Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheKid
16 Dec 07 21:43
| Topic/replies: 1,195 | Blogger: TheKid's blog
Was an article in todays Sunday Independent about an Irish Professional Gambler.

Gambling on beating the odds

Johnny Ward meets professional gambler Declan Meagher whose strict -- and profitable -- betting regime is built on self-control and hard work
Sunday December 16 2007

W E dine over steak and wine. A few weeks previously, I had become acquainted with Declan Meagher on a weekend in Milan, and had made my maiden meeting with his curious profession.

Now, he discusses his two-bed house (it was a three-bed, but one was converted to accommodate a jacuzzi -- serenity after a gruelling day's graft). He tells me that he eats out at least once weekly with his girlfriend, and plans to exchange his present 2005 car for a 2008 Audi TT in the New Year.

There are two common misconceptions about gambling: the first is that gamblers in general bet in order to make money; the second is that it is impossible to make money gambling. Declan proves the falsity of the latter, and is a rare exception to the former untruth.

Consider what I will call the line of equilibrium. A bad gambler -- that is to say the average gambler -- starts the day at that line. Once he starts losing, he will not be content until he has returned to the line of equilibrium, or back level.

Should he have the fortune of augmenting the bulk of his wallet, the temptation is to play with his profits, either due to brashness or dissatisfaction with the amount of money he has won. Sooner or later, he will be back at the line of equilibrium.

To Declan, either scenario is anathema. He is a professional gambler. "I used to work with racehorses for Dermot Weld," he explains, "and went over to Moyglare Stud most winters to break in the yearlings. I handed in my notice around February 2002 and was planning to stay in Moyglare for a few more months.

"I was, however, already making money on Betfair and although I hadn't told anyone yet, it was my intention to quit Moyglare and go full-time."

Circumstance would accelerate his departure. "I had a pain in my chest the morning of Istabraq's last Champion Hurdle run when he was pulled up. I went into work anyway and rode out one lot but it was agony and I had to go home.

"Nobody in Moyglare would believe me, as I was only telling them the day before of the excuses I used to come up with to get off school during Cheltenham. I went to the doctor and he reckoned that my lung had collapsed. It happened before with the other side so he sent me to hospital -- but I postponed it until after the last race. It had collapsed, though, and I took that as my opportunity to give up working with horses and go gambling full-time. I've been doing it ever since."

On the weekend in Milan, Declan placed a few football bets and laid (backed against) Manchester United moments before they took the lead against Blackburn.

The average gambler would have volleyed an insult towards the TV, or at the very least given a facial expression that betrayed frustration. Declan was without emotion -- the stoic demeanour of self-discipline, without which no professional gambler will prosper long-term.

While he does bet on football and other sports, Declan estimates that about 95 per cent of his bets are on horses; more precisely, he has developed a very complex system based on his own pricing-up of English races.

"At the moment I mainly operate in the place markets and I lay or back to get a return of 5,000. So if I laid a horse at even money, my stake would be 2,500; if I backed a horse at 4/1, it would be 1,000.

"I normally price up the market and I'll then back if I think the price is good and lay if I think it's bad."

This is considerably more convoluted than what it may seem. He has put into practice a template whereby, based primarily on the odds in a win market, he can -- taking into account a margin of error -- automatically instruct his computer to lay or back horses on the place market.

In essence (or otherwise), the theories of probability and variance dictate Declan's betting. Consider that he did pass maths in school, and it reinforces how ultimately redundant this country's Leaving Cert programme is.

On the off-chance that you are beginning to consider professional gambling an appealing alternative to your present bread-earner, the 31-year-old stresses that it is far from easy.

"Betfair, like bookmakers, have to make a profit and over the course of the year I pay them quite a bit in commission even though I'm on the lowest commission level -- two per cent of my winnings. At my current betting levels I would pay about 125,000 per year in commission, which means I have to make that much just to break even.

