Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Kelly
11 Nov 09 21:53
| Topic/replies: 8,525 | Blogger: Kelly's blog
Relevant this week where I hear the Derry City players have not been paid for up to 10 weeks . No idea how much they get paid , but 10 weeks missing out of anyones pocket hurts .

On purely economic terms , professional soccer in Ireland , North and South , is on a very slippery slope . It was not great up to a year ago , but last year must have been catastrophic with sponsors etc going down the tubes .

Always thought it was a bit of a nonsense here to be apeing our bigger neighbours , a considerable number of whom have no other interest in life other than the specific soccer team they support ( which may or may not be local ) . Local I can understand , but when the team comes from a different city etc I scratch my head a little . In England it is de rigeur in any interview to declare which soccer team the interviewee supports , presumably non support diminishes your citizenship claims . We in Ireland thankfully have a wider spectrum of sporting interests generally .

If , on the other hand , in Ireland they reverted to mainly amateur or semi-professional status , they might survive , otherwise I have serious doubts as to survival . The economy in both parts of our island cannot support current set-up .
Pause Switch to Standard View Can professional soccer in Ireland...
Show More
Report Little Des November 13, 2009 6:26 PM GMT
Only way for a pro league is a 16 team league from the ISLAND of Ireland.

Ban ANY team that pushes the religious angle. That is NO Celtic/Rangers style supporters.
Report GANT007 November 13, 2009 6:57 PM GMT
Big ask little Des.......the BOHS fans couldnt even behave on a short trip to Bray the other night.
Report The Icchantika November 13, 2009 7:06 PM GMT
Hopefully not.
Report rule4 will apply November 13, 2009 8:14 PM GMT
celtic league style set up although we couldnt call it that.
scottish teams minus the big two (let them join the premiership) and the teams from north and south in a 20 team league perhaps?
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 8:18 PM GMT
A handful of Bohs fans, GIMP. Sorry GANT.
Report GANT007 November 13, 2009 8:29 PM GMT
how many is a handful these days?.
Report macrocky November 13, 2009 8:41 PM GMT
It could be the league of dublin next year .at least that will cut down on hotels and travel.
Several clubs in britain are in trouble, the wages are unrealistic , moderate players, hard times , sums dont add up
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 8:50 PM GMT
How many #ricks can you fit in one hand? Thats about how many.
If this thread is about non LOI fans having a crack at the state of affairs then I`ll pass.
Report Kelly November 13, 2009 9:14 PM GMT
Dont know much about alternative set-up to put the thing on an economic footing . What I do know ( or think ) is that current expenditure ( viz wages ) cannot be sustained . It is a question then of cutting down to semi professionalism or amateur . But would any / all / most/any accept that ?
Report GANT007 November 13, 2009 9:24 PM GMT
you can call me all the names you want and I used to be a LOI fan when my brother played.
The only reason I made the comment about fans behaviour the other night is that a friend of mine was there with his 2 young lads and they had the s*it scared out of them.
They are not regular LOI goers and probably will never go again.
I know it was a small few who organised it.
Will not post on this thread again as I am a non LOI person.
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 9:35 PM GMT
Have a look at what I wrote last weekend on that thread I brought to the top. I, like the vast majority of our fans were disgusted with what happened. It was sickening and theres no place for it in any sport. I`m surprised a large fight didn`t erupt between our "fans" because there were a lot of words exchanged on the night.
I apologise but I dont like generalisations which is what your statement was. I could certainly understand why somebody wouldnt want to attend again after witnessing what happened.
Report GANT007 November 13, 2009 9:42 PM GMT
I should have made my first post clearer, I apologise to you and all other sporting BOHS fans...........
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 9:48 PM GMT
Thank you. I`m well aware of how bleak the future is. On many fronts. Sorry again.
Report TheMust November 13, 2009 9:54 PM GMT
Isn't a handful the total travelling support?
Report soldieroffortune November 13, 2009 10:02 PM GMT
Plenty to look forward to going forward gents.

For example, this week up in the north of Dublin we received workrider's application for a Bohs season ticket for next season.

After much thought, deliberation and a review of his covering letter saying that he's come out of the mist and he wants to follow the Champions for the foreseeable future, we'll be very pleased to welcome him as a regular at Dalymount from this point ;)
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 10:04 PM GMT
Generally, yes. In this instance, it was our biggest for years.
Prime Time are dedicating a programme to our pitiful product next Tuesday night. Should be amusing viewing for many on here.
Report workrider November 13, 2009 10:11 PM GMT
sof, the only part of your article you got right was that i'm going to follow the champions for the forseeable future , the rovers :)
Report soldieroffortune November 13, 2009 10:17 PM GMT
Good to hear from you mate :)
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 10:20 PM GMT
Fingal coming up is bad news wr. For both of us!
Report workrider November 13, 2009 10:21 PM GMT
you been racing ? i was going to go to cheltenham this week decided against it , was hoping punchestown would go ahead , not looking likely now imo.
Report workrider November 13, 2009 10:23 PM GMT
true giant, plus i layed them tonight ,very few supporters .
Report punkha1 November 13, 2009 10:35 PM GMT
Ucd & Sporting Fingal aint gonna be great additions to the Premier Division unfortunately,wouldn't have 200 fans between them :(
Report Cupwinkcook November 13, 2009 10:43 PM GMT
from a selfish point of view, an extra trip in Dublin with Fingal replacing Derry is grand

On the other side of the coin, I'd prefer to go to Bray than Belfield even though the mileage is more, always get a good welcome in Bray
Report soldieroffortune November 13, 2009 10:45 PM GMT
UCD a decent side gents imo, played some good stuff this year. Deserving of their promotion and I'm pleased they've come up.
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 10:50 PM GMT
Fingal have already picked up Glen Crowe and they mean business. Not sure how legit their financing is but you can be sure thats not the end of their spending, not by a long chalk.
Report soldieroffortune November 13, 2009 10:51 PM GMT
They're not half the side we are GS.
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 10:52 PM GMT
They could turn out to be a large pain in as# for us SOF.
Report Cupwinkcook November 13, 2009 10:53 PM GMT
I see Fingal coming 3rd next season, close between themselves Sligo and Cork
Report Cupwinkcook November 13, 2009 10:53 PM GMT
I see Fingal coming 3rd next season, close between themselves Sligo and Cork
Report soldieroffortune November 13, 2009 10:56 PM GMT
You really think so GS? Rovers a much better side than them imo.
Report Giant Strides November 13, 2009 10:59 PM GMT
I`d say they would beg to differ SOF. Not remember this?
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0915/shamrockrovers_sportingfingal1.html
I love a good langer laugh cupwink. LOL
Report soldieroffortune November 13, 2009 11:01 PM GMT
It's a fair point you make there GS.
Report Sligo November 14, 2009 1:07 AM GMT
OK Folks. A senior league team since we were founded.

A community Club. Two league titles,two FAI cups, a football town tp the core.

Dixie Dean, Paul McGee, Tony Fagan, Willie McStay, Gerry Carr, Tomy Stenson, Harry Mc Laughlin.

History awaits the next man in Tallaght.
Report Sligo November 14, 2009 1:08 AM GMT
OK Folks. A senior league team since we were founded.

A community Club. Two league titles,two FAI cups, a football town tp the core.

Dixie Dean, Paul McGee, Tony Fagan, Willie McStay, Gerry Carr, Tomy Stenson, Harry Mc Laughlin.

History awaits the next man in Tallaght.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com