Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
The Gotchee
23 Apr 13 12:36
| Topic/replies: 18,108 | Blogger: The Gotchee's blog
and very little coverage on the Racing Websites. Irishracing.com doesn't even have it on its featured news page. Seems like everyone is running for cover. This scandal has major implications for the industry.
It will be interesting to see how the Turf Club reacts. 
When I attend the Curragh I always take a good look at the two year olds. It often baffles me how some trainers can produce two year olds that look like bulls.Mischief
Pause Switch to Standard View The biggest doping scandal in the...
Show More
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl April 23, 2013 12:43 PM BST
Gotchee
Now you know, baffled no more..........was the same with the greyhounds for years, but better testing nowadays, but still a long ways short of what it should be........I would certainly guess that it was a tip off. Just had to be..........
Report silvergreaser April 23, 2013 12:53 PM BST
No way gotchee nobody would dare dope a horse in the squeaky clean world of Irish racing?.

What guiles me is they have journalists coming on saying Sheikh Mo will be furious?, are they really that innocent to believe the Sheikh was blissfully unaware his horses were doped?.

I always wondered how the likes of Zarooni and Suroor farmed races in their native Dubai and I bet your bottom dollar that not one of them were ever dope tested in that principality, no point in upsetting the ruler of the kingdom now is there?.
Report The Gotchee April 23, 2013 1:14 PM BST
Sheikh Mo owns and runs the whole caboodle over in  Dubai so its unlikely that there was any dope testing. It must have been a tip off, someone rang crimestoppers. The integrity services of the Turf Club will be under pressure now, even with their 6 million euro Budget. Are Godolphin unique in this type and this scale of skullduggery? Surprised
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle April 23, 2013 1:49 PM BST
I liked zaronni and when I heard it first I had given him slack. Some 12 hours later I have completely changed my opinion, giving horses anabolic steroids is no mistake banned under any circumstances in training or not. He should be given a 10 year ban from British racing...which effectively ends his career. Disgraceful actions and terrible excuse. I hope he admits to his cheating.....I do hope.the Turf club consider the possibility of nulling blue bunting s oaks win if it emerges a sysmatic culture od. Drug abuse and cheating was found. Sheikh money well its just another addition to his his Cv. He will call innocense but we all know he is the leader...I love.to ban him 5 years but we know that will never happen
Report RoyalAcademy April 23, 2013 2:09 PM BST
Possibly a case of truth being stranger than fiction. At a macro-economic level it seems inconceivable that anyone (Middle-Eastern, Irish or English) would risk a multi-million investment in bloodstock by so flagrantly abusing the rules. Cases of doping come and go and there's little doubt there is an absence of true determination to discover what is really going on. There is a noteable absence of whistle-blowers if its true but, as we all know, nothing putrid can last (take your pick from the Catholic Church to the Iron Curtain/Middle-East to political fraud or economic mismanagement) the truth will always out. If Godolphin and their cheerleaders have been responsible for wholesale abuse and doping then, arguably, it has WORSENED rather than improved their results for a decade so that seems illogical.

A rogue trainer with no European racing pedigree succumbs to the pressure of failure?

A Dubai ruler, anxioulsy looking over his shoulder at worsening tensions in Bahrain and the wider Magrheb and Levant decides to pull in his horns and end his glorious accociation with European bloodstock. First Frankie, now this. All empires eventually end in disaster. One thing's for sure, the annual visit to meet the Queen at Royal Ascot suddenly won't look so enticing and, assuming Chemical Al gets fired, we all know the best course of action for Godolphin would be to spread their horses around to many trainers and they will return to the glory days via Stoute, Cecil, Bolger et al. And yet this would be failure of the great project on a grand scale.
Report tony57 April 23, 2013 3:35 PM BST
great post royal
  but i dont agree with all of it..firstly no doubt the trainer will get a ban..but this is not a isolated incident..but it could be a devastating day for racing in the British isles, people forget the sheik maktoum..saved the racing post..he has his tentacles..in all racing in these isles..even jumping now..if this man jumps ship what or how will racing react?..im not sure godolphin will crumble because of this?..but as i say if they do what affect will that have on our sport?
Report silvergreaser April 23, 2013 6:41 PM BST
http://www.dubaiworldcup.com/race/horsemen-info/rules-regulations

NOTES ON PROHIBITED SUBSTANCES

1.Participants should be aware of the unpredictable and prolonged excretion times of certain Prohibited Substances, such as long-acting anabolic steroids (e.g. Boldenone), long-acting corticosteroids (e.g. methylprednisolone) and procaine from the use of procaine penicillin. It is strongly recommended that participants utilise the pre-race elective sampling program to determine the suitability to race of horses that have been administered any of these substances - see section 4 below."

