Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
DIFERENT GRAVY 12
15 Aug 21 10:34
| Topic/replies: 4,069 | Blogger: DIFERENT GRAVY 12's blog
A sad day for this forumite Cry

Todays thoughts, all picks are based purely on trainers being creatures of habit.

Bleuet 2.10  @14-1   speculative but like jockey booking(Probert stuck in France)

Professor Galant 3.20  @8-1  surely prepared for this

Macmerry Jim 3.55  @11-4   will hopefully outclass these

Sociologist 4.30  @5-1   trainer would love a winner today, hopefully its this one

Lucky15 and singles on last 3 all BOG thanks to a bètfrèd shop.
Pause Switch to Standard View RIP fibresand
Show More
Report .Marksman. August 15, 2021 11:39 AM BST
1:35 With the exception of one win at Goodwood, all of Red Stripes wins (13) have been at Southwell AW or Chelmsford (which is the artificial surface that most resembles Southwell, due to the kickback and the bias against deep closers).  Since his layoff he has been kept away from his favoured surfaces and, with a gap of only 5 days since his last run, he should be primed to run his best today.
You can't get away with being only partially fit on this surface.

2:45 Velocitar has 2 wins on this surface (half her wins) and comes here after a run 3 days ago (which should have her at peak fitness).  3yo in form and could be on upgrade.  Dark Shot is a one time course winner, but has had several defeats here, and at 8yo has less potential than Velocitar, who is the selection.
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 15, 2021 12:00 PM BST
Thanks Marksmen

When looking at the cards and prices last night I couldn't believe 365 were 33s on Red Stripes. Some idiot on here backed it down to 6.6 about 9pm last night, sadly I have had no access to 365 for 10 years or I would have had a tenner ew with them. As you say it will be ready for this, whether it will is debatable but will be trying for sure.
Most of my bets at Southwell are on horses that have ran unplaced within 11 days, some trainers are mustard at pulling this off time after at the track.
Report HallGreenSpy August 15, 2021 12:33 PM BST
Red Stripes already been highlighted. Only one of interest for me back on it's favoured surface for the last time. Alas, I missed the 33-1 but am happy enough with 16/1 first 5 at 365. Ran quite well at ffos couple of runs back. Be disappointed if not in the frame here. GL.
Report salmon spray August 15, 2021 12:38 PM BST
Another blow to industry in a relatively deprived northern(ish) area. Fibresand was provided by a company in nearby Mansfield. Where's Bozo ?
Report metro john August 15, 2021 12:56 PM BST
Thought Foad had a good e/w chance
Report Virgin August 15, 2021 1:05 PM BST
Red Stripes Cry denied me a massive payout here 6.5 years ago @ 6f

That aside 3 wins from last 50 runs would point to him being on the downgrade Confused

Classified Stakes race - I make him 12Ibs wrong (allowing other jockey claims)

Good Luck .....

Can't really say I ever got a grip of Fibresand Blush
Report metro john August 15, 2021 1:15 PM BST
Marve must go close today!
Report The Management August 15, 2021 1:30 PM BST
It was fun while it lasted. I have some great memories of horses that were prolific on the surface like China CastleLove. More recently it has provided opportunities for some right old dodge-pots that probably wouldn't have ever won a race were it not for the Fibresand - even Model Guest Love finally got a race on the board at Southwell.

Genuinely looking forward to the racing there on a new surface and undoubtedly it will improve the quality of horses at the track - but still the end of an era.Sad
Report Virgin August 15, 2021 1:39 PM BST
HallGreenSpy WD 4th Grin
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 15, 2021 1:46 PM BST
Stripes run about right, early prices all wrong
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 August 15, 2021 3:26 PM BST
Bleuet very slowly away, never nearer 5th
Prof Galant, jockey nearly fell off at start

