Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
lapsy pa
24 Sep 12 12:13
| Topic/replies: 5,523 | Blogger: lapsy pa's blog
Almost time to get the bud,s and burgers in,start practicing your USA USA USA or You da Man/In de Ole chants in anticipation of one of the best 4/5(1.83) chances in my opinion for a good while. Why you might ask?
Home advantage and crowd support.
Davis Love 111 tailoring the course to suit the Americans by having minimum rough and fast greens.
Length of course(7658 yds) to suit the big hitting Americans.
Current form,Hard to knock the Americans with maybe the exception of Keegan Bradley.The Europeans must be concerned with Westwoods dire tour champ.Colsearts while length will suit is a rookie,Donald and Molinari might struggle with length of course.
Can only see this going one way,no doubt as per usual will be an exciting spectacle.
Pause Switch to Standard View Ryder Cup 2012
Show More
Report lapsy pa September 29, 2012 3:51 PM BST
Big shift to the Europeans
Report lapsy pa September 29, 2012 5:40 PM BST
Colsearts/Lawrie v D johnson/Kuchar
Rose/Molinari v Watson/Simpson
Garcia/Donald v Woods/Stricker
Mcilroy/Poulter v Dufner/Z. Johnson.
Report lapsy pa September 29, 2012 5:41 PM BST
Colsearts/Lawrie v D johnson/Kuchar
Rose/Molinari v Watson/Simpson
Garcia/Donald v Woods/Stricker
Mcilroy/Poulter v Dufner/Z. Johnson.
Report Vubiant September 29, 2012 6:15 PM BST
McDowell a total liability .
Furyk from 153 yds in the bunker finds the green - McDowell from 131 yds in the  fairway finds the rough .  Says it all. Plain
Report lapsy pa September 29, 2012 6:22 PM BST
Poor performance in the end,had chance halfway through in the format that should have suited them better.
Win for Poulter and a loss from Rose this evening will see Poulter at worst sharing top European points scorer even before tomorrows singles.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 29, 2012 8:34 PM BST
You would think that if Americans get hot tomorrow and depending if they win tonights session, it could be 10 point win
Report Ozymandius September 29, 2012 9:01 PM BST
Olly has a plan for tomorrow.

It involves a ouja board and channeling the spirit of the Great Seve to propose an order for the singles. Jiminez in a cunning disguise of a white sheet draped over his head will shimmer past the team room window in ghost like fashion chanting 'Ole ole, ole'.
Report punchestown September 29, 2012 10:00 PM BST
Putting is awful for the Europeans,like they never played on a quick surface before and the glaring difference between the teams.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 29, 2012 11:03 PM BST
Monty is doing my head in.

Europe have been shown up for what they are. He thinks Europe can win 8 or 9 points tomorrow!Laugh "WHY NOT"
Report db1974 September 30, 2012 12:42 AM BST
Ian Poulter - 5 birdies in the last 5 holes and a monster pressure putt at the last. Great golf.
Report Bassanio September 30, 2012 12:44 AM BST
Poulter is just an incredible pressure player.
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2012 12:46 AM BST
Wow....what a performance from Poulter.  Incredible.
Report Kelly September 30, 2012 1:12 AM BST
Poulter was brilliant over last series of holes , but Rory played a lot of the golf up to that , plus kept the ball in play to support Poulter .  And also Rory's driving must have put the Americans under pressure .

Think the Americans have too much strength in depth at home to lose , but could be interesting for the first couple of hours if we get a good start .

