Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mrcombustible
07 Jun 20 19:56
| Topic/replies: 3,346 | Blogger: mrcombustible's blog
All betting slips are off as bookies return after coronavirus
Sabah Meddings
Sunday June 07 2020, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

Punters will not be offered a cup of tea when they walk back into betting shops next week. Nor will they be encouraged to use a betting slip to back their favoured horse at Royal Ascot.

Measures brought in to stop the spread of Covid-19 have driven Britain’s biggest gambling firms to overhaul how their shops operate.

“We’ll be bringing in ‘call-over’ betting, where you make your selection, go to the counter, speak your bet and collect your receipt,” said Nicola Frampton, head of retail at William Hill. Customers, 90% of whom bet with cash, will be pushed to use contactless payments.

Betting shops are on a list of non-essential retailers allowed to reopen in England on June 15. Shops in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will reopen later. Operators will enforce strict social distancing measures, limit the number of customers inside and remove furniture to stop punters sticking around to watch events.

It will be a reputational balancing act for Britain’s big names, including William Hill, Paddy Power owner Flutter Entertainment and GVC, the owner of Ladbrokes Coral.

While they want customers back for the return of sport, including the Premier League on June 17, they do not want to be accused of exploiting those stuck at home or off work due to Covid-19. All have agreed to pause TV and radio advertising during lockdown.

When William Hill reopens, initially there will be no promotions. Posters will be limited to “welcome back” greetings, and advice to stay at home if feeling unwell.

“There’s been a lot of voluntary action taken by the industry in response to concern about incomes and wellbeing . . . we felt it wasn’t appropriate at this moment to be having massive promotions in the windows,” said Frampton.

Betting operators still expect big losses in their 7,315 shops after reopening. They are already smarting from a crackdown on betting machines that allowed players to gamble up to £300 a minute. Last year, the maximum stake for one spin was slashed to £2, driving revenue from the machines down from £1.1bn to £624m between October 2018 and September 2019.

Shareholders suffered, too. Shares in William Hill have halved in two years, closing at 153.8p on Friday. Until recently, bookmakers had enjoyed rapid growth. Gross gambling yield — the amount kept after winnings — had risen from £8.4bn to £14.3bn over a decade, partly thanks to the 2005 Gambling Act, which allowed betting companies to advertise.

Moves to restrict ads, including a whistle-to-whistle ban during sports events, could threaten this. Bookies also face pressure on costs as staff come off state support. William Hill has 8,000 staff on furlough; GVC has 15,000.

Smaller operators with little or no online presence will be under particular strain. “We’d be happy with 50% [of usual trade] in the first few weeks,” said Greg Knight, managing director of Jenningsbet. He plans to install plastic screens between betting machines and have a staff member act as “social distancing ambassador”.

GVC plans a “one in, one out” system at peak times, using remote-controlled door locks. Flutter is to remove comfortable seating in its Paddy Power shops.

“We recognise it’s going to be a different world,” said Dan Taylor, Flutter’s chief executive for Europe. “I’m acutely aware of the broader political environment . . . It is critical that we create a safe environment.”

Racing
Pause Switch to Standard View Bookies Shops in the new normal from...
Show More
Report San Quentin June 7, 2020 8:11 PM BST
"social distancing ambassador" you have to chuckle.
Report sixtwosix June 7, 2020 8:12 PM BST
Call out on a 10p e/w Goliath should be fun
Report Manoleeds June 7, 2020 8:23 PM BST
"Operators will enforce strict social distancing measures, limit the number of customers inside and remove furniture to stop punters sticking around to watch events."
Maybe they should take out TVs and just have a radio commentary.The commentator could be encouraged to give every horse a chance and have the last furlong last about a minute.
Report dave1357 June 7, 2020 8:29 PM BST
^ rapid late headway
Report sixtwosix June 7, 2020 8:32 PM BST
The commentator could be encouraged to give every horse a chance and have the last furlong last about a minute.

