Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
ashleigh
26 Jul 20 11:52
| Topic/replies: 18,570 | Blogger: ashleigh's blog
and card payment only. bookmakers split between each enclosure.
who would want the gig.Sad
Pause Switch to Standard View 4 bookmakers at goodwood
Show More
Report adge July 26, 2020 1:12 PM BST
1 rails , 2 tatts and 1 silver
none allowed in front of the stand...except the silver by the small 3 furlong car park
Report mrcombustible July 26, 2020 1:28 PM BST
Pathetic
Report democrat July 26, 2020 1:30 PM BST
Does anybody know if the bookmakers are being paid to attend ? If not their attendance is most laudable given the limitations that apply. Card only ? That could be interesting if individuals turn up intending to bet with cash only - the bookmakers will be in for some fun explaining the straitjacket conditions in which they have been instructed to work. Presumably all retail outlets at Goodwood will exclusively be accepting debit cards. If this is the first step towards the resumption of racing in terms of 'normal unrestricted' crowd and bookmaker numbers then indeed it is a very small one. Here's hoping the second step is more meritorious.
Report dave d July 26, 2020 1:36 PM BST
alan ..will the positions in tatts be offered down the line ,,ie starting with pick one being asked first etc etc
Report the.mad.dog.man July 26, 2020 1:36 PM BST
how do they pay the wining punters
Report stewarty b July 26, 2020 1:39 PM BST
Paying by card is just not feasible.
Report ashleigh July 26, 2020 1:40 PM BST
is it right adge, bookmakers on course can take 8 cash bets in the time it takes to process 1 card bet.
card bets the norm, will not be welcome by bookies.
Report wondersobright July 26, 2020 1:41 PM BST
card only yet by law they are required to provide a paper receipt if requested, and of course the punter needs their docket

completely farcical situation
Report adge July 26, 2020 2:03 PM BST
dave d ...yes , list seniority has been used with number 1 being given first refusable
rails...one [ unconfirmed ] but number 2 would attend.
tatts...number 1 yes..2,3 and 4 refused re no cash but 5 believed a yes
silver..number 1 refused but 2 a yes

mad dog....any winning bet must be paid back to the card
ashleigh..that's about right but the pay back takes a good deal longer
Report dave d July 26, 2020 2:13 PM BST
cheers alan as a northern ring worker looking in i know its a start but highly debatable what good can be gleaned ...firmi work for already uses card facility and at best its a service not the future by any means ....lets see what happens anyways ..good luck and thnks x
Report penzance July 26, 2020 2:22 PM BST
win or lose the fun of racing IS betting
in cash and being paid out in cash.
Report TheAnorak July 26, 2020 2:30 PM BST
Not to mention the fact that anybody placing bets with two or three different books during a meeting, is highly likely to find the bank's automatic fraud software putting a stop on their card.
Report Ramruma July 26, 2020 2:32 PM BST
Card limit on contactless is £45. Above that needs keypad, and having dozens of punters use the same keypad is more dangerous than handling cash I'd have thought.
Report democrat July 26, 2020 2:44 PM BST
A very fair point Penzance although those that want to bet electronically also need to be catered for. The imponderable is why the bookmakers are being limited to one method of payment. The thought of being totally dependent, with no contingency ie cash bets, on a debit card reader- not always the most reliable of devices - is unthinkable. I am very hopeful that nothing untoward occurs and the day proves most successful but the pitfalls should not be ignored.
Report ekbalko July 26, 2020 3:19 PM BST
Just as easy to do it on your phone.
Report fredlyn July 26, 2020 3:36 PM BST
not much better on here - taking 45 mins to settle wins
Report 1st time poster July 26, 2020 3:36 PM BST
as theyve spent every second in every day for 10 years saying its impossible to make the game pay ,now moaning that more of them arnt allowed to give their money away to the public, Laugh,
Report adge July 26, 2020 4:04 PM BST
much closer to 20 years but the gripe this time is no cash betting allowed
Report democrat July 26, 2020 4:07 PM BST
When you do your Sainsburys shop tomorrow adge tell them they are out of order taking cash !!! LaughLaugh
Report ronnie rails July 26, 2020 4:08 PM BST
good luck to the on course books regarding cashless, since the shops have reopened the biggest nightmare without any doubt is a punter not getting a bet on as the length of time it takes a  que of card punters  to get the bets prosed and get ready for card declined as the punter says I think I have pressed the wrong button.
have a good day
regards
Ronnie.
Report REGIT July 26, 2020 6:32 PM BST
Would have thought they could have paid out in cash.Could have got the books to keep cash seperate for a week before betting.Pretty sure virus only lasts 72 hours.Would speed it up a lot.If it remains no cash there’s no point in going.
Report REGIT July 26, 2020 6:32 PM BST
Would have thought they could have paid out in cash.Could have got the books to keep cash seperate for a week before betting.Pretty sure virus only lasts 72 hours.Would speed it up a lot.If it remains no cash there’s no point in going.
Report TheNorfolkMafia July 26, 2020 6:51 PM BST
Cashless betting!

