Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
wingerwanger
21 Jul 21 16:10
| Topic/replies: 5 | Blogger: wingerwanger's blog
Part One of the four part interview is live. https://www.starsportsbet.co.uk/bettingpeople-terry-ramsden/
Pause Switch to Standard View Terry Ramsden #BettingPeople
Show More
Report cardifffc July 21, 2021 4:40 PM BST
watch 10 mins of the first one ..knocked it off....he is a big headed git
Report jamesdean July 21, 2021 4:49 PM BST
Should be worth a watch, thanks for posting
Report dr . atkins July 21, 2021 4:52 PM BST
got some great stories but when you done 100 million and went skint that's all they are stories rather still have the money
Report sludge July 21, 2021 5:13 PM BST
I found it very entertaining. Very much looking forward to the next 3 parts.
Report acey deucy July 21, 2021 5:21 PM BST
I loved the guys style but another mug at the end of the Day.
Report acey deucy July 21, 2021 5:22 PM BST
How many Millions did he lose on the gee gees?
Report wingerwanger July 21, 2021 5:54 PM BST
Ha ha I see this forum hasn't changed much!
Report FOYLESWAR July 21, 2021 6:01 PM BST
top bloke and great interview ,crab him all ya like but who wouldnt have swapped places with him in those days ? not many! ok he has had  good days and bad days but better to have had it and the fun spending it than not having it!
Report second again July 21, 2021 6:01 PM BST
When he had money he gave some to Bliss,a charity for premature babies.As my twin girls were in incubators about that time(35 years ago) I was always grateful for his donations.
Report themightymac July 21, 2021 6:10 PM BST
He always struck me as a generous guy and second again`s post confirms that.

Must be worse ending up skint after having millions.

It was rumoured that he used to bet in hundreds of thousands with the red firm.

Do you think he would pass an affordability check if he were betting now Crazy

Good luck to the guy.
Report themightymac July 21, 2021 6:12 PM BST
... I meant pass an affordability check if they had been in place back then.
Report cardifffc July 21, 2021 6:15 PM BST
very modest with his 195 IQ
Report Lee Ho Fooks July 21, 2021 6:17 PM BST
That must have been a help to the prison library
Report dr . atkins July 21, 2021 6:18 PM BST
people it seems like to see people like terry ramsden and nick leeson as cult heroes but they lost everything yes having a great time doing it but lost it all ladbrokes did not give him a direct line for nothing lol.me a like to see people in this game who started out with nothing got the money
BUT still have the money they are the people i want to learn from it will be very good value the podcast but terry ramsden only answered the questions he wanted to answer that it seems was the condition giving the interview.it seems that wingerwanger don't like some of the replies my answer to that don't put the thread up for people to watch simple really
Report Ramruma July 21, 2021 10:08 PM BST
An odd interview.

The interviewer asks crass and inane questions, which Ramsden ignores to tell his own story.
Report ItsMeSwaddle July 21, 2021 10:19 PM BST
Simon the rest of the series is miles better, some great pieces of work in there.
Report jonjon July 21, 2021 10:21 PM BST
There’s a YouTube video akin to the Findlay one done in 97/98.

Ffs he’s betting place and show in America and giving it large to the camera that he bet ‘the winner ‘

IQ 195 ??  Maybe. Cos anyone I’ve met with intelligence that high is a ****g deluded sociopath.

And our Tel certainly is one.
Report penzance July 21, 2021 10:31 PM BST
see that meself a while ago,were'nt he living in
a hotel or motel?
Report ballyregan July 21, 2021 10:33 PM BST
kelvin his accountant one backing the shorties
Report howard July 22, 2021 12:49 PM BST
Stephen Little suggested " If you can get on with Ladbrokes you don't want to be on "
Report wingerwanger July 22, 2021 4:42 PM BST
Not at all worried about the replies that aren't complimentary I forgot how much fun it was on here. makes twitter look like a playground. I'm not sure why my title is wingerwanger on here either ha ha I must have been boozing at the time. I'm not sure about the 'Inane' and 'Crass' questions either,I hardly ask any, it's not meant to be Paxman but entertaining. Anyway, thanks for all the comments good or bad.
Report acey deucy July 22, 2021 4:46 PM BST
Shocked
Report duffy July 22, 2021 5:02 PM BST
Try and get Matt Tombs, would like to listen to him.
Report johnwayne July 22, 2021 5:02 PM BST
staggered people on here cant relate to terry. so many bitter people
Report duffy July 22, 2021 5:25 PM BST
johnwayne 22 Jul 21 16:02 
staggered people on here cant relate to terry. so many bitter people

Couldn't agree more, 30 years ago people would regard the likes of Findlay and Ramsden as heroes, but these days many are too busy drowning in their spreadsheets and trading tools and just can't relate to this type of gambler.
Report Ramruma July 22, 2021 5:43 PM BST
@themightymac -- the interview talks about £200k+ bets with Ladbrokes. As for affordability checks, Ramsden was easily worth £150 million which he'd made in the City trading Japanese warrants.

