Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
stewarty b
26 May 20 16:16
| Topic/replies: 34,223 | Blogger: stewarty b's blog
I'm thinking October at the earliest. Any thoughts?
Pause Switch to Standard View Date on books and punters allowed...
Show More
Report foxy May 26, 2020 4:20 PM BST
August
Report adge May 26, 2020 6:55 PM BST
i'm leaning towards august too.
but with a reduced number of public with tickets bought in advance , racecourse members and a much reduced maximum number of bookmakers to be allowed
Report stewarty b May 26, 2020 6:57 PM BST
All due respect adge I don't think it will be the bookmakers that will be the problem. The exact opposite imho.
Report stewarty b May 26, 2020 7:03 PM BST
* my reason being you can distance bookmakers, but punters, especially on a boozy Saturday would be a recipe for a disaster.
Report morpteh mackem May 26, 2020 7:26 PM BST
could racecourses open and not sell drink ?
Report stewarty b May 26, 2020 7:38 PM BST
Yes mm but not a likely scenario given all tracks are desperate for all business. Plus it wouldn't be the first time I've smuggled a half bottle into Ibrox Stadium..
Report stewarty b May 26, 2020 7:38 PM BST
Yes mm but not a likely scenario given all tracks are desperate for all business. Plus it wouldn't be the first time I've smuggled a half bottle into Ibrox Stadium..
Report layingisthewayforward May 26, 2020 7:51 PM BST
Maybe they'll have to limit each person to 2 or 3 pints max.
Report stewarty b May 26, 2020 7:59 PM BST
Happy
Report ekbalko May 26, 2020 11:28 PM BST
No coaches.
Report ItsMeSwaddle May 26, 2020 11:45 PM BST
October Elbalko, just in time for the fantastic Yorkshire NH season! Grin
Report ekbalko May 27, 2020 12:09 AM BST
Roll on Wetherby.
Report the artful dodger May 27, 2020 8:28 AM BST
Hope you're right Adge, I'd settle for August.....the 1st August? ;-) To be fair I think racecourses will be one of the safest environments. People have been brainwashed into social distancing and the wide open spaces of racecourses will pose no problems.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 8:47 AM BST
Perhaps around 50 or so around. But no big crowds until 2021.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 8:47 AM BST
Remember Cheltenham!!
Report Trident May 27, 2020 8:56 AM BST
“large crowds” are unlikely until a widespread vaccine exist for Covid-19.
Report ribero1 May 27, 2020 9:17 AM BST
Think most are being over optimistic,have you seen all the restrictions for the few who are allowed in next week? they will obviously be lifted gradually but its still going to be a painstaking process for a considerable time and plenty will no doubt consider it more trouble than its worth.
Personally I would rather wait until things are as near back to normal as possible.
Report layingisthewayforward May 27, 2020 9:27 AM BST
Punters back on course by August at the latest I reckon.
Report truehoncho May 27, 2020 9:30 AM BST
Restricted public by July at the latest. There will be no reason to stop bookies if there are public there. I can even see the end of June being a possibility the way it is going. I think by September we will be seeing large attendances again.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 9:31 AM BST
The science is very strong regarding large crowds now. The problem is winter time for race courses when thousands of people would be inside. Only a vaccine, ubiquitous testing or vastly improved treatment will accelerate the pace of large gatherings without strict social distancing IMO.
Lets be honest UK public health officials have made it clear about Crowds and Sporting events.
Report truehoncho May 27, 2020 9:41 AM BST
ets be honest UK public health officials have made it clear about Crowds and Sporting events.  ---  I agree Trident, but I think a lot of these PH officials will lose credibility fairly soon. Their over zealous restrictions will soon become tiresome to a public that want to get back to work and normality (especially after the furlough has ceased). There has been a certain solidarity among politicians and other public figures chanting the 'support the NHS save lives' mantra but that won't last.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 9:41 AM BST
Sporting events such as football and Racing on public transport, imagine all crammed in train after train. Wouldnt work.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 9:55 AM BST
Truehoncho I respect your views too. I take on board alot of views on here and always willing to learn. I personally have quite alot of insight into this subject matter. Its my view that large events and mass gatherings can contribute to the spread of covid19. People who attend these events and  can introduce the virus to new communities.( That is what happened at the Cheltenham Festival & Liverpool match imo)

I dont see why you couldnt attend a large crowd gathering racecourse in a car and park up.
Report truehoncho May 27, 2020 9:58 AM BST
It won't matter Trident. I'm sure they will impose some token procedures to mitigate the risk but it will just be worked around. All this phased opening is just a PR exercise, you can't control a virus. You can't keep pubs and restaurants closed for too much longer, let alone gyms and leisure centres. The narrative will change and as the unemployment rises the concern for the virus will diminish. Even the most conservative estimates are putting unemployment at 4 million through the winter. These unemployed will be treated by the tory government with the same disdain that they always are, they won't get too many enhancements to their benefits or any preferential treatment. The mood will very quickly change.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 10:11 AM BST
Truehoncho you can control a virus. Contact tracing apps wont work, because of the potential of false negatives -positives, people arent going to trust the app too( they may help in some circumstances a map of only where youve been that only you see may be helpfull....     We NEED human contact tracing, extensive testing tracing,, human contract tracing. The countries that have developed Human Contact tracing has worked very well nearly eliminated covid19.
Report truehoncho May 27, 2020 10:20 AM BST
Maybe Trident, but I don't think so. Its all smoke and mirrors for me. This virus (according to the science) is as contagious as the common cold, try contact tracing that. Contact tracing is all very well and good in a social isolating environment, try it on Oxford high street at Christmas. Vaccines are a flight of fancy, just look at the effectiveness of flu vaccines (I have posted the flu surveillance reports),  they are at best partially effective. In the end we will have to live with this virus (personally I don't think that it is much to worry about but realise other people have different opinions) and just get on with things. The quicker the better and I think those that make the decisions know this and it is why I think that crowds will be back at sporting events sooner rather than later.
Report The Knight May 27, 2020 10:24 AM BST
Trident,

