Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Gone!
03 Apr 13 14:18
| Topic/replies: 1,097 | Blogger: Gone!'s blog
This should be interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8bxzk7TYB4
Pause Switch to Standard View Gambling documentary
Show More
Report Rocketfingers April 3, 2013 2:33 PM BST
I'm not doubting this story but there are a few things that seem odd to me, first Boyles to take 10k? And what the guy said in the Star today that in the rough areas of Dublin he can get 10k on if he wears a track suit. His 10k bet was a Double Bayern Munich to beat Chelsea and Ulster +8 points. I've no idea of the Rugby bet but his football bet was probably unlucky and i know some serious players who were on Munich. Looking at past records for the match Boyles were no bigger than 4/5 for the match, he has 5/6 down as the price on the docket.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 3, 2013 2:44 PM BST
You just don't understand gambling at all.

How did the Post Office man get on,how did Factory John get on,serial losers can get what they like on because they are serial losers.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 3, 2013 2:44 PM BST
You just don't understand gambling at all.

How did the Post Office man get on,how did Factory John get on,serial losers can get what they like on because they are serial losers.
Report Gone! April 3, 2013 3:55 PM BST
No bookie would refuse 10k on a champions league final. 5/6 was freely available for a few days before the match. Looking at the way the price moved and the way the match played out it is hard to argue with that bet. Wouldn't know much about the rugby side of things but i would have thought that it would be easier to find an edge in a lesser profile match.
Report Rocketfingers April 3, 2013 4:17 PM BST
Ya true, champions league final sure i can see that and of course a double books would love to see that sort of bet coming, but in the Star he talked iirc about prem matches i'd have thought they'd not take 10k over the counter from someone who is meant to be a shrewdie, i've never tried tbh but considering a bookmaker knocked me back for 75 each way on Sweeney tunes the other day i find it difficult to understand how you could get that on a high street bookmaker. In regards to the price i have bookmakers who were 5/6 and even bigger but Boyles look like they were never bigger than 4/5, that could be wrong maybe if they went up and then came back down in price. Ah look i'm sure it's right but i would be amazed if a bookmaker is taking 10k over the counter from a 'winning customer' even if he's wearing a tracksuit.
Report Gone! April 3, 2013 5:08 PM BST
When it comes to football betting, especially prem/champions league, I don't think it matters if your a considered shrewdie or not. Because of the strength of these markets, any bookie will lay you what you want as long as 'the price is there' I'd be very surprised if anyone could give an example of how they were refused a cash bet in a shop on match odds in a high profile game. (unless its an independant and its significantly arbing)
Just looking at the game in question, Chelsea 1st 11 included Bosingwa, Kalou and Bertrand! No JT or Torres. 20 Bayern corners to Chelsea's 1. even tho it was beat, 5/6 looked a steal
Report Rocketfingers April 3, 2013 5:22 PM BST
Oh as i said Bayern looked a serious for that match that day and were extremely well punted and the lad was unlucky with that one. Ah you raise good points to be fair goal in regards to the high profile matches although i would question getting that money down on a prem match but i never tried that kind of amount or even close to it tbh, if i do i'll be telling you all about it Happy.
Report joe9000 April 3, 2013 11:51 PM BST
all looks v suspect. he writes a blog for boyles, therefore is on their payroll, meaning he shudn't be able to bet with them by rights
Report snap crackle and pop April 4, 2013 12:00 AM BST
As far as I'm aware MD was offered to take part in a similar type of Documentary before he left for sunnier climes but declined the offer
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby April 4, 2013 12:14 AM BST
PMSL the biggest pile of 5hite I have seen in a long time. Wafting bundles of 50s around in B0yles ffs Laugh
Its like the Veitch book........complete make believe.
Report Rocketfingers April 4, 2013 12:41 AM BST
I think so to Diamond Joe, as i said i can't be sure but i don't think Boyles ever went 5/6 but regardless €10k on a avg prem game i have my doubt if they'd take it. It just smells to me and now that someone says he writes blogs for Spoils i smell a rat as well. Also why would you carry that sort of money around with you when you? It's a massive security risk when you could get it down on the net not to mention he's cycling around with on a bike wearing a tracksuit lol. Bloody hell my wee office is better than his set up as well.
Report never give up April 4, 2013 12:49 AM BST

