Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
16 Nov 09 23:34
| Topic/replies: 8,525 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Irish Open ( golf ) at Killarney 29 July 2010 . May have missed the news earlier , but dont remember seeing anything .
Anyway , thank God they have got a decent date for the event , and hopefully it will bring a lot of tourist revenue to the region . Remember it there in early nineties , but dont think it was a huge success , not sure about the timing then . Its a long way from Dublin and the North .

The timescale involved suggests they might get a few leftovers from The British Open which usually is around mid July . Economy / tourism etc could do with a decent boost . Hopefully the locals will not view it as an opportunity to rip off the visitors .l
Pause Switch to Standard View Is this breaking news ?
Show More
Report Vubiant November 17, 2009 12:59 AM GMT
Killarney not to rip off visitors ??? ......LOLOL ... :^0

Craziest sentence ever written . Killarneyites the most grubby , grasping , greedy ,group of financial bloodsuckers at large in the known universe.
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 7:50 AM GMT
Not crazy , Vubiant . Just a question re the greed the Celtic Tiger has brought to the forefront in Irish society . We all know the tourists have voted with their feet , added to a series of disastrous summers weatherwise .

Despite a base in Kerry , I avoid Killarney like the plague , saw it through and through many times years ago . Only go for the racing nowadays , one of the most beautiful places on earth on a summers day / evening , particulalry if your picking is on song .

I will hopefully get to the golf , good course although I think they have moved it about a bit since I last played it ( in the seventies as I recall ) .
Report closure November 17, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
Unfortunately Kelly not Crazy. Killarney invented the Rip off. They were robbing us down there when no one had a shilling.
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 10:56 AM GMT
[b]IRISH OPEN: IN SECURING a prime late-summer date on the European Tour for next years 3 Irish Open which will be held over the Killeen course at Killarney on July 29th-August 1st, a bank holiday weekend in Ireland, the tours chief executive George OGrady yesterday admitted to what he called
Report Biodiesel November 17, 2009 1:09 PM GMT
U get a bnb in Killarney for E25pps the average price of a pint in town is e4 with one place charging e5.50 thats he only exception and I refuse to go their

You can go out get lunch from e8 to 12.50 from wide choice of restaurants with varying quality an prices

Killarney alot more more competitive due to over supply of accom, excellent deals are available.

Out in Dublin for the match prices. pints ranged from 5.40,6.40 an 7.20.

We also for sum reason have the cheapest petrol prices in Ireland!

So Kelly please tell wheres the rip off ye
Report irishlad November 17, 2009 1:14 PM GMT
7.20 a pint? What the hell were you drinking?
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 1:22 PM GMT
Pitchers.
Report Biodiesel November 17, 2009 1:23 PM GMT
its was across from the Bailey, Byrnes it was called a swanky bar off grafton st.
Report Biodiesel November 17, 2009 1:24 PM GMT
drinkin pictures up in the woolshed b4 d game e12.90, that was good value.

mate paid e7.20 in the bar off grafton st,he was harping on about it
Report downallstar November 17, 2009 1:29 PM GMT
anyone who pays 7.20e for a pint is an idiot.
Report irishlad November 17, 2009 2:00 PM GMT
"Byrnes it was called a swanky bar off grafton st."

Davy Byrnes?

Jaysus when I was a student in Dublin in the late 1980s Davy Byrnes wasn't swanky. I prefer Dublin in the rare auld times.
Report norn iron November 17, 2009 2:03 PM GMT
DOWNALLSTAR ID PAY THAT ONLY IF IT WAS SCARSE B-)
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 4:45 PM GMT
Biodiesel , I did not allege that Killarney is a rip-off --although lots of others did . The reason I avoid Killarney is traffic and buckshee delph donkeys .

Love Muckross , the races , and Fitzgerald Stadium , and the golf course was excellent the last time I played there .

Could not tell you the price of pints or other drink , my only tipple is with a meal . Sad lack of New Zealand wine generally in South of Ireland for some reason which puzzles me , it suits my palate . When I go to Kerry I have to bring it with me .
Report irishlad November 17, 2009 4:47 PM GMT
Bring your own NZ wine to the pub? God its like the Royle Family in here.
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 5:45 PM GMT
Unlikely , Irish lad , but believe it if you want . Cant buy it most places more like , certainly not at anything equivalent to what I pay in the North ( plus availability ) . Guess thats why there are queues in the shops in Newry , Omagh , Enniskillen etc of southern shoppers .
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 6:15 PM GMT
2 stories ( fact apparently ) to back up some of the Celtic Tiger overpayment to yourselves .

