Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rocketfingers
16 Aug 13 08:39
| Topic/replies: 12,906 | Blogger: Rocketfingers's blog
Not often i agree with you as you know only too well, but i would at least want more details of what happened but i have made my own miind pretty much up along the lines of yours.
Pause Switch to Standard View Money For Michaella
Show More
Report silvergreaser August 16, 2013 8:46 AM BST
I've no sympathy whatsoever I don't care how naive you are they were still well aware if caught prison was a slam dunk.
Why would anyone even think of giving a donation for her defence its insulting to even ask.

Plenty of noble causes I can think of that are deserving of our support.
Report Ozymandius August 16, 2013 8:48 AM BST
For once, Borneo, your stance has merit.  Most peculiar, are you feeling ok?
Report wildmanfromborneo August 16, 2013 8:48 AM BST
Great to see you agree with me and may I add how impressed I am by your stamina,I realise that you don't work but it now appears you don't sleep either.

Wonder what superhero you can compare yourself to now.
Report wildmanfromborneo August 16, 2013 8:51 AM BST
My reply is to Rocketfingers who is now Mrs Thatcher like in his lack of need of sleep.
Report Rocketfingers August 16, 2013 12:05 PM BST
I'm up very early Borneo on a Friday, Saturday & Sunday, actually was just finishing up what i was doing then, early worm and all that Wink
Report brain dead jockeys August 16, 2013 2:26 PM BST
we dont know the full facts of this case so i would refrain from condemning people you know nothing about
Report silvergreaser August 16, 2013 2:28 PM BST
The fact is they boarded a plane at Madrid for Lima so if they were under duress or at gunpoint as they say why then didn't they present themselves to the authorities in Spain or even at Lima airport?, their story just doesn't add up at all.
Report brain dead jockeys August 16, 2013 2:31 PM BST
i have no idea what happened..........surely they are not that stupid to volantarily carry kilos of cocaine onto a plane in south america......if your caught, your completely f u c k e d
Report Rocketfingers August 16, 2013 2:33 PM BST
Ya but if you get away with it your quids in !
Report by purpose August 16, 2013 2:36 PM BST
Think her hair stylist should make a big donation...
Report silvergreaser August 16, 2013 2:38 PM BST
Never told anyone where they were going either, took a chance for a few big bucks got caught so do the time obviously they never watched Banged Up Abroad?.
Report pa lapsy August 16, 2013 2:42 PM BST
If she is found guilty which i will be stunned if she isn't, RTE should get the criticism it would richly deserve, not really a position the national broadcaster should be getting involved in.
Notice your opening post is gone again Wildman,you were saying what every one else thinks.Shame.
Report kavvie August 16, 2013 2:53 PM BST
feel sorry for them but they done the crime etc and got caught.hope they do a deal and maybe get out in 2 yr
Report Distant View August 16, 2013 3:01 PM BST
It is the like of this young lad that deserves these RTE campaigns.

What a horrible set of blows he has been dealt.

http://oscarknox.blogspot.co.uk/
Report silvergreaser August 16, 2013 3:25 PM BST
Who the hell is removing these posts of wildman, its not as if it was offensive or anything just an opinion?.
Report pa lapsy August 16, 2013 3:42 PM BST
Of course Distant View,and young Oscar isn't alone with these debilitating conditions,it is more in RTE line to highlight these very deserving people rather than what looks like at the moment a misguided,though unproven drug smuggler.
Report thegalwayman August 16, 2013 4:17 PM BST
I firmly believe that the University-educated liberal elite are behind the removal of wildman's posts. They also planted that charlie on poor Michaela.
Report lustrumm August 16, 2013 6:12 PM BST
what is the point leaving up a thread if the first post or the main reply is taken down.

I have been following this case closely as I have spent 90% of my holiday time in Ibiza. I have been there over a 100 times now.
There are 2 main papers in the UK following it i.e the Mirror and the Mail and both have almost opposing stories on what happened.

This is arguably the first "drug Mule" story to catch the wider audience since the full advent of social Media and "on the spot" reporting and if one is to compare both papers above there are Journalists that should be going to jail for the lies they are reporting/printing.

It is actually a fascinating story and I think the truth has yet to be printed.