The final nail in the on-course bookmakers coffin!

Totally unworkable!
Report impossible123 July 26, 2020 7:20 PM BST
Can contact-less be used for bets £30 and below? Anymore a prepayment token bought well before the race perhaps. Otherwise a nightmare if a card is refused or customer keyed in wrong pin.
Report 1st time poster July 26, 2020 7:58 PM BST
zero evidence of anyone anywhere in the world catching virus through transmission of virus through a hard surface,almost been entirely discounted by scientists as a form of transmission,
if it were possible like saLISBURY you,d think there,d be 1000,s of scientists worldwide in supermarkets,park benches etc collectinmg tonnes of the virus, not a grain of the virus been found worldwide left on a hard surface
Report icantbelieveyousaidthat July 26, 2020 8:26 PM BST
Not to mention the potential impact on an individual having multiple betting transactions on his bank statement.
Report democrat July 26, 2020 8:34 PM BST
I am prepared o be corrected but I think there is not one positive comment on this thread regarding the modus operandi proposed for Goodwood. The precipice of August 1st is not far away but never mind  it is only a trial and lessons will be learnt. Whoops
Report Fashion Fever July 26, 2020 9:34 PM BST
hi Chris

are they having Yarmouth derby this year ?

are you allowed to stand again in October ?

cheers
Report adge July 26, 2020 11:04 PM BST
the goodwood four are having further thoughts on what they are signing up for

out of interest does anyone know of anybody who has caught covid 19 from a banknote ?
Report icantbelieveyousaidthat July 26, 2020 11:10 PM BST
Hello Mark

A Derby, sponsored by RPGTV, is planned but with only three rounds rather than the usual four. When it was announced, the date of the final was fluid to allow for the return of the public to race tracks. If the three day Eastern Festival takes place, the final would be on the Thursday evening but it would seem the final will now be on Wednesday 16th September.

It is highly probable the whole event will be behind closed doors but all rounds, including the final, will be on RPGTV.

As for our return, I don’t know and I certainly don’t know what operating conditions will be placed upon us when we do return. It would seem the local authority has already approved a crowd of up to 1000 for stock car racing but the Government will have to lift the restrictions on sports stadia before the public are allowed into the track for greyhound race meetings.
Report artful dodger July 27, 2020 7:48 AM BST
As usual with the farcical scaremongering, closely following on from totally unnecessary wearing of masks in shops then.......wait for it......the government are "tackling obesity", we now have the only outlet in the entire country aiming for cashless! Fish shops have notices up "cash only", supermarkets are taking cash as well as cards and ALL other retail outlets give you the choice. Well done Goodwood! WALOFB!!!!
Report REGIT July 27, 2020 9:00 AM BST
I’m retired now but in my opinion the books have to stand together and say no thanks.If they go down the cashless route they are finished.
1.It’s physically impossible to take enough bets and payout in any pitch including the best pitches.
2.It’s bound to lead to an increase in expenses.
3.I cannot see banks standing for 2000 transactions a day ( if it ever reaches that speed)
4.Once punters get used to no cash they will soon get used to using their own phones.( talking about recreational punters not people who are on here.)

