Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
JPSER
24 Jun 22 23:34
| Topic/replies: 1,065 | Blogger: JPSER's blog
about 10-20 years ago, used to own loads of horses. I think was a sheik? used to be purple body colours with I think white arms?

just sprung to mind and wondering what happened, and why we dont see those silks anymore?
Pause Switch to Standard View trying to recall an owner...
Show More
Report swiftynifty June 24, 2022 11:39 PM BST
if you mean maroon and white then I'm guessing you mean Sheikh Mohammed, in which case they generally now all run in the Godolphin blue.
Report JPSER June 24, 2022 11:42 PM BST
yes, maroon. its funny, I picture in my head the maroon and white silks, but i still wrote purple
Report JPSER June 24, 2022 11:45 PM BST
and you are correct, thanks
Report swiftynifty June 24, 2022 11:48 PM BST
they disappeared for years but did make a comeback about 5 years ago only to disappear again I think, certainly in UK. I loved them, a shame.
Report onlooker June 25, 2022 4:57 PM BST
"Purple, White Seams" - Still around - a lot .

Part of the -  D Smith, Mrs J Magnier, M Tabor  - Triumvirate ...

When they run in - Derrick Smith's Colours
-----------------

Example - Blackbeard - today - at the Curragh

https://www.rp-assets.com/png_silks/3/1/0/309013.png
Report penzance June 25, 2022 5:10 PM BST
Glorious Journey wore these silks last year.
Report swiftynifty June 25, 2022 5:14 PM BST
Can't say I ever remember Derrick Smith with a tea towel around his head.
Report elise June 25, 2022 5:20 PM BST
i thought the silks had been taken by one of his daughters in some new venture, but for me the first trainer i always associate them with is david loder, don't know why
Report Big Ern June 25, 2022 11:51 PM BST
Loder had them as 2 year olds always won first time out. For me will always associate those silks with Sir Henry and Indian Skimmer, Oh So Sharp and Belmez before Sheikh Mo went to the all blue of Godolphin
Report Big Ern June 25, 2022 11:51 PM BST
Loder had them as 2 year olds always won first time out. For me will always associate those silks with Sir Henry and Indian Skimmer, Oh So Sharp and Belmez before Sheikh Mo went to the all blue of Godolphin
Report monarch June 26, 2022 12:16 AM BST
Sheikh Mohammed kept those colours in use for the horses he had in training in Ireland, even post the establishment of Godolphin. John Oxx trained a horse in the early 2000s that won a few Curragh Cups in those silks. Something along the lines of Makuzi or Mukuzi.
Report CROPSICK June 26, 2022 9:25 AM BST
For me i femember seeing them first time on a horse called Severn Bore winning for Frankie Durr when he started training and trained a couple for Sheikh Mo.
Report sparrow June 26, 2022 9:46 AM BST
monarch 26 Jun 22 00:16 
Sheikh Mohammed kept those colours in use for the horses he had in training in Ireland, even post the establishment of Godolphin. John Oxx trained a horse in the early 2000s that won a few Curragh Cups in those silks. Something along the lines of Makuzi or Mukuzi.

Mkuzi won it for Oxx.
Report chavman June 26, 2022 9:53 AM BST
wasnt michael roberts the retained jockey for sheikh mo and those colours in the mid 80s....for about 3 months and they parted ways-must be one of the shortest retainers in history
Report lead on June 26, 2022 10:08 AM BST
I think that Lord Gosden had a lot to do with that,chav
Report elise June 26, 2022 10:31 AM BST
fairly sure dubai millennium ran in the maroon when with loder
Report geoff m June 26, 2022 10:53 AM BST
Yep im sure he did on  debut @ Yarmouth with Frankie on board Elise. Not sure  after that when he went to Bin Suroor.
Report elise June 26, 2022 11:04 AM BST
ive just found it on yt; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03AvZmzazJg  , sadly it's thommo ...
Report swiftynifty June 26, 2022 1:02 PM BST
I had my largest AP bet on him after that... for the derby obv!

So was Dettori officially retained by Sheikh Mo back in those days(in those colours)?
Report Cauthenmeister June 26, 2022 1:20 PM BST
I don't remember him being retained by Sheikh Mo, and particularly remember him wearing them on Barathea. That was due to his association with Cumani.
Report penzance June 26, 2022 1:21 PM BST
Think he was retained from 1994/95.
Report punchestown June 26, 2022 1:59 PM BST

-----------------------

Top weight or near top for years in sprint handicaps in Ireland you'd always see those silks on Oxx horses.They'd often put up a 7Lbs/10Lbs claimer up to try balance things out
Report punchestown June 26, 2022 2:03 PM BST
ive just found it on yt; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03AvZmzazJg  , sadly it's thommo ...

-------------------------

No lip smacking back then..LaughLaugh
Report elise June 26, 2022 2:12 PM BST
no, but there were plenty of the usual one liners tho lol
Report knot in wood June 26, 2022 2:17 PM BST
godolphin bought the now famous "blue" silks from former trainer alan bailey,apparently simon crisford phoned him up and offered £500.

alan was no fool and sold them for 26k.
Report Cauthenmeister June 26, 2022 2:20 PM BST
It's a interesting one Penzance. Godolphin were certainly in existence by 1995 but Frankie took over from Walter Swinburn on Lammtarra that year after the Derby, although that one ran in different colours again in the Sheikh's ownership. Pat had won the Leger on Moonax in 1994 as well in the maroon colours.
None of that proves you wrong, and you tend to be right far more often than me.
Report penzance June 26, 2022 2:34 PM BST
He rode Balachine 1994 Oaks for Godolphin and in
the 1995 Derby rode the 2nd behind Lammtarra, Tamure for Sheikh Mo.
Report Cauthenmeister June 26, 2022 2:37 PM BST
I should have remembered Balanchine in 1994 after all the discussion about Tuesday trying to emulate her yesterday.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com