Apr 3, 2013 -- 6:00PM, snap crackle and pop wrote:

As far as I'm aware MD was offered to take part in a similar type of Documentary before he left for sunnier climes but declined the offer

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

that is funny snap.well done

Report snap crackle and pop April 4, 2013 12:55 AM BST
What's funny about it?
Report never give up April 4, 2013 12:57 AM BST
why would "he" decline the offer ?
Report snap crackle and pop April 4, 2013 1:01 AM BST
Camera shy
Report never give up April 4, 2013 1:04 AM BST
ok Laugh
Report Kerrygold April 4, 2013 7:36 AM BST
champs lg final with spoils they would take a million or 2 no problem
Report kavvie April 4, 2013 9:00 AM BST
actually boyles have cleaned up their act lately and have overtaken pp in every way.easy enough get a lumpy bet with them now.
Report Roger De Bris April 4, 2013 9:57 PM BST
e50 each way on a 9/2 in a 14 runner handicap at Dundalk had the cashier asking the manager "will we ring head office" in Boyles last week...
Report suitangi April 5, 2013 2:36 PM BST
Slightly posher version of this gentleman!!.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3I-F5ctHfA
Report richters April 5, 2013 10:45 PM BST
just seen this documentary....its a spoof.....is that scumfingers starring in it with fantasy island bets.......
Report Eddie Batt April 6, 2013 12:10 AM BST
His main mistake was presuming his poker ability would transfer to sports betting.Not a very likeable person.
Report Rocketfingers April 6, 2013 12:21 AM BST
What were soe of his sports bets Eddie?
Report Eddie Batt April 6, 2013 12:46 AM BST
?
Report Rocketfingers April 6, 2013 1:18 AM BST
Do you remember what his bets were Eddie?
Report Gone! April 6, 2013 1:23 AM BST
Just watched on Skyplus (slightly intoxicated) and found in enjoyable.
For the record i've never met the guy but anyone who gets to that level at that age deserves some respect.
The training without the shirt on was unnecessary but maybe the filmmaker was trying to suggest that these guys are like athletes or something but i found it cringeworthy.
He clearly used his relationship with **** to stage the bet placements, as any shop worker who was confronted with a film crew and those size of bets would surely freak out. Having said that, anyone who believes that a bookie wouldn't accept bets of that size in games of that nature are simply delusional.
I wish he had of done more of a post mortem on the champions league/heineken cup final bets as surely he can't believe he had a 10% edge on those games.
I enjoyed the line 'chasing money that he never should have had in the first place'.
I agree with his Dad that more than 3% of gamblers are problem gamblers.
Overall for me it proves how hard it is to live the 'supposed dream' but it won't stop me trying
Report kincsem April 6, 2013 2:55 AM BST
Hendon Mob list of his results
http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=77323

I've played poker against him, but only in a €350 buy-in tournament.
Anyone who plays poker would recognise the guys in the Las Vegas house.
Report paddletoe April 6, 2013 11:57 AM BST
Opened my first boyles online account less than a month ago. Tried to have £500 on a division one gaelic match this week. It was refused or rather restricted to a maximum allowed of £30.
Next day a total resstriction was placed on my account. I could not do a bet at any stakes.
Report paddletoe April 6, 2013 12:06 PM BST
I do believe a bookmaker would take 10 grand and more on a champion leagues final. The price for that event would be pretty much established so there was no edge for the punter no matter who they back. For these big events where the bookmaker has as much information as the punter the betting market will be equivalent to the bookmaker going 10/11 on the toss of a coin.

Different story altogether in a market where the punter might be better informed than the bookie.
Report Rocketfingers April 6, 2013 12:08 PM BST
Joke that is Paddletoe absolute joke.
Report paddletoe April 6, 2013 12:47 PM BST
The message i received was that i was unable to do any bets due to "risk control".