Sometimes it just doesnt go your way, presume something similar awaits the next two Cry
Report angrybryan August 15, 2021 3:56 PM BST
To the management.I too will miss the place largely because if you stuck exclusively to Southwell form and did your own speed figures you could usually end up in front on the year. One of the strangest days racing I have ever had occurred there.Picture the scene,Southwell absolutely packed to the rafters the biggest crowd by some margin I have ever seen there.What was happening I wondered as I walked,in is Frankel runnning?. No it was some absolute rag having its 106th race without once winning.My memory ain't great but it was possibly called Amrula ?.Only the English could go potty about an eddie the Eagle type horse which had no talent.No wonder the rest of humanity think the English as a tad eccentric.
Report stu August 15, 2021 4:14 PM BST
Last fibresand race coming up at 4.30

We'll be able to say we were there to see it. Sad
Report .Marksman. August 15, 2021 4:27 PM BST
So is King Viktor owned by "Koo", who used to post a rags to riches story on here to impress potential members of his racing club (which had horses with Brian Ellison and raced in these green and brown colours)?
Report Koo.... August 15, 2021 4:57 PM BST
yes
Report sparrow August 15, 2021 5:35 PM BST
Grin
Report .Marksman. August 15, 2021 6:33 PM BST
I'd away from here for 9 years, Koo, and I thought you had gone too!  And you are a breeder too!  Well done!
Report Virgin August 15, 2021 8:30 PM BST
Just like the old days Blush

Triple Jaye 4-1 > 10-3 second visit (0 from 10 previous)
Mystic Wells 7-1 > 9-4 AW / Fibresand debut
Praxeology 10-1 > 6-1 7f Southwell winner now 2/2 @ Southwell
Fossos 4-1 > 5-1 Fibresand debut / half-brother to a Fibresand winner
Illies Memories 12-1 > 18-1 Fibresand debut (0 from 9 previous)
Lord Torranaga 6-1 > 12-1 first visit (although had French Fibresand win)

Placepot: £66.20
Going: FIBRESAND: STANDARD Laugh (Watered)
Weather conditions: Sunny intervals
Wind: Moderate half behind
Total Non-Runners: 1
Report chavman August 15, 2021 8:37 PM BST
Noticed some sort of correlation between the Stef kenirey and Brian Ellison trained horses Koo
Report stewarty b August 15, 2021 8:53 PM BST
Going: FIBRESAND: STANDARD Laugh (Watered)

Believe it or not but when some of these AW courses are hit with heavy rain the ground actually firms up. Or technically speaking the ground 'compacts'.
Report Virgin August 15, 2021 9:16 PM BST
stewarty b yes I was Laugh @ today's times
Report The Knight August 15, 2021 10:30 PM BST
Well said angrybrian.

So many complain about Southwell, yet what you said is totally correct. Speed figures and Southwell form were the keys to winning at this track.

With all racing I firmly believe that the further you move away from considering what a horse has done on the track the further you move away from winning. Trying to read trainers is impossible to begin with, as they mostly don't really know what will happen. And at Southwell that counted more than at anywhere else.

I was there today but impossibly packed because it was Ladies Day. (The dress style of thousands of young girls meant I should have worn blinkers, but still would have ended up needing to be gelded anyway!!) Picked up on the first two races and then went home before becoming distracted that bit too much.

I did leave a bet on Sociologist to place in the first 4 in the last and that came up, as well. But had a bookie offered a price about that horse finishing exactly 4th I would have jumped at it. It has a very poor wins to runs record but regularly hits the frame, including 4th place.

Watching the replay tonight his race showed one of the reasons why I quickly came to love Southwell after joining as a member there eight years ago.

As the field hit the second last bend four had broken clear, including Sociologist. It was very clear that only an accident would stop the horse making the first 4, although he was never going to win.

I've stood for years now at the track watching similar races where a profit was virtually locked in a long, long way out - unlike Lingfield where the amount of horses that finish from the rear still astounds me. I do hope the new surface at Suvvers will not see finishes like that become the normal!

So, RIP Fibresand. Another blow to the diversity that UK horse racing can boast.
Report smirnoff2therescue August 15, 2021 10:55 PM BST
me mate summed up todays card at Southwell by saying the only way to win at gamblimg was to lay the shorties here and at the dogLaughLaughLaughs

My best retort was to say that the only way to win at punting was to stop gambling
Report swiftynifty August 15, 2021 10:59 PM BST
looks like we've got to wait until November for the next bit of proper sand racing.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com