The only comment I will make is that 1 month (both girls went on the Island at the start of July and were arrested start of August) is not a long time so 90% of the stories that have been printed to date, including "live interviews" are not true imo.
My only factual point is that there is an interview by the mail with the Mother of the Scottish Girl where the Mum states that she had been in contact with her on Facebook up until the night before she was arrested. If that is true then everything else we have been told is false.

"Mr Reid said he had no major concerns about his daughter going to Spain because she had never been in trouble before.

‘The biggest problems we had ever had with our children was them having a couple too many drinks. Melissa was a good girl,’ he said. ‘She worked hard and went to bed at 9pm on weeknights.

'She went out at weekends, but she was just like most girls her age. I never worried about her taking drugs in Ibiza because it wasn’t on our radar. Her friends here say she never did them.’

Miss Reid stayed in regular contact with her parents and last wrote to them via Facebook the day before she was arrested to discuss which clothes her mother could clear out of her wardrobe"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2391393/Peru-cocaine-arrests-British-girls-claimed-kidnapped-forced-smuggle-drugs.html#ixzz2c9Yaz4IV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Report Rocketfingers August 16, 2013 6:15 PM BST
Excellent post lustrumm
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl August 16, 2013 8:47 PM BST
I fully and completely agree with lustrumm's opening line. On another thread re- JP Murtagh and 'bad rides', I posted, and it was quickly removed by whoever. Having followed JPM for years even in his stint over hurdles, I think I wrote nothing that was new, or not known. Actually what I wrote was known knowns, and not unknown knowns. (see Donald Rumsfeld).

I'm all for the conspiracy theory in this instance with these two cailin's, and I have no problem in putting a few euros their way to help them get home. We all so sadly saw the shambles that took place in Mauritius, and I'm pretty sure that its pretty much the same law/justice system in most of these foreign lands..

In any event I have now for a few years contributed to the huge salaries of Dail Eireann members which disgracefully consists of, tax dodgers, liars, (isn't that what we do Rabbitte), broken promises (Varadkar), and broken pledges (Quinnie), contribute to the salary of the Minister that turned the Revenue on his own law abiding people, and continue to contribute to the huge pensions of failed politicians and bankers, and to the wages of failed developers through Nama. So a few bob to help these girls get home to their parents is not an issue for me.
Report tony57 August 16, 2013 10:05 PM BST
I have to be honest here and say I have experience of this...not of this case but something very similar,..were these girls are concerned I personally don't believe they were forced onto the plane..but there is no doubt that something smells..whatever the result of enquires of law enforcement..these girls will serve 7-8 yrs in peru,..(if they're lucky they may get a transfer to their home country after 3-4 yrs to finish their sentences)..I feel for their parents,..i feel for the girls, im sure some people will give money to aid their defence, and their parents travel etc..and I hope they do, no matter what there is no doubt they have been stupidly naïve, and I understand the attitude of others who want to hang them,..(I personally do not)until drugs are legalised and taken out of the hands of the cartels,then prohibition which has never worked will continue to put people like these stupid kids in jail.jails around the world are packed with kids like these..sad..but the majority want it so nothing will change....
Report CheltenhamRoar August 16, 2013 10:16 PM BST
Who gives a toss,if she wasn't a model and was a 20 something year old from the slums do u think this story would even make the news??
Report Distant View August 16, 2013 10:19 PM BST
It is only making the news because of the facebook campaign to find her in the first place CR.

There was loads of publicity about her before anybody knew about the circumstances of her disappearance and that is why the tabloids are milking every ounce of it.
Report tony57 August 16, 2013 10:21 PM BST
silly comment chelts?..ofcourse it would make the news?..the press lap this stuff up!may I ask do you have kids chelts?..if you do then I,d be surprised if you didn't have a little bit of thought for there parents at least?
Report The Gotchee August 16, 2013 10:30 PM BST
Any parent could be presented with the same situation and what makes matters worse is that they both come from highly respectable families. They are only kids who appear to have made a huge error of judgement.
Report tony57 August 16, 2013 10:35 PM BST
well said gotchee, some of us may agree or disagree with what will happen to them..but you make a valid point,
Report CheltenhamRoar August 16, 2013 10:57 PM BST
So do u feel sorry for every drug dealers parents who are caught with over 1 million pound worth of drugs?

if they were genuinely forced into smuggling the drugs,Then yes,of course i feel sorry for them,But does anybody really believe that nonsense?Story just doesn't add up,They were looking for a quick buck and have now paid the consequences imo.
Report tony57 August 16, 2013 11:17 PM BST
fair enough chelts,..I just pointed out that I thought you were a bit harsh,..i personally don't believe these girls were forced on to the plane..but that doesn't mean they weren't?but as isaid whether they were or were not..they will do their time in peru...so its there parents who look to me to be in shock..and distraught as any parent would.
Report Distant View August 16, 2013 11:25 PM BST
True Tony,

However the parasitic media are only rallying around this because it is attracting ratings and sells newspapers etc.

