Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
differentdrum
25 Oct 21 15:27
| Topic/replies: 13,621 | Blogger: differentdrum's blog
Worst in history? A chance to win £50,000+ with no Irish entries to spoil the party. This used to be the first Gold Cup trial.

And you will always get trainers waffling on about there not being enough opportunities for good horses. Well where are they?
Pause Switch to Standard View Charlie Hall Entries
Show More
Report sixtwosix October 25, 2021 4:08 PM BST
Not exactly Wayward Lad , One Man or Burrough Hill Lad.....simply keep your elite chaser unbeaten for the season by keeping it in a stable all year.
Report ribero1 October 25, 2021 4:14 PM BST
I live a couple of miles away and although plenty of rain about in the west it appears by no means certain to get this far east,there's decent prize money over both days but I fear plenty of small fields no doubt highlighted by the customary 2-3 runner novice chase on the Friday with nearly 15k added.
Report Manoleeds October 25, 2021 5:08 PM BST
Antepost odds have Cyrname at 11/8 f which has to be a leap of faith given the two pulled ups though of course he won the race last year. You can only get 2 places ew suggesting not all will go to post.
Report penzance October 25, 2021 5:17 PM BST
8 declared,if they're not willing to lay E/W 3plcs,
they should'nt have a book until the race day decs.
Report sixtwosix October 25, 2021 5:22 PM BST
Cyrname to beat this lot and be compared to 'himself' again with a rating of 184 ........
Report jimnast October 25, 2021 6:09 PM BST
Shocking entries I couldn’t believe what I saw
Report Hibore October 25, 2021 6:19 PM BST
Henderson is sending Chantry to Sandown and Champ to Betfair Chase.

Unfortunately there aren’t that many top chasers either side if the pond at the moment.
Report Davy Jones October 25, 2021 6:24 PM BST
the intermediate chase run the following day has stolen most of this field, at least 6 of the horses entered there should be running at Wetherby, too many similar races.
Report Whippin Piccadilly October 25, 2021 7:08 PM BST
You do realise there's a 3 Mile grade 1 in Ireland on the same day, right? The Irish have their race schedule and we have ours. This isn't going to change anytime soon and I don't think it should.
Report tony6499 October 25, 2021 7:28 PM BST
Surprised Sadik hasn't entered something as there will be some easy prize money up for grabs. Even with no Irish runners surely they can make up a better field than this ?
Report sixtwosix October 25, 2021 7:49 PM BST
Some previous quality lineups ......mind they are all from a different century

1993 Barton Bank beat Garrison Savannah , Jodami , Tipping Tim and Sibton Abbey
1994 Young Hustler beat Barton Bank(clear when falling ....not for the last time) , Cogent  , Black Humour , Young Hustler , and Run For Free
1996 One Man beat Barton Bank , Scotton Banks and Young Hustler
1997 One Man beat Barton Bank
1983 Wayward Lad beat Royal Judgement and Ashley House
1984 Burrough Hill Lad beat Wayward Lad and Donegal Prince
1986 Forgive 'n Forget beat Cybrandian and Wayward Lad
1992 Tipping Tim beat Pat's Jester , Cool Ground , Kildimo and Cahervillow
1999 See  More Business beat Looks Like Trouble and Simply Dashing
Report sageform October 25, 2021 8:32 PM BST
this kind of post happens nearly every day lately. The problem is going, not just on course but for training. Not many top class jumpers are ready yet. Cyrname will need to run really badly to get beaten.
Report jimnast October 26, 2021 7:09 AM BST
1984 it does not get much better than that.
Report sixtwosix October 26, 2021 10:12 AM BST
93 not too shabby ....2 Gold Cup Winners ,
Report sixtwosix October 26, 2021 10:16 AM BST
93 not too shabby ...

2 Gold Cup winners
1 King George winner
1 Mackeson Gold Cup winner
1 Hennessy Gold Cup winner

This year ....a horse who beat an under par Altior and pulled up in a King George as a short priced favourite.
Report jimnast October 26, 2021 10:34 AM BST
Indeed 93 very good but the two lads were on a different planet to the 93 runners.
Report sixtwosix October 26, 2021 10:42 AM BST
I agree
Report jimnast October 26, 2021 10:47 AM BST
I still hope and think that one day wayward lad will win a gold cup and el gran senor will win that derby.
Report sixtwosix October 26, 2021 10:50 AM BST
I still hope Crisp will hold on ........

Wayward Lad would have won the Gold Cup ,but the 5 pound nonsense in a Championship race put paid to it.
Report jimnast October 26, 2021 10:54 AM BST
Yes good call with crisp however I do wonder if the grand national would still be around the way it is now if crisp had of held on.
Report sageform October 26, 2021 2:33 PM BST
And Cima the Champion Hurdle. The first Grade 1 in history decided by a mares allowance.
Report irishone October 26, 2021 8:00 PM BST
There are just as many top chasers in Ireland as there have ever been. Look at their record in last years Cheltenham festival, or does that not count because the British didnt turn up ?
Report ribero1 October 27, 2021 12:25 PM BST
Decent card Friday and they've even got 5 in the novice chase! although maybe should add "at the moment".
Report Manoleeds October 27, 2021 12:56 PM BST
Tony Calvin says in his ante post column today "All firms are understandably betting to only two places for each-way terms".

Why "understandably" -if all go to post there will be 3 places on the day -and if any pull out , the layer will have those horses win and place money.
Report LoyalHoncho October 27, 2021 3:34 PM BST
Same here, I still will him on up that hill!
A mate reminded me that when Dickinson left for the States the only horse he took with him was the Lad.  Shows how much he thought of him.
Report Jinxy1 October 29, 2021 6:39 PM BST
Is Cyrname really odds against?
Report sixtwosix October 29, 2021 7:51 PM BST
Presumably the 2 successive pulled ups are the reason.

flat track bully , he will win again imo.
Report G Hall October 29, 2021 10:28 PM BST
I concur regarding Cyrname, think it will win tomorrow.
Report jimnast October 30, 2021 7:09 AM BST
haldon gold cup entries also poor.
Report Gordon63 October 30, 2021 8:46 AM BST
in late 80s/90s I used to stay with my friends father in sunderland and go to Charlie Hall, sometimes also the friday meeting when I think there was a listed novice chase (usually won by W A Stephenson) in addition to the wensleydale for juveniles.  there was always a buzz on the way and on the track itself, I doubt any of today's runners will excite in the same way as Barton Bank, Young Hustler, One Man or See More Business. Not sure if this is part of the general decline in the chasing domain in UK or a continuation of the slide down the table of Wetherby racecourse itself e.g. Castleford Chase, however in spite of this, the meeting brings back many happy memories and hopefully top rated Cyrname wins otherwise I'd say the Grade 2 status will be in question in not too distant future.
Report Gordon63 October 30, 2021 8:51 AM BST
just remembered one of my highlights of going to charlie hall chase day was a fairly large bet on berude not to when it won the novice hurdle at ascot, unfortunately I gave it all back and more (!) when jamie osborne managed to get it beat a head in the sun alliance, still one of my largest losing bets!!
Report jimnast October 30, 2021 9:04 AM BST
i think it was putty road gordon who beat him at the festival.
Report brians October 30, 2021 10:37 AM BST
It has been raining very heavily here in Yorkshire with more forecast today. Wetherby will be like a quagmire. I think the race will be more like a 4 mile chase. This brings in Mighty Thunder , who has won over extreme distances including the Scottish Grand National. Has to be an outsider each way at 33/1 . 6s to be placed in first 3 on Betfair. I can see several not finishing and this one plugging on.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com