Forums

Irish Sports

Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
02 Nov 09 21:51
| Topic/replies: 12,906 | Blogger: Diamond_Joe_Quimby's blog
"So Jack, do you believe a 4 billion cut is needed?" says Pat.
"I don't necessarily think that amount is needed" replies Jack.
"So How much then?" says Pat.

"I'm not sure of a figure" says Jack........

Anyone paying a union sub must truly wonder why they bother :^0
Pause Switch to Standard View Jack O'Connor
Show More
Report Cupwinkcook November 2, 2009 9:55 PM GMT
knows how to train footballers though
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 2, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
I think the Kerry coach would be a better rep in a union ;)
Report gentlemanjohn November 2, 2009 10:11 PM GMT
Talks a lot of shyte but fair play to Jack for getting right under the Plank's skin tonight. The bit about the trophy houses was pure gold. For a second i thought Plank was going to get up out of his seat & whack him
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 2, 2009 10:14 PM GMT
Comedy gold but JOC was toasted, quality Kenny.

Aym naht Takin this Blaudy Krap :^0

Here comes the bleeding heart mother screaming for her child benefit. How about these scroungers pay for their own kids.
Report Trent Reznor November 3, 2009 9:35 AM GMT
Diamond Joe,
The child benefit is a necessary evil.
Without it there would be very little incentive for middle income earners to have children.
You will find that it is this segment of society is amongst the most responsible when making decisions about how many children to have. However, the universal nature of child benefit leaves it open top abuse by many sectors of society.

Purely for example purposes (as these statistics are the easiest to hand) the most recent recorded birth rate for travellers is 33.32 per thousand, whilst the Irish national average is 15.0.
I know an unemployed man (aged 35) who has 6 children that he knows of.
The oldest is 19. She miscarried herself in the spring. But for that unfortunate event he would be a grandfather.
His social welfare entitlements include a rent allowance of €119.
It's this sort of fella who should have his benefits cut, not the recently redundant who has a significant mortgage to pay & family to support.

But the social welfare system is universal so if the payments are cut for 1 they are cut for all.
Report rule4 will apply November 3, 2009 2:51 PM GMT
an odious individual
Report Patsy Indy Cline November 3, 2009 2:52 PM GMT
Watching Jack O'Connor last night must have been an embarrassment to the comrades in the Trade Union movement.

To think that this stuttering amadan was the best the Unions could come up with is to know all you need to know about the Unions, their members and their policies.

"I...I...I.....didn't say their would be no cuts. I..I...I said there would be no cuts in pay"
Watching him fidgeting after that line of drivel, hoping the earth would swallow him whole, was cringe inducing.

A shiny suit, an empty head and a beard. Job done. €120,000 p / a.
Report Upthewaterhill November 3, 2009 2:58 PM GMT
Get rid of the unions, ruination of any country.
Report kavvie November 3, 2009 4:30 PM GMT
mob rule seems to be the thing here..i guess ye would have everyone on min wage and michael o leary leading the country.unions have contributed hugely to the development of this country.it was bertie and his banker/builder cronies that ruined it.a blind man can see that.
Report pots November 3, 2009 4:59 PM GMT
trent reading your posts today have you some sort of newsletter I can subscribe to ?
Report Hemingway November 3, 2009 5:15 PM GMT
The really interesting aspect of alll this is going to be watching what the union leaders do, or suggest that their members do, when it becomes apparent that the public sector unions do not have the support of their private sector colleagues.

I hope that the Government don't bottle this one and cave at the last minute.

The noises being made by some union big wigs today suggest that they realise jobs or pay has to be cut; so the head in the sand approach by Mr Begg and O'Connor can't win out.

On the subject of Kenny's show, this was another brilliant performance by Pat (and I am not a fan of his in general). He has hit the ground running with this show and is very impressive. O'Connor was trounced by him last night. I hope the unions see the light (agree to modest pay cuts) and let's move on with getting Ireland back on its feet.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 3, 2009 6:54 PM GMT
Trent,
i respect your point Re; Child benefit but disagree. Having a child is a lifestyle choice. I fail to see why anyone in society should be subsidised to have children. If you can't afford them then don't have them.

It's this sort of fella who should have his benefits cut, not the recently redundant who has a significant mortgage to pay & family to support.

Maybe i'm taking you wrong but child support cuts should make no difference to your ability to pay a mortgage. If you need child benefit to pay the bank each month, then thats the individuals problem.
Report ATC November 3, 2009 7:06 PM GMT
The Unions played there part in the recipe that over cooked the economy. That much is also clear Kav.

Everyone jumped on the bread wagon and cried more, more, more....a feeding frenzy which definitely has contributed to the mess we are in.

Banks, Developers, Goverment, Unions all at fault to some degree or another.

The blame game is pointless though, people who have broken the law and it can be proved should be dealt with accordingly, the rest of us need to try our best to change this country and the way its run.

