Waterford boor called Delaney
Was fond of Saddam Husseini
A barstool knob end
And bad twitter trend
His favourite roar was “Khomeini!”
Report reb November 30, 2014 11:22 AM GMT
Why John Delaney brings tears to my eyes

By Michael Clifford

FINE people have made this country great, but few can match John Delaney, the chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland, who was in the news, again, last week, being unfairly pilloried, subjected to media intrusion, victimised.

Once more, pigmies were attempting to lay low a giant of the times.

Well, this column will not stand for it. Fearless advocacy is our business in this corner of the accursed media. Mr Delaney is obviously a superb administrator. This is evidenced not so much in anything he has done, but in the size of his salary. He is paid €350,000 per annum. Nobody in this country could pull in a wodge like that, as an administrator of a sports organisation, unless they were bordering on genius.

We know, based on salary scales, that we have had some of the finest bankers and politicians on the planet. Ergo, Mr Delaney, with a salary that is more than the combined stipends of Pauric Duffy and Philip Browne, his opposite numbers in GAA and rugby, respectively, must be in a different class to those two gents. This is not to suggest that Mssrs Duffy and Browne are anything but competent, sober, reflective individuals. But, with the greatest respect to both, they’re no John Delaneys.

Mr Delaney’s latest foray into controversy was a “slyly” taped episode in a public house fittingly called The Bath. In it, John is singing a song about the dead hunger striker, Joe McDonnell. The €350,000 ambassador for Irish football puts his heart and soul into the number, battling desperately against the cruelty of fate that left him with a brutal singing voice.

It is unclear how much, if any, drink had been taken. Once the video made it into the mainstream media, all hell broke loose. Some people felt that it was highly inappropriate for Mr Delaney to be singing in public about an IRA man, as he administers in a game often infected with sectarianism. Ok, there may have been a momentary lapse of high standards, but John has been at pains to point out that he abhors violence. (At this juncture, I must declare that one of my favourite songs is Bob Dylan’s ‘Idiot Wind’, which contains the lines, “they say I shot a man named Gray, and took his wife to Italy”. I want to make plain that I am not in favour of shooting anybody and I would never run away with a dead man’s wife).

But let’s just look at Mr Delaney’s record. There have been slight hiccups during his superb administration. A season ticket scheme for the Aviva stadium was a bit of a disaster. The recruitment of Steve Staunton as a cheap Irish manager was a bit of a disaster. (John should have known that you have to pay for real talent). The ticketing fiasco for the Scotland game, earlier this month, was a bit of a disaster, although, as John pointed out, blame for that lies with either an anonymous figure in the FAI, or the Scots. But apart from such a succession of ****-ups, he has been worth every cent of his €350,000. As he has said, on more than one occasion, other employers have approached him offering to match, or better, his salary, but loyalty keeps him with the FAI. He is a football man, content to accept whatever the FAI considers his worth.

The price for such loyalty has been occasional media intrusion. One recent episode was a hard-hitting documentary put together by the renowned investigative and entertainment reporter, Barry Egan. If Mr Egan was intent on digging up dirt, he emerged empty-handed. In the film, entitled John The Baptist, a succession of figures, from Denis O’Brien to Martin O’Neill to Eamon Dunphy, spoke glowingly about not just the administrator, but the man, the football man, the man of substance.

The most illuminating contribution came from John’s mother, Joan. “John is full of heart and he is soft,” she told the reporter. She related an occasion when an impoverished woman used to call to the Delaney home, looking for clothes. “One day, this woman came and I’d give her four or five bundles of stuff. She said, ‘I need a pair of shoes for my young fella’. And the next thing was, John, who was small, sat down, took off his shoes and handed them to the woman. He has a huge heart.” That testimony brought tears to my eyes. It also inferred that the title of the documentary had referenced the wrong Biblical figure. It should have been called, “Jesus Christ, Take A Look At This”. The vignette gave a hint of the man John was to become.

At the European Championships in Poland, in 2012, John famously lost a pair of his shoes. Is it possible that he gave away his shoes to somebody whom he felt could put them to better use? Somebody less fortunate than him? Somebody who wasn’t on €350,000 a year?

The previous year, after a match in Macedonia, John threw his tie into the crowds of Irish fans. Was this another act of charity, from the boy within the man? Does he impulsively give away items of clothing, on the basis that he knows that there are others out there more deserving of his clothes?

Truly, if John is Michael O’Leary in the day job, then he is Mother Teresa when he lets his hair down. There is one small cloud on the horizon. The business over the brutal singing led to two British newspapers receiving what are effectively threats of legal action. On Monday, the papers received a solicitor’s letter claiming that it wasn’t John doing the brutal singing. The letter to The Guardian stated: “My client’s position is simply that it is not him singing in the video. If you take the decision to publish, legal proceedings will follow, as it will undoubtedly cause various issues for my client.” Delaney has put it down to “some confusion by a third party”, which he was unable to resolve at the time because he was “travelling”. (How long was he in the air? Was he going barefoot at the time?)

Surely, John The Baptist wasn’t deliberately misleading — to put it at its most benign — about the video, and arranging for a media organ to be threatened with legal action on that basis? The honchos in the FAI aren’t worried about it. The association’s president, Tony Fitzgerald, issued a statement, saying John is fine by them, in or out of tune. Back in that hard-hitting documentary, John the Baptist explained how he had rescued the FAI in 2004. “There was a credibility issue,” he said. And, right now, between the singing, bogus legal threats, John the Baptist, the ****-ups, discarded clothing, and a ringing endorsement from the president, could credibility reach any higher?

Mr Delaney is a superb administrator ...as evidenced by the size of his salary

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/columnists/michael-clifford/opinion-why-john-delaney-brings-tears-to-my-eyes-300136.html

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com