Astonishing and pretty damning don't you think?, suggests Sheikh Mo was well aware?, in their own rules they're actually almost advocating the use of banned substance but please give it time to flush out of your system?.
Report silvergreaser April 23, 2013 9:09 PM BST
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/sheikh-mohammed-gets-six-month-ban-from-...
Report Kelly April 23, 2013 11:28 PM BST
Surely every trainer has a complete record of what each horse eats and what medication is administered . Cant think of much else the authorities would be interested in provided the animals are not subject to abuse .

The veterinary care aspect to training involves trained professional practitioners . And someone must order up drugs and medication .

That a trainer in charge of very expensive horseflesh claims he did not know that anabolic steroids being administered to his horses , by his staff , or by his vets , or anyone else were banned ( except presumably in very specific circumstances ) is simply ludicrous .

That another thread says that he would have been all right in Australia raises another lot of questions . And considering the use of bute in USA , the world wide element of competition on a global scale evolves to a  farce .  Have long thought that .

No drug can make an animal run faster apparently .  But it can assist an animal to run at top speed for longer .  The Aussies were the first to develope that aspect of horse care , it percolated through to here in the 1960's  , but thankfully got detected ( after quite a few coups ) and was stopped .

Horse racing is not the first or only sport to have attracted the "additives "syndrome . Cycling has been bedevilled for upwards of 40 -50 years by the chemists , swimming has had problems , athletics has suffered , the list just gets longer and longer year by year .  Professionalism is partly to blame , no rugby player up to the 1990's would have spent fortunes on additives and weekly diet , partly because there was no money in it . Would hate to fund a weekly bill encompassing those aspects of diet nowadays for the pros !

Unfortunately this story will run and run , not good for anyone involved .  And if the punters ever up stumps and leave , there will be no industry .
Report Ozymandius April 24, 2013 12:17 AM BST
great post RoyalAcademy.
Report silvergreaser April 24, 2013 12:27 PM BST
Seems the stable vet is just as an important a cog in the wheel as the trainer is himself, or in some cases even more important?.

Anyone remember when Binocular was a certain nr for the champion hurdle a few year ago just a fortnight before the race?, scratched by all the bookmakers and trading at colossal odds on the machine, virtually nobody was aware Binocular had been to Ireland and had undergone veterinary attention under John Halley, the renowned Irish vet employed by the Ballydoyle/Coolmore operation, and the horses remarkable transformation was complete and duly hosed up in the Champion hurdle.
Report workrider April 24, 2013 12:37 PM BST
Strange goings on alright .....
Report Kelly April 24, 2013 12:54 PM BST
Kicking King ?
Report silvergreaser April 24, 2013 1:00 PM BST
Yeah Kelly I remember Kicking King well, we can safely say there was nowt wrong with the horse but a cunning ploy to fleece the unwary on the machine.
Report Kelly April 24, 2013 2:32 PM BST
Bet there was a vet involved somewhere along the line , silver .

"Professional" opinions ( quite rightly in a lot of cases ) carry a certain gravitas .  But blind faith in them is dangerous -- know any doctors who have never got it wrong ?
Report Blackwater April 24, 2013 8:45 PM BST
Racing's been on RTE every day this week.

Have they mentioned the doping issue?
Report silvergreaser April 24, 2013 9:16 PM BST
Couldnt be seen to show the seedier side of racing when they're showing and promoting racings shop window blackwater.
Report Blackwater April 24, 2013 9:40 PM BST
I didn't see the whole programme, SG. Stopped watching after the jockeys taking penalties and the fashion feature.

