Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
StillLearning
14 Apr 18 17:36
| Topic/replies: 10,373 | Blogger: StillLearning's blog
Always looks shifty to me
Pause Switch to Standard View Gordon Elliot dodging interviews again
Show More
Report MJK April 14, 2018 5:38 PM BST
A compulsive liar, if he was 1 million ahead of Mullins with 1 day to go he'd still say he won't win it.
Report carrot1960 April 14, 2018 5:43 PM BST
Better than giving her a smack in the mouth ortelling to f**k 0ff
Report nashwan1965 April 14, 2018 5:43 PM BST
horrible fat fella bent as a *unt
Report gutfeeling April 14, 2018 5:47 PM BST
Take it no one here has met him then.
Report Vubiant April 14, 2018 5:47 PM BST
It's not a personality contest .  HTH
Report GAZO April 14, 2018 5:48 PM BST
allowed to get away with a lot in ireland the way some of his horses run and then improve
Report nashwan1965 April 14, 2018 5:49 PM BST
yep gazo hope he chokes on his champers
Report gutfeeling April 14, 2018 5:55 PM BST
He'll be having a pint.
Report TheFear April 14, 2018 5:56 PM BST
thought that headline said doping when i first read it
Report SPOT THE DOG April 14, 2018 6:29 PM BST
Was Gordon Elliot bought up in a Caravan?
Report gutfeeling April 14, 2018 6:34 PM BST
^^ Dat.
Report Tiger Tiger April 14, 2018 7:09 PM BST
Gordon Elliott is simply a fantastic trainer of a racehorse.
Oh and one thing for sure is he can train horses better than most plum sounding Irish Pr1cks ....
Report MJK April 14, 2018 7:10 PM BST
He has the Midas touch no doubt. Proved the old saying that everyone is good at something. He has certainly used the skills he was given, not all of us can say that.
Report StillLearning April 14, 2018 7:10 PM BST
Ooops, sorry Gordon.
Report MJK April 14, 2018 7:11 PM BST

Apr 14, 2018 -- 12:33PM, workrider wrote:

Ye all should be ashamed of yourself's ffs, guy admits to be barely able to read or write, so expecting him to be media savvy is unfair. One thing for sure is he can train horses better than most plum sounding English Pr1cks ....

I hope you got drunk after watching that last nightCry

Report the.mad.dog.man April 14, 2018 7:13 PM BST
is he a pikey then
Report Whippin Piccadilly April 14, 2018 7:15 PM BST
A seriously talented trainer. That's all I really know about the guy.
Report FOYLESWAR April 14, 2018 7:27 PM BST
seems ok to me
Report jumper3 April 14, 2018 7:33 PM BST
Didn't know the story about being poor at literacy. He also, like Davy Russell, come across as sound. Obviously has the knack to train a racehorse and learnt from Martin Pipe. I' say he must have a thorough and professional team behind him as well, it seems quite an operation there.

Maybe Giggingstown's role as owners is also a positive. He trans them, they worry about placing them.
Report Nogoody April 14, 2018 7:37 PM BST
I've come across plenty of Cream Crackers in my time and Elliot is far from being one. A decent man who'd do you a turn, so ****. off slimy ****.s.u.c.k.e.r.s., the man's a genius.
Report youwillblucky April 14, 2018 7:40 PM BST
Horses win races , not trainers , lol , people tend to forget that . Give a trainer a donkey  , no one wins with it ! They do a job , that¬s all ......
Report TheFear April 14, 2018 8:08 PM BST
i like gordon but he's not a genius. 1.01 the big 2 in ireland and hendo here have carrots that are better than anyone else's
Report G Hall April 14, 2018 8:35 PM BST
Have to agree with the fear.
Report cardifffc April 14, 2018 8:44 PM BST
think hes great myself..........top top trainer...............wonder if he will go big on the flat.......think he would do well if he did
Report SoYouThink April 14, 2018 10:12 PM BST
When it comes to training, only Mullins and Henderson come close to Elliott, but he could give more than a sentence when being interviewed. He always has to rush off for the photo.
Report Ibrahima Sonko April 14, 2018 11:13 PM BST
I like him, i dont care if he isnt super smart.

