Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
KeMoH
24 Apr 20 17:02
| Topic/replies: 2,767 | Blogger: KeMoH's blog
OK, so since the lock-down began I have found myself having a dabble here and there on horse racing in the US, albeit to low-level stakes. Baring in mind I have been gambling for many, many years and never had any interest whatsoever in US racing; apart from the Breeders Cup - I have found myself doing incredibly well where profit is concerned.

For what it's worth, I am a long-term subscriber and advocate of Proform Racing when it comes to studying horse form in the UK - and have relied heavily on speed ratings for many a year now with a certain degree of success - especially on the all weather tracks over here.

Therefore, when I recently decided to have a nibble state-side I did a quick Google search for American horse form providers. After doing some research, I decided to give Equibase a go as their service seemed the be the most comprehensive and more along the lines of what I'm used to.

I am aware that it is still early days, but my initial thoughts are that such ratings (for speed/pace etc.) are far more reliable, accurate and informative in the US than when studying form in the UK. I also feel bookmakers over-price a lot of horses I fancy and bet on, so it's relatively easy to find value.

So, a few questions:

Has anybody else started to bet on US racing for the first time since lock-down started?
What do you use to study horse form in the US?
For those with some experience, is there any truth in speed & pace ratings being more reliable and accurate in the US than in the UK?

Any thoughts/replies greatly welcomed.
Pause Switch to Standard View I've discovered US horse racing; and...
Show More
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:10 PM BST
bob nudd thread
Report ZEALOT April 24, 2020 5:10 PM BST
https://www.livescience.com/38931-insect-gay-sex.html
Report KeMoH April 24, 2020 5:11 PM BST
This forum has definitely gone down hill. I knew there was a reason I don't post here anymore!
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 5:12 PM BST
kemoh = karl pilkington
Report KeMoH April 24, 2020 5:12 PM BST
I rest my case.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:13 PM BST
Laugh
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 5:14 PM BST
kemoh..post your last 30 days p&l..if in decent prophet i'll congratulate.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:15 PM BST
why bother then unless you desperate for cash
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:24 PM BST
so youve discovered a gold mine but want advice from people on here Confused
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:26 PM BST
more pony than a gymkhana
Report Platinum April 24, 2020 5:31 PM BST
KeMoH, the type of replies you are getting reminds me of why this forum has been dying for years and will continue to do so unless those with the huge ego's change their ways.

You have asked three perfectly viable questions and what do you get? Stupid replies like 'post your profit and loss' which is none of their business, the chavman pops up and says you have discovered a gold mine, which of course you have never said. The there is the silly zealot response.

Good luck with your efforts.
Report Platinum April 24, 2020 5:32 PM BST
*then
Report jamee1 April 24, 2020 5:35 PM BST
US racing much more reliable if betting to speed form. They tend to be run at a much more honest pace than UK.
Report luckyone April 24, 2020 5:37 PM BST
Well said Platinum
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:40 PM BST
"ive discovered US horse racing;and what a gold mine it is!"

now unless youre a serious pedant platinum the inference, if not the statement itself, is that hes earning bundles,no?
Report OilyWragg April 24, 2020 5:40 PM BST
Indeed, well said Platinum.

These silly replies hardly encourage onlookers to get involved in this forum which badly needs an injection of new blood.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:43 PM BST
charlatans with outlandish statements asking for help then getting called to account.
Report sparrow April 24, 2020 5:43 PM BST
We all have our preferences with regard to betting and that is how it should be. Nothing wrong with American Racing and a damn sight better for punting than some of ours.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:45 PM BST
yeah then nobody posts other than tripe like this.

how about.......im looking for US stats can anybody help
Report chavman April 24, 2020 5:48 PM BST
theres plenty of other forums out there but with no traffic....work it out for yourself
Report howard April 24, 2020 5:52 PM BST
Anyone mentioning gold mines should be posting a bit of recent action imo.
Report 23nights April 24, 2020 5:52 PM BST

Apr 24, 2020 -- 5:40PM, OilyWragg wrote:

Indeed, well said Platinum.These silly replies hardly encourage onlookers to get involved in this forum which badly needs an injection of new blood.

