Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mcgill
05 Mar 20 12:35
| Topic/replies: 110 | Blogger: mcgill's blog
set to increase in price this weekend in time for Cheltenham Cry
Show More
Report Johnny_Mustang March 5, 2020 12:52 PM GMT
Nothing wrong with that.

You'd expect to pay more for a week in Italy in August when the majority want to go (maybe not this summer (*other years are available)) than you would in February. What were you expecting the RP to do, lower the price or keep it the same and miss out on additional copy sales at a better price?
Report mcgill March 5, 2020 12:56 PM GMT
every year there is a hike in price in march Confused
Report Johnny_Mustang March 5, 2020 12:57 PM GMT
Exactly, for reasons given above. And that's the way it should be.
Report loper March 5, 2020 1:00 PM GMT
Johnny seems to be under the misguided impression that the price will return to the pre Cheltenham price once the festival is out of the way.
Report Johnny_Mustang March 5, 2020 1:03 PM GMT
Not at all, but many thanks for patronising me. If you're going to increase the price at any given point in the year then do so when demand is at its highest.
Report loper March 5, 2020 1:08 PM GMT
So a week in Italy in February will now cost the same as in August, going by your logic, Johnny?
Report ashleigh March 5, 2020 1:10 PM GMT
lets hope cheltenham is off, and demand will be at it's lowest.Crazy
Report sixtwosix March 5, 2020 1:30 PM GMT
3.20 * 365 ........well over a grand already for all year .....that is a holiday or 50 bottles of malt whisky.
Report luckyone March 5, 2020 6:49 PM GMT
The price goes up on monday to £3.50 and the weekender will be £3.90 on wednesday
Report stewarty b March 5, 2020 7:23 PM GMT
Have to agree with JM to a certain extent. Ever notice when your energy supplier puts there prices up?
Report sparrow March 6, 2020 11:31 AM GMT
Obviously far too cheap at £3.20. Needs another 80p hike as last year's increase to make the round £4.
Report elise March 6, 2020 11:39 AM GMT
I'd pay a tenner just to read birch's column, getting the rest of the paper with it makes it a proper bargain
Report metro john March 6, 2020 11:43 AM GMT
Not sure of the costs of printing these days, but less would be better goes without saying £1.50 to get your hands dirty
Report sparrow March 6, 2020 12:10 PM GMT
They seem to think that everyone's life revolves around this bloody festival.
Report sparrow March 6, 2020 12:17 PM GMT
Of course assuming that not everyone receives a pay rise next week.
Report kevo March 6, 2020 12:26 PM GMT
When the bookmaker adverts gradually took preference over the racecards and the form in the printed edition, was when I cancelled my order. It was so long ago I can't remember when.
Report RothmanMike March 6, 2020 4:39 PM GMT
I stopped buying when it increased to £1.20
Report onlooker March 6, 2020 5:00 PM GMT
Cambridgeshire Day 2009 - kevo

The Racing Post FORM for the Cambridgeshire Handicap STOPPED at the letter -  'R' ... in order to accommodate Bookmaker Adverts on the FORM PAGES

Sod's Law then dictated that .... SUPASEUS Won - beating Tartan Ghia.
-----------

They obviously did not take note that the year before ... T[b]AZEEZ beat [b]Seele Tango
Report ashleigh March 9, 2020 11:23 AM GMT
sunday to friday £3-50, saturday £3-90, the price increase will allow us to continue investing in our racing coverage and data, with over 140 analysts,tipsters,sub-editors,columnists and reporters. 

our readers recognise the quality of coverage and your loyalty is something we deeply appreciate.Cry

should get rid of two-thirds of the staff,paper and price.Crazy
Report jmdc March 9, 2020 1:35 PM GMT
Pity the analysts can't still get it right!
Report sparrow March 9, 2020 2:06 PM GMT
Just 140 analysts,tipsters and other assorted wasters. Cry
Report Deptford March 9, 2020 9:53 PM GMT
I just can not work out how they justify the price, full of **** bookie adverts, and tipsters who could not tip **** out of a barrow, honestly, anyone buying this filth needs urgent medical attention. Sack 99% of the kooonts and charge £1, job done.
Report jonjon March 9, 2020 10:13 PM GMT
I just can not work out how they justify the price, full of **** bookie adverts, and tipsters who could not tip **** out of a barrow, honestly, anyone buying this filth needs urgent medical attention. Sack 99% of the kooonts and charge £1, job done.

Jesus this is spot on.
Report Poppydog. March 10, 2020 10:07 AM GMT
I've just bought my first copy since last year's Grand National

