Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
slickster
03 Mar 21 13:50
| Topic/replies: 4,976 | Blogger: slickster's blog
With the clueless inept ihrb in charge it could be anything from nothing to 50 years in jail. A fine serves no worthwhile purpose. So I'm going to say a 6 month ban to appease the baying mob. Doubtful he will return after.
Pause Switch to Standard View What will Elliott's sentence be?
Show More
Report acey deucy March 3, 2021 2:48 PM GMT
RACK HIM !!
Report xaar March 3, 2021 2:48 PM GMT
howard how is he finished ??
Report acey deucy March 3, 2021 2:49 PM GMT
Ooops.Blush
Report posy March 3, 2021 2:49 PM GMT
A dozen Hail Marys should righten the wrong.
Report impossible123 March 3, 2021 2:51 PM GMT
Get another dead horse doing the same to him. An eye for an eye!
Report slickster March 3, 2021 3:02 PM GMT
Robo I'm afraid that sentence would be too severe. Can you imagine a day at the races with wonky chewing your ear off...
Report hello :-) March 3, 2021 3:14 PM GMT
his real sentence lies after , will he regain the support of owners or be welcomed on track by racing public

who knows how that will pan out over time
Report MJK March 3, 2021 3:17 PM GMT
Everyone is assuming he'll want to come back
Report greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy March 3, 2021 3:20 PM GMT
howard 03 Mar 21 15:38 
The main point is he is finished as regards being at the top table in racing.

clown league for you howy..not a chance
Report hello :-) March 3, 2021 3:24 PM GMT
i dont know so much green

reality is it wont be his decision

will be down to owners and the acceptance on track of racing public , how that will go down the line is anyones guess , racing tends to stick together mostly but this episode is the opposite
Report onlooker March 3, 2021 3:25 PM GMT
What a pointless Thread

You may as well ask - 'What will be the weather be in the Scilly Isles, 3 weeks on Wednesday'?

Answer - NOBODY knows.
Report greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy March 3, 2021 3:26 PM GMT
biggest owner in ire supporting him.
Report MJK March 3, 2021 3:32 PM GMT
The IHRB may well do something like hit him with a large fine(payable to a animal sanctuary/shelter) and suspend his licence indefinitely saying he has to reappear before them next Jan or later to see if he gets it back.
Report jamesdean March 3, 2021 3:34 PM GMT
That owner is leaving the game greenie. What new owners does he get
Report ribero1 March 3, 2021 3:38 PM GMT
Will they or can they ban him from the yard? as long as the yard can carry on every chance he can keep things going to a decent level and despite what many on here seem to think of him a lot of the owners will be friends and like him,an organisation like Cheveley Park apart from the manager Richardson will probably have had very little to do with him.
Report The Biscuit March 3, 2021 3:38 PM GMT
Six Months from 1st April and a fine.

He'll miss Aintree and the Easter and Summer festivals in Ireland as well as losing a lot of big owners through his silly behaviour.
Report SeeMoreBusiness March 3, 2021 3:46 PM GMT
ribero, if they have same rules as us, disqualification means from all licensed premises. That means racecourses AND yards etc. He will, I suspect, be expected to get another place to live during the currency of the disqualification. If they just suspend his licence as a trainer, he can stay there and go racing. Can't see that happening tbh
Report jamesdean March 3, 2021 3:47 PM GMT
Can he get someone to takeover in name only whilst he's still running the scene in background
Report SeeMoreBusiness March 3, 2021 3:49 PM GMT
jamesdean, in theory that is always possible but if he is not allowed to live there.....they can always stage spot checks as well. Then again, mobile phone + camera + a reasonable degree of control which may be difficult to prevent
Report greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy March 3, 2021 3:52 PM GMT
giggs giving the game up?
Report isleham March 3, 2021 3:52 PM GMT
the interesting point will be whether his assistant will be allowed to take over the license as per the likes of mrs burke here
and whether he will be barred from all licensed premises
Report councillor March 3, 2021 3:55 PM GMT
Banned for life wouldnt go amiss. It just shows what he thinks of these beautiful animals that provide him with a good living.
Banned for life wouldnt go amiss. It just shows what he thinks of these beautiful animals that provide him with a good living.
Report greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy March 3, 2021 3:57 PM GMT
HE DIDNT MISTREAT ANY HORSE..NO HORSES SUFFERED.