They have to stand firm and believe they are an important part of a “ day at the races”
Unfortunately i know from past experience this wont happen , it will be every man for himself.I know pitches are still changing hands for large amounts but a friend of mine said he would sell his pitches ( good pitches ) for 75% of what he paid.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves July 27, 2020 9:36 AM BST
Copper and silver and gold actually kill bacteria and disable viruses. Our ancestors knew what they were doing when they made sure all transactions involved gold, silver or copper coins.
Report ribero1 July 27, 2020 9:53 AM BST
This will be the work of the usual jobsworths no doubt,agree Regit i've said all along no cash no business,i go racing when not working and bet in cash and wouldn't go near the ring without cash,normally i would agree re nobody going but think its too dangerous a way to go and the bookmakers who do go will no doubt be interviewed and should say we have turned up as a goodwill gesture (business will be useless) but let them know in no uncertain terms its totally unworkable without cash.
Report 1st time poster July 27, 2020 10:24 AM BST
take away corporate,the only reason to go racing is to bet in cash with a bookmaker,think everyone agrees winning online isnt the same buzz as money changing hands, imo
Report REGIT July 27, 2020 10:28 AM BST
The level of business will be interesting.
5,000 people and 4 books.
Possible there will be huge queue’s and people not able to get on.If cash was allowed i would expect there might be enough business for 20- 30  books.4 is just crazy.Social distancing will go out of the window and if it rains?
Personally I would have spread the books around ( I dont know Goodwood so it might not be possible) and allowed cash and at the very least paid out in cash.If and it’s a big IF the system works as well as in shops you could possibly do 30-50 transactions but that doesnt include payouts and errors.Your probably right about having to go Ribero but as a business proposition “NOT A CHANCE”
If they persevere with this people who like to use oncourse books WILL HAVE NO OPTION to make alternative plans to bet.
Report sparrow July 27, 2020 10:51 AM BST
Chris Cook in the Guardian
@claimsfive
Mon 27 Jul 2020 00.03 BSTLast modified on Mon 27 Jul 2020 09.42

Bookmakers are to make a last-ditch appeal to the government to relax restrictions around their return to the racecourse at Goodwood this week. Just four bookmakers are to be allowed to bet at the Sussex track on Saturday, when around 5,000 racegoers will be allowed entry, and have been told they must take bets only via cards, not cash, which one bookmaker described as “a disaster waiting to happen”.

“The last thing we want are problems with the trial,” said Robin Grossmith of the Federation Of Racecourse Bookmakers, whose members are desperate for a large-scale return of crowds and betting at the races after four months with no trade. “The DCMS probably doesn’t appreciate the difficulties we may have. This is something we are going to be talking to them about on Monday, as a matter of urgency.

“The problem is that Parliament’s in recess,” Grossmith added. “Who we can get hold of to make a decision, I really don’t know until we try. Our political advisors will do it for us and we’ll see where we get but the clock’s ticking down pretty quickly.

“We think if cash can be taken, it will be a success. We’re just concerned that there could be all sorts of technical problems that are beyond our control.”

While some racecourse bookmakers have offered card betting facilities, it has not been a popular option. Connectivity has been a problem, as has the time taken to process a bet, estimated as being eight times slower than cash. “I’ve timed it and it’s about 30 seconds per bet coming in,” said the bookmaker Simon James.

“If you were to work flat out for half an hour, the gap between races, you could take 60 bets. That isn’t allowing for any payouts. If the first favourite wins and you have a queue of 30 people trying to get paid, you could spend the whole of the next race’s betting time paying people out. This cannot be allowed to happen. It is a disaster waiting to happen.”

James pointed out another problem, that each transaction ties up so much of the bookmaker’s funds until being cleared days later. “When I work with cash, my float would only go down by the amount I’ve lost on a race. Taking card payments only, my float’s going to go down by my turnover. The amount of money we would have to have in preparation for any race-meeting is going to be beyond the realms of most bookmakers to manage. Only an elite few would be able to do it, especially for four or five days on the trot.”

Grossmith added: “Every betting shop in the High Street takes cash, every supermarket takes cash, I don’t know of a business that doesn’t. We’re working out in the open air that the Sage experts say is the safest place to be, yet cash is to be banned and we don’t understand the rationale.”

While the Racecourse Association declined to comment, it pointed to the government’s guidance on the return of elite sport, which insists on retail concessions operating without cash. It is believed that racing officials have queried with the DCMS whether bookmakers should fall into this category and were told that they must.

