Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lustrumm
08 Jul 13 23:30
| Topic/replies: 2,601 | Blogger: lustrumm's blog
All Shop customers they are trying to say now it was Maximum €50. Anyone else coming across this. Several threads on this in the Horse Racing Forum as well. I for one am not taking this lying down as I checked and was told max €100 as per online
Pause Switch to Standard View Paddies Reneging on Wimbledon Refunds
Show More
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 9, 2013 8:30 AM BST
never Shocked all i ever read on here is how great PP are
Report silvergreaser July 9, 2013 8:31 AM BST
None of them are great but they're an awful lot better than most in fact Ladbrokes are a total disgrace.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 9, 2013 8:33 AM BST
They're no better than most if ya have more than 2 braincells in your head, when are people going to realise that
Report silvergreaser July 9, 2013 8:38 AM BST
Well name a bookie any better for giving refunds?, yes its mostly a publicity stunt but name another bookie that even comes close to Powers for refunding?.

Err... you cant?
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 9, 2013 8:39 AM BST
PMSL Laugh i prefer a bookie that takes bets - if i lose i don't expect a fkin refund
Report silvergreaser July 9, 2013 8:48 AM BST
pmsl too name an actual bookie that takes a decent bet?
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 9, 2013 8:58 AM BST
Well there are many that will take considerably more than PP do - offer pathetic amounts that are not even worth your while
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 9, 2013 9:03 AM BST
Billies will take a bet on the dogs - well they've took a fair few decent bets off me the last few weeks
Report reb July 9, 2013 10:15 AM BST
I'm pretty certain (95%) that this offer was max 50 in shops from start of tourney. Pre-tourney I can't recall as the offer didn't interest me. Re online, I've no idea. I remember looking at the offer and thinking it wasn't great although it looked a lot better after the exit of Nadal and Federer.

Whatever any of us might think of PP,positive or negative (and there has been one glaring negative that they have not been held to account for),  I would be astonished if they somehow were trying to renege on one of their money-back specials. A diligent and motivated customer could make life very difficult for them if that was the case.

As far as I know the vast majority of their offers refer to a limit of 100 so this one of 50 refund on Murray was unusual in that respect. As a result, it was predictable that there would be some confusion subsequently.

Whatever you do, don't be angry with the front-line shop staff.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl July 9, 2013 10:19 AM BST
Pity that the Anglo bondholders were not of the same mind as the one and only pf, but  if they were who would pay John Terry's wages, not to mention the special one......
Report db1974 July 9, 2013 10:27 AM BST
4 different bookies were refunding if Murray won Wimbledon, not just Paddy

Paddy's offer was up to start of 3rd round, others were pre-tournament only

It was definitely €100 online, not sure about shops

Everywhere says "max refund €/£100" which still leaves them a (sneaky back-handed) get-out clause to refund only 50s in the shops I suppose
Report BJG July 9, 2013 11:05 AM BST
Have been in contact and been informed that the max refund was €50 in shops even tho it said 100 everywhere and on screens - scummy fckers
Report kavvie July 9, 2013 1:15 PM BST
i got 100e back online.i has what they would allow me..127.lucky it wasnt more or id have lost a good bit.i never even dreamed of the max refund.i then had the ton on callitasucit s recommended bet on the us golf at 8/1..so im happy enough with pp!
Report BJG July 9, 2013 1:26 PM BST
T&Cs

Applies to single bets placed on the outright market before the start of Round 3 only.
Applies to win part of each-way bets only.
Max refund €100/£100 per customer.
Paddy Power Tennis rules apply.

Were the terms everywhere i looked!
Report lustrumm July 9, 2013 1:28 PM BST
Was in a shop in Cork this morning and it was plastered on the screen Max 50. There was no sign of that screen pre-tournament. As I said to the Manager if it was Max 50, I would have had only 50 and gone and had the rest of my money at the right price. This is outrageous carry-on.

Look it is up to us to keep raising and force them to correct it.