Gmac tail end charlie I think  , Rory to lead off .
Report Dan Chipowski September 30, 2012 2:35 AM BST
1) Bubba v Luke 2) Simpson v Poulter 3) Bradley v Rory 4) Mickelson v Rose 5) Snedeker v Lawrie 6) D Johnson v Colsaerts 7) Zach J v McDowell 8) Furyk v Garcia 9) Dufner v Hanson 10) Kuchar v Westwood 11) Stricker v Kaymer 12) Woods v Molinari

Some interesting early match ups, reckon it'll be well and truly done with before we reach the lower order though.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 30, 2012 9:52 AM BST
The last four players out are pointless so may walk in when the contest is officially over,I am not sure of the rule but hope they must play out theor matches,anyone know the actual rule.
If they are allowed walk in then there is great value in backing the tie in the last few matches.
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 10:30 AM BST
The rule certainly at Celtic Manor that they had to finish,presume here too Wildman.Books won,t price up a draw in later matches in ones before that for the reason you said.
Poulter was stunning last night,for all his so called egotism he has proved the best team player on Europes side.When Mcilroy was asked about how he felt about playing with Poulter his reply should have been "privileged".Very fancied on the thread for top euro hope he gets his 1/2 point for ye.
Snedeker,Kuchar,and Dufner look the pick of the singles to me.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 30, 2012 10:38 AM BST
Would have my life on Kuchar to beat Westwood but am afraid there maybe early handshakes and ties conceded,he is out fourth last.
Poulter was sensational yesterday,incredible putting,I have him laid blind at evens but am not dead yet as Simpson is playing well,I was hoping n
He would draw Bubba Watson as he is liable to do anything.
I seem to remember Sandy Lyle asking not to be picked because of his poor form some years back,Kaymer probably should have done the same.
Report moneypenny September 30, 2012 10:54 AM BST
The books wised up to the draws on the last day of this about 20 years ago wildman.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 30, 2012 11:02 AM BST
The books may have but Betfair haven't,the ties are competitively priced here.
Do you know the ruling Moneypenny,it would help a lot if you could throw some light on it rather than try to score points.
Report moneypenny September 30, 2012 11:07 AM BST
As far as I know they play out all the matches these days. The last time they didnt complete matches the score on the course at time counted as guys conceded defeat  than agreeing ties. You are right of course that if ties were agreed betfair rules would mean the tie is the result,
Report moneypenny September 30, 2012 11:14 AM BST
2008 at valhalla and 2006 at the K club the result was known pretty early and they played out all the games
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 11:37 AM BST
Can,t get Betfair to accept more than 3 selections on their multiples Wildman(wifes bet,she is getting odd over it) so maybe academic.
Think it was over a Presidents cup match all that fuss started over the draws.
Report irishro September 30, 2012 12:11 PM BST
Games will be played out til the end. If anything the later draws will be a lay as players will want to get off the course ASAP. Dufner looks the standout bet today. Been excellent all week.
Report Santry September 30, 2012 12:46 PM BST
Two for me today
1. Zach Johnson to beat McDowell. Johnson has been steady all week and McDowell is really struggling on the greens.
2. Kuchar to beat Westwood. Any of the American players would beat Westwood .His game is dire this week.
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2012 1:10 PM BST
Duffner, Zach and Kuchar for me.  Considering Snedeker also.
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 1:17 PM BST
Going to add Bubba as well,2.38 looks big,if he hits it any way straight should be 50 yards ahead of Donald who been very average.
Report Ozymandius September 30, 2012 1:23 PM BST
Agreed.
Report BJG September 30, 2012 1:26 PM BST
Kuchar, Zach, Snedeker backed

gl Cool
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 1:31 PM BST
Single picks seem fairly unanimous,GL Grin
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 30, 2012 1:44 PM BST
Poulter is different class at matchplay, hopefully he at least picks up the half for top european and we can dream that Keegan and Phil get beat and he wins top points scorer combined
Report workrider September 30, 2012 2:32 PM BST
only back lads saw nothing over the past couple of days ...looks as if we're getting stuffed ....
Report bobbybocala September 30, 2012 2:36 PM BST
you mean they let ya out after yer sunday lunch.......and ya couldnt wait to log on......
Report workrider September 30, 2012 3:05 PM BST
take your bib and wipe your mouth ....you horrible little man.....
Report punchestown September 30, 2012 6:20 PM BST
Is the worm about to turn?
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 6:52 PM BST
Yikes if it continues like this I may have to take safety and lay out stake
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 6:53 PM BST
Poulter might go all square shortly leaving US ahead in 1 of first 7, a wobble alright.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 6:54 PM BST
Who would have thought it may come down to Tiger and Stricker!
Report Rocketfingers September 30, 2012 7:08 PM BST
Getting exciting now !
Report dj876 September 30, 2012 7:13 PM BST
Weak Tail and only up by more than 1 in 2 games,think it will be comfortable for USA
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 7:15 PM BST
Donald is on fire, Bubba has ran out of steam!
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 7:17 PM BST
Yh agree DJ,