£3:50 was a bit of a shock

Tues 2012 copy in cupboard is £1:90

85% increase in 8 years
Report johnwayne March 10, 2020 10:11 AM GMT
price of a pint, cant understand what all the fuss is about
Report Deptford March 10, 2020 10:13 AM GMT
I would rather drink a pint of bleach than pay for the ****.
Report johnwayne March 10, 2020 10:15 AM GMT
a bit emotional deptford Laugh
Report geoff m March 10, 2020 10:21 AM GMT
im usually cleaned out after Cheltenham but in a more enjoyable way than DeptfordLaughLaughLaugh
Report Deptford March 10, 2020 10:21 AM GMT
In all honesty mate, its just a rip off, you are just paying all the tipsters wages, there is just no need for so many of them, and they have been given praise for a small mention of restricted accounts, how about an in depth look at it? No chance, cowards, every single one of them.
Report Gin March 10, 2020 10:26 AM GMT
If I remember correctly, the first time I bought a copy of the RP it was 25p! (circa 1987).
Report big aitch March 10, 2020 10:33 AM GMT
I used to buy the Sporting Life in the seventies, that was a great paper, stopped buying the Racing Post years ago.
Report Poppydog. March 10, 2020 10:33 AM GMT
As said with Johnny Mustang's reasoning, would he be happy if his week in Italy, the next February,
was the same price or more, than the week during the previous summer
Report truehoncho March 10, 2020 10:34 AM GMT
Is there anything in it you can't get free on the internet?
Report Deptford March 11, 2020 10:08 AM GMT
Fawning over P Kealy tipping Aura at 33/1, fair enough, but what about the other 400 losers he put up yesterday?
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! March 11, 2020 10:10 AM GMT
weekender

Nearly as cheap as a purchase from the
BABERS

Laugh
Report jmdc March 11, 2020 2:04 PM GMT
Disgraceful only two lines of form at Huntingdon for £3.50.  Tom Kerr you are a ****!
Report jmdc March 11, 2020 2:04 PM GMT
to$$er
Report jmdc March 11, 2020 2:06 PM GMT
Like the last chancellor - Editor in name only!
Report sparrow March 11, 2020 2:08 PM GMT
That's unbelievable jmdc. Is it the same for any other meeting today?
Report jmdc March 11, 2020 2:43 PM GMT
Yes sparrow, Lingfield and Kempton the same.
Report johnwayne March 11, 2020 2:50 PM GMT
thats what happens when they have no competition. too many wide boys
Report morpteh mackem March 11, 2020 2:52 PM GMT
rfo now 3.20 from 2.80
Report sparrow March 11, 2020 2:55 PM GMT
I thought about buying it today and then decided that £3.50 for a load of adverts and tipsters was just plain stupid. This happened before and I rang to complain but the man I spoke to was of a younger generation and simply didn't understand my complaint. He argued that many people bought the paper for other sports and not just racing form. The reality of course is that we will all subscribe on line and they can discontinue the paper version.
Report ashleigh March 17, 2020 7:29 PM GMT
paper got a feature on at the moment betting masterclasses with experts paul kealy,keith melrose,mark williams and james willoughby.
tomorrow we have a JAMES WILLOUGHBY masteclass on time-based betting, £3-50 to hear the racing post call willow a betting expert.CryCryCryCryCryCry
Report Dav_vin03 March 18, 2020 3:53 AM GMT
LaughLaughLaughLaugh
Report Ramruma March 18, 2020 8:12 AM GMT
Willo says speed figures are the best thing since sliced bread but that the algorithms boys in Hong Kong and Australia have beaten you to it with their superior figures and taken all the prices so don't bother.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/members/betting-masterclasses/james-willoughby-why-speed-is-of-the-essence-when-rating-horses/425817

Oh and sectional times. Willo says:
The most important rule: read and learn everything you can about sectional times. The pace of races is fundamental in understanding the true meaning of the figures which they produce. Speed figures without sectionals is like snooker without the pundit's pundit, Neal Foulds: you just won't understand what is going on as well.

The odd thing is that having recommended learning everything about sectional times, he does not actually explain them. Maybe this will be the subject of a later column.

Willo also gives some tips for the Dubai World Cup meeting.
Report windsor knot March 18, 2020 10:31 AM GMT
how on earth are they going to justify the price now ? what can they fill the paper with for the next month, two or even longer ? i might buy a copy in about 10 days time to see just how . will be a giant crossword hopefully , best bit of the post nowadays .
Report Reynard March 18, 2020 10:44 AM GMT
Just been out to get today's RP . All the form for Steepledowns and Sprint Valley and 4 pages of pricewise focussing on this afternoons 49's draw (numbers 5 & 18 2pts double recommended) Grin
Report Ramruma March 18, 2020 10:49 AM GMT
The Racing Post Guide to the Flat book will surely be the best ever now the writers have got a clear six weeks with nothing to distract them. Grin
Report sparrow March 18, 2020 12:19 PM GMT
I bought it on Monday as I needed something to read and found 2 pages filled with a line of form for the next day's Wexford card. Only a few days before they even omitted formlines for several cards as they "hadn't enough room"
Report madhatter March 18, 2020 1:35 PM GMT
£140 a year online. Has all the form for all the races.
Nothing else can possibly matter unless you are unable to make your own choices in a race.
Report sparrow March 18, 2020 1:42 PM GMT
I do use the online site for the backup form but still prefer to read the paper. I certainly don't bother with tipsters and as a result of these ridiculous increases only buy it if I'm attending the course.
Report jmdc March 18, 2020 2:50 PM GMT
£140 a year online. Has all the form for all the races.
Nothing else can possibly matter unless you are unable to make your own choices in a race.

£0 a year online.  Has all the form for all the races!
Report madhatter March 18, 2020 3:03 PM GMT
????
You saying I can get for free nowadays jmdc???
Chhers, Mad.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com