Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
TheNorfolkMafia
24 Jan 20 11:08
| Topic/replies: 33,605 | Blogger: TheNorfolkMafia's blog
I apologize for the lateness of this post, as I only found out today,

Maurice Gibbs sadly passed away peacefully in his sleep after a long illness on Thursday 9th January aged 87 at the St Christopher's Hospice, Sydenham.

Maurice, trading as Steve Gibbs had been a racecourse bookmaker for over fifty years, mainly on the Southern circuit and had still been working on the racecourse as recently as 2017.

He will be sorely missed by his family and friends.

R.I.P. Maurice, I'll always remember you with affection.
Pause Switch to Standard View Maurice Gibbs trading as Steve...
Show More
Report SlippyBlue January 24, 2020 11:43 AM GMT
Sad news, I remember him very well, he had a pitch at my then local dog track Catford for many years and I bet with him often.
Report foxy January 24, 2020 11:45 AM GMT
Didn’t know him very well but did always have a laugh with him on the few occasions we spoke .
Report lumponlarge January 24, 2020 12:18 PM GMT
My father had a share with him for years, about 40 years ago.
I used to Clerk for him when I was a teenager.
Not everyone's cup of tea, but he was a Real Gentleman and I always spoke to him about the old days when I used to see him on course.
Report Brian January 24, 2020 1:12 PM GMT
As a young man considering a career change, I met "Steve" in a pub in Streatham (South London) 1973ish to discuss taking a share in his bookmaking. I think he thought I was naive (correct) and to his credit didn't encourage me.
Often give each order a nod on the racecourse though whether he remembered where he knew me from, I don't know.
Report jmdc January 24, 2020 1:33 PM GMT
Usually bet in the second row on the southern tracks.  He never refused me a bet early seventies onwards.
Report SlippyBlue January 24, 2020 1:37 PM GMT
I met him in Streatham many times Brian, he used to go and watch races in the William Hills on the High Street when he wasn't working. I don't think I ever went to a meeting at Brighton with him not standing there. I went to school with his son Greg for a couple of years.
Report dr . atkins January 24, 2020 1:41 PM GMT
r.i.p used to say to me keep on walking
Report TheNorfolkMafia January 24, 2020 6:56 PM GMT
dr . atkins • January 24, 2020 1:41 PM GMT
r.i.p used to say to me keep on walking

Laugh
Report ronnie rails January 24, 2020 8:19 PM GMT
dr , Norfolk did he use to say Dionne warwick song walk on by
hope you are both well
regards
Ronnie.
Report TheNorfolkMafia January 24, 2020 8:39 PM GMT
Love
Report democrat January 24, 2020 11:51 PM GMT
A real character no doubt. One anecdote I can recall is an occasion of a punter asking him for a weighty bet at a Christmas Kempton meeting at the displayed odds  of 5/1. Steve's response was 'I'm sorry sir I was just about to rub that one out ( talking pre-computers here ) but I shall help you by keeping the price on the board while you get your bet somewhere else'. True class !
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com