Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
harry callaghan
03 Oct 21 17:48
| Topic/replies: 6,340 | Blogger: harry callaghan's blog
Improving Irish trainer, formally a 6% trainer for most of his career
Prix de abbaye winner today whom he got off another former 6% trainer John mcconnell.
Interesting improvement from his horses, maybe new facilities, fair play to him
Pause Switch to Standard View Adrian mcguiness
Show More
Report Eddie Batt October 3, 2021 6:18 PM BST
You have issues with anger and negativity Harry.
Report slickster October 3, 2021 6:37 PM BST
Personally I think it's a fantastic batch of magic parsnips.
Report penzance October 3, 2021 6:42 PM BST
the Parsnip Platoon,they still going Laugh
Report vantastic54 October 3, 2021 7:06 PM BST
aidan trained a horse for us a few years back.At no stage did he discuss doping  our horse to improve its performance.He was completely honest at all stages of the horses stay in his stables.The horse had an issue.We found a home for the horse in Denmark of all places and there was a happy ending.Aidan changed his strategy a number of years ago regarding the purchase of better stock and its paying off.Im not Aidans friend or family member but i think its wrong to casually insinuate corrupt practices because somebody had a big winner.
Report penzance October 3, 2021 7:09 PM BST
Bang on.
Well said.
Report slickster October 3, 2021 7:21 PM BST
I sincerely hope your not his friend or a family member. You don't even know his name ffs. It's ADRIAN or ADO. Not Aidan. Guys a tin pot trainer and I hope the French boys test every hair on that horse for magic turnips.
Report vantastic54 October 3, 2021 8:01 PM BST
Im sure  he will be tested as per normal procedures.It does not change the premise of my post Slickster.
Report cloone river October 4, 2021 9:44 PM BST
When they got the horse he was rated 108 Harry.He didnt have to improve him to much.His run at the curragh was some run.They is a good clip here Harry that is well worth watching from the 46 minute on that may answer some of peoples questions re Irish racing.The whole clip is worth a watch.
Report cloone river October 4, 2021 9:45 PM BST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktk_BwfhxM
Report Carveth October 5, 2021 11:29 AM BST
Just watched the Off The Ball (OTB) Youtube video. The discussion focused exclusively on National Hunt racing so I’m not sure how these opinions apply to flat racing. In the 1980s Ireland rarely won handicap races at Cheltenham (1 in 1987, 1 in 1988, none in 1989 and 2 in 1990). Since those days there has been government backing for horse racing in Ireland, better prize money and therefore not surprisingly Ireland is buying the better horses.

The fact that Ireland has done so well at Cheltenham can also be partly attributed to the handicapping systems in the two countries. In mainland Britain the average field size in just over seven in handicaps whilst the equivalent figure in Ireland is three times the size. In both jurisdictions the handicapper tends to raise the ratings of the first two to three finishers irrespective of field size. So, in mainland Britain the ratings of three times as many horses get raised because of the smaller field sizes. Sandy Shaw, the Irish handicapper, said in Ireland they are also more likely to drop the ratings of horses that perform less well in their big field handicaps. In mainland Britain 81% of chases are handicaps whereas in Ireland the figure is only 57% (the figures for handicap hurdles are 57% and 40% respectively). In mainland Britain there are more opportunities to get horses onto their correct mark faster than in Ireland due to the higher percentage of handicap races here.

By the time you reach Cheltenham mainland British horses will often be handicapped closer to their true mark whereas proportionately more Irish horses will not. Sandy Shaw referenced one race at Cheltenham where the Irish horses finished 1st, 3rd and 5th and the mainland British horses finished 2nd, 4th, and 6th. The three Irish horses had only raced in four handicaps between them in total prior to Cheltenham whereas the mainland British horses had raced in 21 handicaps.

Happy for others to chip in with their thoughts and/or corrections if I have misinterpreted something from the video.
Report cacique October 5, 2021 11:51 AM BST
So effectively
Because of the big field size in Ireland, the horses that are not trying can come mid div and still get a row of duck eggs..... handicap mark remains the same or goes down.

And in the UK they don't try and will come in 6th or 7th, and if there are fallers(multiple) they could come in 3rd or 4th..... handicap mark goes up.
Report Carveth October 5, 2021 12:46 PM BST
My sense from what Sandy Shaw was saying is that he keeps a close eye on trainers trying to game the system. The fact they have fewer handicaps than in mainland Britain might impact on the handicapper’s ability to get near the horse’s true mark early in its handicapping career.

It’s very much an experience-based profession that considers many different factors, and you keep adding to your knowledge bank as time goes on. I suspect the handicapper, on both sides of the Irish Sea, wouldn’t raise the rating of a horse who finished third only because several horses fell in front of them especially if they were a long way behind the first two finishers.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com