I am not picking on you but so much of what you post is very, very ill informed.

'Thousands inside during the winter'.

Yes, on the big Saturdays but Southwell, for example, averages around 275 for midweek winter fixtures. And they are well dispersed.

I keep telling you. The virus will have to be risk managed but there will always be a risk until it has gone. The only way of avoiding risk is to do as you think will happen and keep restrictions up in a big way but that will bankrupt the economy and more will then die in the long run because of no health service funds.

My bet for public allowed back - with some social distancing measure and possibly even CV19 waivers - is a date between September 1st to October 1st. BUT, where I do agree with you is that it will not be large crowds.

Annual members and ticket only with a crowd limit of 5k.

(5K being the number banned for large gatherings in Ireland until September 1st).
Report San Quentin May 27, 2020 10:32 AM BST
I do think spectators will be allowed sooner than expected (tickets in advance) As for books think that is a long time away even then numbers cut drastically. Courses will already be working on changes.
Report Trident May 27, 2020 10:33 AM BST
The Knight I was refering to the bigger meetings inside winter crowds. Ive never been that good at articulating my views thoughts and studying in an online forum in text. Maybe I will take a year break from betfair forum. Dont worry your not the only person who has, had a go at my views and opinion.Happy Lets hope for a June 1st startExcited.

Apologies if ive p**sed anyone off it was not my intention.
Report truehoncho May 27, 2020 10:42 AM BST
Trident has a good point there. What if you have 5000 people (women and children) outside and suddenly you have a thunder and lightening storm like we did at the Craven meeting a couple of years ago? You can't really stop people getting inside in those conditions!!
Report stewarty b May 27, 2020 11:11 AM BST
ribero1
Date Joined: 08 Mar 03
Add contact | Send message
27 May 20 08:17Joined: 08 Mar 03 | Topic/replies: 9,536 | Blogger: ribero1's blog
Think most are being over optimistic,have you seen all the restrictions for the few who are allowed in next week? they will obviously be lifted gradually but its still going to be a painstaking process for a considerable time and plenty will no doubt consider it more trouble than its worth.
Personally I would rather wait until things are as near back to normal as possible.

You're as near as the nail on the  head on that ribero.

I can't think of the three clubs involved but Spurs may be one of them. In the Premiership only three clubs out of the twenty depend in any way whatsoever in fans going through the turnstile. I made a thread about this unbelievable scenario about one year ago on the football forum.

The Premiership depends on one thing only....TV money and sponsorship. I can't remember the three clubs mentioned at the time but seventeen of them don't need one supporter  to go through the turnstile to make a profit. (That includes Man Utd)

An amazing stat but horse racing is a totally different ball game. (pardon the pun)
Report squares May 27, 2020 11:14 AM BST
Exactly, everyone just blindly runs for cover and huddles together - even under a very small covering outside such as an overhanging bit of roof.

Also people gathering together, be it at the screens, the winning post, the grandstand steppings, etc, to watch a race - and shouting the horses home.
Report truehoncho May 27, 2020 11:31 AM BST
Well Squares, I don't think anybody gives a fig. Last night my brother phoned me from North Wales to tell me my Aunt was dying (nothing to do with covid) and he wasn't sure if he should go and see her (they are still under lockdown in Wales). This morning I read an MP in N wales has been having a party in his house and police broke it up. It seems that those in authority don't worry about it so why should we?
Report foxy May 27, 2020 11:36 AM BST
The knight

Pretty sure the plan for Ireland is up to 5000 from August 10th not September 1st.and that plane as set out on may 1st and without wanting to speak to soon things have improved a lot quicker over there than anticipated,they look sure to bring the date for opening pubs forward.
Report foxy May 27, 2020 11:37 AM BST
Plan was not plane as
Report stewarty b May 27, 2020 11:51 AM BST
Would I be right in saying Ireland did not report one case of the Covoid virus today or was it yesterday?
Report posy May 27, 2020 12:14 PM BST
judging from my latest update from Ascot there will be no public racing in July/August.
Report foxy May 27, 2020 12:50 PM BST
Monday stewarty yesterday was Northern Ireland
Report stewarty b May 27, 2020 12:57 PM BST
Thanks foxy. As good as news as one can get.
Report foxy May 27, 2020 1:21 PM BST
Yep stewarty unfortunately we can’t improve on zero.
Report democrat May 27, 2020 4:28 PM BST
Will the Cambs and Ces take place in front of unrestricted crowds Foxy ?
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com