"In saying that, I'm obviously making more than that or I wouldn't be doing it -- but it takes a lot of work and self-control. You need an edge for a start and while it's possible to find one, it's up to any potential gambler to do his research and come up with possible flaws in a particular market that he can take advantage of."

His philosophy on sports betting -- and in particular football -- is perhaps of more pertinent intrigue to the standard punter.

Noel Browne's captivating biography Against The Tide unwittingly promotes the perils of that approach in politics, but it is a perfectly pragmatic policy in gambling.

Topical examples of Declan's bets include: backing Croatia on the premise that England were grossly over-rated by the odds; opposing plunged-on Russia even though they needed a win and Israel had no apparent motivation; backing Milan against Celtic due to the over-reaction to the draw being sufficient for Milan; and laying Ricky Hatton and some of the flood of sentimental money.

As with life, there are highs and lows in gambling. The crux is to identify every winner and loser as merely a dot on a vast map. One can determine probability, but predicting the future is a step beyond.

"I try not to let big wins or losses affect me," the Leixlip native stresses, "but if I had a really bad run it might affect me a bit. Sometimes it seems everything goes wrong. I remember one time I was having a bad month and a bad day. I then backed four horses for a place in a 15-runner handicap.

"I also place-laid three horses whose win odds were 8/1, 16/1 and 25/1. I can't remember the place odds but the horses I laid came in first, second and third. I just looked at the screen and laughed. Stuff like that happens and you have to just get on with it: if it affects your decisions, you're in trouble.

"I've obviously also had times when everything goes right and Denman winning the Hennessy was a real good result for me. I had Denman backed and laid a few for a place. I won 16,000, which is the most I ever won on a single race."

Without resorting to gratuitous praise for the betting exchanges -- they, like bookmakers, are about making money -- it would be virtually impossible for professional gamblers to operate without them. Traditional bookmakers have no problem accommodating your bets -- as long as you are losing. Otherwise, they generally have no interest in your custom.

Declan does all his gambling on Betfair, and does not envisage a career change for the foreseeable future.

"I hope to make enough money in the next few years to invest in some businesses -- maybe open my own restaurant or something like that. I'm also getting more into poker and when I get better at that I might spend more time on it as I find it a fascinating game."

He recalls meeting his girlfriend for the first time at a popular Dublin nightclub, where -- typical of its ilk -- the racket imposed by the DJ made conversation a chore.

"She texted me the next day and asked me what it was like being a professional gardener."

Four years later and he nonchalantly proclaims that "she has become quite good at poker".
Pause Switch to Standard View Irish Professional Gambler
Show More
Report buckhouse December 19, 2007 4:45 PM GMT
good to see things going well going wil be at the opening day of the festival in march will give ya buzz before then might have few quick scoops or is that a few glasses of wine!!
Report tobywong. December 19, 2007 4:47 PM GMT
The first mention of any bet by closure comes in the same post carvills hill , it definitely comes before the one that you mention , that is an undisputable fact!!!!!

When i said that closure would win it was a hypothetical answer to the bet being actually accepted !!