Kaymer
Westwood
Mcdowell

are all very beatable.
Report moneypenny September 30, 2012 9:12 PM BST
poulter top european in the bag Grin
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 30, 2012 9:13 PM BST
Just hit the fairway now Poulter, if Rose can peg back Phil we might get top scorer on his own too
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 9:14 PM BST
LaughYanks making hard work of this
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 30, 2012 9:26 PM BST
Get in there Poulter you beauty, Ryder Cup Legend!! Grin
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 9:30 PM BST
Looks like is may go come down to the worst players of the week bar Kuch

Westwood
Kaymer
Molinari

Woods
Stricker
Kuchar
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 9:37 PM BST
Good man Furyk,This is desperate stuff for yank backers.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 30, 2012 9:42 PM BST
Poulter top overall point scorer Grin
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 9:43 PM BST
The pressure will increase on all 3 above especially Tiger.

Love masterstroke to put him last!
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 9:46 PM BST
Lol this is carnage by the Yanks....
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 9:48 PM BST
Kaymer combusts right on cue!
Report reb September 30, 2012 9:51 PM BST
Kicking myself (lightly) that I didn't take the well-reasoned and well-written tip on Poulter from db1974 and Distant View. Thought about it but know nothing about golf. Then again, I know nothing about club football in Laois but that didn't stop me on that occasion ! Well done lads.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 9:53 PM BST
That is shameful by McDowell not even ****g close.....he has been woeful!
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 9:56 PM BST
Great write ups reb and deplasterer fancied him as well.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 10:02 PM BST
Supposedly Hansen had a fallen out with Olly for him not playing but after that mess he made on 15 there against Dufner, no bottle!!!!!!!
Report reb September 30, 2012 10:03 PM BST
Yes lapsy, but he didn't articulate his reasons like D.V. and db. One line tips are 20-a-penny on here and, usually, best ignored.
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 10:04 PM BST
This is easily the best Ryder Cup i can remember. One of the Top 5 Sporting events in the World!
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 10:16 PM BST
Davis Love sticking wood on the Anchor lead I say again is a golfing masterstroke!
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 10:32 PM BST
Unbelievable furyk and mickleson 1 ahead and 2 to playCry
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 10:33 PM BST
Wow pressure on Yanks now, I layed out everything now and will make nothing, my heart can take this!
Report workrider September 30, 2012 10:40 PM BST
Laugh
Report punchestown September 30, 2012 10:50 PM BST
Over 2.5 Million matched on USA between 1.13 & 1.14,they must be sweating it big time..
Report workrider September 30, 2012 10:51 PM BST
epic battle...
Report BJG September 30, 2012 10:54 PM BST
Great viewin Grin
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 10:55 PM BST
Steve Stricker has been shameful.

If America lose this, I just, its just, what the FOOK JUST HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!
Report workrider September 30, 2012 10:56 PM BST
not if you're ruby , bjg.....Laugh
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 10:57 PM BST
Ah great viewing, all out lost nothing made 1 euro if USA win.

I feel for the millions tho, i really do.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!
Report workrider September 30, 2012 11:00 PM BST
ruby ,   sport is , truly unpredictable......
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 11:02 PM BST
CryCryCry

**** you telling me Workrider, I be a Millionaire if everything goes to plan. Mind you this is much better than losing on a 4 legged creature!
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 11:05 PM BST
Steve Stricker single handedly has lost this for the States. Woeful stuff
Report workrider September 30, 2012 11:07 PM BST
no matter what happens , the europeans have now blown the myth that they arn't good enough as individuals ....
Report rubyisgodinthesaddle September 30, 2012 11:16 PM BST
Biggest choke in Sports History IMO.....