dignity offence...stoned at dawn.
Report metro john March 3, 2021 3:57 PM GMT

Mar 3, 2021 -- 9:38AM, The Biscuit wrote:

Six Months from 1st April and a fine.He'll miss Aintree and the Easter and Summer festivals in Ireland as well as losing a lot of big owners through his silly behaviour.

Any such judgements would be appalling, especially in the present climate respecting jobs?

Report xaar March 3, 2021 3:57 PM GMT
banned for life if you truly believe that, id give the game up its not for you
Report jamesdean March 3, 2021 3:59 PM GMT

Mar 3, 2021 -- 9:52AM, greenteethnarrabacktroutmoy wrote:

giggs giving the game up?

announced 2 years ago

Report metro john March 3, 2021 3:59 PM GMT
These things spread much deeper, imagine the lads and lasses having their stars taken away, already? have not people got a conscience?
Report Storm Alert March 3, 2021 4:00 PM GMT
40k euro fine, Six month ban wef 1st April, but horses already entered allowed to run. So minimal impact over summer months.
Report ribero1 March 3, 2021 4:04 PM GMT
That sounds about right storm alert,they can't surely want to destroy the yard ?
Report impossible123 March 3, 2021 4:07 PM GMT
I think Elliot needs to take a break away from horse racing and out of the spotlight. This is important for his mental health and well-being. Hopefully, a period away from the horse racing fraternity will allow him to relax and reflect. We all make mistakes, some with big consequences possibly irreparable eg not being around when the kids were growing up.

What's done is done. Only time can heal. Nobody died, in the scheme of thing. It's not the end of the world.
Report Fashion Fever March 3, 2021 4:12 PM GMT
he could still be at cheltenham if only fined Friday

BHA only banned till after inquiry outcome
Report councillor March 3, 2021 4:12 PM GMT
I wonder how the owner felt.
Report impossible123 March 3, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
The owner of the dead horse Morgan was Gigginstown. They'd accepted his profound and sincere apology, and still supporting him.
Report isleham March 3, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
no chance he will come to the festival whatever the sentence
Report 23nights March 3, 2021 4:15 PM GMT
the real sentence will be meted out by the owners and sponsors...if they pull their horses out and the high profile sponsors disappear (already happened/happening) then that will be that.The ihrb under a lot of pressure to be draconian.
Report 23nights March 3, 2021 4:20 PM GMT

Mar 3, 2021 -- 10:15AM, isleham wrote:

no chance he will come to the festival whatever the sentence

he certainly wouldnt of come if crowds were allowed to attend.