You ACCUSE me of making accusations against emi , your APOLOGIES are deafening!!!!
Report observerirl December 19, 2007 4:48 PM GMT
Thanks Carvills. One final question. If you don't fancy a horse and the market has small at your price(say 3.2) but there's a huge chunk at 3.25, would you take the 3.25?. Best of Luck in future BTW and hope you always come out on the right side and in one piece!!
Report tobywong. December 19, 2007 4:51 PM GMT
el guerooj , i have not offered to bet with anyone on this thread and dont intend to!!!
Report Center Field December 19, 2007 4:52 PM GMT
Fair play carvills hill i understand u work to a system on betfair and all that, lets take betfair away for a second. Just one question for u, a bit off topic but anyway. Lets just say u spent 7 days over the Christmas period in a betting shop with a bank of 2k for every day, would u be confident of making a decent profit?
Report El Guerrouj December 19, 2007 5:02 PM GMT
toby, so basically you're just moaning to everyone that you don't believe Declan but aren't prepared bet on it??............... Fair enough I suppose
Report Say hello to my little friend December 19, 2007 5:04 PM GMT
Hi Carvills hill, Ive followed this debate with huge interest and have digested most of the reasoned opinions on both sides of the argument. My gut feeling is you're a straight up guy making a few shillings - and fair play to you. I'm curious about what you think about horse ante-post betting and the in running horse market ? They are my big downfall and I'm fairly disciplined otherwise.
Report tobywong. December 19, 2007 5:05 PM GMT
i cant afford to gamble el guerrouj ;)
Report El Guerrouj December 19, 2007 5:07 PM GMT
Ha, this is definitely not the place to be so
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:12 PM GMT
That was my roundabout way of apologizing toby.
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:14 PM GMT
buckhouse 19 Dec 17:45
good to see things going well going wil be at the opening day of the festival in march will give ya buzz before then might have few quick scoops or is that a few glasses of wine!!

Are you going for the week? We have a good team going this year should be great craic.
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:18 PM GMT
observerirl 19 Dec 17:48
Thanks Carvills. One final question. If you don't fancy a horse and the market has small at your price(say 3.2) but there's a huge chunk at 3.25, would you take the 3.25?. Best of Luck in future BTW and hope you always come out on the right side and in one piece!!

If you mean if my lay price was 3.2 and i could lay for my full stake at 3.25 then no i wouldn't unless my price moved to 3.25. If you lay at 3.25 just becasue it's close to your lay price then your real lay price max is 3.25 so would you then lay at 3.3 becasue it's close to that. If you did that you'd have a problem deciding where to draw the line. Discipline is vital if you want to make money gambling.
Report platinni December 19, 2007 5:23 PM GMT
declan,

if you get the chance to answer these id appreciate it

how many variables did you account for in your program and how do you weight them?

what bank did you start off with?

do you never factor in weight of money?

cheers
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:25 PM GMT
Say hello to my little friend 19 Dec 18:04
Hi Carvills hill, Ive followed this debate with huge interest and have digested most of the reasoned opinions on both sides of the argument. My gut feeling is you're a straight up guy making a few shillings - and fair play to you. I'm curious about what you think about horse ante-post betting and the in running horse market ? They are my big downfall and I'm fairly disciplined otherwise.

If your on about the Betfair ante post market then i rarely if ever have a bet on it. There's no liquitity and if you leave a bet up then it will mostly only get matched when something has happened it.

I only rarely play in running but i would play more on Jumps racing then flat. I don't have SIS and the ATR and RUK pictures are to far behind to give anyone a fair chance. I think it would be possible to make money on them even without SIS but you would have to have a list of possible horses to lay before each race. For example if you did allot of video study to maybe find bridle horses that not everyone knows about yet and then lay them when they come there cantering. To beat the boys with SIS you would need to do something along thoses lines.
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:28 PM GMT
platinni 19 Dec 18:23
declan,

if you get the chance to answer these id appreciate it

how many variables did you account for in your program and how do you weight them?

what bank did you start off with?

do you never factor in weight of money?

cheers

I can't really say any more about the variables but there are a number of them. I started off with 100 from my mothers credit card and have although i've deposited since then loads of times it would only have been putting money back in that i had withdrawn. Weight of money is factored as the win price will come in which will in turn bring in my place price.
Report Center Field December 19, 2007 5:29 PM GMT
carvills basically what i'm asking you is would you be able to make a living form horses if betfair didn't exist??
Report Spud! December 19, 2007 5:29 PM GMT
How do you like your steak? See you at Cheltenham!!
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 5:31 PM GMT
carvills, my girlfriend has run off with someone else - a woman! What should I do?
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:34 PM GMT
Center Field 19 Dec 17:52
Fair play carvills hill i understand u work to a system on betfair and all that, lets take betfair away for a second. Just one question for u, a bit off topic but anyway. Lets just say u spent 7 days over the Christmas period in a betting shop with a bank of 2k for every day, would u be confident of making a decent profit?

