Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ribero1
30 Dec 21 11:43
| Topic/replies: 10,489 | Blogger: ribero1's blog
Pumpkin no doubt seizes on poor ride in high profile race to get shut of him,guess he was always on borrowed time when Brooks sent them there.
Pause Switch to Standard View Sheehan loses Brooks rides.
Show More
Report sixtwosix December 30, 2021 1:50 PM GMT
Just read the drivel in the Mail , headline 'Sheehan pays price for King George flop'

What a load of nonsense .....how does a 25/1 shot place in a Grade 1 represent a flop ?

I thought he gave it a terrific ride.
The horse does not stay 3 miles and was never going to win just because he entered the straight going strongly.
There was a much worse ride in the race , if not two , but we can't go there can we ?

As for the trainer and owners .......................
Report tanglefoot December 30, 2021 1:57 PM GMT
Rides Valamix 3.45,trainer good record at track,has been coming in betting from 28/1 to around 12/1
Report differentdrum December 30, 2021 2:02 PM GMT
Someone thinks the weighing room will do him a favour, and/or the switch from good to heavy is going to produce plenty of improvement.
Report carrot1960 December 30, 2021 2:13 PM GMT
ockey Gavin Sheehan will no longer be on the horses owned by Andrew and Kate Brooks in the Paul Nicholls stable after he was criticised for his ride on third-placed Saint Calvados in the King George VI Chase at Kempton on Boxing Day.

Immediately after the King George, Nicholls said Sheehan had ridden a ‘strange race’ and was in front ‘10 minutes too soon’ after Saint Calvados jumped into the lead at the fourth-last fence.

Nicholls confirmed on Wednesday that from now on the Brooks-owned horses in his care would be ridden by one of his in-house team of riders, starting with novice hurdler Brave Kingdom who is partnered by Harry Cobden at Taunton (1.15) on Thursday.

Nicholls said: ‘I told Andrew I wanted my jockeys to be riding the five or six horses he has with me from now on and he said that was fine.

‘If one of my riders is not available, Gavin will be first choice. It is nothing against Gavin’s riding. I just prefer to use my jockeys, simple as that. It is better for the whole team if they are schooling the horses at home and riding them in the races.’
Sheehan had retained the rides on the Brooks horses which were transferred to Nicholls over the summer from the stable of Harry Whittington. They include Simply The Betts, who could run at Cheltenham on Saturday, and Rouge Vif.

Saint Calvados is likely to drop back in distance for his next start with the 2m 5f Grade One Ascot Chase in February pencilled in.
Report MJK December 30, 2021 2:19 PM GMT
Last season he was a jockey I was glad was on one I backed, particularly riding from the front. This season has seen a lot of poor rides from him unfortunately. Hope he finds his mojo again.
Report LoyalHoncho December 30, 2021 2:19 PM GMT
Another sane and accurate riposte to a media/forum anti-jockey rant by sixtwosix.
Thanks.  I agree fully with you.
Report LoyalHoncho December 30, 2021 2:20 PM GMT
sixtosix if we were on facebook I would be a follower.  Laugh
Report carrot1960 December 30, 2021 2:21 PM GMT
Nicholls runs horse over wrong distance , blames the jockey then announces the horse will be dropped back in distance for it's next run , to be ridden by a stable jockey and it's nothing against Sheehan despite Nicholls slagging him off after the horse's King George ride ! . well that's clear then
Report geoff m December 30, 2021 2:33 PM GMT
Absolute shocker in King George on a doubtfull stayer.
Report mrcombustible December 30, 2021 3:07 PM GMT
Nicholls lacks class. Nasty man
Report ribero1 December 30, 2021 3:32 PM GMT
Think Pumpkin blamed Sheehan's move for getting Clan out of his stride too,if he wanted Cobden & co to ride them,why didn't he tell Brooks when he sent the horses there?
Report lead on December 30, 2021 3:44 PM GMT
Nicholls has always been a bad loser and a rather embarrassing winner..needs to learn from Nicky in both respects
Report wroughtironronn December 30, 2021 5:05 PM GMT
Nicholls has a bad loser attitude - he's got rid of a few jocks in his time (as well as wives/girlfriends)
Report mrcombustible December 30, 2021 5:39 PM GMT
I saw him give Ruby a bollicking on the walkway back to the parade ring at Sandown, very nasty. It was the Tingle Creek involving Moscow Flyer and Well Chief
Report ribero1 December 30, 2021 5:50 PM GMT
If you believe Nicholls statement then surely he would be asking the McNeil's to dump Heskin on that basis? So it's obviously nonsense.
Report lead on December 30, 2021 5:59 PM GMT
reckon Brooks has been involved in the decision but letting the pumpkin take all the"credit"..Brooks gets carried away by horses ability and has extended that to other trainers and now his jockey
Report CROPSICK December 30, 2021 6:01 PM GMT
Nicholls = rank bad loser, always pleased when the Irish boys smash his superstars.
Report brendrew December 30, 2021 7:29 PM GMT
he does right...what goes round comes round...sheehan gave evidence in support of dunne as well..a penny for his thoughts.
Report duncan idaho December 30, 2021 7:48 PM GMT

sixtwosix  30 Dec 21 13:50

Just read the drivel in the Mail , headline 'Sheehan pays price for King George flop'

What a load of nonsense .....how does a 25/1 shot place in a Grade 1 represent a flop ?

I thought he gave it a terrific ride.
The horse does not stay 3 miles and was never going to win just because he entered the straight going strongly.
There was a much worse ride in the race , if not two , but we can't go there can we ?