The Guardian understands that none of the four bookmakers allowed at Goodwood will be in the spots normally associated with betting, along the rails between the two main enclosures or in the Tattersalls ring. In order to avoid queues that would undermine social distancing, they will be sited in quieter spots, two of them behind the grandstand. Tote betting will also be available.
Report TheNorfolkMafia July 27, 2020 12:26 PM BST
Bookmaker John McEnroe, said, "You can't be serious man, you cannot be serious!"
Report ribero1 July 27, 2020 12:44 PM BST
Spot on 1tp,Regit,the bookmakers are going to be in the quietest areas,not much more than a hundred punters.
Report adge July 27, 2020 5:29 PM BST
after backword Tim Moore of AGT has admitted that he can't find 4 bookmakers willing to attend and has advertised for any goodwood tatts bookmaker to contact him

COME ON FACTMACHINE ..NOW IS YOUR CHANCE
Report carpet1 July 27, 2020 6:23 PM BST
yes i heard hes up to pick 21 on the tatts list and cannot fill it .optinum no 2 ffs
Report mmmalushka July 28, 2020 7:26 AM BST
If cash betting was allowed with 4 bookies v 5000 punters how many books would play the game at 1.5% a runner and how many would be betting to nearer 5% a runner?
Report The Pies July 28, 2020 8:25 AM BST
Whilst I can see the sense of restricting crowds initially the exclusion of cash transactions is out of kilter with the rest of society. Hopefully this trial will be successful and crowds can quickly resume certainly for the quieter midweek meetings. I'd be surprised if restrictions don't remain for sometime on the bigger meetings.

On a general note I think many of us in the uk have become a bit too relaxed about Covid now that it's not the complete news every hour but the situations around the world should serve to remind us that it has not gone away and can return. Therefore we need to stick to the principals of handwashing and avoiding close contact especially in enclosed environments.
Report onlooker July 28, 2020 11:01 AM BST
Cashless concerns: bookmakers unhappy Goodwood trial will be card-only bets

Interest in Saturday's trial has been lukewarm from on-course layers

By Graham Dench
6:14PM, JUL 27 2020

Ben Keith, who bets as Star Sports and would normally have one of the prime positions at Goodwood, is among many bookmakers who have spurned the opportunity to take one of the four betting positions that are being allowed at the track on Saturday, when up to 5,000 members will attend under strictly controlled conditions.

One of the main drawbacks from any bookmaker's point of view is the insistence on cashless betting for the pilot, which many are confused by, since the sites are all outdoors and cash remains acceptable even in most indoor retail outlets. However, Keith also has other grounds for rejecting the opportunity.

He said: “I think it’s a dangerous thing to be joining in with and I don’t think there is any upside whatsoever.
I don’t like the word trial. What does it lead to, and what’s the definition of success? I might sound cynical, but I think on-course bookmakers have a right to be.
You can take whatever you want from a trial, and if they decide it’s a wonderful success and that cash betting is no longer needed I can see where that might lead.

There are serious practical concerns too and I can’t stress how off-putting they are. Those machines do £45 on a tap, but how are you supposed to pay the money back on to it without a huge performance. Why would anybody bet like that when they could stand in the bar and bet through an app?

“People have been taking cash bets on racecourses for a hundred years and what’s changed? I feel that it suits the agenda of racecourses looking to give on-course bookies another kick and it will be a struggle for anyone to make money there anyway. There’s no upside, apart from for those who want there to be a downside.”

Tim Moore, managing director of Administration of Gambling on Tracks, is relieved there is some of light at the end of the tunnel at last for racecourse bookmakers, who have had no earnings since March and in many cases have been ineligible for government support, but he acknowledged it has not been easy filling the four spots available and agreed the situation is far from ideal.

He said: “There are 102 bookmakers on the list for Tattersalls at Goodwood and it’s true that quite a few have turned it down. We’ve been working down it in order of seniority, but at the end of the day it’s up to the individual bookmaker.

“The problem is that this cashless technology is almost brand new to the betting ring and most don’t have the terminals and other bits and pieces they need. It takes longer to take a bet, and a lot longer to pay out, as winnings don’t automatically go back into your bank account. You have to go back and present the card again and put your pin in, much as you would do if you were returning a shirt to Marks & Spencer, because there’s no integrated software for automatic payment.”

Moore, who has visited the site and said two of the positions would be behind the Tattersalls grandstand, another in front of a bar in Tattersalls adjacent to the Silver Ring, and the fourth at the end of the Silver Ring in the picnic area, added: “It’s not going to be a great opportunity for making a few quid, but we are going to learn a lot. Hopefully we will enjoy a good, successful trial which will help us all get back to work.”

