Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Stamford Bridge
20 Sep 12 01:47
| Topic/replies: 186 | Blogger: Stamford Bridge's blog
Great days racing Wednesday results favoured the Punter in the key betting races and I'd imagine Joe Public backed the bumper winner to edge the battle with bookmakers on a great afternoon of national hunt racing ! The figure for the ring was down again  €1,074,200 as compared to €1,230,654 a year ago !
Thursday isn't as good in terms of quality but a few very weak races offer us scope to punt a winner!
2.05 Helena Sheahan Memorial Maiden of €14,000.00 3/4-y-o
1m. 1st - €9,660.00, 2nd - €2,380.00, 3rd - €1,120.00, 4th - €700.00 8 Declared
Heavy (Flat), Heavy, Soft In Heavy In Places (Nh Crse)

The battle between Joseph O'Brien and Pat Smullen continues here with Weld and O'Brien running two of their lesser lights in a very poor quality mile maiden ! In a nutshell it's a dead match ! EXACT is blinkered for the first time , he  ran well to 3 furlongs out in a good Navan Maiden that has produced plenty of winners,that was way back in April. I noted he ran with his tongue out and got very tired and Seamie Heffernan eased him quickly,he was only 10 lengths off his stable mate FATHER OF SCIENCE who went on to land a punt in a Chester maiden ! We didn't see EXACT again until Galway where sporting Cheekpieces he led til easily passed by TANDEM before the turn in. He was done for second late and it must be said he looks a big lazy ungainly sort but he has some sort of ability in the context of this race as he was at least able to go with TANDEM initialy when they quickened up ! The blinkers might help more than the Cheekpieces though I'm surprised they have not used a Tongue tie ! I think when they forked out  125,000 gns as a yearling for EXACT they expected more ! He's a lazy sort but I think he's been given a gift here the question is can he accept !
TROON represents Team Weld who are in good form at present,he must have had problems when he didn't appear until Killarney two weeks ago ! Sporting a tongue tie he was a tad slow out of the gate and came there down the outside in the straight. He didn't find much he wasn't knocked about but it's hard to judge how good that maiden was. The winner dictated off a canny slow gallop and then quickened leaving the pack in his slip stream. MOUNT MCLEOD was runner-up on 5 occasions in sprint handicaps for Jamie Osborne but such is the mediocre nature of this maiden even with a rating of 57 he can hardly be ruled out ! However he is a very free running sort and hard to see him geting a mile on this surface unless his new trainer Pat Flynn has taught him to settle. He has missed the kick from stalls numerous times and he has refused to Race too !!!

VERDICT A dire race but the old adage "Bad Will Always Beat Worse" rings true. It looks like they will price this up 9/10 EXACT 9/4  TROON 6/1 MOUNT MCLEOD
I'm inclined to think EXACT has shown something at home as prior to that warmish Navan maiden he attracted some support ! The fact he ran well there til just after the turn in at a time of season when traditionally O Brien horses are only half cooked indicates to me he has enough ability to outstay the Weld horse here !
It might not look pretty but I think Joseph will have to be agressive here and I think EXACT will have enough to win a very weak race ! I think there will be layers for him too ! He should cope well with this ground too !
SELECTION (1) EXACT (2)TROON

Tote Jackpot Guarantee Median Auction Maiden of €14,000.00 3-y-o

Another moderate but much more open maiden contest !
MUNTASAF  cost €140,000 as a yearling (Acclamation brother to 1m winner and half-brother to 2 winners) . Again the fact he's taken so long to get to the racecourse is a big concern ! Still in a weak race you can't rule him out ! He has a fair draw too in 4 .
SLIPPER ORCHID ran 3 crackers in maidens at good tracks and was a real eyecatcher in a fair Fairyhouse maiden on her debut ! She confirmed that at the Curragh and again in  Naas . She flopped in Tipperary last month, reportedly in season on her handicap debut . But given the consistent nature of her form on heavy ground prior to that you would forgive her that blemish !
PYRENEAN MUSIC was with David Wachman last year and ran ok in a few weak Dundalk maidens. He's been gelded and switched yard's prior to a moderate run on his return for David Marnane in Dundalk. He was well there but faded  late . I think the drop to 7 furlongs will suit and he ran really well on his only other turf excursion showing up superbly on his Gowran debut when he led for a long way finishing 3rd behind TIBET !
JUMBO PRADO in the first time tongue tie for popular  Chineese restraunteer Raymond Yeung likes to race with the pace and nearly stole a Cork maiden in June.
VERDICT Not a race I'm going to play in as its quite a trappy affair. There is lots of early pace with both JUMBO PRADA and PYRENEAN MUSIC likely to set a gallop ! If you can forgive her flop when in season I'd just expect SLIPPER ORCHID to cut them down late on. You also must watch the market to see if Weld's is fancied making this a no play for me.
SELECTION (1)SLIPPER ORCHID (2) PYRENEAN MUSIC (3) MUNTASAF (Market clues key)

4.05 Kevin McManus Beginners Steeplechase of €13,500.00 4-y-o plus
Probably the best race on the card in terms of quality ! A cracking novices chase with for me just 3 counting !