'What a load of nonsense'
Report onlooker December 30, 2021 8:18 PM GMT
wroughtironronn  30 Dec 21 17:05 

Nicholls has a bad loser attitude - he's got rid of a few jocks in his time (as well as wives/girlfriends)
-----------

(as well as wives/girlfriends)  Grin

- and - don't get into too much of a twist - wroughtiron ronn.
Report Money On7 December 31, 2021 1:54 AM GMT
I Don't think Sheehan done a massive amount wrong,the horse led him to near the front once the front runners tired. you could of ride him 5 different ways from 4 out and he was still not getting near Tornando or Asterion. He may have well picked up Clan but we'll never know. Remember Brooks made the big deal about the 3 way photo at cheltenham 2 years ago with the same horse. I think he clearly likes the attention and really doesnt like the fact Sheehan was in Dunnes corner. Im sure if Bryony picks up the ride she will sure improve it after her own performance on Frodon.
Report Money On7 December 31, 2021 1:55 AM GMT
I Don't think Sheehan done a massive amount wrong,the horse led him to near the front once the front runners tired. you could of ride him 5 different ways from 4 out and he was still not getting near Tornando or Asterion. He may have well picked up Clan but we'll never know. Remember Brooks made the big deal about the 3 way photo at cheltenham 2 years ago with the same horse. I think he clearly likes the attention and really doesnt like the fact Sheehan was in Dunnes corner. Im sure if Bryony picks up the ride she will sure improve it after her own performance on Frodon.
3 times Surprised
Report Baz_Man December 31, 2021 10:59 AM GMT
Nicholls has stabbed more people in the back than jack the ripper...treats owners and jockeys like idiots and yet never short of new owners and his record as a jockey was not the best ..but do as I say or off you go seems to be his mantra.
Report GEORGE.B December 31, 2021 11:17 AM GMT
Amazing really, that after all these years when he's won all there is to win in the sport, been champion trainer multiple times, and presumably earned enough money to last him five lifetimes, he still loses his sh*t when things don't pan out as well as they might have.

You'd think he might have mellowed by now, but suppose in a way good to see that he's still got the fire in his belly.
Report racing6699 December 31, 2021 11:18 AM GMT
I think fair play. At the end of the day whether he is right or wrong him and the owners can decide what they want. At least PN has an opinion in the interests of getting best out of the horse in races. What's more bizarre is trainers who stick with useless jockeys who give shocker after shocker and do nothing to change the situation.
Report spyker December 31, 2021 11:47 AM GMT
In interviews pre race he basically said he thought his 2 could fight out the finish and barely mentioned SC.The fact it started at 25's and wasn't really backed says that no-one (in stable) really thought it would run to a place, yet it did. He prob did get there a fence or 2 too soon but whose to say if he'd waited that SC had anything left and the fact he is probably going to move down in trip next time speaks volumes. Not sure the horse finds anything much at whatever trip it runs at. One could say its a deflection tactic to hide BF's appalling ride and is a taste of the future regarding criticism of her from now on but surely that wouldn't be the case?.
Report MJK December 31, 2021 12:18 PM GMT
Bar Ruby his choices for stable jockey haven't exactly been inspired. Maybe he should remember that before criticising anyone else.
Report punchestown December 31, 2021 3:58 PM GMT
Hard man to work for I'd say when you look at the list of those who tried to,seems like it's never the horses not being good enough or his workmanship that's ever called into question and the person on top will always take the fall,having said that it wasn't Sheehan's finest hour.
Report Chadfan December 31, 2021 5:28 PM GMT
Was Sheehan one of the jocks to support Dunne?
Don't think PN likes his loyal stable jockeys being criticised.
Maybe Scu or Nico will give it a go with him?
I suspect PN gave Sheehan direct orders which he ignored. Hence the heave ho.
Quite like Sheehan as a jockey all the same, and he did finish 3rd on an outsider.
Report GEORGE.B December 31, 2021 5:33 PM GMT
I'm just an outsider looking in here, but it seems it's not about the finishing position SC, but rather that he ended up inadvertently doing a 'Golden Freeze' on the stablemate(s)?
Report GEORGE.B December 31, 2021 5:33 PM GMT
* of SC
Report brendrew December 31, 2021 9:29 PM GMT
good point george b-should have tried that race winning move after the last not 3/4 from home.
Report acey deucy December 31, 2021 9:48 PM GMT
Sums Nicholls right up....Big ignorant **** of a man.
Report geoff m January 1, 2022 9:13 AM GMT
anyone who thinks Sheehan did nowt wrong should give up the sport.

No dont give up . Carry on especially betting in running.
Report brendrew January 1, 2022 11:55 AM GMT
might be tough decision but it is why he has been at the top for the decades.
Report 1st time poster January 1, 2022 12:07 PM GMT
so pumpkin wants either frost who rode suicidal race in KG OR COBBDEN who thought sheenan was riding such a shoite race he followed him through,
got it i think
out of his 3 horses in the race sacks the bloke who beforehand would have been delighted where they finished as compared to 2 better fancied stablemates
Report acey deucy January 1, 2022 12:11 PM GMT
Exactly !!
Report spyker January 1, 2022 12:28 PM GMT
unless of course the plan was for frost to deliberately set a suicidal pace and set the race up for SC to come there at the last but team tactics aren't allowed so it couldn't be that......
Report in hell January 1, 2022 12:32 PM GMT
Pretty average jockey and has rode some shockers lately. Nicholls was spot on
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com