Robin Grossmith, a director of the Federation of British Bookmakers, has sought an explanation for the decision not to allow cash and asked for a rethink.

He said: “We have written to the DCMS [Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport] because we don’t understand why cash can’t be taken outside, when it is permitted inside. Parliament is in recess but we hope someone can come back to us in time.

"It’s very disappointing, because we are keen to go ahead with the trial and want to be part of it, but the terms we are required to bet under make it extremely difficult.”

A statement issued by the racecourse said: “The pilot event is about demonstrating that bookmakers can operate safely within the Covid-19 guidelines set out by the government. Once this is achieved, we can start to look forward to the future, with more on-course bookmakers and slow progress towards normality.

“Taking small steps is particularly important as the bookmakers will be operating cashless for the first time, representing a technological challenge in itself. The site risk assessments have established that breaching social distancing principles is likely if too many bookmakers are situated in populated zones, especially with the potential prospect of queues because bets and payouts must be processed by debit card.

“With this in mind, it has been decided that bookmakers on course at the Qatar Goodwood festival will be limited. Should this pilot event be successful a further provision on course will be considered going forward.”
==================================

-  *  add - No mention of whether an On-Course TOTE will be in operation ... and - if so  ....
Report 1st time poster July 28, 2020 11:06 AM BST
try a little experiment,stand outside goodwood entrance and put some £50 notes on floor and see howe many of those 5,000 walk past without bending down and picking them up, LaughLaughLaughLaugh,
answer ZERO AND ONE, and it isnt one LaughLaughLaugh
Report howard July 28, 2020 11:30 AM BST
It was all racecourse bookies had to offer their usp now they are finished.
Report 1st time poster July 28, 2020 11:46 AM BST
numbers 4,7,8, and 9 50p ew please mr dennis on my contactless i phone, LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report know all July 28, 2020 12:49 PM BST
will the tote be working there? if so they will take all the money, technology moving quickly on card machines as we have become a cashless society and rare to see folks using cash now , its the new normal so books better find the best card machines or they will struggle to take anything in the short term with we only take cash, times have changed imo
Report 1st time poster July 28, 2020 12:57 PM BST
if cash isnt changing hands ,why would you bet with course bookmakers and miss out on enhanced places,best odds,double results etc,etc, madness to use bookmakers for anything but cash transactions,with covid,and young ones prefering anything but cash,there days for on course must be numbered, people currently happy with industry sp,dont see what on course bookmakers have to offer,their clients who get a decent bet on ,will still be accomodated as they have in past,but not many bookies will want to try and make a living taking them on
Report howard July 28, 2020 1:03 PM BST
now the wife sees everything in the punter's  bank statement
Report ashleigh July 31, 2020 8:51 AM BST
only 2 bookmakers at the moment prepared to stand tomorrow, an advert has been placed on the tracks website for applications from rails bookmakers who would like to bet tomorrow.

would be better for no bookmakers to turn up tomorrow.Crazy
Report ribero1 July 31, 2020 9:27 AM BST
Word on the street is that there may be no bookmakers attend but there will be 40 Britbet outlets.
Report TheNorfolkMafia July 31, 2020 9:56 AM BST
The on course bookmakers have a chance to make a stand and say, "Cashless Betting, No Thanks", but I doubt if they will, as they are hardly known for sticking together!
Report morpteh mackem July 31, 2020 10:09 AM BST
will the tote be in operation on course ? just thinking re placepot, might be bigger pool than recent Saturdays.
Report TheNorfolkMafia July 31, 2020 6:28 PM BST
It doesn't matter now, there ain't going to be a crowd!
Report Escapee July 31, 2020 7:46 PM BST
No one seems to have mentioned.....

debit & credit card costs

It costs a business between 2% and 10% of each transaction to the card processing company.

These card processing companies also require an indemnity deposit from the business so that they don't carry the can
in the case of fraud.