Well for a start 7 days wouldn't prove whether you could or couldn't as short term luck would be to big a factor. Could i make a profit without betfair? Probably but it would be allot more work and allot more research to find edges and i'd never make anywhere near as much and basically i'd probably be better off trying somehting else.
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 5:40 PM GMT
DublinIreland 19 Dec 18:31
carvills, my girlfriend has run off with someone else - a woman! What should I do?

Send both of them around to my house and i'll let them have a jacuzzi.
Report Jobroke December 19, 2007 5:58 PM GMT
the betfair agony aunt..ask carvills
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 6:09 PM GMT
The Salmon Leap - often quoted as having the best bar, best pint and most expensive Guinness in Leixlip.

...I wonder does the Leixlip salmon of knowledge drink in there :)
Report Rupert from Killiney December 19, 2007 6:12 PM GMT
Rupert from Killiney 19 Dec 09:54
closure, I noted your comments below. Any chance of you showing us your P&L. Im just being nosey, no other reason.

At one stage last year I was winning in excess of a quarter of a million and ended up not even winning the price of a good car at the end of the year.
So how about you Deco?

As I said last night I dont feel the need to show it unless someone thinks the claims I made last night are false and they are prepared to back it up with there pocket.

I'm just interested in seeing the P&L of a Pro Punter as apposed to the loops you see posting on the Horse Racing forum.

I would love to find the Holy Grail of punting but I'm compulsive. It's just a pity it took so many years and so much money to find out.
Report ATRUBLU December 19, 2007 6:27 PM GMT
Fascinating stuff- Can i ask a few questions about your strategy Carvills

1- How many events would you bet in on an average day

2- How much of a loss could you incur if you went on a really bad run before it might affect your betting strategy.

3- Have your profits increased inline with your increased turnover.

4- Are your value prices on the place market based on the bookies prices or on the betfair win market prices
Report Chester J Lampwick December 19, 2007 6:30 PM GMT
Would anyone like to challenge An Post and post a Christmas Card addressed to:

Declan Meagher
Professional Gambler
Leixlip
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 6:31 PM GMT
1.01 he gets it Chester
Report Viva Las Vegas December 19, 2007 6:38 PM GMT
An astounding thread
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon December 19, 2007 6:53 PM GMT
it's Johnny Wards "Heart of Darkness"
Report punter85 December 19, 2007 7:00 PM GMT
A most enjoyable thread, thank you and Good Luck Carvill's and EMI. I hope the detractors hesitate next time before voicing their spleen.
Report kavvie December 19, 2007 7:00 PM GMT
a pleasing thread
Report BraveInca2006. December 19, 2007 7:09 PM GMT
I had not looked at this thread since Monday night and assumed it would be immersed in a sea of tawdry insults led by Fintan Stack, Stoppedinbehind etc. Some quite astonishing developments i must say.

I have to admit I read this article on a coach to a match on Sunday and as is typical for a football team where the main points of discussion are gambling, sports and women it was read by most of the players. Most would be your typical Eur10/20 betting shop merchants that have looked at me with blank stares for the past 5 years whenever I mentioned Betfair. Most of these lads found it a fascinating article and were astounded when mentioned the turnover figure on which the commission was based. I also received a couple of texts from non-gambling friends in relation to the article. I would assume it was these type of individuals the article was targetted at (successfully i would have thought) and not the all-knowing members of the Betfair community.