It is not dissimilar to what saw Tommy Gorman holidaying in Mauritius for a few months when the stories could easily have been received through other channels.

The Joe Duffy campaign will boost his show. The idea that there is any other reason behind it is wrong.
Report paddletoe August 16, 2013 11:32 PM BST
I don't believe the kidnap story but its probably the best defence the girls could have come up with. If the girls had come up with any other story it would be easily discredited. For example if they said they knew nothing about the drugs in their bags I think it would soon be established that their movements and itinery in Peru were not those of tourists. It would not be very believable that they went to Peru of all places for a holiday and spent their time not doing what you would expect from holiday makers.

My money would be on that they rehearsed some story in advance if they were caught.
Report Rocketfingers August 17, 2013 12:06 AM BST
If this was 2 lads who got caught Wildman would not have started the tread. He does not seem to like women or the hetrosexual men they attract.
Report mightymoyes August 17, 2013 12:10 AM BST
another load of lives ruined by the ridiculous 'war on drugs'
Report brain dead jockeys August 17, 2013 12:28 AM BST
these girls are 19 and 20.........after looking at it over past few days i think they were naive and really dumb. dont think they were forced. dont know what to say really. maybe they deserve to do some time.
Report silvergreaser August 17, 2013 8:33 AM BST
neill d     17 Aug 13 03:12  
Load of men of a generation, ripping the s h i t out of a young wan who got caught out, pity the lot of ye (and the woeful scribes of that time) hadn't yer beedy eyes on Fianna Fail and the banks 10 or 15 years ago. personally, I hope they send her a few quid, no harm in it. The punishment doesn't fit the crime in this instance.

Neil I thought I'd copy and paste your reply which you accidentally posted on another thread.

Naivety is not a defence when in the eyes of the law the 2 girls are adults and responsible for their own actions.

If you ever looked at that program Banged Up Abroad?, there are loads of similar cases of naive people looking for a fast buck and none of them ever received the media attention that this case is, if in fact they received any media attention at all?.

Fine you can feel for their families suffering but many other families have went through the same ordeal but had to face the facts that their childs stupidity not the law is why they were put in that situation in the first place.

In all honesty if they were caught in some other country with that amount of drugs they  would be facing a lot longer prison term, they'll probably do at most 3 to 4 years which is extremely lenient considering the offence so on that basis they can actually thank their lucky stars and will still have a long life ahead of them when released.
Report neill d August 17, 2013 10:18 AM BST
Silver, the severity of sentence they get over there will probably depend on the amount drugs they were carrying. Something which they would have had no control over.
Report silvergreaser August 17, 2013 10:28 AM BST
Foreigners are often treated more leniently in these countries because of diplomatic pressure.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby August 17, 2013 11:13 AM BST
WTF do betfair keep removing opening posts ffs??!?? Angry
Report silvergreaser August 17, 2013 11:23 AM BST
Some moderator has it in for wildman or gets some sort of sadistic pleasure by removing them?, its usually only wildmans first posts that are removed, more often than not just harmless opinions.

In this case wildman showed his displeasure at RTE for calling for people to donate to the girls defence, what the hell is wrong with that?.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby August 17, 2013 11:27 AM BST
Anyway in 99.99% of these cases, the supposed "Victim" usually finds the trouble not the other way around.
She was a night club host........what exactly did she think that job entailed and given the "Portfolio" of photos of her on the Independent website the other day, she isn't the brightest penny in the savings jar. Something tells me she was hardly going to contribute much to society anyway.

