Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheAnorak
27 May 20 11:24
| Topic/replies: 4,043 | Blogger: TheAnorak's blog
We're going to be watching some ten race cards in the coming weeks, with plenty of divided maiden races. So I was thinking back to a time when multiple divisions of a single race were quite common, producing nine and ten race cards - this was purely about flat meetings, as there's no doubt that NH racing holds the all time record for the longest meeting.

I remembered attending a meeting at Salisbury which had four divisions of a 7F maiden, and found that in September 1985. Those four versions of the Marlborough Maiden Stakes were added to two divisions of a 3-y-old fillies maiden over 10F, two handicaps over 7F and 1M, and the feature Dick Poole Stakes for 2-y-old fillies over 6F. That made up a nine race card starting at 1:15, with every race having at least 12 runners and a total of 137 runners.

But I also had a vague memory of one that would beat that, at Lingfield - and found that in October 1986 on a Monday afternoon. That card started at 11:30 and the first six races were six divisions of a 7F maiden, the EBF Willow Stakes, producing 92 runners. Remarkably, they were followed by another 2-y-old race over 7F 140 Yds and then three handicaps to complete a ten race card. The official going report was good to soft, changing to heavy after race three. I doubt if there was much grass left after 161 horses had run down the straight, no wonder they switched to AW soon afterwards!

So, can anybody beat a ten race flat card - or six divisions of a single flat race?
Pause Switch to Standard View A Long Day at the Races
Show More
Report Wesdag May 27, 2020 12:04 PM BST
Any reason why Newcastle is only have 8 races when there's been so many entries?

We should be looking at 12-14 race meetings like they sometimes do over pond.
Report Wesdag May 27, 2020 12:05 PM BST
*having
*the pond

Crazy
Report TheAnorak May 27, 2020 12:37 PM BST
They will divide the two maiden races to create a ten race card, with twelve runners per race. The limitation is the capacity of the racecourse stables, which at Newcastle is 124.

The rule about having a separate stable for every runner didn't exist in the 80's, and horses could be taken straight from their horsebox just prior to the race.
Report FrankRA May 27, 2020 12:39 PM BST
wesdaq.  They will probably divide once they know the final/5 day decs.imo
Report Wesdag May 27, 2020 12:44 PM BST
thanks guys Cool
Report top2rated May 27, 2020 2:08 PM BST
Here's a fairly recent 11 race Flat card...

Report Whippin Piccadilly May 27, 2020 2:37 PM BST
Looking forward to it, the more races the better IMO. I hope Kempton sets a new UK record on Tuesday Cool
Report TheAnorak May 27, 2020 2:46 PM BST
Kempton will only be able to run nine races, as their stable capacity is 115. So none of the nine scheduled for Tuesday will be divided, unless the BHA opt to drop the 'every horse must be in the stables' rule.

T2R,

Good one, I'd forgotten about Newmarket taking on some of the York Ebor races when the Knavesmire was under water.
Report Whippin Piccadilly May 27, 2020 3:21 PM BST
Shame. Maybe that rule can be dropped, just in the short-term? I think the majority of trainers would be agreeable to it and help with the logistical side of it all.
Report ged May 27, 2020 4:03 PM BST
I'm sure it's not the sort of thing you were asking for, but Wolverhampton had a 14-race card on 15/12/2012, and just under 3 weeks later, outdid themselves with a 15-race card.
Report luckyone May 27, 2020 4:29 PM BST
Top2rated that must be York not Newmarket
Report luckyone May 27, 2020 4:31 PM BST
Ignore that , just seen anoraks comments , forgot about the floods lol
Report saxon farm May 27, 2020 4:52 PM BST
Not flat racing but May 3rd at Warwick held a 12 race NH card.
It was the day West Ham beat Fulham in the FA cup final, think it was 5 races until just after kick off at 3pm and a further 7 from about 5-15.
At the time I was a 12 years old teetotal and a non punting enthusiastic racegoer!

I
Report ged May 27, 2020 4:55 PM BST
Leicester put on a 10-race card on 7/11/89, where the Hoby Maiden, a mile race for 2yos, was divided into 6. Sanglamore was beaten 3 lengths on his debut in the first of them. The smallest field on the card had 15 runners.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com