Fair play to EMI - the article was from from flawless but then feature type articles are a great deal more difficult than merely reporting an event or a synopsis of betting opportunies. I am sure there will be many more from him (hopefully in a better Sunday publication). In addition kudos to Carvills Hill for his success, honesty in coming on here and most importantly, stealing the username of my favourite horse of all time before i joined.
Report tubbsy. December 19, 2007 7:10 PM GMT
what restaurant do you go to in leixlip for your once a week meal out? was that info relevant to the article? what does it imply?
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 7:19 PM GMT
tubbsy. 19 Dec 20:10

what restaurant do you go to in leixlip for your once a week meal out? was that info relevant to the article? what does it imply?

tubbsy it was obviously relevant to a lot of people if you actually want to know where he goes. Of course if your question was a misguided attempt at wit you can confirm.
Report tubbsy. December 19, 2007 7:23 PM GMT
enjoy saturday with tfk

the article implied that he made a very good living from gambling with a jacuzzi & a mea outl once a week. id say a meal out once a week could be the norm these days -i found that bit of the article pointless , unless he goes to a relly really swank 5 star restaurant each week & if so id like to know wher it is for future reference
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 7:28 PM GMT
the article implied that he made a very good living from gambling

Would you rather it gave you no indication as to what kind of living he makes?
Report tubbsy. December 19, 2007 7:32 PM GMT
i felt the journalist was trying to imply he earned a very good living from gambling then he says about the restaurant which i wouldnt consider solely the actions of a person making a very good living so what was the point of that bit
Report JulioJulio December 19, 2007 7:44 PM GMT
I completely agree with you tubbsy.

I think you should apply for a job with Ireland's best selling Sunday newspaper, as given your postings on this thread you clearly have the credentials to be a top class journalist.
Report tubbsy. December 19, 2007 7:47 PM GMT
the next brendan o'connor
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 8:02 PM GMT
tubbsy. 19 Dec 20:32
i felt the journalist was trying to imply he earned a very good living from gambling then he says about the restaurant which i wouldnt consider solely the actions of a person making a very good living so what was the point of that bit

Taken together with the stuff about the jacuzzi and the car, it would seem to be making a point which is fairly easy to understand.

Apart from the restaurant bit which seems to have seriously annoyed you, what other parts do you take issue with?
Report JulioJulio December 19, 2007 8:09 PM GMT
Jesus tubbsy,
You seem like a bit of a** alright but I doubt you're that bad.
Report Jobroke December 19, 2007 8:14 PM GMT
why?
Report punter85 December 19, 2007 8:22 PM GMT
Tubbsy, you remind me of a dog with a bone, move on or grow up ffs.
Report handsome shay December 19, 2007 8:23 PM GMT
I eat in the Riverbank Resturant in the Courtyard Hotel, Leixlip. It is easily the finest eaterie in Leixlip, if not Kildare. I have never seen Declan and I'm sure the staff (and all the girls) would have been full of it if a sighting had been made
Report observerirl December 19, 2007 8:27 PM GMT
Carvills, having gone from a salaried job where you were paid buttons compard to current earnings where do you think you'll draw the line in relation to earnings and ambition ? By the roles very nature a successful gambler/punter, if anmbitious, wants to scale up annually but where do you draw the line? Just curious and interested to hear your view on this point as I'm sure its crossed your mind!!
Report Chippie1974 December 19, 2007 9:23 PM GMT
Greatest thread ever, knowing Dec since he started on Betfair I can safely say his figures are more than accurate. See you in Barcelona on Sunday, hopefully unlike Milano we get a game this time :)

PS as an accountant, they are going to get you..................... either them or the strippers in Vegas :)
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 9:27 PM GMT
ATRUBLU 19 Dec 19:27
Fascinating stuff- Can i ask a few questions about your strategy Carvills

1- How many events would you bet in on an average day

2- How much of a loss could you incur if you went on a really bad run before it might affect your betting strategy.

3- Have your profits increased inline with your increased turnover.

