Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lustrumm
03 Jun 13 18:00
| Topic/replies: 2,601 | Blogger: lustrumm's blog
0 for 14 the latest tally of favourites from the 2 day meeting for June at the kip of all kips for punters. Ever since this meeting transferred from Tralee (Have you noticed how quickly that fell off the news page)
Today in particular there were freak results. Just goes to show when the ground changes form students are wasting their time
Pause Switch to Standard View Listowel: The new Punters Graveyard
Show More
Report kavvie June 3, 2013 6:13 PM BST
whats the story with tralee?
Report silvergreaser June 3, 2013 6:29 PM BST
not one fav even made the frame today?
Report Arklearkle June 3, 2013 6:33 PM BST
Todays card included 3 handicap hurdles, a beginners chase, a handicap chase and a hunters chase. That says it all. It was a day to be a layer.
Report tony57 June 3, 2013 6:49 PM BST
i think the size of the fields is also to blame..20 odd runners in every race is a nightmare imo i only had 1 bet there today ninas in the bumper..the rest was just too hard for me tbh..
Report lustrumm June 3, 2013 9:03 PM BST
Looking at the last favourite going around one would  be forgiven for thinking it was carrying 15 stone not 12. When the punters lose their way at a meeting there seems to be no logic to results.
I often find the second meeting on a Bank Holiday like that. I guess throw in the ground change, point to pointers going racing with no form lines after their own season ends and punters can't work the races out.
Report jimeen June 3, 2013 9:23 PM BST
Lustrumm,i agree with alot of what you are saying but today looked a devilishly difficult card. 2 mares races,a hunters chase and 4 impossible looking handicaps and finally the worst kind of betting medium a 2 and a half mile bumper. Yesterday was nowhere near as bad,bar the winner of Rothwells,the other 6 were not impossible to back by any means. Tony57 isnt too far off the mark either,there was far too many runners there today,its far too narrow for big fields and it makes luck in running more important than it should be. You know that old adage the bigger the field the bigger the certainty,well you can be guaranteed anybody you ever heard saying that finished up on skidrow,because the real adage should be if they are not running they cant beat you,and in this case in Listowel,if they are not running they cant interfere with you.
Report wildmanfromborneo June 3, 2013 9:33 PM BST
How in heavens name was Ashford Wood a 5/4 shot in the bumper,he was beaten by an unfancied Willie Mullins trained horse at Tipperary on the 16/11/13 and he had a dog hard race that day as did all the runners on that dreadful ground.

Jubilee Year was another winner that day in Tipperary and he too was beaten out of sight today in Listowel.

Draw a line through that Tipperary form and swerve all who ran there that day.
Report neill d June 3, 2013 9:39 PM BST
What did you make of Meade's winner the other Evening Wildman? Devilspaintbrush, sounds like they are going to keep him on the go through the Summer. Sixstonened jumped beautifully there as well yesterday, seems Meade is training them from Fairyhouse Irish National meeting, breaking for Punchestown and then carrying on through Summer to October. I think he has given up completely trying compete with the machine. it might make for some solid favs through the summer though!!
Report lustrumm June 3, 2013 9:39 PM BST
Well that's my point wildman. Punters on the chevvy and bookies not about to give anything back and thus the punters will take a bad price. If 4 favourites had won it would have been 9/4 not 5/4.
I can't recall a single day's racing with bigger priced winners, not really referring to just SP but the betfair sp. 

In fact in think it is been a good little mini run for the bookies (for all the little money that is left in the ring nowadays) since Punchestown.
We need a good dry spell to get the form lines straightened out
Report wildmanfromborneo June 3, 2013 9:50 PM BST
I think the Noel Meade stable is in terminal decline.

Much as I like Kilbeggan you have to accept it is the lowest form of National Hunt racing,Six Stone Ned owed his victory to a brilliant Davy Condon ride and a poor Paddy Kennedy one and Devils Paintbrush victory was down to the now ludicrous Meade Mullins bumper pact and Mullins running one of his worst bumper horses.
Report neill d June 3, 2013 9:58 PM BST
That thread of yours certainly contained some interesting theories, no one here was surprised by the result of that Bumper when they saw where the money was going lets put it that way. lowest form is right, but I think Sixstone will win plenty more in Summer over next few years. I liked his run at Limerick and he seems to have a natural athleticism in his jumping that most Summer horses don't have. He can drop back in trip so plenty of opportunities. Condon did give him a great ride(but the horse came up for him at every fence as well, he was gaining lengths nearly every time, big advantage there imo)
Report Kelly June 4, 2013 12:01 AM BST
Irish bookies have had a good run recently . And as pointed out , when they get in front , prices contract subsequently  , what we have we hold .

Have not seen many horses I fancied being good value recently in Ireland .  Maybe the spring that was in it is to blame .
Report wildmanfromborneo June 4, 2013 12:12 AM BST
That may have applied in the past but there was fortunes for Ashford Wood here

Bookies no longer dictate prices as there are now alternative markets plus new informed layers
Report wildmanfromborneo June 4, 2013 12:18 AM BST
Surely the 2/1 about St Jean in the first race at Tramore Saturday was incredible value,a Teofilio colt running on his favoured ground following a third place finish in a Curragh maiden behind Ruler Of The World.

I have this rule that I don't back horses in Tramore and stupidly I stuck to it.
Report brain dead jockeys June 4, 2013 1:34 AM BST
i had that rule also wildman..........i break it now and then and wish i broke it for st jean..........it was a massive price.
i hate backing horses at tramore and downpatrick. they are not racetracks.
Report frankalsoran60 June 4, 2013 8:14 AM BST
Interest to note the p/pot at lisowel was NOT won[thats how bad the results were] ..15k plus carried over to fairyhouse on Wed.
Report by purpose June 4, 2013 4:38 PM BST
The last i heard there were bookmakers in Kilbeggan on Sunday and Naas yesterday and looking at the results i would say they got gelded so it wasnt all high fives for the weekend....
Report lustrumm June 4, 2013 6:57 PM BST
true enough out of by purpose, Naas was not a winning day for bookmakers but those are the vagaries of the game. AS an overall not too many on course joes lost in May I would have thought
Report kavvie June 4, 2013 9:28 PM BST
when was the last time all the favs were unplaced on a card?a longtime ago id say
Report Kelly June 5, 2013 1:22 PM BST
Horses popping up at all sorts of prices , here and in UK , over last month .  Been hard to find selected maximum bet opportunities with any degree of certainty attached to them .  Hopefully the summer will turn out good and form will settle down .

Although I love Listowel as a track , and have fond memories of it , hardly fancied anything there over the two days , but I am not into trying to solve 18 runner handicaps as a rule .  I leave those for the bookies to turn a few bob . Sometimes good viewing , but not betting propositions .
Report Vubiant September 17, 2013 10:43 AM BST
5 favs and 2 second favs out of 14 so far at the fall festival. Pretty good average imo.
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:35 PM BST
Report roadrunner46 April 13, 2019 6:36 PM BST
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com