BACK IN FOCUS represents the Willie Mullins/Graham Wylie combination ! This horse looks an out and out stayer and in time we might see him running in some of the premier long distance handicaps in excess of 3 miles. He looked a slow staying type in Tipperary on his return and many were dissapointed with him there ! To his credit he was on return from a 15-month absence. It looked to me like he blew up 3 out and found his second wind again on the run to the last and Ruby didn't knock him about. This horse loves heavy ground but all he really does is stay so even this 2 miles 6 furlongs might be on the short side. That is unless Ruby decides to make use of his undoubted stamina and make the running on him ! By all accounts he's schooled great and he looked a great jumper in his point victory in Kilfeacle  although he did fall in Askeaton.

WHITE STAR LINE represents the legendary celebrated punter Patsy Byrne. This horse was well backed to win a begginers chase here last season but probably needed the run. This time around he has the advantage of a run behind him after geting a nice blow into him at Roscommon when a distant 2nd to the classy mare TARLA. That form was boosted by 4th placed START ME UP in the Kerry National today ! I love second season novices and WHITE STAR LINE has lots of experience after his debut season over obstacles. His season's highlight was a cracking staying effort behind the season's handicap star HUNT BALL in the Pulteney Land Investments Novices' Handicap Chase at the Cheltenham festival. Remember WHITE STAR LINE was a fair tool over hurdles giving First Lieutenant a real fright in a Punchestown maiden hurdle. He showed his tough nature in a Naas maiden hurdle in stamina sapping conditions beating DUN MASC. He also ran SIR DES CHAMPS to 2 1/2 Lengths over hurdles. Despite all this I recall having a big punt on him up North last season when he was already beaten when he fell on testing ground over 2 miles 7furlongs in Downpatrick. There remains a suspicion that good ground suits him best ! By all accounts he's a lazy horse and when he won his maiden hurdle he didn’t do a stroke when he hit the front !
JACK BENE  gained a deserved first success in a 2m6f maiden hurdle at Thurles in the spring.The 5/4 favourite looked a sitting duck as Quaquo De Flotte travelled well on his tail turning for home.Andrew Lynch found a willing partner, however, and he edged ahead going to the last and kept on in dour fashion.
The winner was not scoring out of turn having had seven career placed efforts, including a couple of runner-up positions in point-to-points. Like BACK IN FOCUS he looks an out an out stayer who is a tough gutsy type again he might want further in time too ! But he has always looked the type to make a better chaser !

VERDICT: For me a 3 horse race but probably a match at this point between BACK IN FOCUS and WHITE STAR LINE. Jack Bene might ensure a good gallop which might enable BACK IN FOCUS to bring his undoubted stamina into play. He'll love the ground but Willies haven't set the world on fire yet this week !
In a very tight call at the likely prices  I'm just tempted to give a very tentative edge to WHITE STAR LINE with his experience to edge BACK IN FOCUS . I'd imagine they'll bet 13/8 BACK IN FOCUS 9/4 WHITE STAR LINE  13/2 JACK BENE at those odds I wouldn't mind chancing WHITE STAR LINE but the market is going to be informative. If BACK IN FOCUS comes alive they might feel on his favoured ground that he has improved enough to win this. In reality if it were 2 1/2 miles on better ground you'd think WHITE STAR LINE was a good thing but over 2 miles 6 on heavy ground you worry about his Down Patrick display.
SELECTION:Dead Match BACK IN FOCUS+WHITE STAR LINE (I'll update in the morning as to my choice !) JACK BENE best of the rest !

