Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Rocketfingers
12 Jun 13 13:05
| Topic/replies: 9,152 | Blogger: Rocketfingers's blog
Ireland 1 England 0 in Stuttgart in Euro 88 and Ray Houghton,  watched it at home even though i had a ticket for the match, would loved to have been at it.
Pause Switch to Standard View 25 years ago today Ireland's greatest...
Show More
Report wildmanfromborneo June 12, 2013 1:12 PM BST
Can you ever tell the truth.

You were allegedly in some Welsh University at the turn of the century so should be around eight or nine in 1988,however from the puerile content of your posts we know you are probably one of the oldest on here but you have told so many lies you keep tripping yourself up.
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 1:24 PM BST
I was actually 11 years of age Wildman i have you know, my auld man was on a junket going out to it and he was bringing me, my uncle got me a ticket but i could not get on the same flight as me dad, so he organised me to go to Frankfurt and then catch and connecting flight to Stuttgart, god rest her but my poor mum put a stop to it as soon as she heard of his plans, so i ended up with unused tickets for the English match and the Russian match, would have been memories for life.
Report db1974 June 12, 2013 1:27 PM BST
test
Report yummy June 12, 2013 1:29 PM BST
Who else bought the tee-shirt in Penneys with a photo of the goal and the time emblazoned on it.

2.36 pm June 12th 1988
Report wildmanfromborneo June 12, 2013 1:29 PM BST
I suppose you have to acknowledge that as an attempt to retrieve the situation albeit a poor one.I thought at eleven you would have been flying planes not just travelling in them.
Report silvergreaser June 12, 2013 1:36 PM BST
It wasn't exactly our greatest ever performance rocket, greatest ever result maybe?. England played us off the park and the usually lethal Lineker missed a hatful, but nobody cared the result was all that mattered.
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 1:37 PM BST
Yummy i think i may have haha, i wish i kept those tickets safe instead of up around the tea bags and coffee jars where they were for years before being thrown out by accident. I remember standing in the sitting room when the ball came to Houghton and just shouted goal, Shilton seemed to be in man's land, the rest of the match was pure torture.
Report kingrat June 12, 2013 1:50 PM BST
yeah i remember it well.we had a massive tri colour hanging between the 2 bedroom windows,i think it was a sunday and we were all crammed in the sitting room in front of the telly.bonner played a blinder,it was 1 of those magical sporting moments of my youth.
Report reb June 12, 2013 2:06 PM BST
Great memory indeed. Silvergreaser has it right though.

I remember reading some journalist's comment in the wake of the tournament to the effect that we'd won a game we should have lost (England), drawn a game we should have won (Russia), and lost a game we should have drawn (Holland).
Report Kelly June 12, 2013 2:11 PM BST
Might be greatest momemnt for soccer supporters , but for those of us who view things more broadly does it outrank Ronnie Delany winning the Blue Riband of the athletics world in 1956 ?

Or others people may resurrect from other sports ( boxing world titles etc among others ) ?

Apart from anything else , since 1966 to 1970 , England have been pretty average .  Geoff Hurst ( biased maybe ) reckons only 2 English players since then have had the game to challenge for a place retrospectively in that era , Robson and Gazza . Agree with him . We ( you technically) didn't beat a  stellar lot that day I suspect , sweet though the victory was .
Report Kelly June 12, 2013 2:19 PM BST
Add in Shilton possibly , he was nearly as good as Banks .
Report freddiek June 12, 2013 2:36 PM BST
if u mean happiest moment for the nation in sport then very possibly, not the greatest imo. remember going out the back to tell me mum that wed beat them. I was only 6. such a nervous game to watch. Think this was the game that Charlton whacked his head off the roof of the dugout.

i remember the 2 other games vividly as well. Ronnie's great goal and the fluky one by the Dutch that knocked us out

https://twitter.com/sportsdes/status/344743901485232128/photo/1
Report reb June 12, 2013 2:38 PM BST
Might be greatest momemnt for soccer supporters , but for those of us who view things more broadly does it outrank Ronnie Delany winning the Blue Riband of the athletics world in 1956 ?