Sorry for offending @wingerwanger by dissing his questions.

Part two is online now btw.
Report ballyregan July 22, 2021 5:45 PM BST
how much is terry worth now
Report workrider July 22, 2021 5:48 PM BST
I must say I enjoyed both pieces, Terry a little long winded but still of huge interest , can't wait to hear the real story re him v Stein . Some magical moments and you could still see what it meant to him as he spoke about the secret gallop. Mick Ryan must have been some drinking partner...
Report FOYLESWAR July 22, 2021 6:28 PM BST
many dont like  harry findlay or terry ramsden ,to me they are top blokes coming from humble backgrounds and most would love to have their lives in their heyday  ,to these stuck up arsholes   they are the "cockney jack the lad" types they think have no   right to be succesfull  and have money , it rankles with them ! how can these lower class  wide boys who went to comprehensive schools and had working class backgrounds be succesfull ? its a fookin liberty these types should be in the gutter where they belong !  best of luck tel and harry.
Report workrider July 22, 2021 6:40 PM BST
Foyleswar, I always liked Harry and his sense of humour , didn't hear Terry that often so not up to speed on him, but i fully agree with you. I also love to see the working class doing well especially in this game..
Report penzance July 22, 2021 6:44 PM BST
Ramsden always came across as someone with a
big chip on his shoulder.
Report doorman99 July 22, 2021 7:57 PM BST
Loving it, great entertainment.
Report G Hall July 23, 2021 12:29 AM BST
Really enjoyed the first two parts, can't wait for the rest.
Report Ramruma July 23, 2021 4:17 AM BST
Part 3 is up and the action moves to Cheltenham.
Report roadrunner46 July 23, 2021 7:52 AM BST
197 IQ and buys a company with 18k turnover and following year 3.5 billion turnoverLaugh this guy is a genius
Report GAZO July 23, 2021 8:05 AM BST
everybody is a genius when things are going right,you find out the real genius by what they do when things are going wrong
Report ladycarla July 23, 2021 9:49 AM BST
Thanks for posting, great stories Cool
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 10:48 AM BST
guys if havent already i reccomend you watch most if not all the "betting people " articles great insight and you can learn an awfull lot form these guys especially the guys who have give up the day jobs and turned pro,took me about 2 or 3 days to watch most of them and watched them again just to make sure i ingested it all ,tipsters ,pros and traders ,bookies, sports bettors the lot  theres even 4 films from a compulsive gambler to watch .great and highly reccomended .
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 10:49 AM BST
watch all the betting people films on youtube^^^^^^^
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 10:55 AM BST
the fella rich hallsall  who backs  the greyhounds is very good and has some good points ,even tho i dont back dogs seriously i found it very good
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 10:59 AM BST
theres a series by this  forums  own "anorak " alan potts ............top series of films from anorak,paul kealy ,andy holding,mark holder etc.
Report ronnie rails July 23, 2021 11:02 AM BST
Rammo did things in a very big way, does any old racecourse regular remember his minder Wayne, what a size he was as Tell says his guys were 6 foot 7 plus and 25 stone those days seem a lifetime ago.just thinking in a couple of months it will be 25 years since another good guy did his money at Ascot.he  can still hear the bell as the horses swing into the straight in the last.

hope you are well Gal

regards

Ronnie.
Report acey deucy July 23, 2021 11:09 AM BST
Watched the first two parts yesterday and loved it.
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 11:13 AM BST
wiltshire ron?
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 11:19 AM BST
confidence or lack of it plays a   massive part ,great if you are on a winning run but how do you react to a losing run?
Report ronnie rails July 23, 2021 11:21 AM BST
Foyleswar

correct

can you believe its nearly 25 years, he looks better today than he as ever looked.
have a good day
regards

Ronnie.
Report acey deucy July 23, 2021 11:22 AM BST
Terry Ramsden.
Report acey deucy July 23, 2021 11:22 AM BST
Terry Ramsden.
Report ItsMeSwaddle July 23, 2021 11:45 AM BST