What clearly has happened is that they realised all too late that a Murray v Djoko final was a likely possibilty and they had no upside so they carved themselves out one.

A question? Can anyone recall seeing the Max 50 slide in any shop before the tournament.

I would really love to nail them on this one

ATTENTION: Silvergreaser, stay off any of my threads from now on please and I will recipricate. I have no interest in your opinion
Report BJG July 9, 2013 1:37 PM BST
Was no 50 max anywhere in shop that i saw and i looked and i asked behind the counter and was told 100 per customer
Report silvergreaser July 9, 2013 1:38 PM BST
Bloody hell lustrum your a senstive skin, what exactly did I say to have the wrath of god come down on me?, just because I said Powers are better than most bookies but I didn't say they were brilliant or anything?.

I'd hate to think of the reaction if I did say anything bad?
Report Ozymandius July 9, 2013 1:40 PM BST
This is very bad form, I am surprised by Paddy, I must say.
Report pa lapsy July 9, 2013 1:52 PM BST
Did it online(E100 and was refunded) and looked at the t+c,s beforehand and nowhere did it differenciate between shop and net. Thats two people BJG and Mick on the HR that actually asked behind the counter and told it was a ton,so presume they looked at their monitors to check,starting to stink bigtime.
Hope it wasn,t the one by the GPO Lustrumm where the staff in there can,t even utter the word Thanks,hope ye get satisfaction.
Report kavvie July 9, 2013 1:55 PM BST
theres a fair old stink all round the country on this one.few lads i told about it up  the country arnt too happy.dont think itl go away
Report Ozymandius July 9, 2013 1:59 PM BST
If t+C's are different online and in shop, this should be outlined online imo.  I thought it usually was, i.e ; 'this offer applies online only etc'.
Report lustrumm July 9, 2013 2:06 PM BST
You are a "Gowl" as we say in Cork. First of all you are slagging Jimeen on the other thread re Fallon. You probably don't this but Jimeen is so clued into Racing you would be frightened by what he knows. And yet you choose to lecture him.

Here on this thread we have a discussion on what in my opinion is a crime committed by Paddies and you are on again defending them. It's a nice day do me a favour a fcuk off out and enjoy the sun and keep your dumb views away from anything I comment.
Report Roger De Bris July 9, 2013 2:09 PM BST
It's genius by Paddy. We'll them it's e50 in the shops, and we don't lose a penny....
Report silvergreaser July 9, 2013 2:31 PM BST
I'm sure the staff in Paddy Powers got a foul mouthed tirade if your latest childish outburst is anything to go by lustrum.

Let me so someone starts a thread on a public forum and he has sole ownership of it and dictates what responses should be allowed.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 9, 2013 2:41 PM BST
coming from the man who constantly starts threads attacking Aidan O Brien because he ain't a pisshead Laugh ^^
Report silvergreaser July 9, 2013 2:43 PM BST
BTW lustrum are you mixing me up with somebody else called ima-mazed as I can't remember discussing anything about Fallon with Jimeen?.
Report lustrumm July 9, 2013 4:26 PM BST
u were at it as will Silver. Have a good life
Report ko2 July 9, 2013 7:40 PM BST
they shouldnt be allowed get away with this.
Report ko2 July 9, 2013 7:42 PM BST
they shouldnt be alloowed get away with this if it wasnt clearly stated 50 max, didnt do it myself so not sure either way
Report mushroom23 July 9, 2013 8:14 PM BST
They changed the refund from 100 to 50 just after Federer and Tsonga departed
Report Colonel Sanders July 9, 2013 8:24 PM BST
They changed their Dunguib refund offer in the 2009 Supreme after it had been running for over a week

Who'd have thought refunding if an odds on jolly won would leave them vulnerable to arbers Confused
Report lustrumm July 9, 2013 8:59 PM BST
Hi Mushroom23,
do you know this for sure?

I'll be honest I think they got caught on the hop as they were not going that much of a carve up price the others until they saw the weight of money for Djokovic (at any price)
By the time they came to their senses and produced a slide they decided to go €50.