Report isleham March 3, 2021 4:24 PM GMT
no one would wish on him the media circus that would ensue if he attended
Report shady69 March 3, 2021 4:35 PM GMT
With no crowds at Cheltenham maybe he'll be a pundit on ITV for the 4 days ... Crazy
Report carrot1960 March 3, 2021 4:51 PM GMT
9/12  months for bringing the sport into disrepute
Report howard March 3, 2021 5:43 PM GMT
23 nights spot-on. He's finished at anywhere near top level.  Doesn't matter how long he gets. He's persona non grata. He would never have got as big if he had trained in  England in the first place.
Report Theoneandonly March 3, 2021 5:53 PM GMT
I think it could and should be a hatchet job. No point saying this is no way reflective of the racing industry then give him a fine and a small ban as it looks as if it is acceptable. Racing is most definitely going to be tarnished.
Report vantastic54 March 3, 2021 5:55 PM GMT
Im curious Howard why do you think that?i.e He would never have been as big.
Report penzance March 3, 2021 5:58 PM GMT
who Knows what he'll get.Total guesswork,let
the authorities finish what they're doing first
and then let them decide.It was a terrible image
and I've lost respect for the bloke.I also don't
want him banned for life,like some.He made a major
mistake he's got to live with that.
Hope these are the only two incidents, only time will tell.
Report Theoneandonly March 3, 2021 6:07 PM GMT
Penzance sounds as if hes been breaking / abusing the covid restrictions with a bar and the privilege horse racing has had to comtinue whilst other sectors and industries have been decimated. I hope this is not true as if this is confirmed it will be another massive blow.
Report penzance March 3, 2021 6:17 PM GMT
when they do this enquiry let's hope it's
done properly and nothing swept under the
carpet if found.Hope they don't find nothing.
Big blow to the sport,you're right.Looks as
though someone's done a right job on him.
Report windsor knot March 3, 2021 6:27 PM GMT
whatever the result , lets hope whoever told him to use that excuse / reason for his behaviour is not involved or he will get twice as long .
Report ZEALOT March 4, 2021 10:12 AM GMT
There are some acts that are unforgivable. What the hell was he doing sat posing on a dead horse anyway ? 
He comes across as a childish idiot in my eyes and it’s reminds me of a moron  who cheats on a spouse and as a result the relationship ends . They do not regret their actions as such ,  they regret getting caught .

He will never come back from this and the authorities may be aware so they may act accordingly and ban him for 10 years .
Report cardifffc March 4, 2021 10:16 AM GMT
heavy fine...no need for suspension
Report HistoricWarwick March 4, 2021 10:48 AM GMT
Six months and a fine.  However the real sentence will be determined when he returns to G50.
Report cardifffc March 4, 2021 11:22 AM GMT
Wonder if gordon in the last couple of years has had sleepless nights about the photo being made public.It must have been a worry at the back of his mind.
Report GEORGE.B March 4, 2021 11:28 AM GMT
Cardiff, Elliott said he was at the races on Saturday when he got a call informing him that the pic was on social media, and his first reaction, he claimed, was to think that it couldn't possibly be him.

But when he saw the photo, he immediately realised the implications of it.

So I took from his comments, it was he something he'd done and had forgotten about.
Report firstimevisor March 4, 2021 11:45 AM GMT
10 Years!! Have you lost your mind ? Charles Byrnes got 6 months for a very serious offence that involved doping and laying a horse, which was as dangerous and greedy an act as you will ever see on a racecourse. And he has previous, lots of it. Elliot's offence by comparison to Byrne's was handbags. I've never had much of a liking for Elliott but for merely acting the idiot he deserves a rap on the knuckles and a hefty fine. But 10 years ffs get a grip.
Report Theoneandonly March 4, 2021 12:00 PM GMT
It's a very sorry affair. The problem is the publicity this has generated and effect it will have on jump racing. Cant believe that a man that is such a genius with horses could be so daft. Firstly for sitting on the horse and posing for a photo then for coming out with that bollocks he did thinking he would get away with it.
Report HistoricWarwick March 4, 2021 12:04 PM GMT
Whatever the sentence, I would imagine the IHRB want a fast resolution - the last words they want to hear is "let me sleep on it"....
Report Clerkmore March 4, 2021 12:07 PM GMT
I would say he will get a two year ban, to serve six months with 18 months suspended plus a 20,000 euro fine.

It was a totally stupid thing to do and the authorities will be keen to be seen to be doing something substantial bearing in mind that it has been discussed at length on non racing programmes.