The size of the deposit varies depending on the risk profile of the business. I don't know what it is generally
But I know one online gambling start up had to put up £250,000 to be able to process cards via World Pay.
Report clayfield1 August 1, 2020 5:27 PM BST
Don't think for one second that if they had 5,000 racegoers that they would have all been punters, maybe 10% would have wanted to have a bet on course. How many would have bet using their phones either onto here or with a off course bookmaker.
Report ashleigh August 16, 2020 8:50 AM BST
BOOKMAKERS BACK, a limited number of bookmakers allowed from tuesday,start of a 2 week trial for owners only,card payments preferred but bookmakers allowed to take CASH BETS.
bookmakers will have to wear PPE and have hand sanitiser for themselves and customers. 

york welcomed the news in time for the start of the ebor meeting on wednesday.
Report sparrow August 16, 2020 8:58 AM BST
Bookmakers will return to British racecourses on Tuesday for the first time since March in a two-week trial intended to establish whether they can trade safely under Covid‑19 restrictions. Limited numbers of bookmakers will be allowed at tracks, taking business only from racehorse owners.

“We’re going to trial it to see if it works,” said Paul Swain of the Racecourse Association. “After two weeks, we can either extend it, change it or stop it.” Although cards are the preferred method of transaction, bookmakers will be allowed to accept cash, in contrast to the Goodwood trial that was abandoned at a late stage a fortnight ago.

“It’s a bit of a buzz out of the blue,” said the veteran bookie Joe Huddlestone, who, along with Keith Johnson, will be allowed to take bets during York’s Ebor meeting that starts on Wednesday. “I’m not thinking my finances are going to change overnight.

“I haven’t missed an Ebor meeting in over 40 years and, funnily enough, I was saying to my wife that we’ve got kind of used to not going racing but it would really hit home if they’d had Ebor week without us. And lo and behold, now we’re going.”

Racecourse bookmakers have fretted about being the sport’s forgotten sector since racing professionals returned to action in June. They fear the world is moving on without them, as punters open online betting accounts and become accustomed to starting prices derived from high street firms rather than on-course trade.

As many as six bookmakers may be able to trade at Musselburgh a week on Wednesday, if the track gets the green light to test the return of spectators. It is understood the venue has asked the Scottish government to allow a crowd of 600 to attend. If approved, it would become the first trial of a crowd at a racecourse, a fortnight before the Doncaster St Leger meeting, which has already been named as a likely pilot event. Organisers are said to be putting the finishing touches to their operational plan.
Report Manoleeds August 16, 2020 10:11 AM BST
Must be hard to make a book just on owners who choose to bet on course.
Report GAZO August 16, 2020 10:35 AM BST
only cash betting will work with bookmakers because if you bet with your card you will probally end up just betting on your phone and racecourses should be getting worried about that because you can bet on your phone from a pub over the road from a racecourse and save on entrance fee
Report Nightfly August 16, 2020 11:33 AM BST
so is the transmission of the virus through cash handling, now safer than it was on Aug 1, or are the government making it up as they go along
Report The Pies August 16, 2020 12:00 PM BST
I don't know about making it up as they go along but more learning as we go along. It's not so long ago that no one other than a householder was 'allowed' into a household and now that's been relaxed a bit. There is still encouragement to pay in shops/ supermarkets with a card. Things that were deemed too risky weeks ago are now being viewed as an acceptable risk with the virus a bit more under control.
Report Nightfly August 16, 2020 3:27 PM BST
Lets be clear here, the only steakholder here, that has anything 'under control' here...Is The Coronavirus Covid 19
Report adge August 16, 2020 3:43 PM BST
cash is much safer than card...multi people handling card machines and pressing buttons compared with cash put into the satchel and virgin cash on paid out from the bookmakers pocket...nothing more than pure common sense
Report workrider August 16, 2020 3:50 PM BST
I really hope this works so the rest of us can get back on track, no pun intended...
Report The Pies August 16, 2020 4:32 PM BST
Agree with that Workrider but if the eventual ok to go back to racecourses comes with too many restrictions about where you can/ cannot stand then I'm out. I only go to midweek meets and I've no problem with not being allowed in bars etc nor being reminded to keep reasonable distance, wash hands, wear mask. I want to help racing get back to normal but not if it turns out to be more of a chore than pleasure.
Report Nightfly August 16, 2020 4:41 PM BST
biggest coronavirus infection daily increase just announced, confirming rising trend. its still only the summer..Agree though card machine, for pin inputs, just as dodgy as cash
Report workrider August 16, 2020 4:41 PM BST
Good post The Pies , hopefully we can get back asap...
Report GAZO August 16, 2020 5:42 PM BST
the biggest problem i can see for a day at the races is unless you just go and stay in a bar at the track,you are moving all around the course,from paddock to bookies to watching race,other sports you get to your seat and pretty much stay there until game is over
Report Nightfly August 16, 2020 5:57 PM BST
Well said Gazo - Youre going to have to stay in you 'pen' Not sure that's worth £30 to get in
Report The Pies August 16, 2020 6:02 PM BST
It might be Gazo but my understanding is that outside activities where contact with any one other individual is likely to be only fleeting is significantly less risk. I think the Govt's concern is that opening things up quickly creates the impression in peoples minds that things are now ok and they stop doing all the things that got infection levels down from what they were in April/ May. It's easily done, we went to Tesco on Friday and instead of washing hands straight away on returning I switched on the laptop to watch videos of a couple of races that I'd had bets in.