Its always interesting when you use the same online bookmaker for a small period of time to find out what markets they are strong on and which they are weak on especially in running and what is their comfort level with losing money.
Report Gone! April 12, 2013 8:49 PM BST
On the late late tonight apparently
Report kavvie April 12, 2013 9:38 PM BST
the poker player or john boyle!?!?
Report Roger De Bris April 12, 2013 11:09 PM BST
why the hell wasn't he laying Bayern off on Betfair????
Report kavvie April 12, 2013 11:21 PM BST
as a gambler for a long time i think hes a fraud..he won 180000 one night but still only made 100000 that year?..some of the figs just dont add up.
Report Mordin. April 12, 2013 11:28 PM BST
He was making money on Poker for a while, why did he start backing heavy on horses, football etc on other peoples tips. Also his big bet on Leitrim to beat Fermanagh when half Fermanagh team walked out. I presume he meant London as Fermanagh played them after the Ulster championship defeat by Derry. This fella is a not a professional gambler. Doesnt have the discipline.
Report big_dunc April 12, 2013 11:55 PM BST
I have a few friends who play poker and I don't doubt that he did well out of that for a while. I remember reading his **** blog where he said he had 10s of thousands on the best line available on a Super Rugby handicap. I knew he was full of sh!t after that.
Report mitch leary April 13, 2013 8:47 AM BST
got off to a lucky start.
no discipline.
typical mug punter afterwards.
lost it all back and probably more.
probably plenty of stories like this out there.
theres a generation of young gamblers out there now who think they can make it pay. if they kept records of their bets they might cop on a bit. gambling has become very acceptable.
i dont really go into betting shops that much anymore. i preferred when they were smoky dingy holes and there were a few more characters around. There used to be a bit of an aura about a bookies shop. not anymore.
Report workrider April 13, 2013 9:09 AM BST
Gosh mitch , you have me pining for the old days now.....
Report G Hall April 13, 2013 10:04 AM BST
Good friend of mine knows him well,nice guy apparently and bets are true but as mitch said no discipline...a key point here is that during the boom winning money at poker was easy if you had any clue about how to play,them days are over and these guys are struggling.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle April 13, 2013 11:10 AM BST
I don't doubt his figures to be honest. Just seems very undiscplined but arent we all!
Report big_dunc April 13, 2013 1:24 PM BST
A friend of mine knows him quite well too, but the rugby bets aren't true. I don't care how much money he was losing overall, no firm will take the other side of those bets blind, in such size. The markets aren't liquid enough that the bets can be hedged and he only needs to go on a 2-3 week winning run for the department's annual budget to be wiped out.
Report mitch leary April 13, 2013 2:19 PM BST
for some reason people went mad playing poker when it became popular during the boom.
in a hotel close to me 200 people showed up first night they had a texas holdem tournament. took over an hour to sign up.
a friend of my brothers lost his bollix in one night depositing money into powers playing poker. he emailed them to ban himself from losing any more money.
Report Cupwinkcook April 14, 2013 12:19 AM BST
I don't play cards myself as I don't have the temperament, I couldn't hold out with a decent hand against a bluffer for example.
But the father-in-law was a very good player in his time so I'd have some insight into it.

The people who lost money in the boom were on an ego trip, everyone thought they could be the big shot and weren't long going home with their tail between their legs.
It was no different on here, I remember around 2008 laying horses at 1.2 on place markets for 5000 and 10000 in the morning that finished up at 1.3 sp which couldn't have been bookie hedges. Nicky Richards novice race favs - a classic example. Those punters simply ran out of money when 3+ out of 10 of the horses were beaten.
Report joe9000 April 15, 2013 8:01 PM BST
http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-truth-what-are-the-odds-on-that-2919... - O'Shea gets a bit mugged off in this. "I felt that for a professional, his sports betting was a bit... well ... amateurish" lol.
Report Rocketfingers April 15, 2013 8:37 PM BST
Who wrote that? Seems like a bit of a rant tbf Joe, he does not come across as having an encyclopedic knowledge of betting either although i think his hunch is probably right.