Systems of government which are antiquated and from a different era need to be replaced with common sense and intelligence.

For example how the cabinet is formed. Why choose a minister for finance who has no knowledge of subject matter? Lenihan is a trained solicitor, yet he is entrusted with running the finances of the country? Bertie before him, who lied about his qualifications at one point......people who are not capable are appointed to the most important positions in the state.

At least Lenihan made a massive effort to get on top of things and try and work his hardest, but it would be like given Michael Owen a hurl and starting him centre forward in next years All-Ireland. Just not what he is trained to do well.

The ministerial jobs should be decided upon not on members of the overpaid Dail, but on a process of selection to find out who is the best and most qualified person to fill that roll. Thus giving us the best chance of making the best decisions.

I realise this is completely off the wall with regards our current system but to be honest we need radical change and getting the best person for a job is never to far from the best idea.
Report Cupwinkcook November 3, 2009 7:19 PM GMT
"fill that roll" - that's about all Mary Coughlan is qualified to do
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 3, 2009 8:13 PM GMT
Mega.....heard he was 'milking outside the bucket' ???
Report Haventaclue November 3, 2009 9:53 PM GMT
If it wasn't for unions, most of us would be working 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 50c an hour.
These days though, the top union guys and gals are in the fat cat bracket. It'll be interesting to see how far they go with their threats.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 3, 2009 11:22 PM GMT
I think what it demonstrates is that social partnership has nearly bankrupted this country. It was the last governments way of passing the buck when it came to fiscal prudence. Government dictate policy...thats what we elect them for. Since when did Unions have any say in how the country is run which is basically what social partnership is.
Report Trent Reznor November 4, 2009 9:53 AM GMT
Diamond Joe,
Previously I would have held the same opinion re child benefit.
Should point out that I now have 3 children.
The problem is that if we didn't have child benefit the birth rate would reduce. We would then have an ageing population & we would have no young people to 'look after the elderly' as analysts put it.
If we didn't have young Irish people to do the work that only the young can do then we would have to import young people from other countries.
Eventually we'd go extinct as a race - Richard Dawkins suggested the complete extinction of humanity during his most recent appearance on the Late, Late Show.

Haven'taclue,
Perhaps you're right.
Probably union members would be working 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 50c an hour as most are too stupid to realise there is an abundance of Irish & EU legislation preventing such abuses by employers.
But how can you expect them to read this legislation when they need their shop steward to tell them what day it is?

Unions are part of the cause & part of the problem in this country.
Public sector unions got money they should never have been given.
They are not even being asked to return the money they have pocketed.
They are just being asked to take a smaller proportion in the future but they won't agree to that.
Benchmarking was a fr.aud perpetrated on the Irish taxpayer by FF & public sector unions.
We don't get governance in this country. We get continuous opportunistic electioneering in place of government.
Report moneypenny November 4, 2009 12:42 PM GMT
Your spot on as usual trent. You should really consider politics as a career option. You would run rings around most of the muppets in Leinster house
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 12:45 PM GMT
Trent , what would you consider a take home wage for a teacher with a masters degree in education and 10 years in the profession??
Report Tolmi November 4, 2009 3:36 PM GMT
Take home pay is relative to your marital taxation position and therefore gross pay is a more accurate measure.I have asked previously what the gross pay of a teacher is and also what it was in the UK.The silence was deafening.Also the number of teaching hours worked by each might be of interest....
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 4:30 PM GMT
tomli, can u answer the q above?
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:01 PM GMT
i thought not , gross pay is as per the union websites and is easily accessible. I can assure you that what matters to anyone is what is in their pocket at the end of the month.
Report CailiniDeas8 November 4, 2009 5:11 PM GMT
That's true toby but those pensions are gold. You wouldnt have much take home left if you were funding those babies.

There was a gombeen on the Frontline the other week saying that it was a good thing the pensions were funded on a pay as you go basis as there was no investment risk. It could only be made up in Ireland.
Report kavvie November 4, 2009 5:14 PM GMT
are we trying to drag us back into the dark ages?maybe we should go communist altogether?..wheres breshnev when u want him?!?!..
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:18 PM GMT
tony , do you think ps pensions should be optional ??
Report kavvie November 4, 2009 5:19 PM GMT
a lot of people would not pay pension if they had a choice..its compulsary
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:20 PM GMT
thats why i am asking kavvie
Report CailiniDeas8 November 4, 2009 5:20 PM GMT
A lot of people are stupid.

They were all telling me that they had property investments why would they need a pension.