There was an article a few weeks ago on BBC asking if we had gone as far as we could in opening up on the basis that the more it appears we are back to normality the more that people will revert instinctively to their normal actions.
Report adge August 17, 2020 3:04 PM BST
can anyone confirm if there are two bookmakers at beverley tomorrow
Report ribero1 August 17, 2020 3:37 PM BST
Yes.
Report mrcombustible August 17, 2020 5:53 PM BST
How many are going to Fontwell and Kempton?
Report ribero1 August 17, 2020 7:00 PM BST
Its a maximum of 2 anywhere for the next 2 weeks.
Report dave d August 17, 2020 7:12 PM BST
hi joe are you attending the knavesmire wed/sat ....not having missed in thirty years lol ExcitedExcitedExcited
Report ronnie rails August 17, 2020 7:27 PM BST
Dave
done nearly 40 ebors  asked Joe yesterday if he needed a tic tac tic t for the 4 days so I could go.
cant tic though sad to say he did not need my services though.
so the only way I can go if a an owner gives me a badge.
Michael;  Derick are you reading this.
Report ronnie rails August 17, 2020 7:30 PM BST
sorry poxy computer
regards
Ronnie
Report ribero1 August 17, 2020 7:33 PM BST
Yes Dave,obviously Ronnie answered for me,not expecting much business but York have been great and looking forward to the racing.
Report dave d August 17, 2020 8:03 PM BST
hahahahha any excuse ronnie mate ..me too can only remember missing one of the ebors when held on the wednesday as hadto go to carlisle i think ///good luck in ya quest for a badge small steps and all that x PlainCool
hahahahha any excuse ronnie mate ..me too can only remember missing one of the ebors when held on the wednesday as hadto go to carlisle i think ///good luck in ya quest for a badge small steps and all that x PlainCool
Report mrcombustible August 17, 2020 8:12 PM BST
Owners now allowed 4 badges rather than 2
Report ronnie rails August 17, 2020 8:16 PM BST
Mr C
Have you got oneGrinHappyLaugh
have a good evening
regards
Ronnie.
Report ribero1 August 17, 2020 10:09 PM BST
6 badges per horse at York this week.
Report mrcombustible August 18, 2020 7:30 AM BST
Ronnie I have one for Fontwell today, not really my scene as I am a Lingfield AW man but anything will do at the moment.
Report ronnie rails August 18, 2020 8:06 AM BST
Mr C
After you first 3 words I thought my prayers had been answered .
the wife has just said since you wont be at York we can decorate the bathroom.
enjoy Fontwell.
regards
Ronnie.
Report mrcombustible August 18, 2020 8:02 PM BST
Two pitches at Fontwell this afternoon. Sid Hooper had both.Looked very quiet.
100 owners attended. The ring inspector was there!

No big screen.  Pre prepared food, sandwiches, wraps, salad etc. Bar open card only. Gents, all urinals cordened off, every 2nd sit down closed.
Able to talk to the jockeys and trainers with a 2m barrier inbetween
All felt very strange
I heard one guy at a tote terminal saying after the 3rd race that he had not taken a bet
Report dave d August 18, 2020 9:05 PM BST
saw the rossy bros pitch at beverley on tv looked pretty quiet ..few bodys sitting on benches nearby ..awaiting further details .....be interesting to see how ribero finds the knavesmire tomorrow..ExcitedLoveBlush
Report adge August 18, 2020 9:51 PM BST
i'm told that the cyril lynch pitch could not work originally as the one RDT man in attendance couldn't get the computer system to work
eventually , rossy lent him both a board and computer
they were only there as a token offering. just going through the motions..york should be much better if 6 badges per guest and allowed to stay all day
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com