INCREDIBLE CHOKE......WOW!

SEVE U ARE THE EXTRA ONE
Report workrider September 30, 2012 11:17 PM BST
hope tiger gets the hammer now....Laugh
Report punchestown September 30, 2012 11:18 PM BST
No more USA USA?
Report db1974 September 30, 2012 11:24 PM BST
E-U-R
E-U-R
E-U-R
Report bobbybocala September 30, 2012 11:25 PM BST
wonder does the girl pretending to be mcdowells girlfriend get much for being there for the weekend.....
Report workrider September 30, 2012 11:25 PM BST
no more tiger either....Laugh
Report workrider September 30, 2012 11:26 PM BST
poor booby he's so demented he cant even enjoy this....Cry
Report workrider September 30, 2012 11:27 PM BST
poor booby he's so demented he cant even enjoy this....Cry
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y September 30, 2012 11:29 PM BST
p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y 28 Sep 12 10:38 
I've had a good bet on Europe @ 2.84 after the first pairings where announced last night.

I think Europe win the first game with Rory and Gmac, really fancy Sergio and Luke in the 2nd game (imagine having to play foursomes with Phil), the 3rd game is close but Lee and Francesco tee to green are absolutely brilliant so hope they are on a good day with the putter and the last game should be a cracker and both Poulter and Rose have very good Ryder Cup records and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them turn over Stricker and Woods.

I think Europe probably have the 2 best match players in the World in Poulter and Donald, they have the best player in the world in McIlroy, Rose played well last week and has a good Ryder Cup record, Sergio has a good racord too, Westwood has 19pts from a possible 33, Lawrie contrary to peoples beliefs won 2 1/2pts at Brookline in America, McDowell has won 5pts from 8, Kaymer is out of form but made a World Matchplay final (lost to Donald) and has won 2 1/2pts out of 4. Molinari and Hanson have losing records but Hanson has come on finishing high up in numerous majors and Molinari is usually solid tee to green and just needs ther putter to get hot. Colsaerts is the only rookie but if used right could be a big weapon in the fourballs where his big hitting and birdie making could prove very effective.

As for the comments Poulter is due a bad Ryder Cup, you could well be right and he may have a bad Ryder Cup but there is no logic behind that thought (Liverpool are due a league title, ain't going to happen though). I would argue with Poulters recent record he is the value to be top European points scorer and overall top points scorer, he should be nearer to the top of the betting. Another who i think is value for the same 2 bets is Luke Donald, he is a great match player, is basically playing at home and i can see him racking up the points for Europe.

My Bets

Europe 5pts @ 2.84
Luke Donald top points scorer 0.75pts @ 14/1
Luke Donald top European points scorer 0.75pts @ 13/2
Ian Poulter top points scorer 0.75pts @ 18/1
Ian Poulter top European points scorer 0.75pts @ 8/1

A most pleasing day Cool
Report elvissss September 30, 2012 11:34 PM BST
WD - Enjoy the winnings
Report bobbybocala September 30, 2012 11:37 PM BST
Well done premier......terrific tournament.....even the 4 people that actually live in Europe played their part .....bar Hanson that is..... The twenty people from America contributed magnificently too...... Was mcdowells girlfriend European or a yank I wonder.....
Report wildmanfromborneo September 30, 2012 11:38 PM BST
Well done Premier and all Europe backers,I am shellshocked especially after the last match,I backed Molinari to get no points,I laid Europe so the tie was alright for me,Woods missing that short one and then conceding Molinaris putt enough to turn one into a racist.
Got Poulter wrong too,what a performance and fair play to the always excellent Distant View and db1974 who landed their decent priced bets,I am still shaking my head here.
Report snap crackle and pop September 30, 2012 11:45 PM BST
snap crackle and pop 24 Sep 12 19:50
I would just like to state that golf and golf betting would not really be my forte (cricket being my main interest) but am I missing something here or are Europe not bet of the century at 8/5!!??