4- Are your value prices on the place market based on the bookies prices or on the betfair win market prices

About of the races in the UK. Some races arent suitable for my strategy. It wouldnt affect my strategy but might affect my stakes. Profits wouldnt increase in line with increased stakes as at least half of my bets arent fully matched which means profit would only increase on the half that are matched. Betfair win prices as a starting point. They are a much more accurate guideline as to a horses true chance especially for longer priced horses.

handsome shay 19 Dec 21:23
I eat in the Riverbank Resturant in the Courtyard Hotel, Leixlip. It is easily the finest eaterie in Leixlip, if not Kildare. I have never seen Declan and I'm sure the staff (and all the girls) would have been full of it if a sighting had been made

I presume your taking the**? I ate there once and I dont intend to again. Not a bad bar for a few drinks though.

observerirl 19 Dec 21:27
Carvills, having gone from a salaried job where you were paid buttons compard to current earnings where do you think you'll draw the line in relation to earnings and ambition ? By the roles very nature a successful gambler/punter, if anmbitious, wants to scale up annually but where do you draw the line? Just curious and interested to hear your view on this point as I'm sure its crossed your mind!!

You always try to maximize your profits with your current bankroll and that includes business as well as gambling. At the moment though I couldnt go any higher in the place markets as if I was getting much bigger stakes matched it would be on only a few selections and it could be that if I get that much matched its more llikely to be my price thats wrong rather than the market price.
Report carvills hill December 19, 2007 9:34 PM GMT
Chippie1974 19 Dec 22:23
Greatest thread ever, knowing Dec since he started on Betfair I can safely say his figures are more than accurate. See you in Barcelona on Sunday, hopefully unlike Milano we get a game this time

PS as an accountant, they are going to get you..................... either them or the strippers in Vegas

Not very subtle Chippie. I knew ya were going to post something like that once i told ya Es was reading it.
Report Chippie1974 December 19, 2007 9:36 PM GMT
What can I sat ;)
Report Perpetual December 19, 2007 9:43 PM GMT
i am just waiting for golden freeze to start acting as a "spolier"
Report DublinIreland December 19, 2007 11:19 PM GMT
No engagement on the Leaving Cert stuff Perpetual, you must be disappointed :)

I have been flicking through the last Sundays papers before binning them and I noticed that fine journalist Barry Egan was off interviewing Dolly Parton. He was crafty enought to get a picture, knowing the furore that would develop on the "Chit Chat" forum by his outlandish claims that he met her and spoke to her. Tubbsy's taking a break from this thread as he's over on the Chit Chat forum demanding that forum lurker "RedRum1975" comes on to confirm the accuracy of the piece. :)
Report spurs to buy big December 19, 2007 11:32 PM GMT
would not send egan to get a pint of milk
Report Jockey Full Of Bourbon December 20, 2007 2:03 AM GMT
jaysus Spurs, he's a great man to get ya into a nightclub
Report Thatch December 20, 2007 1:03 PM GMT
FFS, have ye all gone quiet. This**gin thread is starting to sag.

Looks like EMI & Carvills could be out of the woods??
Report irishro December 20, 2007 1:07 PM GMT
Give them a chance-5pm Thurs is deadline time for this Sunday's 'Value' column. Hope emi takes on board some of the suggestions from the splinter thread.......
Report stoppedinbehind1 December 20, 2007 2:13 PM GMT
Sitting on the fence Thatch?
Report MeetDeclanBefore December 20, 2007 8:24 PM GMT
Hi Declan

Nice to see you've come on to the forum and answered many of your doubters. In fairness most appear sound and have been quick to wish you the best of luck.

I was looking to send you something via e-mail but appreciate you mightn't want to post your address on here. So if you send me a mail at laylower@yahoo.co.uk I'll reply back. Not sure how to be sure its you and not someone posing.

I guess if you stick the name of a kerry man we both know who works in HP and would require a tow truck to remove him from the bookies then I'd know it was you.