It was a very malicious thing to do by somebody sharing the photograph with the mainstream press to try to ruin a man's livelihood.
Report Gaze733 March 4, 2021 12:11 PM GMT
Death or exile? Death...by exile.
Report blunder March 4, 2021 12:57 PM GMT
The extreme sentences some people are suggesting are a joke . The guy did something really stupid, there really aren't many people who have never done anything stupid , it's just that nobody recorded them doing it. Nobody got hurt ,nobody died,  just lots of feelings got hurt. Punishment is
given to prevent him or anyone else doing something similar, I'm pretty sure Gordon won't be repeating his actions. What sickens me more is someone who sits on a dead horse will suffer a far greater punishment than somebody who abducts and imprisons their children for years.
Report Brian March 4, 2021 12:57 PM GMT
With all the publicity the minimum is going to be a 6 month ban. That wouldn't be such a bad move for Elliot, if he doesn't get time off the situation will only get worse for him. He can come back, having acknowledged the massive mistake, having served his time and maybe restart his career.
Report unbiased March 4, 2021 1:14 PM GMT
I am responding as a NON MEAT EATER and a poster that worked with racehorses for 25 years.
Gordon was stupid,that is not in question.
The horse wasn't harmed,that is not in question.
Public image,unfortunately damaged,due to us living in the POLITICALLY CORRECT age.
So many want Gordon to suffer more than a fine,because of the image that may cause outcry amongst the public,although no harm to the animal actually happened.
Well I am not part of the PC brigade,and live in the real  world.Perhaps Gordon's staff should be asked if the horses are treated well.
   Facts ,as opposed to what the public may,or may not think.
Racing's rulers should publicly stress that the horse wasn't harmed,and put this matter to bed s.a.p.
Report hello :-) March 4, 2021 1:18 PM GMT
thing about that pic , looks worse as time passes

nothing will ever reduce that , its the public perception now of him whatever your view

how he can ressurect a career being responsible for horses it will be very hard , attending track also will at times

i think thats punishment enough tbh , no one wants to see him suffer anymore no one rational anyway and its just his high profile that is enlaging the target tbh

not one thread about the other fella james , which was far worse and pre meditated
Report snowynoon March 4, 2021 1:22 PM GMT
i agree with unbiased ,there used to be an offence in football called "bringing the game into disrepute" .A charge such as that and a fine perhaps would suffice ,its not as if he is likely to do it again.
Report Brian March 4, 2021 1:25 PM GMT
I don't disagree with Unbiased's facts but still think a ban will come and that it might be of a benefit to Elliot in the long run.
Report johnoo1 March 4, 2021 2:02 PM GMT
If gordon gets a ban they will surely have to ban the SHEIK FOR BRINGING THE GAME IN TO DISREPUTE FOR KIDNAPPING AND HOLDING PEOPLE AGAINST THEIR WILL.  Talk about double standerds
Report onlooker March 4, 2021 2:15 PM GMT
snowynoon 04 Mar 21 14:22

i agree with unbiased ,there used to be an offence in football called "bringing the game into disrepute" .A charge such as that and a fine perhaps would suffice ,its not as if he is likely to do it again.
--------------

He won't get chance to - "do it again" ....