Jul 23, 2021 -- 4:55AM, FOYLESWAR wrote:

the fella rich hallsall

Report ItsMeSwaddle July 23, 2021 11:45 AM BST
Posts on greyhound forum as Czechbet is friendly.
Report FOYLESWAR July 23, 2021 11:49 AM BST
thanks swaddle as i say havent got into the dogs but he seems to know his stuff ,will have a look on the doggie forum.
Report dr . atkins July 23, 2021 12:10 PM BST
After 3 parts it reminds me of a Walt Disney film
Report Bindaree July 23, 2021 2:30 PM BST
I'll always remember Terry Ramsden from many years ago. I worked casually for a bookie back then and we went to Windsor for a Saturday evening meeting. The bookie I worked for went to the bar and had a drink with Alan Bailey who he knew well. This bookie rarely gave tips but he came back and told me there was a horse running for the first time (2 year old) at Ripon in a seller on Monday and to have "a few quid on it". The horse was Cry For The Clown and the words that my friend relayed from Alan Bailey was "it should never be in a seller but Terry wants to run it in it". Horse had the worse draw I think and was 20-1 in the morning and I think it was still something like 10-1 SP but not sure of that. It won by 5 lengths and they had to go to a then record price to buy it back. It won a listed race either next time out or the race after. Peter Bloomfield, who at the time was an apprentice I believe, rode the horse. My bookie friend told me later that Ramsden bought Bloomfield a BMW or Merc as a present.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 23, 2021 3:04 PM BST
From a thread on here a few years ago:

Me: The luckiest bookmaker alive must have been Michael Geraghty, who not only had Ramsden as a punter, but actually got paid too.

Ladbrokes weren't so lucky. He knocked them for fortunes, then went bleating to the press when they wouldn't pay him the return on a cash yankee he'd had in one of their shops.

noidea19 Feb 16 19:53Joined: 29 Apr 03 | Topic/replies: 880 | Blogger: noidea's blog

Paul, When I worked for the rancid firm I was given the task of telling him he wasn't getting paid, not only was he not getting paid, he couldn't have a bet against his winnings. Fortunately for me he didn't turn up to collect. He was punting in cash because his credit had been stopped, but they would still lay him crazy bets. He was punting over a monkey in forecasts and tricasts on each dog race while he was sorting out his horse bets for the afternoon.
Report workrider July 23, 2021 6:29 PM BST
Wow just looked back at Brunicos Race, how unlucky was that!
Report Ramruma July 23, 2021 9:14 PM BST
Brunico ridden by Dermot Browne. Knowing what we know now...?
Report workrider July 23, 2021 10:37 PM BST
My thoughts exactly Ramruma...
Report Ramruma July 24, 2021 4:29 AM BST
Part 4 is up and takes us to Mr Snugfit in the Grand National.
Report Ramruma July 24, 2021 4:33 AM BST
Mick Easterby's take on Mr Snugfit has links to videos of both Grand Nationals.
http://www.mickeasterby.co.uk/racehorses/racehorse_racehorsehof.cfm?racehorse_id=1230
Report Davros July 24, 2021 8:51 AM BST
How can somebody become so unsufferable after such a short time watching.
Report sludge July 24, 2021 9:26 AM BST
Unsufferable or not ( and i do get where you are coming from ) , i still enjoyed it.
Report know all July 24, 2021 10:46 AM BST
that was great, what a clever man his brain works differently to most peoples, the best on the series betting people the chancers and made up pro gamblers you can see through most of them but they get the minutes of fame,  but there should be more on terry
Report Captain carnage July 24, 2021 11:38 AM BST
Super stuff. Came from nothing to take on leaders of disgusting regimes worth billions
in the middle east and the Queen etc in the racing world for a short period.
And he did it with charisma and celebrated in style.
I would have loved to live that life.

Like most with incredible energy for life and the ability to gamble most of their worth the inevitable
bankruptcy occurred. Many resent these characters because they are jealous of their success and the ego/self confidence required to get to the top however briefly.

Just a shame the interviewer couldnt get him to delve into the incredible
darkness of prison and going broke that followed the success.

An incredible life and sounds like he still has the appetite to continue work and play into his 70's and beyond. Stories of his generosity are also starting to come out.