17:35 LISTOWEL (IRE), 20 SEP 2012
2m

Devon Inn Hotel (pro/am) Flat Race (4YO to 7YO)
Winner €9,660 - Draw Advantage: None Heavy-soft to heavy in places on nh course

A small turn out for a good prize ! ANNIE POWER is  two from two in bumpers after winning in Galway at the start of the month. She won at odds of 9/10 that day and was the 6/4 favourite when she powered (pardon the pun)  away over two furlongs out and fairly sprinted away in the final furlong for a 15-length verdict in a hot Mares winners bumper in Wexford.She was owned by Eamon Cleary who played hurling for Wexford and is now a Dubai-based businessman but has now joined Willie Mullins from Jim Bolger after clearly Patrick Mullins was impressed and has been purchased by Rich Ricci (surname pronounced “Richie”): one of Britain’s highest-paid bankers, who last year pocketed £44 million in pay and extras from his employer Barclay’s. I know Bolger felt she'd win any average flat maiden. She didn't impress as much as her home work suggested on her bumper debut when a big morning gamble in Galway. It took a few strides for the penny to drop when they turned into the straight but once she got the hang of things she went away well . Clearly Wexford showed her in an even better light !

The John Long trained, Mikey O'Connor ridden Vintage Supreme sprang a 22/1 surprise in the bumper at Cork as he got the better of the Wrong Way Corrigan (5/2) for Willie and Patrick Mullins. He now tries to beat Willie again but this is a big ask. VINTAGE SUPREME ran well last February behind Noel Meade's highly rated FICKLE FORTUNE but in truth that was a weak race bar the winner who won doing handstands after almost geting brought to a standstill ! After his win in Cork his trainer said "Robbie McNamara rode him the last day in Thurles and he said there was no point in running him until he got reasonably good ground.
"I was going to run him at Ballinrobe recently but Mikey O’Connor, who rides him in work, told me to wait another while.
"

He clearly won't have that here but surely it was worth having a crack and at least they are assured of decent prize money.

VERDICT:ANNIE POWER is well above average mare and looks a certainty on ground that suits. She'll be 2/11 and for those that like buying money this affords you an ideal opportunity ! The ground obviously not ideal for VINTAGE SUPREME who is no slouch but this mare ANNIE POWER might be a real prospect !
SELECTION(1)ANNIE POWER

Not a great days racing  to be honest that begginers chase best race on the card !
Pause Switch to Standard View LISTOWEL Thursday Preview Day 5...
Show More
Report Stamford Bridge September 20, 2012 6:31 AM BST
I notice in reference to tommorow's likely Bumper winner ANNIE POWER: well DURSEY SOUND the horse that it beat in Galway on the Saturday of the festival has now been bought by JP McManus and joined John Joe O'Neil. It had been with Charlie Swan and clearly Timmy Hyde pointed out to JP that it just ran into a machine in Galway..After all there was  5½ lengths back to the 3rd and 15L back to 4th !!!
Report stevo1 September 20, 2012 9:41 AM BST
Princeton Plains in handicap hurdle to follow up last years win with MCcoy over to ride 4/1 fair price imo.
Report Bigwillystyle September 20, 2012 11:14 AM BST
Princeton Plains is  a horse i have backed all through his career.  He will win the county hurdle at Cheltenham if that is the route they decide to take.  I despair today though, that Tony McCoy is riding.  Niall Madden knows the horse very well and gets on great with him.  He is very fast over his hurdles and goes on the ground although better ground would be to his advantage.  Fair price at 4/1 but as McCoys riding i might half my intended bet.  Does not inspire me with confidence on these hold up horses.
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 20, 2012 11:28 AM BST
Priceless from Biglidlwillie,halfing his bet when AP McCoy gets the leg up, absolutely priceless.......best jockey of all time and Biglidlwillie halfs his two euro bet Laugh can this get any better..........come on Bigwillie AP is 2stone a better jockey................
Back in Focus will be my only bet, and I wont be halfing me bet because the great Ruby is up either Laugh
Report pa lapsy September 20, 2012 11:53 AM BST
3.35;
Whatuthink has gone up 6lb for a 1/2L beating of Donati,s Comet,well beaten in two subsequent runs over hurdles at Galway.
Leah Claire return from a 3 month break and ran a decent third to the improving Seventh Sign,pick of her form albeit over hurdle would be her 2nd in the old pearse hurdle last Jan.
Moveable asset got absolutely mullered when travelling very well turning in at Galway,has since had to work to win a maiden hurdle at Tramore.Trainers form is a worry however.
King of the Picts last run behind Missunited reads well as his win at Wexford.The 3yo hasn,t encountered anything worse than soft however.
Marlos moment is in good form,just denied by hatrick seeking Hartside,and a fair 3rd lto with decent yardsticks behind him.
Conclusion,While very taken with Moveable Asset Galway run and Marloes Moment current form think the safest play is a place on Leah Claire at around the 11/8 mark.No worries with trip or ground hoping for her "trademark" run of challenging a few furlongs out and though running on well usually finds 1 or two too good.GL with your picks today.
Report Bigwillystyle September 20, 2012 11:56 AM BST
So Princeton Plains with McCoy up carrying 12 Stone would beat Princeton Plains with Niall Madden up carrying 10 stone according to you?  Excellent reply.