You're forgetting Michelle Smith, Kelly.
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 2:47 PM BST
Dutch goal was a fluke and McGrath if i remember was very unlucky not to score in that match, Ireland should have beaten Russia by a few goals instead they got a 1-1 draw. Ireland rode their luck v England alright no doubt but it can't be said it was not a hell of a performance in the countries first major finals, we sat back and England really pressed hard but the majority of their chances came in the last 15 to 20 minutes and remember Whelan had also hit the crossbar. I think it was better than the world cup, the football was better and by the time of 1990 the bandwagon was well under way. I think most sports fans would struggle to remember years of other events happened or even what was the event in the case of Kelly's example (I'd actually have a few before that) but we all remember where we were when Houghton put the ball in English net Happy
Report silvergreaser June 12, 2013 2:54 PM BST
Wildman should be along in a minute to defend Michelle reb.
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 2:55 PM BST
I was thinking that myself Silver Laugh
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y June 12, 2013 3:04 PM BST
out greatest ever sporting moment is beating Ingerland 1-0 with a goal scored by a Scotsman SadLaugh
Report reb June 12, 2013 3:04 PM BST
He might be conflicted. As well as being a great Olympian she's also a Barrister.
Report richters June 12, 2013 4:34 PM BST
rocket it appears you and i are of the one age,the difference being judging by your posts on here you in fact live in the body of a 35 yo man but have kept your mentality of 1988 as an 11 yo........
the most ridicolous post i have ever read on here regarding tickets for euro 88 i must say.......totally ridicolous.....
Report richters June 12, 2013 4:43 PM BST
from scoring 2-2 for THE GAELS to stuttgart 88,christy shouda wrote the song rocket goes to stuttgart rather than joxter,although ye probably would get more sense from joxter after 14 pints of stout......
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 4:44 PM BST
You're life is so sheltered that even going to a racecourse is described by yourself as being "ridiculous", i believe Sligored put you in your place in regards to that one Wink
Report Ozymandius June 12, 2013 4:45 PM BST
richters, do you have many of those dodgy cigarettes I keep hearing about in the back of the Transit Van?

Is that what has you up and down the country?  what's the going rate?
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 4:45 PM BST
Laugh
Report richters June 12, 2013 4:49 PM BST
ozy your mental age seems to be catchin up with you also........i refer you to the gaa thread........2 goals 2 points for a club 50 miles away from him......
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 4:51 PM BST
50 miles? What club is 50 miles from me richters? Confused
Report Ozymandius June 12, 2013 4:54 PM BST
I was just putting 2 and 2 together Richters.

You have strong Republican sympathies and ties.  The RA are apparently the new Marlboro.   You drive up and down the country with a Van selling stuff.....you do the math.
Report guinness2dear June 12, 2013 4:57 PM BST
I always thought it was "The races at Castlebar" (with a little help from the Froggies)
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 5:03 PM BST
From one end of Sligo to the other is not 50 miles, so caught out fibbing again richters !
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:09 PM BST
ozy for a man that alleges third level education,you really are an IMBECILE of the highest order,not quite of the rocket standing yet,il give you that much......
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 5:10 PM BST
More lies from the simple one ^
Report freddiek June 12, 2013 5:15 PM BST
this was actually a good thread from RF before yiz fecked it up
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:16 PM BST
im pretty sure from bellaghy to north sligo is well over 50 miles having travelled the road on a regular basis,this is irrelevant to the point.....
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:17 PM BST
freddiek it is another fantasy........and imo not in the top ten greatest irish sporting moments
Report Ozymandius June 12, 2013 5:20 PM BST
Can I put an order in for spme Cohiba IVs please, Richters.  I will PM you with a drop off point.  Thanks.
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 5:20 PM BST
ROTFL Bellaghy is not even in Sligo it's in Derry, what an absolute clown Laugh
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 5:21 PM BST
We can rule out Geography teacher for richters anyway lads, this thread could become a thing of beauty now because of that comments richters
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 5:23 PM BST
That's Curry GAA and they ain't called Curry Gaels either.
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:24 PM BST
bellaghy is a village on the north side of charlestown co.mayo,actually on the same street,o horas pub, and anyone claiming to be from sligo would of travelled through this village if they were ever in galway.......... yes it is most definitely in sligo
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:25 PM BST
DEAR OH DEAR is all i can say
Report freddiek June 12, 2013 5:29 PM BST
RF wouldnt have known that as he never leaves Sligo town
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:31 PM BST
what kinda sligo doesnt know this is the question im asking myself....lol....what do you think of this latest clanger ozy?
Report richters June 12, 2013 5:33 PM BST
well
1.he has previously stated he is from north sligo
2.Is a regular visitor to galway and roscommon races and to get to either he would of had to pass through the said village

so i dont know?
Report bunker June 12, 2013 5:36 PM BST
rocketfingers is from fatima mansions.....he has never even seen sligo.....
Report kingrat June 12, 2013 6:23 PM BST
dickie is like a boil on yre arse.....it was a good thread but of course it was only a matter of time before this bitter,twisted indivual made an appearance to fck it up.to paraphase a song...."its my party and i will spoil it if i want to"Laugh
Report richters June 12, 2013 6:31 PM BST
r u embarassed by your bumchums latest gaffe?by the way any selections for us to lay this evening from your trustworthy connections? only man on any forum on here with the 100% record....
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 7:09 PM BST
richters the point i'm making they don't have a team ! So why did you ask the question why would a player play for a club 50 miles away? Tehn state it's 50 miles from a place in Donegal to a place that has no clu? Please answer that question, but i think we all know it's obvious you were talking about the GAA club in Derry and got totally confused displaying your minus IQ again.
Report richters June 12, 2013 7:14 PM BST
ROTFL Bellaghy is not even in Sligo it's in Derry, what an absolute clown