Does having home advantage, fast greens and light rough reeeeaaalllly make USA a good bet at 4/6?

NOT IN MY BOOK IT DOESN'T!!

BET OF THE CENTURY LANDED!!!!!! BOOOOOOOMMMM!!!
Report db1974 September 30, 2012 11:46 PM BST
bobby are you Irish? If you lived and worked in America would you still consider yourself Irish? Do you think all the Irish soccer player living in England are not Irish?
Report bobbybocala September 30, 2012 11:48 PM BST
A sickening blow wildman..... I genuinely feel for u here.... All joking aside and all that ..... That dirty yoke woods threw away the chance of the draw on purpose.....when he couldn't win the thing himself .....he decided to miss and give molinari the half......with the constant spitting and storming off afterwards..... His behaviour was awful....woods overall play was rubbish too.....one of a few who shamed themselves.....stricker Hanson McDowell were the biggest culprits.....
Report wildmanfromborneo September 30, 2012 11:49 PM BST
Well done you too,Snap Crackle.
Did Magic md have a quiet word with Tiger,misses a tiddler and then concedes a putt to a clearly petrified Molinari.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 30, 2012 11:49 PM BST
Well done you too,Snap Crackle.
Did Magic md have a quiet word with Tiger,misses a tiddler and then concedes a putt to a clearly petrified Molinari.
Report snap crackle and pop September 30, 2012 11:53 PM BST
Yes he must have wildman. Knew he was looking dangerous when I spotted him in the crowd at the 18th tee box!!
Report lapsy pa September 30, 2012 11:54 PM BST
Good write up there Prem a lot of it came to fruition,Well done to you,had a good bet for me on the US and greed on my part not laying off at 1.1,have to applaud such a great fightback by the Europeans.
Report db1974 September 30, 2012 11:55 PM BST
Woods cost the betting industry about STG£10m there, according to early estimates on Twitter
Report bobbybocala September 30, 2012 11:56 PM BST
Db1974..... Half the Irish soccer team is English ......
Report wildmanfromborneo October 1, 2012 12:02 AM BST
I watched Poulter finish off with five incredible birdies yesterday never dreaming it would cost me.
When looking at the betting this morning the only thing going through my mind was the prospect of ties in the last two matches because the match would be over and they might shake hands,I was going to punt the tie in the Woods game at 6.6 but left it alone,it will take me a while to get over that last green and Tiger Woods.
Report db1974 October 1, 2012 12:24 AM BST
Which half Bobby?
Report Kelly October 1, 2012 12:31 AM BST
The last few matches in Ryder Cups often prove trappy .  Remember Seve rushing onto the green when Monty was about to beat his opponent in Spain , and forced Monty to concede a half which lokked extremely unlikely given the guy was about 20 feet away from the hole .  Learnt a lesson that day I did , variable activity at the end of Ryder Cup when result is pre determined .
Report Giant Strides October 1, 2012 6:49 AM BST
So proud to be a European like the rest of us this morning. Mischief
Report Deplasterer October 1, 2012 8:52 AM BST
That was exciting. Comeback of all comebacks there. Poulter is something else in these types of formats, never had his head in front till the 17th yesterday and like the majority of the european team played the last 3 or 4 holes brilliantly.
Report punchestown October 1, 2012 9:57 AM BST
One of the biggest chokes of all time in any sport by the USA USA USA Team Cool
Report Kelly October 1, 2012 12:02 PM BST
Agreed punchestown .  For a team that couldnt miss on Friday and Saturday they missed a bagful on Sunday .  Hard to nominate more than a couple of their players who played to their potential on Sunday , with all the advantages of a big lead and course set up to perfection .  Just not as tough as our lads at the end of the day , but I have been seeing that and commenting on it all season , the non USA players floating to the top on the last day in a lot of tournaments .

So seen on 1, 3 , 4 , 5 world rankings non USA , Tiger the only one in top 5 at 2 .
Report Ozymandius October 1, 2012 1:13 PM BST
Was that the greatest sporting contest of all time?  Most enjoyable I have watched I think.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com