Think about it when have they ever limited a special like that to €50.
Report mushroom23 July 9, 2013 9:13 PM BST
Ya certain my friend, I walked in to back djoko because of the offer but then I saw they had halved the refund to 50 quid so I didn't bother
Report lustrumm July 9, 2013 11:56 PM BST
Thanks, I'll go back into bat with them tomorrow to see if they will see reason.

BTW I am no Arber. My issue is that I stuck all my Friends into it, even got my Wife to do it. They are all out €50 now. They (as I would) would have been happy enough to have €50 in the first place if that is all that was allowed
Report wildmanfromborneo July 10, 2013 12:05 AM BST
I was going to give you the 50 quid to stop the bellyaching but seeing as your wide circle of friends are involved have changed my mind.

Silvergreaser had the temerity to disagree with your colleague Jimeen and you turned nasty,your devotion is admirable but maybe he will give you a digout or better still a winner.
Report lustrumm July 10, 2013 12:26 AM BST
very close to saying the same thing to you wildman, your'e on your last chanceGrin
Report wildmanfromborneo July 10, 2013 12:42 AM BST
I'm on my last chance with the forum.

You do have a fair point as you rightly point out it was the offer that enticed your bets,both Murray and Djokovitch could have been knocked out early and you would have accepted the loss,it seems they changed the offer midway but you can't retrospectively change it.
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2013 12:46 AM BST
Good evening Borneo.  Have you been in the Headmasters office for a dressing down?

I doubt PP retrospectively changed the offer..refund of 100e for shop bets placed before a certain date one imagines.
Report wildmanfromborneo July 10, 2013 1:11 AM BST
I used the term forum on a general basis.

I agree with your analysis but it seems Lustrumm bets were done in time and even if they weren't he still has a point as it was the original offer that attracted his bets.
Report lustrumm July 10, 2013 12:29 PM BST
wildan is right, the €50 is not worth getting one barred over. It really is the priniciple.

I said as such when I spoke to the guy Pat in Paddies. I said the offer was appreciated, great Marketing etc.. but it is dirty tricks to change it mid stream. I kind of got the impression they would give me the €50 to shut me up but

1. That is not really my point
2. That is no good to my Sister, he Husband etc.. who think I am a Gom now for costing them money on what I told them was a "No Lose" situation.

Every bet placed was done on the Sunday before the Tournament.

Clearly only I had the knowledge to query the T&Cs but having done all that I thought all the bases were covered and indeed they were.

Paddies decided to move the goalposts after.
It hasn't stopped them making hay out of it and young PAddy has been on every show that will have him eulogising about the €2 Million they lsot on it.
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2013 12:52 PM BST
Hang on..at the time all your bets were placed....the  t+c's at that time allowed for a 100e refund?  Is that what you are saying?
Report pa lapsy July 10, 2013 1:06 PM BST
Twill only get worse as well,a gom today,a feckin eejit tomorrow,the day after a pity altogether and by the weekend there's a right want in ya.
Seriously googling the offer and All betting sites say 100,can understand after Nadal and Federer went but pre tournament seems people are getting shafted here.
Report db1974 July 10, 2013 1:07 PM BST
The way the T&C are worded allows for a sneaky interpretation, which appears to be what Paddy has done here

Similar to the way that Koral worded their Sprinter Sacre offer at Cheltenham (£20 max bet but less than €10 was allowed on in practice), the wording of the Paddy offer was "Max stake £/€100"

Now IMO this implies, and is generally understood to mean that all stakes up to €100 would be refunded but actually, there is a loophole where Paddy can refund less than €100 and still be within the T&C of the offer, technically speaking