Thought they might have found the time to at least discuss the doping scandal.
Report silvergreaser April 24, 2013 9:53 PM BST
A few days to go yet so they might find a slot to discuss it but I wouldnt bank on it, be interesting to hear what Ted has to say on the matter?.
Report kincsem April 24, 2013 10:11 PM BST
They will find a "culprit", probably a mucking-out stable hand, feign surprise, shock, "we must tighten up procedures", and then business as usual.  Has the trainer admitted it, or fudged?
Report padlock April 25, 2013 7:00 AM BST
all very quiet in the media,a bit like cycling,science trying to out-do the testers,people will try to profit to win prizemoney whatever the sport Sad
Report Newmanix April 25, 2013 8:21 AM BST
the scandals in sheik mos wikiepdia page make interesting reading.
Report paddywhacker1970 April 25, 2013 9:24 AM BST
Kevin Blake has wrote about it. I wasn't aware about the situation in Australia, very shocking.

http://www.theirishfield.ie/site/article.php?id=3046&cid=5

Blake’s Blog: Al Zarooni Case Poses Many Questions

Last Monday, racing was shaken to the core by the announcement that 11 horses trained by Mahmood Al Zarooni, one of the leading trainers for Sheikh Mohammed’s Godophin racing operation, had tested positive for one of two types of anabolic steroids, ethylestranol and stanozolol.

For those unfamiliar with these medications, the use of anabolic steroids such as stanozolol, better known as Winstrol, can increase appetite, muscle mass, strength and red blood cell production in horses. Whether it will make a slow horse faster is a point of debate, but it can undoubtedly help a horse to physically thrive and reach its full athletic potential. While some media outlets have chosen to sensationalise the notion of administering anabolic steroids to horses, billing stanozolol as “the steroid that Ben Johnson used”, it isn’t all that uncommon in the wider racing world.

Indeed, in Australia, Al Zarooni would have actually escaped punishment altogether for his offences, as out-of-competition use of anabolic steroids is permitted as long as they don’t turn up in raceday samples. Remember that the next time you marvel at the remarkable size and strength of Australian-trained sprinters at Royal Ascot.

While in America, anabolic steroids were a legitimate and routine part of the conditioning of racehorses until being banned by most states in 2009.

However, there is a totally different stance on anabolic steroids in Britain and Ireland. They are not permitted to be used on horses in licensed racing yards at any time.

As shocking as the news of the positive results were, Al Zarooni’s explanation raised more questions than it answered. He stated: “I have made a catastrophic error. Because the horses involved were not racing at the time, I did not realise that what I was doing was in breach of the rules of racing.”

The very obvious question in reply to that is, if Al Zarooni was unaware that the rules of racing only prohibited the use of steroids to horses that were racing, for how long and to what extent has he allowed horses in his care to be administered steroids whilst they were being conditioned to return to racing?

One imagines that the key to steroid use, in common with the innumerable common medications that can be given to racehorses legally but are not permitted to be in a horses system when racing, is that they must not be administered to the horse within an established withdrawal period prior to racing.

What we know is that none of Al Zarooni’s horses that tested positive had raced since early-November and the tests in question were undertaken on April 9th. Given that this was over two weeks after the Flat season had commenced and less than a month before Certify, one of the horses that tested positive, was due to contest the 1000 Guineas, one can reasonably assume that that the horses had not been administered the banned substances recently. According to guidelines given to American trainers, the withdrawal period for stanozolol is in the region of 30-45 days. Thus, one has to wonder that if the tests had been undertaken a month or two earlier, how many of the 45 horses that were tested would have returned as positive?

With that in mind, the next question that one can’t help but ponder is whether or not the horses in question wintered in Newmarket or in common with many Godolphin horses over the years, had spent the winter in Dubai, and if so, how long had they been back in England prior to the tests being undertaken. Suffice to say, the BHA inquiry is sure to be very revealing.

As well as the questions that this case raises about the individual trainer concerned, it also raises wider questions. Are these practices an isolated incident, or are they common policy within not just the Godolphin operation, but amongst other top European-based trainers?

One can only hope that such a high-profile case as this will give the racing authorities both in Britain and Ireland the drive to invest in increased out-of-competition testing and to seriously look at the entire out-of-competition testing policies so that we can get real answers to these very serious questions.

The main problem that the authorities face in tackling out-of-competitive drug administration is the grey area of non-licensed yards. Under the current rules, horses can only be tested by the authorities when they are officially returned as in training and stabled on licensed premises.

If a horse is in a pre-training yard or back at their owners stud farm, they cannot be tested by the authorities and thus those that seek to gain an unfair advantage could potentially administer a cocktail of banned substances prior to sending the horse back to their trainer after the withdrawal periods for the substances have elapsed.

In Ireland, a possible solution could involve spot-checks on ALL registered equine premises by the Department of Agriculture. Using steroids on animals is an illegal activity in Ireland and is an area in which the Department has quite a bit of experience.