A G. P. in the North on average earns about £120 K a year , they seldom had it so good , they screwed a great deal out of the ( British ) government --and the ones we know have it easier work -wise than they used to . In Kerry this summer I was reliably informed that on of the G.P.'s in that county had patient income of 800k euros last year , plus other medically related income . Excess ? Worth ?

A friend who recently retired at the top of the heap as a hospital consultant with 40 years experience in the North learned that a contemporary of his daughter , just qualified effectively , was STARTING a new post in the South at the same salary (in the same discipline as him) as he was earning after a lifetime --with 35 years less on the clock . He was always satisfied that he had a cracking good income , just shook his head in astonishment at the salary being paid to someone just starting out on the same type of ladder as himself . Jack and the beanstalk ? Where does the ladder finish --it might even collapse .
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 6:29 PM GMT
People have to pay mortgages Kelly it's not that simple.
Report timberman November 17, 2009 6:34 PM GMT
it is very simple....hugely overpaid and inefficient public sectors = Broke Country
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 6:46 PM GMT
My housekeepers aren't in the public sector though
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 6:50 PM GMT
That's one of the fallacies , Cailin Deas . People DONT have to pay mortgages necessarily . Most countries in the European Union scratch their heads when they hear of all our young people "having to get on the property ladder " . They rent at that stage . But the younger people getting on the ladder helps push up prices , and it is " good advice " when it comes from within the banking / lending community who are being baled out left right and centre with YOUR money .

Getting on the property ladder is just another symptom of get rich philosophy , but cyclicly it backfires often . UK suffered that in late eighties /early nineties . As for self certified mortgages , dont get me started on the bankers/ mortgage sellers etc .
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 6:58 PM GMT
Yes you're right we are obsessed with property ownership.

It's sad for people who spent 30 years paying off their mortgages only to dive in to help their offspring buy overpriced dog boxes.

The reality of the situation is that most public and private sector workers will end up paying through the nose to scrape the bankers off the floor. But then again they mostly deserve it, as they voted Fianna Fail into government time and again.
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 7:12 PM GMT
Yes , Cailini Deas , have heard of quite a few parents who find themselves supporting their offsprings house forays .

Strangely my children who all live in the North all have mutiple dwelling ownership , but let out and the mortgages are more than paid for ( low interest rates) via rents . But the houses are down a third in value from a year ago ( despite the hype about the house market getting back on its feet --that info coming from the estate agents / lenders , not people who are actually selling and buying their own precious investment ) .

Any idea what a newly qualified teacher gets as starting salary in South ? I heard a figure last summer which astonished me , but have no way of verifying it ( or real interest therein ) .
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 7:22 PM GMT
tobywong mentioned that he takes home about 550 Euro a week if I'm not mistaken.

:-)
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 7:33 PM GMT
Presumably he is a teacher . If that is correct , salary must be about 800 per week , on basis that a 30% deduction for tax and pension contributions etc would be about right I suspect .
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 7:38 PM GMT
Could have been 650 he said not certain.
Report irishlad November 17, 2009 8:34 PM GMT
Kelly, I live in London. I have said on many an occasion that central London is cheaper than Kilkenny, Kilbeggan or Tullamore let alone Dublin. Everyting is shockingly overpriced and over paid. From the dole, minimum wage upwards.

I considered coming back a number of times over the last 5 years and everytime I realised I couldn't afford it. The country is fecked and until all costs come down 15-20% minimum, Ireland will remain uncompetitive and stuck in a slump akin to the 70s and 80s. Maybe not a bad thing as Ireland and its people have changed for teh worse over the last 10 years. The Special Olympics probably the only redeeming feature of the last 10 years.

And I was only winding you u about the wine. I apologise. Went to New Zealand about 10-15 years ago. Grew a love for Cloudy Bay. Been bought out by the French since. They know their stuff.
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 8:52 PM GMT
Irishlad , envy you and the access you had to NZ wine . Its probably cheaper there too , must be in that the cost of transporting it half way around the world would be a factor .

Cloudy Bay , when available ( not everywhere stocks it ) is £17 a bottle here . But the Montana and Nobilo Marlborough's are nearly as good , and less than half the price , in fact last I bought worked out at under £5 per bottle , after all the discounts were applied .

Great value , I can remember paying £3 a bottle for plonk 20 years ago , before the NZ produce became mainstream here . Still hard to find down South though .
Report CailiniDeas8 November 17, 2009 9:10 PM GMT
Stopped drinking it in protest after they speared BOD.
Report Kelly November 17, 2009 9:16 PM GMT
Cant allow sentiment to get in the way of contentment , Cailini . Good point though .
Report irishlad November 17, 2009 9:23 PM GMT
Cailini I don't drink Murphys after Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland, and the Cork hurling strike.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com