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go away and dont annoy me head anymore you have been shown up once again as a fantasist.......you are now digging the hole even deeper for yourself......END OFF.....
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 7:22 PM BST
Bellaghy GAA i meant obviouly we were talking about GAA clubs. You once again have been exposed as the fool you are.
Report richters June 12, 2013 7:24 PM BST
LOL.....your an embarassment.........
Report richters June 12, 2013 7:26 PM BST
Rocketfingers

Rocketfingers
12 Jun 13 17:21
| Topic/replies: 6,712 | Blogger: Rocketfingers's blog
We can rule out Geography teacher for richters anyway lads, this thread could become a thing of beauty now because of that comments richters

NO YOU WERE TALKIN GEOGRAPHICALLY........
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 7:27 PM BST
Yes but why would you mention a place without a team when we were speaking about what club i played for?
Report richters June 12, 2013 7:31 PM BST
you told me it wasnt 5omile from the top of sligo to the bottom,i replied by tellin you that from the most southerly point of sligo which is bellaghy to the most northerly is well in excess of 50mile....
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 7:45 PM BST
Bore off you've been caught out and caught out badly, class A fool
Report richters June 12, 2013 7:48 PM BST
the forum can decide whos tellin lies.....
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 7:50 PM BST
Shame you have to look for support of Wildclown and Pa, you were speaking about GAA clubs and got mixed up with the Derry village.
Report yummy June 12, 2013 8:28 PM BST
Contributed to the thread earlier today , just logged back in and was pleased to see 48 new posts and looked forward to reading them with my cuppa.
Then I read this crock of sh1t
Report kavvie June 12, 2013 9:27 PM BST
crock of sh1t for sure yummy
Report guinness2dear June 12, 2013 9:31 PM BST
No wonder i stopped posting on ere..
Report kavvie June 12, 2013 9:34 PM BST
now u see why.its just a few though that are ruining it for others
Report guinness2dear June 12, 2013 10:15 PM BST
I agree with that kavvie, but it's the forum that is suffering..
Report Rocketfingers June 12, 2013 10:59 PM BST
Give it up richters, you come on to this thread that has nothing to do with you and run it into the ground. You're absolute Moron that bar complaining about jocks any time a horse you bet on loses and of course your New York thread you don't ever comment on betting or start a thread. I give Pa clear and precise reasoning why that was a bad bet today, we never brought it down to your childish insults !
Report el gato June 13, 2013 7:04 PM BST
Is English your second language?
Report richters June 13, 2013 7:16 PM BST
i blame the jewish blood maself
Report Rocketfingers June 13, 2013 7:35 PM BST
Laugh Bloody hell el gato you must be really down on your luck my friend when you're taking it out on me. el gato my one tip to you as a friend is that betting is not for everyone, just remember that amigo.
Report el gato June 13, 2013 7:40 PM BST
a bit like English and geography then
Report Rocketfingers June 13, 2013 7:52 PM BST
Thanks my friend, but i think i have just about enough to get by, but i must admit i certainly would not have neither the vocabulary or the scholarship to come out with such fine sentences as "hurl spudz off a duck's back". Maybe you should spend a little more time on trying to have a winning day instead of reading the likes of Wordsworth or Shakespeare although it probably suits you more to keep away from the betting lad.
Report kabcast June 14, 2013 10:01 PM BST
What a side they were,fluke a 1-0 v England under the cosh most of match,then Whelan shins one in v Russians and its greatest goal ever scored,then a superb dutch side finally put us out of our misery,ole ole ole.All true home grown talent throughout the team,big mick hoofs it up front, bypassing cockney andy and gorbals ray as usual,looking for scouse aldo or tony cas (not even eligible to play for the boys in green),smashin stuff.
Report onehundredK June 15, 2013 12:28 AM BST
italy in giants stadium and Romania in genoa both better imo
Report kavvie June 15, 2013 1:22 PM BST
well said kab
Report Kelly June 16, 2013 12:47 PM BST
That Irish team would have had even greater appeal if it had still been in the "silent movies " era .  But when a lot of the players did  not speak in sibilant Irish soft tones ......
Report Rocketfingers June 16, 2013 12:51 PM BST
Kelly don't be getting jealous just because Northern Ireland have done nothing in years, you've had your fair share of English born players than through the years.
Report Kelly June 16, 2013 2:04 PM BST
Jealousy would never enter into it , Rocket , particularly in relation to soccer . We are worse than you are in national ( ie one province vs 3 provinces )soccer terms , only thing that will benefit soccer North and South is a properly integrated combined operation , club , province , national , a la rugby organisation .

But lots of obstacles , would make our Assembly ( artificial ) look well organised that sort of obstacle .
Report Rocketfingers June 16, 2013 2:09 PM BST
I can't see FIFA allowing two different countries to join together Kelly. I think if we had to join together with another county it would be Spain, Argentina or Brazil.
Report richters June 17, 2013 2:58 AM BST
oooooo deer.........
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com