Cheers,
Alan
Report Tony Fenton December 20, 2007 8:31 PM GMT
Bit harsh on Quirke.
Report Rupert from Killiney December 20, 2007 9:55 PM GMT
Just in my local and they are getting 'Deco is our hero' t/shirts and caps made for Leopardstown. Holy God!!!.
Report DublinIreland December 20, 2007 10:07 PM GMT
The Big Man may even be on hand to sign autographs on "Denman Day"
Report carvillshill December 20, 2007 10:50 PM GMT
I have only one problem with you Declan

YOU STOLE MY USERNAME!

And I only live down the road from you.

I dwell mostly in TRF, someone ther asked me if I'd had an article done about me!

FWIW I think you're stone mad to go public.

Couldn't you have picked Golden Freeze or something?
Report Gobbie December 20, 2007 10:50 PM GMT
Are we all going Denman Day? I'll be there there the 27th and 28th. What about the rest of ye?
Report carvills hill December 20, 2007 10:54 PM GMT
FWIW I think you're stone mad to go public.

Possibly but i thought it would be a bit of craic and didn't expect much reaction outside friends and family. It's not as if i gave much away in the article anyway.
Report carvills hill December 20, 2007 10:55 PM GMT
Ye i'm going for Denman anyway. Could be quite a sight seeing himself and The listener matching strides down the back straight.
Report stoppedinbehind1 December 21, 2007 9:56 AM GMT
Carvills and EMI cannot shut-up now.
Report PlastikMan December 21, 2007 10:53 AM GMT
There must be immense competition for the edge you have.

If you are making such good money out of it I think you must have found a variable that no one else considers.

How long do you think it will last ?
Report soapp December 22, 2007 12:54 AM GMT
Fair play to Declan for replying to your threads. I met him at York and Newmarket some time ago.
A nce bloke who never blew his trumpet.
He had the blackberry then.
He was over with a mate of his by the name of D.

He only read the BF forum for a laugh then!!
Report hammy December 22, 2007 9:35 AM GMT
He never blew his own trumpet????Thats the best one I heard all Christmas.What do you call doing an article in the Sunday Indo then?Best of luck to him if he is making a good profit,but in my experience,the punting game is the best leveller of all.Just when you think you have it cracked,it jumps up and bites you.Anyway,and I mean this,Best of luck Declan and a healthy New Year to you.
Report ricky butcher December 23, 2007 8:23 PM GMT
Some bitterly jealous people on this thread making seriously thick comments. Can't believe JW even rose to it. Nothing wrong with the article.
Report Chester J Lampwick December 23, 2007 9:40 PM GMT
At my current betting levels I would pay about 125,000 per year in commission, which means I have to make that much just to break even.
Report The Honey Monster December 24, 2007 9:53 AM GMT
700 posts, Boom!!!!
Report CulUamha Rebel December 24, 2007 2:24 PM GMT
a lot of jealousy on this thread methinks
Report tubbsy. December 24, 2007 2:51 PM GMT
surprised delan meagher was beaten to the sindos person of the year by gerald kean whoever he is
Report PlastikMan December 25, 2007 9:51 PM GMT
There must be immense competition for the edge you have.

If you are making such good money out of it I think you must have found a variable that no one else considers.

How long do you think it will last ?
Report Gimmeabreak December 30, 2007 1:03 PM GMT
wow, what a thread. Ive just been through it all.

no need for further comment, its an all inclusive thread and those who I expected to speak with knowledge did - the rest didn't surprise me.

wp, nh, gg.
Report kincsem December 31, 2007 5:21 AM GMT
I asked Betfair for a spreadsheet of my bets from my first bet on 12/04/04 to the time I started in 28/12/04.

I can now tell how many bets I had, the value, the profit, the markets, how many winners, how many losers.

If the professional gambler is genuine (and professional), he would have all this information to hand. A professional would analyse his records to eliminate weaknesses, and concentrate on strengths.