With the winner getting up on the line without a single previous mention in commentary.
Report elisjohn June 7, 2020 9:03 PM BST
contactless , thats a maximum of £ 30 isnt ?
Report mrcombustible June 7, 2020 9:11 PM BST
Contactless increased to £45
Report Deltâ June 7, 2020 9:24 PM BST
do a few rapid ones of those in a bookies and bank will soon put stop on card - NAP
Report elisjohn June 7, 2020 9:34 PM BST
do you know ive never used contactless, but my partner tells me you can only use it 3 times x45  so 135£, god i occassionly bet much more, eg i might have 3 or 4 £ 100 bets on freddies pushes etc, i sometimes put a grand on at 1/10
Report ribero1 June 7, 2020 9:57 PM BST
They've got to be seen to do the right thing but can't see them refusing a nice wad of cash if it suits.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves June 7, 2020 10:11 PM BST
Is contactless payout actually possible?
Report kevo June 7, 2020 10:15 PM BST
Contactless payments in betting shops.....might just be a reality check for some punters when they see their bank statements.
Report mukdahan June 7, 2020 10:17 PM BST
So instead of a slow count as the greyhounds are about to go off we will have a slow call over lol. Sounds like a Norman Collier sketch ffs.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves June 7, 2020 10:29 PM BST
Imagine trying to get a price from the cashier on some of those Hamdan al Maktoum beasts.
Report hulk23 June 7, 2020 10:35 PM BST
anyone asks to see a copy of your bank statement,  umm .. ok.  just ignore that 5k i spent in laddies on June 19th BlushBlush
Report elisjohn June 7, 2020 10:41 PM BST
does anyone know if freds is opening on the 15th?
Report kevo June 7, 2020 10:57 PM BST
Wasn't fred the first one out of the traps with the begging bowl signing up to the government 80% employee payment plan.
Report hulk23 June 7, 2020 11:09 PM BST
government paid his staff £4 an hour & fred paid the remaining quid ...
Report FOYLESWAR June 8, 2020 5:42 AM BST
contactless? most of the older shop  punters i know would not have a debit card ,cash only.
Report elisjohn June 8, 2020 5:56 AM BST
true, and a lot write a bet on with as much as about 20 selections in all kind of perms, which would take ages for counter staff to input.
Report FOYLESWAR June 8, 2020 6:32 AM BST
my son manages a billies elis and some of the bets written on slips you wouldnt belive  ,he takes pics of some of the more coulouful ones on his phone andon  one betting slip he showed me were about 20 different bets all in tiny writting totaling about £6, i needed a magnifying glass to try and decipher it , he has some tales of incidents in shops ,i am not computer techy (old school) but i will see if i can get him to load a few pics up of some of the bets he has had to deal with .
Report FOYLESWAR June 8, 2020 6:33 AM BST
can imagine that guy calling his bet over ^^^^Laugh
Report FOYLESWAR June 8, 2020 6:34 AM BST
just to add the 20 odd bets were all multis/accas trebles etc . no singles .
Report elisjohn June 8, 2020 6:45 AM BST
id say that 99.9% of people i see betting, pay cash , and a lot are the older brigade and there is no way theyll use a card
Report elisjohn June 8, 2020 6:50 AM BST
and again, good call on love yesterday at 12/1
Report FOYLESWAR June 8, 2020 7:49 AM BST
thanks elis and good luck.yes elis and a lot of them wont want to be jumping through hoops trying to open bank accounts in order to get a debit card so can see the shops loosing a lot of those core customers .
Report the artful dodger June 8, 2020 8:45 AM BST
When oncourse books allowed to trade again CASH we be 100% welcomed with open arms....theres nothing wrong with it...media scaremongering lol
Report ribero1 June 8, 2020 9:21 AM BST
It only says they are pushing contactless,they've got to be seen doing the right thing,they will know they couldn't survive without ca**** a PR exercise.
Report ribero1 June 8, 2020 9:21 AM BST
Strange?
Report skiptoomaloumacari June 8, 2020 9:43 AM BST
same in retail................Banks have own agenda for pushing contactless .......but cash is perfectly safe and CANNOT be refused...
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 8, 2020 9:54 AM BST
sticking all your placepot perms on one slip was a treat for settlers on a busy bank holiday
Report swampy117 June 8, 2020 9:55 AM BST
Most punters like their bets to be very confidential. Does not seem that way ,if you are calling your bets from 2 metres from the counter.If betting shops survive i will be amazed.
Report ----you-have-to-laugh--- June 8, 2020 10:01 AM BST
there once was a bookie called dot
who tried to settle my place pot
the bets were all writ
on one betting slip
so happy, she certainly was not
Report posy June 8, 2020 10:25 AM BST
Back in the 1960s I had a holiday job in Raper's cavernous betting shop in Doncaster ;there were a number of us clerks at the counter and the punters told us their bets which we wrote down
,gave the punter the top copy and retained the duplicate. As a lad of 16 at the time I learned a lot of exotics which I'd previously not heard of.
Report screaming from beneaththewaves June 8, 2020 10:26 AM BST
Will we be allowed to remain in the shop for the quarter hour it takes for our bet to be rejected?
Report xmoneyx June 8, 2020 11:02 AM BST
a 10 x e/w permed super yankee

number 1 - 3 - 5 horse

every punter in shop thinks your playing bingo
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com