Btw it's on again tonight have not seen it myself so hope to watch it later.
Report Roger De Bris April 15, 2013 8:58 PM BST
If you are up 1.5 million, do you not usually have a Betfair account???
Report Rocketfingers April 15, 2013 9:13 PM BST
You are kidding me he did not have a BF account Roger?
Report joe9000 April 15, 2013 9:28 PM BST
Declan lynch wrote that piece in the Indo i believe. I was sceptical bout this show wen the trailer went around, then having seen it i was almost certainly convinced that O'Shea was at the very least exaggerating the sports betting side of things. So much of it just didn't add up for me and still doesn't. Just all strikes me that now he has gone broke he's tryna put himself in the public eye to gain a bit of a z list celeb status to earn a few quid and in order to do that he needed a bit of a story behind him.
Report Toto82 April 15, 2013 10:15 PM BST
Does anyone else notice how less liquid the Gaa markets in play have become on here the last few years?
Also the Munster - Leinster market the other night was fairly quiet.
John is right when he said its not as easy to be a pro gambler as it used to be.
Report Toto82 April 15, 2013 10:17 PM BST
Roger De Bris • April 12, 2013 11:09 PM BST
why the hell wasn't he laying Bayern off on Betfair????

At what point do you lay off?

If Chelsea had equalised after an hour, would you ask the same question?

Sounds like his trip to Vegas was the end of him, losing 50k on that one match wasnt much relatively speaking.
Report Rainier Wolfcastle April 15, 2013 10:46 PM BST
Two big teams does not mean a bit betting market. The Munster v Leinster match gets no coverage in the UK or anywhere else in the world for that matter. Have a look at the average match on Sky and there is generally a pittance matched. If there is no live sport on, maybe then the markets will liven up. The 6N is the only tournament to attract any meaningful level of cash. Rugby has never been a big betting sport here or anywhere else, which goes to show that he was at the very least exaggerating his bets.
Report Rocketfingers April 15, 2013 11:12 PM BST
Just watched and i have to say could sympathise went some of the bad days he had although not for anything near similar money of course. I'd say he's a better fella than he came across in the Late late. Overall Joe could be right the sports betting does not add up but he seems a good poker player and added to that his online poker activity nearly felt like he was simply praying on weaker people which i i would say fair play to him but these people eventually go away for one reason or another and where do you get your money from? He also seemed to be betting on people's tips !
Report kingrat April 15, 2013 11:23 PM BST
i beleive him.hes like a lot of talented poker players.his ego was his downfall but he will learn from it!
Report Roger De Bris April 15, 2013 11:29 PM BST
You have e50,000 on Bayern to beat Chelsea, and you have no Betfair Account open?

At what point do you lay off?

Try the 83rd minute when Bayern take the lead, like everybody else who backed Bayern and layed off (me included)......
Report kingrat April 15, 2013 11:33 PM BST
were u in the big time roger?
Report kingrat April 15, 2013 11:33 PM BST
Laugh
Report wildmanfromborneo April 15, 2013 11:35 PM BST
Why would you lay off,you back something because you think they will win.