Niall Madden has ridden the horse to all his victories and i consider him to be a very good jockey.  Only time McCoy rode it in Fairyhouse he should have won but got there much too soon.  McCoy is a good jockey but i dont fawn over him like you seem to do.  IMO he wouldnt be a patch on Ruby. McCoys horses are usually under priced also.
What does it matter if i have €2 euro or €2,000 on the horse?  Does your opinion count more than mine if i only have €200 on it and you have €300.  Get a grip
Report Rocketfingers September 20, 2012 12:07 PM BST
Wow BWS posts opinion before race Laugh
Report JayTrumpOldTomDubbl September 20, 2012 12:42 PM BST
Another priceless post biglidlwillie, now you have 2 Princeton Planes in the one race, in case your confused back both of them half your steaks........a g a i n.........Laugh
Report The Gotchee September 20, 2012 12:47 PM BST
Come on SB, you can do better than tip a long odds on shot in a two horse race. Are the handicaps too big of a challenge?
Report Bigwillystyle September 20, 2012 12:50 PM BST
Typical reply from a bluffer Jay.  You got caught out with your statement and now trying to deflect the attention away.
Report Bassanio September 20, 2012 1:16 PM BST
Princeton Plains with Madden up may well have been 5/1 or so in this race.
With AP up, he is 7/2 best.

If someone is of the view that his chance has not improved much as the other jock knows him well, then it is not at all illogical to see the bet reduced given that perceived value has been eroded.

I don't like Madden as a jockey so would not form the same view but I wouldn't laugh at it either. Neither would I say McCoy is the greatest simply because he is numerically well in excess of anyone else. I would definitely say that Ruby is a better jockey and it isn't even a contest in my mind.
Report allways collects September 20, 2012 1:41 PM BST
anybody got any passes for tomorrows racing
Report by purpose September 20, 2012 3:26 PM BST
Hats off to TG4 for the last few days.How refreshing to be free from the mafia for a change.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 20, 2012 3:55 PM BST
Moveable Assets run there should dispel any doubts about the Willie Mullins stable.
Back In Focus runs for Graham and Andrea Wylie in the next,since they moved some of their horses to Willie Mullins they have had an unprecedented run of victories,with the amount of prize money they have won this is probably the first year they are winning and bearing in mind how avaricious Howard Johnson was they surely cannot credit that you can win as owners.
Report workrider September 20, 2012 4:00 PM BST
the question i'd be asking wildman is ...as moveable asset trained in the main yard ..one swallow and all that , agree re the wylies , the word i heard at punchestown was willie promised him a hat full of winners..
Report The Gotchee September 20, 2012 4:03 PM BST
Fair play to TG4 they are doing a fine job and they have tipped up a few winners as well. McNamara  gave the winner of the Kerry national an e/w shout.
Report workrider September 20, 2012 4:05 PM BST
lots of money for willies now i see ...
Report workrider September 20, 2012 4:22 PM BST
it makes you wonder ....well dont it....money for willies ..horse busy ..no money ....dead after a few furlongs ....the coolmore of national hunt racing ..weres silvergreaser when you need him....Laugh
Report GANT007 September 20, 2012 4:28 PM BST
Poor auld silvergreaser is gone mad altogether...........I think he was blaming the O'Brien family for Tom Queally's ride on timepiece yesterday.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 20, 2012 4:28 PM BST
Willie Mullins doesn't back but an odd owner of his makes a fortune laying and punting his horses and if Willie ever knew how much Sidney Greenstreet was making he would look for a cut.
Report GANT007 September 20, 2012 4:30 PM BST
Now now.........it's all above board.
Report wildmanfromborneo September 20, 2012 4:35 PM BST
He knows the ones to lay and the ones to back,nothing illegal there just wish it was me.
Report GANT007 September 20, 2012 4:39 PM BST
Correct and right.
Report workrider September 20, 2012 5:34 PM BST
another one pulled up with a mile to run....ala silvergreaser , will they ask for an explanation....i think not....surely the need of punters , if only in the name of fairness  MUST be addressed ..this is a major stable with hundreds of followers at this festival alone ....for them to be kept in the dark is a disservice imo...they need informing of why the stables horses are beaten after less than 2/3ths of the race been run....
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com