not a good day for coupling anything to do with america and the word injection....particularly disinfectantDevil

Report chavman April 24, 2020 6:00 PM BST
outlandish statements will draw scrutiny from some of the more sceptical forumites (of which there are many),but the op should be aware of that.

theres no malice in any of it.
Report howard April 24, 2020 6:02 PM BST
forum which badly needs an injection of new blood. We will even take them from Richmond upon Thames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERfx9uR24pg    19:10
Report MJK April 24, 2020 6:38 PM BST
Enzo following the Chapman route of every tip having to be in the first three in the betting, then criticising the jockey on the losing tip. Uncanny. Do any of these presenters actually do the form before their shift starts? What's the actual point in having them in the studio?
Report diabolicalliability April 24, 2020 6:41 PM BST
seems like alot of favs beat?
Report Cutter27 April 24, 2020 6:51 PM BST
Dutching and America bring in the money. Ask the weak layer, Salmon.
Report diabolicalliability April 24, 2020 7:01 PM BST
oh colours like the dogs dohh
Report Cutter27 April 24, 2020 7:03 PM BST
Ignorance, Sir, pure ignorance.
Report diabolicalliability April 24, 2020 7:05 PM BST
trueLaugh
Report Cutter27 April 24, 2020 7:08 PM BST
Verified.
Report sparrow April 24, 2020 7:12 PM BST
diabolicalliability 24 Apr 20 18:01 
oh colours like the dogs dohh

Have you never watched Kempton AW?
Report Gibberish April 24, 2020 7:16 PM BST
A decent forumite asks an intriguing set of questions and a stink-bomb goes off on the thread.

I thought I'd give this place another try with this lock-down going on and I've just been reminded
why I didn't make a post for over 4 years Sad
Report Cutter27 April 24, 2020 7:23 PM BST
Gibberish, ignore the planks of wood. Stay. You are interesting since you can conduct a couple of sentences.
Report diabolicalliability April 24, 2020 7:31 PM BST
thanks Enzo, never failsLaughLaughLaugh
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 7:50 PM BST
KeMoH 24 Apr 20 16:02 
I've discovered US horse racing; and what a gold-mine it is!

Platinum 24 Apr 20 16:31 
the chavman pops up and says you have discovered a gold mine, which of course you have never said.

i concur wiv craig...platinium isnt shining very bright. Wac.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 7:56 PM BST
I thought I'd give this place another try with this lock-down going on and I've just been reminded
why I didn't make a post for over 4 years

wheres the logic in that
Report Platinum April 24, 2020 8:00 PM BST
Yes willie, you and chav are right, goldmine is mentioned in the headline.

Please read the main text of his message where he says 'albeit to low-level stakes' hardly insinuating that he really had found gold. KeMoH clearly says that its early days and then asked three questions.

Did the thread really deserve the  replies it got?
Report chavman April 24, 2020 8:01 PM BST
convoluted contradiction
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 8:08 PM BST
I've discovered US horse racing; and what a gold-mine it is!

as a forensic profiler i'd decipher that as 'im making a mint'.
Report Platinum April 24, 2020 8:12 PM BST
Did either of you think about answering any of his questions or are you just here to ruin other peoples threads?
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 8:17 PM BST
if you have a gold mine,surely you then dont buy shovels?
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 8:19 PM BST
So, a few questions:

Has anybody else started to bet on US racing for the first time since lock-down started?
What do you use to study horse form in the US?
For those with some experience, is there any truth in speed & pace ratings being more reliable and accurate in the US than in the UK?

platty with due respect...thats hardly the post of someone thats 'found a goldmine'..

is it iyo?
Report Platinum April 24, 2020 8:29 PM BST
I'm sure the OP would admit to being a bit ott with the mention of a goldmine in the title.

But the contents of his main message was about using 'small stakes' and 'its early days' which put it all into perspective and imo the thread didnt warrant the type of replies that it got.

I stand by my statement that this forum is dying and has lost many good posters over the years. Any newbies are hardly being encouraged to post by people deliberately attempting to ruining threads. I often wonder what kick some get out of ruining someone elses thoughts.