We all love this sport and while coverage such as the Al Zarooni case does the game no favours, racing cannot and should not make the mistake of closing its eyes and ears and hoping that this is an isolated incident. The expense of increasing the levels of out-of-competition testing and the non-monetary cost of the bad press that would result from potentially increased numbers of positive tests in the short term are prices that are worth paying to promote a level playing field and for the long-term integrity and reputation of our sport.
Report Blackwater April 25, 2013 4:12 PM BST
Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I've always assumed doping was widespread in racing.

If coaching staff in other sports are content to inject stuff like 'Winstrol' (love the name) into human athletes, Lord knows what they must be pumping into racehorses.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle April 25, 2013 6:58 PM BST
Imagine if Aidan O Brien was in Zarooni's shoes the press would simply crucify him.

Special interests fill this game and no one will dare critize his Highness the Dictator.

Good riddance IMO.....The Godolphin name is shamed forever!
Report J.R.Hartley April 25, 2013 7:12 PM BST
The Sheikh is obviously untouchable but how Simon Crisford hasn't been implicated i don't know.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle April 25, 2013 7:14 PM BST
Crisford....

How does he still have a job?? the whole thing is rancid
Report silvergreaser April 25, 2013 7:24 PM BST
Aidan O'Brien crucified? I very much doubt that ruby, the Turf Club would probably have commenced a major cover up if Coolmore were involved, the story wouldn't have seen the light of day.
Report Kelly April 25, 2013 11:26 PM BST
The whole schemozzle about what horses take into their system now has to come under scrutiny , world wide in particular , otherwise there will be no WORLDWIDE .  If there are no world wide rules , properly policed , there is no future in international racing .

The rules here in most of Europe are stringent and sensible , occasionally innocent horse carers get tripped up by the most minute traces of "illegal substances " . USA tolerates substances we dont , Australia also has different rules and views on steroids .  Think Hong Kong and Singapore are in the European "boat" , stringent .

If horses disappear off the training establishment for a break , who feeds them , who administers to them ?  The horses cant talk , the only evidence re their systems comes from samples . But if a horse comes back after a "holiday " looking  big and full of beans and having thrived , who knows what is in its system ? 

When we punters cant trust form and other factors , we wont be long finding some other medium for our punting . That should worry those who run racing  , but I am not sure they are all capable of waking up and sorting the rules properly .
Report Vubiant April 26, 2013 12:34 AM BST
Credibility of racing is in tatters. Don't know if the situation can be retrieved but for a start the authorities should  extend random unannounced testing and apply life bans for any infringements.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 26, 2013 12:46 AM BST
Two trainers were caught by a new test in Ireland when I mentioned it here the usual suspects reported me and threatened me with litigation.
Report padlock April 26, 2013 6:17 AM BST
which 2 wildman?
Report silvergreaser April 26, 2013 7:58 AM BST
Considering Irish show jumping has been shown to be rife with doping and this a sport thats only really about prestige?.
Irish racing with its gambling incentives, often lucrative prisemoney and a possible lucrative career at stud suggests it's almost certainly awash with banned substances.

Begs the question how many surprise visits do the Turf Club carry out on individual stables if any?, or do they just do the norm and test only race winners, and even then you can ask the question how many of these samples are actually sent to the lab to be analysed?, as it costs money.

Most of the drugs are usually out of the system by race days anyway.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 26, 2013 7:59 AM BST
Not a Great White but a red one

Cocaine on fire
Report wildmanfromborneo April 26, 2013 8:19 AM BST
The bad news for Silvergreaser is one sure fire way of knowing if a horse was doped in his career is by following his stud career.

Doped horses always flop at stud.

Show jumpers are not given performance enhancing drugs they are given drugs to enable rapping and other outlawed practices take place
Report Newmanix April 26, 2013 9:33 AM BST
"Cocaine on fires" horse yesterday.  Was it bleeding or what?
Report silvergreaser April 26, 2013 9:41 AM BST
Wildman so worried are Irish Equestrian sports about the increase in use of prohibited substance that theyve recently introduced random dope testing themselves rather than rely on the FEI the world equestrian organisation to find the cheats.

Also give me some proof that doped horses dont do well at stud wildman?.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 26, 2013 10:10 AM BST
Doping causes. Infertility
Doping was widespread in France in the fifties hence they won all the top races,all these horses were disasters at stud.