This mania of " greening up " is the antithesis of gambling as its main function is too remove the risk which should be the purpose of the gamble in the first place.
Report Rocketfingers April 15, 2013 11:41 PM BST
I have to agree with Wildman here, greening out, trading out, locking in profit the vast majority of the time you're throwing away value. As a rule i never green out/trade out etc etc unless i think the other side of the bet becomes value then you can start thinking about it.
Report kingrat April 15, 2013 11:46 PM BST
roger is a different mentality,he dosent get it.hes another mug punter related to tony and workrider!ShockedLaugh
Report Rocketfingers April 16, 2013 12:01 AM BST
It unnerves me when the Wildman and me share the same opinion on something.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 16, 2013 12:06 AM BST
Unnerves me too,next thing you will be telling me your against giving compensation to half the country.
Report Rocketfingers April 16, 2013 12:09 AM BST
If half the country qualify then they should get.
Report Roger De Bris April 16, 2013 12:10 AM BST
mug punter....I cleared well over 6 figures last year rat, and I'm still in the game, unlike the bloke the documentary is about.
And I don't need anyone ringing me to tell me what to bet, I am the originator of all my gambles.
Report wildmanfromborneo April 16, 2013 12:10 AM BST
Normal service has been resumed.
Report Rocketfingers April 16, 2013 12:17 AM BST
Wildman you are a former builder, who probably made his money and has now retired from the game and got out with some nice dinero too. You doing a bit of farming to keep you busy when you are not on here  annoying people and most days go racing before stopping for a nice meal out on the way home, which you look forward to. You're probably an ok kinda fella and when you are drunk you pretend to be a woman. It's amazing what you can tell from people on here.
Report Roger De Bris April 16, 2013 12:17 AM BST
and to answer your question "was i in the big time?"
I am in the "BIG TIME" as you call it....
Report kavvie April 16, 2013 12:21 AM BST
any chance of a tutorial roger?!
Report Rocketfingers April 16, 2013 12:21 AM BST
what price did you take Roger if you don't mind me asking?
Report wildmanfromborneo April 16, 2013 12:21 AM BST
Never a builder and never wealthy either

The last bit is worrying as the man you call Batman will be driven mad.
Report Roger De Bris April 16, 2013 12:25 AM BST
Couldnt even remember the exact price, all i know is I had a good few grand on Bayern, and i locked in a nice few grand when they scored. The reason I always lock in profit is anything can happen in soccer, and it's not my expert field, same as yer man O'Shea.
I done 16k on Sunderland the weekend, no locking in there unfortunately...
Report Rocketfingers April 16, 2013 12:26 AM BST
You bet Newcastle?
Report Roger De Bris April 16, 2013 12:29 AM BST
no, I laid Sunderland, wasn't happy with the bet after 10 minutes, was surprised how well Sunderland were playing.
Got 13k back on the goals market, no real damage done.
Report kingrat April 16, 2013 12:29 AM BST
fwiw roger the guy is a1.
Report Roger De Bris April 16, 2013 12:34 AM BST
he's no different to us all, making our way through life and enjoying the ride.
Was just surprised he wasn't using Betfair as an outlet.
I'm sure he'll be back on the bridle soon enough.
Report Blackwater April 16, 2013 12:49 AM BST
Saw the programme tonight on Setanta and enjoyed it a lot.

The highs and lows felt authentic and we can probably all relate on some level to what was going on.

Some of his comments wouldn't stand up to a lot of scrutiny. I doubt if anyone clears 10% betting on sport. And his approach to staking was beyond reckless.

But, hey, who amongst us can throw the first stone?

Regarding the trip to Vegas, it's worth pointing out that it's almost impossible to make money in the long-run playing tournament poker. The rake on those things is up to 10%. Add in the cost of travel, accommodation, hookers etc, and the players are down 20-30% of their bankroll before a card is dealt. Factor in the top-heavy payout structures that magnify the randomness of the whole thing, and while a few chancers get lucky every year, it is strictly a mugs' game.

The guy himself is clearly pretty sharp and I hope things work out for him, with or without the gambling.
Report kincsem April 16, 2013 7:24 AM BST
^ which is why many players now sell about 50% of their action (entry fee) to investors / punters at a mark-up of about 25% to "cover their edge over the field".  It seems every poker player is about 25% better than every other poker player.
Report Ozymandius April 16, 2013 8:02 AM BST
This mania of " greening up " is the antithesis of gambling as its main function is too remove the risk which should be the purpose of the gamble in the first place.

