Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
themightymac
15 Mar 19 01:47
| Topic/replies: 30,558 | Blogger: themightymac's blog
Not the greatest but your personal favourite.

Little Owl for me. Still can see him and AJ storming home. Got a nice new car thanks to him.
Pause Switch to Standard View YOUR FAVOURITE GOLD CUP WINNER
Show More
Report iamajambo March 15, 2019 7:36 AM GMT
Cool Ground for me for purely financial reasons: EW at 50/1.
Report second again March 15, 2019 7:38 AM GMT
Bregawn,had him in an ante post double with Saxon Farm.
Report Callisto-moon March 15, 2019 7:47 AM GMT
the one I back today if it wins.
Report lead on March 15, 2019 7:47 AM GMT
Master Oats for me for similar reasons...was convinced all season he would win and everything ,ground etc. fell right for him...Alderbrook winning the Champion Hurdle didn't do any harm either...incidentally I can't remember an other horse who had run in the National(he fell)winning the Gold Cup the following season...
Report superjudge March 15, 2019 7:52 AM GMT
the mighty denman for me
Report Deptford March 15, 2019 7:54 AM GMT
Burrough Hill Lad, had been convinced for ages he would win it
Report Makybe_Diva March 15, 2019 7:58 AM GMT
Coneygree Love
Report sixtwosix March 15, 2019 8:21 AM GMT
Silver Buck , unbeatable away from Cheltenham but like One Man did not come up the hill .....until 1982 beating Bregawn , Diamond Edge , Venture To Cognac and co in the biggest ever field.

Having said that Tied Cottage is my real fav , robbed of glory  in 1980
Runner up in 77 , falling at the last in 79 (I have the Schweppes calendar for the year showing this picture in the hall) lead them to two out in 1982 at the age of 14.
Report sparrow March 15, 2019 8:26 AM GMT
For financial reasons See More Business.
Report TEN2FOLLOWER March 15, 2019 8:29 AM GMT
Bob's Worth for £
Report sweetnsour March 15, 2019 8:32 AM GMT
desert orchid by far
Report penzance March 15, 2019 8:42 AM GMT
Jodami a drifter on the day,ground reservations.
Report gaviscon March 15, 2019 9:24 AM GMT
dawn run 1986
Report salmon spray March 15, 2019 9:46 AM GMT
Arkle really but in recent years definitely Kauto Star. May not have been better than Denman or a few others but he looked so good,particularly in his 2nd win.
Report sixtwosix March 15, 2019 9:47 AM GMT
The 5 pound allowance that stopped Wayward Lad winning the Gold Cup in 86 ,makes this not a favourite.
Report p_r_e_m_i_e_r__f_a_n_t_a_s_y March 15, 2019 9:50 AM GMT
DENMAN Love
Report sageform March 15, 2019 9:52 AM GMT
Very hard but the one I admire most is Best Mate. The first one I saw on TV was Pas Seul.
Report 1st time poster March 15, 2019 10:15 AM GMT
denman putting the after burners on passing the stand going out on final circuit,

best mate accelerating down the hill in his 2nd gold cup
Report stewarts rise March 15, 2019 10:19 AM GMT
Definitely Kauto Star in recent times, but the gold cups of 73/74 take some beating for excitement so probably have to say Captain Christy winning as a novice.
In those days we all loved Pendil and willed him to win this race but wasn't to be, faltering on the run in when touched off by The Dikler(a classic Winter/Walwyn) battle.
In 74 they renewed rivalry but unfortunately Pendils jockey got too close behind dodgy jumper High Ken and when High Ken fell on the 2nd circuit Pendil was brought down, leaving The Dikler and novice Captain Christy to battle it out, despite making a bad mistake at the last Captain Christy got up to win fairly easily.
Watch the video here and notice how one of the earlier fallers goes @rse over tip again at the 2nd last! Always remember that High Ken came out nto in i think a hunter chase(may be wrong) and won at 6/1.
Probably nostalgia but the really great days of jumping imo. Captain Christy proved however that Pendil wasn't really unlucky by slaughtering him by 30 lengths in the King George afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FIR-a1d230
Report impossible123 March 15, 2019 10:20 AM GMT
Desert Orchid: He gave weight and beatings to so many good horses over different trips eg 2m, and in so many of the big 3m+ trials eg Whitbread (I think).
Report Ibrahima Sonko March 15, 2019 10:28 AM GMT
I agree with MD. Coneygree, i followed him after the day he routed them at uttoxeter over hurdles.

After that anything trained by Jenny Pitman, she was my idol when i was a nipper.
Report Cantthinkofaclevername March 15, 2019 11:10 AM GMT
It has to be Norton's Coin for me. You don't back many 100/1 winners but the price was such an insult to the horse's ability, I had to have a few quid on.
Report sageform March 15, 2019 12:43 PM GMT
Just watching a feature on Jodami who was a horse I loved. It was so frustrating that Mark Dwyer was stable jockey as he never made use of the horses stamina which got him beat in the Hennessy and in his second Gold Cup by the French horse who had flat race speed off a very slow pace. In his bumpers and hurdle wins he always jumped off in front and kept getting further in front. As soon as Dwyer got on he was always held up which paid off behind Rushing Wild who had burnt off the rest by 3 out and gave Jodami a lovely lead. He should have won at least one if not 2 more Gold Cups.
Report The Spinmaster March 15, 2019 12:54 PM GMT
Loos like Trouble (purely for financial reasons) as had given out the tip to a number of day trippers.
Report The Spinmaster March 15, 2019 12:55 PM GMT
Oops ^Looks
Report pumphol. March 15, 2019 1:34 PM GMT
Norton's Coin your never find one in the winners enclosure again at 100/1 in the Gold Cup.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com