In fairness, this is very unlike Paddy with his MBS offers and if this is true, you would be very wary of taking advantage of these offers in the future (you could split stake to smaller amounts for example)
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2013 1:12 PM BST
Can you explain the loophole, db, I don't get it?
Report sands of time July 10, 2013 1:13 PM BST
Wimbledon started 24th June, Paddy Power advert in the Racing Post from Saturday 22nd, June, on page 152, states in the terms and conditions:-
Max Refund for UK Retail £100, Max Refund for IRE Retail $50
Report db1974 July 10, 2013 1:15 PM BST
Ozy - the T&C state "Max refund €100" as opposed to "All stakes up to €100 refunded"
Report db1974 July 10, 2013 1:16 PM BST
sands of time - that's very interesting
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2013 1:21 PM BST
ok, txs db, I get that now.  Very very bad form, if they are relying upon that interpretation....lustrumm, is that how PP have explained it to you?
Report dj876 July 10, 2013 1:41 PM BST
I think sands of time has clarified the matter but PP have still acted deplorably here and the negative connotations stemming from the offer definitely outweigh any positive exposure.The refund was plastered everywhere with €100 max.

I would imagine the reduced stakes in the Irish shops is because Paddies and Laddies practically have a duopoly here.(bar spoils maybe).
Report reb July 10, 2013 2:12 PM BST
With sands of time's retail clarification (above)it appears clear that PP did nothing wrong on this offer.

The confusion probably, and understandably, arises from the fact that, unlike the vast majority of their offers of this type, this one did not involve the usual max refund offer of e100.

It's critical to always read and understand the terms and conditions associated with any such offers at the point of bet placement.
Report kavvie July 10, 2013 2:20 PM BST
sands of time seems t0 have hit the nail on the head.if thats the case its a non issue. i wonder if he works for pp ?and how come some got their ton back?
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y July 10, 2013 2:25 PM BST
Of course they did wrong.

They should train their bloody staff properly and then when some people went to the counter [as they've said they did] to find out about the offer may have been told the correct terms.

Others have said they where clearly displaying €100 on the screens in their shops as well.

I find it hilarous how the vast majority on the irish forum fall over themselves to defend this horrible shower of sh|t
Report Ozymandius July 10, 2013 6:07 PM BST
Lustrumm,

Can you please clarify if;

A.  PP are relying on a questionable interpretation of t&c's

OR 

B.  The offer was always 50e in Irish Shops as some on here are claiming

What have they said to you?
Report lustrumm July 13, 2013 12:31 PM BST
I got the full story here on Wednesday from a shop Manager in Limerick. I'll post it up late. Safe to say it is a stroke and even their own staff are saying it is a disgrace.

One word re sands of Time and his advert, A downtown lie. No add ever existed. The reason: They forgot to consider the shops or "retail" as sands put it.
I'll detail it all later
Report lustrumm July 15, 2013 1:57 PM BST
I was in a Shop in Limerick on Wednesday. I half know the Manager and asked him the story.

The Special went up online on Saturday and most of the Traders/Decision Makers were off on Sunday. When people like me started to develop in on sunday the shops were caught on the hope. Any Managers that queried it with Head Office were told the same rules apply in shops as online .i.e €100 per customer. This went on all week and there was no communication of €50 max when Federer and Nadal got knocked out. All that from clowns on here is jsut ramping or perhaps they are PP staff. The special was for €100.
Clearly after Nadal and Federer got knocked out the special looked too good to be true and Paddies (who did not fancy Murray at all and were always top price about him) now found themselves in a no win situation i.e. They were hawking Murray but now there was an avallanche for Djokovic and in reality only 2 conceivable results. No matter how short they went Djokovic (8/11 when he was 2.3 on here) the punters kept coming right up until Thursday and the start of the 3rd Round.
What to do?

Brazen it out and hope for a miracle. NO Miracle so they decided on the stroke.

As the Manager told me, the staff were minding their own business on the Sunday and as soon as Murray won the Second set the alerts started coming down on the Monitors Maximum €50 return. Then a slide was produced to look as if it was always A €50 return.

The Manager was sickened by it as all the locals were peed off and everyone could see it for what it was i.e dirty tricks.

None of us would have had more than €50 at the wrong price otherwise.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com