Shirley the main purpose of any gamble is to turn a profit?
Report jimeen April 16, 2013 10:06 AM BST
Watched the programme last evening and in my opinion this fellow done himself no favours whatsoever. Now i dont know him or the sky over him,but he came across as a bit of a bawlix to me anyway. I can see how most ordinary people dislike gamblers looking at this programme. He came across as more than a bit arrogant,and also a person with both a big ego and also a superiority complex. The bit about dressing up as a gangster showed him in a poor enough light. It was cringeworthy stuff,even his poor mother seemed mortified. In this day and age the last thing the ordinary joe soap wants to hear is tales of somebody gambling tens of thousands on a sporting event,and with a third level degree and supposedly assets from the glory years,its not as if this character was on the side of the road. It was a much ado about nothing story if you ask me,i could name a dozen people who would have proper gambling stories to tell,but they just wouldnt bother.
The one thing though that puzzles me is that people doubting whether he in fact had these bets on the Champions League and the Heineken Cup final. I think he said he had 50k on both events,and people are saying he couldnt get that money on. Id imagine as long as you had the money you could(assuming the prices were there) have a million pounds on those events if you wanted to. The one thing i would have said about the fellow is that he wasnt lying about his bets,its just i wouldnt have bothered telling the people of Ireland about the magnitude of them.
Report reb April 16, 2013 10:39 AM BST
Blackwater

16 Apr 13 00:49

Regarding the trip to Vegas, it's worth pointing out that it's almost impossible to make money in the long-run playing tournament poker. The rake on those things is up to 10%. Add in the cost of travel, accommodation, hookers etc,

I hope you listened to the ex-hooker telling her story after the appearance of John O' Shea. If you didn't, perhaps you should. She has written a book on the subject.
Report big_dunc April 16, 2013 2:19 PM BST
50k on a Heineken Cup final = no problem, but c.50k on a regular season Super 15 handicap, and taking the best line which may have been available with only one or two firms = bawlix. He regularly stated on his B0yle blog that he had 10s of thousands on Super Rugby matches at the time, which is absurd. It's equivalent to laying the same bet on the Champion Hurdle in Punchestown vs a Maiden Hurdle in Kilbeggan.
Report lustrumm April 16, 2013 8:11 PM BST
Looked to me like he still has the "Head is shot" look going on and I imagine he will look back at the Golden Opportunity he had to set himself up for life with regret in years to come. I know I do and my figures would be just about 1/2 of his but thankfully I didn't tell the world and his mother about it like this fellow did.
I don't want to crab him as he is young but if he existed in the Racing Community someone would have had a quite word in his ear and told him to keep his business to himself. I fancy him to be a down and out in 10 years time to be honest
Report Toto82 April 16, 2013 8:20 PM BST
Apologies Roger, I didnt see the CL final, and had forgotten when Bayern had scored, but my point still stands, I would not be rushing to lay off whenever a bet starts going my way.
Report jimeen April 17, 2013 1:56 PM BST
Having watched the documentary on Setanta,i have now formed a different opinion about this fellow. No doubt the piece on the Late Late showed him in an unfavourable light,but this documentary which was a hell of a lot longer was alot more favourable. Came across as not a bad fellow at all in fairness to him. Hes no dud either and i wouldnt be too worried about him long term,there is every chance he will be successful again at whatever he chooses to do. I was wondering about how he seemed to bet on lots of different sports,but he openly admits that he was only being guided by known winners which is a very understandable approach. I am always wary of people who seem to be experts on all sports/events,because it simply isnt possible to be an expert in more than 1 or 2(usually 1) areas. All in all i'd have to say that i was too judgemental on the guy and i could see him being back in the big time in next to no time.
Report Biffo2010 November 3, 2018 10:16 PM GMT
http://www.arthurcox.com/publications/rolling-the-dice-on-the-enforcement-of-foreign-gambling-debts/?fbclid=IwAR0E3sM4QkznGtddVrKperbNAQO-lvvnsvopihdLLiAcLhx8b5t5-7RO63M

Came across this today about this fella. Know very little about spreadbetting but can someone tell me how u can run up a debt of 118k! Do u not need to have funds in ur account
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com