Doesnt make sense to me. Live and let live.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 8:33 PM BST
theres hundreds who want to join so maybe e mail betfair with your worries
Report Platinum April 24, 2020 8:38 PM BST
Well done chavman, excellent reply.

I'm off for the night, enjoy whatever it is you are doing.
Report rooster booster April 24, 2020 8:40 PM BST
Has the Klondike of all systems been found ?
Report chavman April 24, 2020 8:41 PM BST
if  you were to eliminate free speech on here as has been seen with certain posters restricted the place was a graveyard with traffic much reduced.

if you dont like the critical element go and live in china,find a more constructive racing forum or more presciently stop denigrating freedom of speech
Report ItsMeSwaddle April 24, 2020 8:43 PM BST
OP - Id just be sticking to what you are doing, if you truly have any sort of edge it should naturally continue to pay.

When you get back to level prophet then reconsider your options.

I'm sorry I cant help with the information you need.
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 8:47 PM BST
are we supposed to suddenly take kemoh seriously?
Report leif April 24, 2020 8:51 PM BST
ought to be on the inscription, or part of therein, upon the Betfair coat of arms a recognition to those who found 'an edge'

No other way of making money otherwise.

A 'goldmine' is mere hyperbole perhaps.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 8:52 PM BST
so youve got a handful of seldom posters trying to hold forum main contributors to task.

tail wagging dog.
Report elise April 24, 2020 8:53 PM BST
are we supposed to suddenly take kemoh seriously?

it's not the "kemo" as in squirrel muppet if that's what you meant?
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 9:00 PM BST
im aware of that elsie..theres a h on end.
Report chavman April 24, 2020 9:03 PM BST
weve seen when it goes quiet on here......the forum dies.....ironic that people who dont post only come on for a supposed injustice
Report chavman April 24, 2020 9:04 PM BST
theyll post nowt otherwise
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 9:10 PM BST
how many doubloons has kemoh copped iyo?
Report rooster booster April 24, 2020 9:13 PM BST
Related to Long Dong Silver ??
Report elise April 24, 2020 9:18 PM BST
is it not all relative?  so say he was now getting a small profit but had previously lost, then to that type of punter it would indeed be a goldmine and developing a strategy or asking for help might be a sensible approach
Report elise April 24, 2020 9:22 PM BST
everyone who wins on here consistently probably kicked off by developing ways of working to suit their style, might have been arbing, or trading a tick for green, backing front runners or laying hold ups pre race then playing in the run, pure in running, draw, going stats, or a zillion other ways doesn't matter each to their own
Report Willie Shafter. April 24, 2020 9:31 PM BST
well all i nah is..if i'd suddenly discovered a goldmine i'd be doing max steaks and keeping schtum.
Report jamee1 April 25, 2020 1:21 AM BST
Mmmmmmmmm..... max steaks.....
Report yeahyeahwhatever April 25, 2020 10:10 AM BST
re: KeMoH - For those with some experience, is there any truth in speed & pace ratings being more reliable and accurate in the US than in the UK?

You may be familiar with the book Betting for a Living by Nick Mordin, who - unless I'm wrong - moved from UK to USA horse racing precisely because of speed and pace ratings and the better accuracy, and so advantage they gave him.  I'm pretty sure I remember reading something he'd written about the move and how he felt he'd wasted time on UK racing.  Some googling turn it up.

As for sites, www.drf.com is the main one that I'm sure you know about... when you compare it next to RP it makes you realise how lucky we are over here.

Off out now, but I can I find those articles I'll let you know.

good luck
Report peckerdunne April 25, 2020 12:56 PM BST
I've had a good month on US racing, a steady incline using a system that broke even or was plus or minus pieces in Britain is now returning a good percentage.

Stakes have been small and i found i needed to avoid certain meetings, but i will increase stakes slightly for May.
Report Iceman53 April 25, 2020 2:22 PM BST
Pace makes the race! How can you figure in UK how the race will shape up without the details of partial times and positions of each horses on each call, and these you find only USA past perfomances running lines ,DRF, Brisnet, Equibase, all of them are having all the details you might want to know.
Report Willie Shafter. April 25, 2020 3:50 PM BST
looks like everyones bagging up.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com