Head in hands stuff.
Report kavvie November 4, 2009 5:21 PM GMT
whats ur point.people have no choice..u work. u pay pension!!
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:24 PM GMT
tony , i think many in the public sector would choose to opt out of their compulsary pensions in the ps if they had the option. Many believe they could make a better fist of looking after the contributions themselves , certainly a few i speak to anyway.
Report Tolmi November 4, 2009 5:24 PM GMT
If thats the case Tobywong everyone should take home the same pay for the same job regardless of their personal circumstances.
Report CailiniDeas8 November 4, 2009 5:25 PM GMT
they are idiots tobywong.
Report kavvie November 4, 2009 5:25 PM GMT
tolmi are you on something?
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:25 PM GMT
tomli , can you answer the question i asked trent above?
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:27 PM GMT
sorry, gomli , can you answer the question i asked trent above?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 4, 2009 5:39 PM GMT
Megabucks ?
Report tobywong. November 4, 2009 5:40 PM GMT
catch me , can u make a suggestion ?
Report Catch Me ifyoucan November 4, 2009 5:43 PM GMT
I have the other Jack in mind ;)
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 4, 2009 7:19 PM GMT
The problem is that if we didn't have child benefit the birth rate would reduce. We would then have an ageing population & we would have no young people to 'look after the elderly' as analysts put it.

Trent, i can't have this. You are saying if we didn't have child welfare, then the birth rate would drop. It might drop slightly but the idea it would drop in any major way is laughable. Most parents do not choose to have kids due to the child welfare, maybe some "lower class" do but most middle class parents do not...

The excuses i hear border on pathetic. The extinction of the Irish people and how elderly need looking after by the young of Ireland.
People need to take responsibility for themselves. Too many leaches expect the state to pay for their over inflated lifestyles.

You know people with 8 kids can get E1550 in welfare per month.

Now that is a complete pi55take
Report tumbles November 4, 2009 7:36 PM GMT
Diamond Joe, your getting all excited about social welfare fraud at the same time that the state - me and you that is - are bailing out a tiny group of s**to the tune of probably 100 billion - is a bit sad.

Wake up and smell the coffee my friend ;)
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 4, 2009 7:40 PM GMT
Whos being bailed?
Report ATC November 4, 2009 9:52 PM GMT
So you are saying Social Welfare fraud is someting to be tolerated because of what happened in the banking sector?
Report dc November 4, 2009 10:52 PM GMT
The current system is **kin insane.
Child 1 gets €166. Child 2 gets €166.

Children 3, 4, 5 etc get €203 each!

Where in the name of Jaysus is the logic in that!!?
Report moneypenny November 4, 2009 10:57 PM GMT
That one has always baffled me also. Would imagine the 3rd child onwards would be cheaper to maintain as one already has covered most of the start-up costs. Then again having stopped at two kids myself im probably biased
Report Trent Reznor November 5, 2009 10:27 AM GMT
Diamond Joe,
I agree there are flaws in the system.
Without child benefit those that breed responsibly won't breed.
Those that breed irresponsibly will continue to breed anyway.
Richard Dawkins said that off all the species that have populated the earth, humanity is the one best suited to survive extinction as we have such big brains & the human brain has increased in size since the origin of the species. As a species we are getting more intelligent.
In order for the human brain to get bigger, the more intelligent people should have more children.
He asked the question, 'Do the more intelligent people have more children?'
The audience & Ryan Tubridy answered 'No'.
Dawkins said that a natural evolutionary consequence of this is that human brain size will shrink, we will get less intelligent & eventually become extinct.

Tobywong,
I don't know what you are getting at.
Everyone who enters the public service knows how much money they are going to get at different stages of their career.
My wife works in the public service. I've applied for public service jobs & in every single one of them you received a table that should how much you would get at diffreent grades & after different levels of service.

The public service workers then decided that this wasn't enough, threatened all sorts of industrial action & as a result colluded with the FF administration to perpetrate one of the greatest fra.uds ever on the Irish taxpayers & called it benchmarking.
I don't recall a single dail deputy/senator calling it a fra.ud as they were in on it as well.

If I back a horse @ 5/2 I know I'm getting paid at 5/2 if it wins.
In this instance public sector workers decided 5/2 wasn't enough as someone else got 11/4 & they want 3/1.
It's not even as if the bookie is asking you to return the half point difference, it's just that in future 5/2 winners are settled @ 5/2.
Put simply, benchmarking should never have happened.
I know people have made financial commitments due to the bonanza that was benchmarking, but reversing benchmarking has to start somewhere.
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 9, 2009 9:50 PM GMT
Here we go, free loading mothers alert.

Free child care place doesn't work for me says one mother....
maybe because the cash isn't being placed straight into her purse to spend in pennys...
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 9, 2009 9:52 PM GMT
"That money was for my groceries and shopping".... :^0
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 9, 2009 9:56 PM GMT
whos this psycho?????
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 9, 2009 9:58 PM GMT
:^0 that was the funniest thing i've ever seen
Report badger's back November 9, 2009 10:05 PM GMT
:D
classic and i have it recorded :D

the planks face went white but still had that usual smug look
Report Diamond_Joe_Quimby November 9, 2009 10:06 PM GMT
youtube classic with a million hits on its way surely :^0