Please have more of this rather than the long list of dullards that bettingpeople has become in recent times.
Report howard July 24, 2021 12:55 PM BST
Terry certainly had the bottle but he got big bets on with Ladbrokes...that's all you need to know.
Report ProSniper July 24, 2021 1:33 PM BST
Pile of shyte.
Report flapper July 24, 2021 1:38 PM BST
Get Tim Brown on bettingpeople. He will sort it all out.
Report Ramruma July 24, 2021 1:42 PM BST
Mildly irritating was Ramsden's frequent use of "it's a maths equation" as if that explained anything.
Report Steamship July 24, 2021 1:45 PM BST
The betting People series is great and we are lucky we get to se them. I will watch all 4 parts tonight. Mr Snugfit was one of my favs but Ramsden bought him after finishing 2nd in National.
Report dr . atkins July 24, 2021 1:54 PM BST
total walt disney very disappointed with the interview that's no fault of the interviewer that's what terry ramsden wanted all the good times nothing about what went wrong comes across like a man in denial living on past memories
Report doorman99 July 24, 2021 2:01 PM BST
dr, you utter misery!
Report cardifffc July 24, 2021 2:03 PM BST
once he mentioned the 196 IQ it was game over for  me
Report raffingora July 24, 2021 2:51 PM BST
What does he do now to make money ?
Report howard July 24, 2021 3:15 PM BST
Do you really think anyone on here can give you an accurate answer to that ? ( or Terry btw )
Report Gordon63 July 26, 2021 11:56 AM BST
i wanted to take to the guy, but comes across as a bell end unfortunately - is he really like this or did the cameras massage his ego? loved Katies
Report Gordon63 July 26, 2021 12:06 PM BST
ah dermot browne - a lesson learned early in life, all is never what it seems where money/power/influence are concerned,,,i expect he wasn't pulled in for the brunico ride when it was clear as day that it was ill judged at best..pulling his own family's horse when fav for the champion hurdle - different level!! if you told me he'd been in wuhan in mid 2019 I wouldn't BAT an eyelid...
Report howard July 26, 2021 1:00 PM BST
It's often the case that people that make big money in the city or gambling ( former in TR case ) aren't what most people would call likeable people.  In the case of gambling you have to think that you are a brilliant judge and nearly everyone else is a clueless clown. So you could say having a certain kind of mindset  is key. Is it likeable ? Probably not.
Report Celtic warrior July 26, 2021 9:14 PM BST
Foyle. Agree totally.great watch most of them
Report Emitdeb July 26, 2021 10:41 PM BST
If Terry was made of chocolate, he'd have eaten himself a long time ago.
Report Celtic warrior July 27, 2021 10:57 AM BST
That grey mullet. Class
Report DIFERENT GRAVY 12 July 30, 2021 2:26 AM BST
197 IQ  Bullsh1t

Why were the jews so eager to sell Katies?
Report pandora1963 July 30, 2021 11:06 AM BST
what a kind, genuine man
Report BARROWBOY July 30, 2021 11:15 AM BST
Met terry in he 80s,he was generous & great company.tbf to him it can’t be easy living an ordinary life when you’ve had the amount of money he used to have.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk July 30, 2021 11:51 AM BST
He came across as massively patronising and oily
Wd on winning a fortune and then losing it.
He is not 197 iq so to start an interview with a lie doesn't endear him
Most of his profitable exploits were seeming totally steered by his consul/trainer
Left to himself he did £100 million
Smart guy
Report Tattcorner July 30, 2021 12:47 PM BST
Enjoyed watching all four parts this morning when I should have been compiling my placepot.

Anybody notice he's a dead ringer for the late John Sessions? (if you can imagine him with a mullet...)
Report Dr Crippen July 30, 2021 1:23 PM BST
He does a good impression of Lester P.

Could have gone on stage with that.
Report The Knight July 30, 2021 10:00 PM BST
I watched part 1 last Sunday and then the next 3 today. I loved Ramsden in the 80's and still have time for him now.

BUT, let's think about it for a bit. A supposed IQ of 197, he devises a way of trading the Japanese stock and bond market to make hundreds of millions, he soars right to the top, becomes the 57th richest guy in Europe and was friends with Peter O'Sullivan and many other big hitters from all walks of life - yet he seems to want to relate stories now about being upside down in the bushes at a p*ss-up, or on the razzle in the Ascot car park, and other gaffs. There is something that now bothers me about that.

I am sure his life contained many great achievements yet his interviews were somewhat centered on a 'lads culture'. No, I am sad to hear him talk like that. 

Nearly winning 13 million, or actually copping 5 million is great and bl**dy good luck to him but the very best punters and money-men operate almost totally under the radar - and, in the end, Laddies got it all back, and a lot more, from him.

I still enjoyed watching the interview but I'm left with the thought that if he had stayed in our memory as the big hitter from the 1980's it would have been that bit better. Thinking about the interviews, I'd like to do a book with him called 'The Real Terry Ramsden'.

It goes without saying, though, that I wish him all the best for the future.
Report BARROWBOY July 31, 2021 12:55 PM BST
Obviously there was a big drinking culture in the city in the 70s& 80s,funnily enough though despite the stories terry wasn’t a particularly big drinker.
Report Ramruma July 31, 2021 1:29 PM BST
I had an interview at a City moneybrokers in the 80s and the chap was literally bouncing off the walls as he led me down the corridor.
Report BARROWBOY July 31, 2021 3:45 PM BST
Always best to get an early interview in those days ramruma,or was it in the morning you went!
Report Dr Crippen July 31, 2021 3:53 PM BST
A supposed IQ of 197

Said with his tongue in cheek.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com