And he would be able to give all the numbers.
Report kincsem December 31, 2007 5:22 AM GMT
*from my first bet when I started on 12/04/04 to 28/12/04
Report Chester J Lampwick January 3, 2008 9:16 PM GMT
ttt to give backers of 1000+ posts a chance
Report Center Field January 3, 2008 9:19 PM GMT
thats not going to add many extra posts to this thread, come up with some controversial.. come on Chester u can do it
Report Chester J Lampwick January 3, 2008 9:44 PM GMT
Couldn't be bothered tbh
Report 1.01's no fun January 3, 2008 10:00 PM GMT
who the ** backed dani california at 4's on today- this'll keep the fred goin!
Report Center Field January 3, 2008 10:06 PM GMT
no 1.01's no fun thats no good, you should have said that you had 40k on and then went on to dump another 20k during a wretched 3 hour spell of punting on the virtual action.
Report tubbsy. January 3, 2008 10:21 PM GMT
then you treated yourself to a margherita in Da Vincis of Leixlip
Report 1.01's no fun January 3, 2008 10:23 PM GMT
actually i know a man so far losing such amounts everytime this ** dons a saddlecloth-
Report Bellyer January 4, 2008 12:35 PM GMT
What kind of saddo would tell a girl in a club ''Im a professional gambler'', alarm bells would ring in any intelligent girls head. Maybe he'd be better off with the Gardening career long term.
Report irishro January 4, 2008 12:49 PM GMT
In fairness he probably woo'd her with the offer of a meal once a week and a dip in the tub-doesn't matter how he affords it!!
Report Bellyer January 4, 2008 12:55 PM GMT
Yeah, one meal a week and bread and jam for the rest is more likely i'd say.
Report galway law January 4, 2008 2:41 PM GMT
I hear EMI eats in Leo Burdochs twice a week.
Report thegalwayman May 1, 2010 2:48 PM BST
I read the notice that the forum is changing and all threads with no activity in the last 6 months will be deleted- I couldn't let this one go.
Report TRADESPORT May 1, 2010 3:40 PM BST
Willie,can you get up the one on your infamous interview with johnny ward?
Report BraveInca2006. May 1, 2010 4:14 PM BST
A proper blast from the past this.
Report oldbean May 1, 2010 4:17 PM BST
too long,
can someone sum it up???
Report ricky butcher May 1, 2010 4:50 PM BST
Young journo writes puff piece about Irish professional gambler. Bitter forumites with inferiority complexes and no understanding of journalism seeth. End thread.
Report Win only - Sp only May 1, 2010 6:55 PM BST
Johhny has had the last laugh, tipping in the racing post and a regular of RTE , HE KNEW.
Report tobywong. May 1, 2010 7:23 PM BST
great stuff, still dont believe the figures in the article ;)
Report Biodiesel May 1, 2010 8:12 PM BST
now I know why I should of known EMI.

Declan prob a decent punter and while he may have limits to his wagers, their is no limits to his imagination. He made a slip up with revealing his commisions, His story is very hard to back up.

EMI reports well and fair play to him for contributing on here, but in this game and generally this life one must be cynical at all times,give a fella a inch an hel take a mile, being Irish, being cynical,it should come easy
Report Allez May 1, 2010 8:16 PM BST
There's a few good threads that must be bumped.

The Irish forum must be the only forum that 90% of it's most famous threads end up being pulled.
Report Biodiesel May 1, 2010 10:15 PM BST
the inquiry into stable employee who was caught laying for a certain stable, the guy lost over 8k on one runner that was some thread!
Report Biodiesel May 1, 2010 10:22 PM BST
enquiry the cider takin effect
Report neill d May 1, 2010 10:26 PM BST
It was poorly written though in mitigation he is a decent tipster.
Report Princesse D'Anjou May 1, 2010 10:35 PM BST
The Michael Hourigan thread :)
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com