If justice is served, she'll get circa 20 years in prison given the damage drugs does to society and the victims in the countries of their origin.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby August 17, 2013 11:28 AM BST
The Irish Government should hand the issue over to their British counterparts.......The Daily Mail is claiming them as their own Laugh 2 countries even fighting over drug smugglers now Laugh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395955/Peru-drugs-How-innicent-Meli...
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby August 17, 2013 12:01 PM BST
http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0817/468686-dublin-imams-family-in-besieged-cairo-mosque/

Four Irish citizens are among hundreds of people besieged in a Cairo mosque surrounded by Egyptian security forces, fearful they will be shot at if they try to leave.

Laugh
Report Ozymandius August 17, 2013 12:22 PM BST
Our thoughts are with them, terrible thing to be caught up in, lets hope they get home from Cairo safely and soon.
Report lustrumm August 17, 2013 1:02 PM BST
The Irish Girl seems to be going on with the "Kidnapped--> coercion theory and the story has been cleaned up substantially now that the Irish Lawyer is there. Shame they didn't stay out of the Media all along and they might have had a small chance.

A wise comment was made earlier saying why shouldn't we throw a few bob to get them home ASAP. Haven'y we been funding the Gangsters in Leinster House for years.

They are only kids and both deserve 1 break at least imo
Report lustrumm August 17, 2013 1:05 PM BST
Here is the link to the new story (which is more plausible) about being developed by an Illegal Taxi Driver)

The only thing against that is that in all my time in Ibiza I have never seen an English illegal Taxi. Dealers yes but they would never let you near their car

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395965/Tell-truth-begs-father-drug-mule-girl-emotional-reunion-Peru-police-station.html
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y August 17, 2013 1:14 PM BST
what a load of tosh