These current events are a justification of your long held position,there is very little testing of horses in Dubai and is widespread there

In cycling and track and field doping is rife,these athletes do it knowing the long term damage it will do the horse doesn't know so he is pumped with whatever they can get away with it.
Report kincsem April 27, 2013 2:59 AM BST
It would be more believable if Godolphin were giving them drugs to make them go slow based on the evidence of the last few years. Devil
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 8:27 AM BST
Not a Great White but a red one

Cocaine on fire

Jaysus Borneo, can you at least make the clues cryptic Cry

And you should not put up this unless you are 100% certain; that does not include hearing it on a bar stool or having a friend who knows an Inspector etc.
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 8:29 AM BST
And you are asking to be reported with that post btw, not my style, but you can rest assured that somebody will.
Report silvergreaser April 27, 2013 9:48 AM BST
Report what ozy?, are you really that naive, or do you think everyone involved in the cesspit of Irish racing are all fine upstanding citizens who would never dare try to gain an unfair advantage or screw the unwary?.
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 9:52 AM BST
These guys are in business, Greaser.

As far as I know these supposed positive drug tests have not been reported publicly.

If you were in business, and someone on a widely read public forum repeatedly made unsubstantiated claims which were hugely detrimental to your business and reputation, how would you feel and what would you do?
Report workrider April 27, 2013 9:57 AM BST
Be careful Silvergreaser , The forums Housewife has her knife out for you , Shes only happy when shes spilling the beans..
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 10:08 AM BST
If I was interested in spilling the beans, wonky, the thread would be down by now.
Report workrider April 27, 2013 10:35 AM BST
Glad to see you recognized yourself OZY...Laugh
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 10:51 AM BST
The difference between me and you, wonky, sorry ONE of the differences, is that I see nothing derrogatory in the term housewife.

To your pre-existing prejudices of homophobia and racism, it appears we can now had sexism.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 27, 2013 11:09 AM BST
The irony is that tis you that thinks the word housewife derogatory in your crazy politically correct world it suggests submissiveness and a lack of fulfilment.
In my time it was the mans job to be the provider and the woman when she got married became a housewife and reared the children,they actually had good lives.
Then on came the loons with sociology degrees saying a woman can't be fulfilled unless they worked outside of the home,they work outside the home now alright and have to do the housework and child rearing as well,the modern woman in an attempt to be free have never been as subjugated.
Report Vubiant April 27, 2013 11:28 AM BST
A doozy of a thread.
Only on the Irish 4um can a discussion on horse doping turn into a treatise on the travails of feminism.Laugh
Add in the required mix of ingredients ( as an enslaved housewife would in a kitchen/baking scenario Grin) e.g. mystery , faux outrage and veiled threats and viewers descend into a state of convulsed hilarity.
Report workrider April 27, 2013 11:37 AM BST
OZY , A typical left winger , ANYTHING THAT ENDS IN ISM APART FROM COMMUNISM  that is ,IS BAD ...Racism Sexism etc...Laugh...Cant really see you having to worry about a wife though.....Laugh....
Report workrider April 27, 2013 12:44 PM BST
I see the Turf  Club have now gone on the offensive and will be doing more vigorous testing for Anabolic Steroids   .....I wonder will any trainers on this side of the irish sea be worried......
Report silvergreaser April 27, 2013 1:09 PM BST
Where did you read that workrider?, the resident snitch will probably forewarn them weeks in advance before the "so called" dawn raid, how do you explain why only Paul Carberry and one other jockey has failed a breathalyser test in the last few years?, Irish jockeys must be the soberest in the world lol.

Phone call from resident snitch, Eh Johnny Jockey yourself and Jimmy Jockey are earmarked for a breathalyser test on Sunday morning so I'll advise you to sit in on Saturday night or only have one glass of wine with your Indian Curry.
Report workrider April 27, 2013 1:22 PM BST
The field silvergreaser...
Report silvergreaser April 27, 2013 1:30 PM BST
Cheers workrider.
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 1:31 PM BST
Communism is probably the worst of the isms, wonky.  Up there with Republicanism anyway

The irony is that tis you that thinks the word housewife derogatory

Oh, I see, wonky meant it as term of endearment! 