After Kate's Mum has battered him around the head with her handbag - Jenny Pitman style.
Report ribero1 March 4, 2021 2:31 PM GMT
I agree with unbiased,hello saying it will be hard to rescue his career,well so far to my knowledge he has lost the Cheveley Park horses and hasn't he circa 250? Gigginstown although eventually getting out still got some decent tackle,Presenting Percy owner staying put and there seems to a growing but measured level of support amongst his Irish colleagues for him and plenty of owners may be friends and like him.
Cheveley Park jumping ship may not be the worst thing to happen to him short term as you could definitely say he's suffered the greatest punishment already losing quite possibly the best horse he will ever train and whilst it shouldn't really have any bearing on the outcome it may possibly weigh on some of the committee's mind?
I guess what McManus does may be pivotal as if he stays with him it will surely make it easier for others to make that decision.
Report duffy March 4, 2021 2:41 PM GMT
The one thing that none have them have experienced yet is the spotlight on them by the mainstream press once they've made their decisions to support him if they do so when they are back on the track having their pictures taken next to him after a winner
Report duffy March 4, 2021 2:45 PM GMT
Never mind the animal rights activists camping outside race tracks waving their banners, I wonder how O'Leary will feel to the possibility of them camping outside of the Airports waving their banners.
Report slickster March 4, 2021 4:33 PM GMT
Ihrb in a desperate position. Any punishment given wont be right or wrong. Think they must give 6 months just to be seen to be doing something. I doubt Elliott will care what he gets. He has sentenced himself to a lifetime of pain already.
Report impossible123 March 4, 2021 5:25 PM GMT
I think it's not such a complex issue if the IHRB keeps their perspective (independent of social media postings) and applies the rules in their Code book accordingly. It was distasteful, repugnant and an image disaster for horse racing; Morgan was dead.
Report duffy March 4, 2021 5:33 PM GMT
The problem is, if and when the ban he gets draws to a close, the whole issue will race to the surface once again as the animal rights activists start waving the image about once again telling everyone that this man is once again being allowed to train horses. Kicking him out for good, harsh or not might be best for him and the sport, his continued participation will only heap further controversy upon the sport.
Report impossible123 March 4, 2021 5:39 PM GMT
I do not agree. The image was much worse than the crime. I'm not condoning the action of Elliot; Elliot did not kill Morgan. A time off the sport or not in the public eye eg a period ban from racecourses is just and adequate.
Report duffy March 4, 2021 5:42 PM GMT
Like I said, if and when the ban draws to a close, all the negative images will once again be brought out and and the sport will be dragged through the dirt all over again.
Report onlooker March 4, 2021 5:45 PM GMT
Fair Point - duffy
Report Dotchinite March 4, 2021 5:47 PM GMT
Kicking him out for good would be the most ridiculous over reaction ever seen.  Fine him 5k and lets all forget all about it.
Report impossible123 March 4, 2021 5:48 PM GMT
Elliot was not responsible for Morgan's death. I understand this is no consolation to Morgan; the action of Gigginstown is significant.
Report 23nights March 4, 2021 6:31 PM GMT

Mar 4, 2021 -- 11:47AM, Dotchinite wrote:

Kicking him out for good would be the most ridiculous over reaction ever seen.

Report 23nights March 4, 2021 6:34 PM GMT
Kicking him out for good would be the most ridiculous over reaction ever seen.  Fine him 5k and lets all forget all about it.....soz fine him 5k "and lets forget all about it "..will cause uproar imo
Report ihal essex March 4, 2021 6:35 PM GMT
Duffy: "Kicking him out for good, harsh or not might be best for him"

Are you, by any slim chance, sane?
Report 23nights March 4, 2021 6:42 PM GMT
a ban and large fine is on the cards...6 months ?
Report olddesperado March 4, 2021 9:19 PM GMT
It wouldn't bother me if he got a life ban tbh but giving it a bit of thought today I came up with this.

10,000 euro fine to go a horse welfare charity.

2 year ban with the last 18 months suspended if he agrees to work for free for the six months in one the horse welfare charities full time .

An outside trainer can be brought in to oversee his stables during his suspension and he must move out of the area and not enter the premises.

Don't agree and he serves the full 2 years.

It might be beneficial to him to be honest and would help to rehabilitate him in the eyes of the world and help raise the profile of these wonderful charities.
Report differentdrum March 5, 2021 9:28 AM GMT
This has already taken too long to resolve.

The verdict should take into account that he has escaped censure for 2 years and has only apologised because he has effectively been caught with his trousers down. He would happily have lived with that image being buried forever. Any deliberation should be about fact and not speculation. You would have be in the yard 24/7 to get a full picture of what is going on. That's not possible. It should concentrate first and foremost on the actions of a 40 year-old man, not any reflection on racing.   