do the crime do the fkin time - hope nobody gives f all to their appeal
Report brain dead jockeys August 17, 2013 2:12 PM BST
when at the airport in spain or peru, why didnt they just go to the police and tell them what happened.
Report pa lapsy August 19, 2013 1:56 PM BST
Nice set of photos showing Michealla enjoying a few beers on her holiday in Peru this morning, the evidence of the hotel manager also suggests the girls were happy during their stay there. Anyone know how RTE,s appeal is going?
Report brain dead jockeys August 19, 2013 10:57 PM BST
wouldnt like to be her lawyer..........hows he gonna change this story?
Report wildmanfromborneo August 19, 2013 11:10 PM BST
He will be like all lawyers,charge a fortune try to get the Irish state to pay it so he can holiday in South America,collect his swag head home hoping his fame will lead to more riches.
Report Vubiant August 23, 2013 2:41 PM BST
Reading an account of life in a French village in south of France in 1951.
What strikes me is that nothing changes and people are the same everywhere.
They too loathed lawyers for the rapacious ba.star.ds they are.
They had a simple saying 'Homme de loi , homme de merde'.
Says it all really.
Report pa lapsy September 24, 2013 11:51 AM BST
Surely no one is stupid enough to believe the total bullsh1t in regards gunmen following them across a few continents at this stage.
Now she is pleading guilty maybe a refund is due to all who supported this appeal?
Report Rocketfingers September 24, 2013 1:36 PM BST
I think the Scottish girl is hotter.
Report kavvie September 24, 2013 6:51 PM BST
downtown temple bar of a sat nite you wouldnt even notice them.average at best
Report Kelly September 24, 2013 8:38 PM BST
There will probably be a book in this .  Just wonder who will be daft enough to buy it .
Report huddys September 24, 2013 10:02 PM BST
Changed their plea  to guilty now
Report BJG September 25, 2013 10:39 AM BST
Two women accused of trying to smuggle £1.5m worth of cocaine out of Peru have pleaded guilty.
Melissa Reid and Michaella McCollum, both 20, were stopped with 11kg (24lb) of cocaine hidden in food packets in their luggage while trying to board a flight to Spain on August 6.
Reid, from Glasgow, and McCollum, from Dungannon, Co Tyrone, originally claimed they were forced to carry the drugs by an armed gang which threatened them and their family members.
Their U-turn means they will not have to stand trial on drug trafficking charges.
Instead, it is likely they will be sentenced to six years and eight months in jail at a hearing which could take place as early as next week.
The two women admitted their guilt at a private hearing in a makeshift courtroom at a men's jail in Lima.
They were heard separately for half an hour each from 11am local time - 5pm in the UK - and asked their names and ages before being given the opportunity to speak.
The women's lawyer, Meyer Fishman, declined to comment, but a Callao court spokesman in charge of the investigation confirmed the guilty pleas.
"Both women have pleaded guilty to drugs trafficking," said the spokesman.
"It means they automatically benefit from a sixth off the minimum jail sentence of eight years and will be sentenced to six years and eight months in prison.
"Sentencing has not taken place yet and a new hearing where the women will be sentenced has now got to be arranged.
"But it's likely that will take place in around a week's time."
Reid and McCollum, who had both been working in Ibiza, were facing up to 15 years in prison if they had been found guilty in a trial.
Reid's parents insisted last week they still believed their daughter had been forced to carry the drugs, but a guilty plea was the best course of action to get her back to the UK.
Prosecutors previously indicated that the women could return home to serve their sentences if they pleaded guilty.
Reid was the first to consider changing her plea, maintaining she carried the drugs under duress and telling the Daily Mail: "Pleading guilty is going to enable me to get back to my family in Scotland sooner rather than later.
"I do not want to be in jail until 35 - I can't get back those years."
McCollum confirmed at the weekend that she too had changed her mind about continuing to protest her innocence.
"I understand that the judicial process will be simpler if we both plead guilty," said the 20-year-old.
"We are hoping we will not have to wait too long before we are sentenced and pleading guilty will speed things up."
The pair are currently being held at the notorious Virgen de Fatima prison in the Peruvian capital Lima.
Peruvian police and prosecutors said from the start they did not believe the women had been forced to smuggle the drugs.
Chief prosecutor Juan Mendoza Abarca claimed their stories were "incredible" and that they had been coached in what to say.
He added: "They staged this whole thing from the beginning because they knew it was possible they would get caught and if they did get caught they had the excuses really well planned.
"It's very obvious they were trained in what to say if they were caught. They were prepared in every sense."
A total of 248 "drug mules" were arrested at Lima's Jorge Chavez international airport in 2012, with nearly 1,600kg of illegal drugs confiscated.
The UN says Peru has overtaken Colombia as the world's largest grower of coca, the raw material of cocaine.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 25, 2013 1:13 PM BST
The sad reality is they will get their 6 years odd, probably be sent back to the UK to serve the sentence, be let out after a year or so, be approached by some newspapers etc........., and make a bloody fortune out of it Plain i guess crime does pay
Report Rocketfingers September 25, 2013 1:19 PM BST
Go to youtube and watch locked up aboard in Peru !
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 25, 2013 1:22 PM BST
I've seen the programmes and i sincerely hope they get banged up in one of those places and are made serve every single day of the time they're given - i would have had more sympathy for them had they just held their hands up and admitted to trying to make a quick few quid but after the absolute bullcrap they came out with i couldn't care if they rotted over there
Report pa lapsy September 25, 2013 1:43 PM BST
Reading BJG,s post seems as if the daily mail is still giving some credence to the original story by allowing it to publish the line "Pleading guilty is going to enable me to get back to my family in Scotland sooner rather than later", a total rag of a paper.
Back to the opening post(which is not there) seems as if this was a totally misplaced appeal supporting two women who are pleading guilty to smuggling a large amount of cocaine.
Report Wallflower September 25, 2013 2:59 PM BST
The sooner drugs are legalised the better and just rid us of all this nonsense

-- Some pretty nasty individuals involved in the "industry" alright, but if it wasn't drugs it would be something else, and that would be something "illegal"
-- Money involved is only because it is illegal to begin with; legalise worldwide and it decimates the whole criminal network - its the last thing they want
-- Foolish and naive youngsters lives ruined with ridiculously long sentences as a result
-- Remove the mystique - I've tried lots of gear (except Heroin, needle thing and all thatHappy)......big swinging. Underlying reasons for drug abuse are more potent than the drugs themselves
-- Money used to "fight" the drug war (pointless)...transferred to more usual and related purposes
Report insideinfo September 25, 2013 10:52 PM BST
really good to see that today the prosecution have rejected their gulty plea at this stage.it seems that their bullsh1t story about being kidnapped blah blah blah has not went down well over there.a simple guilty plea in order to get a lighter sentence is NOT good enough.it seems the prosecution want to hear THE TRUTH before accepting any plea,and rightly so! and i for one applaud their decision Happy

just as well they are not going to fight the case anyway as the fund set up for michaela only raised 750 quid LMFAO
Report db1974 September 25, 2013 11:07 PM BST
Must be the first time in history that a guilty plea has been rejected by the prosecution!
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:38 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com