Personally I try to restrict the amount of cleaning, laundry cooking and housework done by my woman to pratically zero.  If she had to do any of those things herself I would view myself as something of a failure for not being able to support her and look after her properly.  And to be honest the modern international woman of a certain class, posesses very few of these skills anyway.
Report workrider April 27, 2013 1:40 PM BST
My wife is outside at this very minute cutting the grass ....She is a very capable lady and needs very little help from myself ...Ozy , methinks you mix up , a , helping hand , with  ,I must obey ....Laugh..sounds to me as if she has you were she wants you...
Report workrider April 27, 2013 1:47 PM BST
My apologies OZY , if that should read , HE has you were HE WANTS YOU...Laugh
Report Ozymandius April 27, 2013 1:49 PM BST
Laugh

It sounds like you have yourself what used to be known as a 'two bucket woman'.  Fair play, but they don't exist anymore.

What time is your tea being served up?
Report workrider April 27, 2013 2:24 PM BST
A farmers daughter , Hard to beat alright ...If i'm truthful i'd be lost without her ....
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl April 27, 2013 2:25 PM BST
The Doncaster St. Leger result where Camelot got beaten for the Triple Crown is surely of interest in the further investigations of the doping scandal.
Report silvergreaser April 29, 2013 8:13 AM BST
the plot gets even murkier.

From the Racing post...

BRITISH racing lurched back into crisis on Monday as a second Newmarket trainer admitted to using anabolic steroids on his horses.

Gerard Butler has told the BHA that several of his horses received treatment consisting of injections of anabolic steroids for injured joints. The trainer believes more than 100 racehorses across Newmarket may have been given the same treatment.

The news comes just days after Godolphin trainer Mahmood Al Zarooni received an eight-year ban for administering anabolic steroids to 15 horses under his care, a scandal which thrust British racing into the worldwide media spotlight.

However, unlike in the Al Zarooni case, Butler said the treatment came recommended by vets, who told him the treatment was widespread in Newmarket, and included the injections in his official medical records where were seen and returned by the BHA without comment.

Butler told the Independent: "It did not cross my mind that there could be any problem with this medication. And, judging from the fact that the BHA said nothing about it when they saw my medical book, it does not seem to have crossed their minds, either."

Butler believes the medication, known as Sungate, to have been commonly recommend by vets in Newmarket for the treatment of joint injuries.

"I have been very uncomfortable over the past few days, hearing and reading about the Al Zarooni case," he said.

"I feel people need to know about what has happened in my yard. I know I'm obliged to satisfy myself that each and every treatment is within the rules, and I failed to do so in this case.

"But I am certain that this medication has been misunderstood by many others. And I just hope that the BHA is being suitably rigorous in establishing whether that is indeed the case."

Butler, who said he is co-operating with the BHA, added: "I have been totally candid throughout, and it was I who told the BHA that I had treated four colts in December and January. I’m not trying to defend myself, just to explain what happened. And I must emphasise I was advised in good faith by my vets."
Report Kelly April 29, 2013 11:05 AM BST
Big can of worms , it looks like . How many others have been sleeping poorly these last few days ?

The part the vets play in the horse racing scene is going to come under even more scrutiny than to date . It is obviously an asset for a trainer to be veterinary savvy , but if it becomes almost obligatory it would not necessarily be the best day for the sport .
Report silvergreaser April 29, 2013 11:35 AM BST
Yeah Kelly the equine vet profession are not coming out of this smelling of roses.

The crowd that treat Butlers horses in Newmarket are making no comment as they're currently facing a BHA enquiry, interesting to see if more trainers are implicated at the enquiry.
Report workrider April 29, 2013 12:04 PM BST
Will they revisit the Royal Trainer , who's vet claimed he never knew that what he was injecting into certain horses , was prohibited ...?
Report Vubiant April 29, 2013 12:38 PM BST
I don't mean to malign the veterinary profession en masse -but it's worth recording that many vets colluded with farmers in perpetrating ( and perpetuating) the Bovine TB scandal in previous decades...
This was once described by Dr. T K Whittaker as the greatest scandal in the history of the State ( at least up to that point 20+ years agoSad).

Makes one wonder about the level of regulation of veterinary activity that is applied -or is there any ?
Report Kelly April 30, 2013 2:48 PM BST
More details emerging from background notes made by the investigation team . He brought the substances in from Dubai in his own luggage , filled syringes himself and handed out these to a staff member ( unqualified veterinary wise ) for injection into selected horses .  Not exactly a stable routine operation in full and transparent view of others apart from the selected staff member .

Question arises as to how prevalent such administration was back where he had been before ?
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle May 4, 2013 6:04 PM BST
Love how the betfair mods removed my thread on Godolphin being Cheats.

I guess Sheikh Mo must have ordered his Diktat to everyone in the game.

Pathetic
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com