It is hard to know what would be an appropriate verdict although I think it won't be too difficult to see if it is lenient, or not. A fine shouldn't be on the table and he should play no part at the Cheltenham Festival. It has to be viewed as zero tolerance. Had this been stable staff they would have been long gone. Being in a high profile, leadership position, and as such an influencer makes it far more serious. My guess would be anything from a 2 year to a lifetime ban, certainly not a suspended sentence. Anything less would seem like a cop out.
Report elise March 5, 2021 10:20 AM GMT
guessing big fine & 6 months ban poss with a further 6-12 suspended, originally thought he'd get big fine & 3 months maybe, but the uproar and condemnation has probably sealed things, i'd see them having him back at the start of next season so effectively he's only going to miss a couple of months of this season - still be truly shocked if he's given a life ban, just can't see it
Report penzance March 5, 2021 10:23 AM GMT
although the respect for him as gone,don't think
he should get a life time ban.Way over the top.
Report chavman March 5, 2021 10:24 AM GMT
6 months solitary,waterboard him and then tighten the screw properly to see what else he knows imo
Report olddesperado March 5, 2021 11:03 AM GMT
Apparently the max fine he can receive is 20k
Report olddesperado March 5, 2021 11:05 AM GMT
Disciplinary panel currently meeting at secret venue and panel members in attendance will not be named.
Report olddesperado March 5, 2021 11:08 AM GMT
I think the groundwork is getting prepared for a lenient verdict.
Report elise March 5, 2021 11:12 AM GMT
really not naming them, that sounds like a premeditated kop out already?
Report elise March 5, 2021 11:15 AM GMT
fine was 5-10 i had in mind, they might go 20 so they can hide behind a max message
Report olddesperado March 5, 2021 11:21 AM GMT
Yep max fine short or suspended sentence imo..
Report elise March 5, 2021 11:22 AM GMT
ok ty
Report Bentring March 5, 2021 12:06 PM GMT
Extreme sentences are a joke,those that voice them are an even bigger one
Report Blackrock March 5, 2021 12:40 PM GMT
Animal rights people hate everything to do with horseracing and want it banned completely. So ignore them.

I havent seen any reports that Elliot is cruel to horses on a continual basis, so this episode is surely a one-off? Everyone makes mistakes and i see no reason why he shouldn't be given a second chance.

He is being slaughtered on social media apparently. This reaction is way OTT. I realise punishment is in order but hope the powers that be use common sense.

6 month ban adequate imo.
Report impossible123 March 5, 2021 1:20 PM GMT
I'd not fine Elliot if the money is not giving to appropriate charities; I'd hate it if it goes to horseracing. I'd like to see possibly a course of rehabilitation/re-education on animal cruelty to "hurt" his ego; a racecourse ban away from media and racegoers are adequate. The horse was already "dead".

Screw social media. It's nothing but a platform for a bunch of weirdos with loads of free time to opine on any issue without legal recourse or redress possible by any offended entity ie a free for all, behind the keyboard.

And, I particularly hate the "retweets" to condone a view without adding anything new ie brainless. The number of followers? What the heck is that? Who cares esp the non-entity celeb.
Report 1st time poster March 5, 2021 1:38 PM GMT
why do we believe we can trust what the inquiry cooks up,why isnt it.cant be viewed by the public,if everyones agreed racing needs to be the winner here ,whats preventing an almighty stitch up
plenty already believe GE,S statements were put together /published in cohoots with ihrb
Report loui March 5, 2021 4:30 PM GMT
Giggingstown got no choice but to back, his fees are less than the other big trainer in Ireland
Report glentoby March 5, 2021 4:33 PM GMT
Probably along the lines of "Fair cop guv,I hold my hands up"!!!
Report glentoby March 5, 2021 4:33 PM GMT
Probably along the lines of "Fair cop guv,I hold my hands up"!!!
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com