He answers the questions from the media on how they should be answered, with disdain.
Report isleham April 14, 2018 11:19 PM BST
Few saddos on here who obviously hate anyone being an achiever
Report jimeen April 15, 2018 9:16 AM BST
Admitting to being barely able to read or write is a load of bawloxx. I’d say he can read or write a lot better than the clown who posted that absolute pile of shiite.
That nugget is coming from workrider, a chap who has the intellectual capacity of a 10 year old .
Report BennyBinion1 April 15, 2018 9:20 AM BST
A forum saying sums Elliott up...

'If he said today was Sunday, I wouldn't believe him'
Report cardifffc April 15, 2018 9:23 AM BST
what would irish racing be like if there was no GE and willie mullins had the majority of the gigginstown horses
Report geordie1956 April 15, 2018 9:48 AM BST
Some rubbish posted; somebody said give trainer a donkey & he can't win with it but there are plenty of trainers who given a good horse would soon have it running like a donkey
I don't if he has an intelligent mind but he knows enough about racehorses to get them to win - that'll do for me
Who care if trainers don't give an interview after a race; I've heard a few before races are run & i'm still none the wiser if their horses are likely to run well
Report jumper3 April 15, 2018 10:08 AM BST
I would look again at his 2nd and 3rd strings in these big races. Not being dodgy, it's just that he has such firepower in his ranks, in sheer numbers, never mind Russell and Kennedy's abilities and very able deputies in the likes of Donoghue. Clear evidence he is still getting some big priced winners, taking aside the Irish GN when he had so many entries in the first place.

Also, almost forgotten this week. The GN was the only race the Irish targeted in numbers, other races only had selective Irish entries but a handful of winners anyway ensued. The GN - blew mostly the GB trainers out of the park. Can't see many GB trainers coming over to Punchestown.
Report domino14 April 15, 2018 10:29 AM BST
Having spent most my life riding horses, I would argue with the person who says anyone can train a good horse, no one can train a bad horse. This is simply untrue.

Anyone can get a racehorse fit, but placing it in the right races is the art of a good trainer or the people that assist him.

Some trainers are simply not very good at placing horses, and it's made harder by having owners who always want to run at big tracks.

I used to ride one horse for a trainer who always ran at your Newbury's, Goodwood's, Ascot's and so on. Yes always in 0-80s or 0-85s but the horse wasn't good enough to win in that company. When the horse was sold rated 69 out of the yard, it improved a lot from running at lesser tracks for a smaller trainer. It ended up winning a decent handicap at Newmarket as this time it had confidence.

But you can give an average horse to a small trainer and they will get a lot more out of it than a big trainer will. Give a group horse to a small trainer and they probably wont get it to achieve what a big yard will as they dont have other horses like it at home to help it progress.
Report domino14 April 15, 2018 10:29 AM BST
Having spent most my life riding horses, I would argue with the person who says anyone can train a good horse, no one can train a bad horse. This is simply untrue.

Anyone can get a racehorse fit, but placing it in the right races is the art of a good trainer or the people that assist him.

Some trainers are simply not very good at placing horses, and it's made harder by having owners who always want to run at big tracks.

I used to ride one horse for a trainer who always ran at your Newbury's, Goodwood's, Ascot's and so on. Yes always in 0-80s or 0-85s but the horse wasn't good enough to win in that company. When the horse was sold rated 69 out of the yard, it improved a lot from running at lesser tracks for a smaller trainer. It ended up winning a decent handicap at Newmarket as this time it had confidence.

But you can give an average horse to a small trainer and they will get a lot more out of it than a big trainer will. Give a group horse to a small trainer and they probably wont get it to achieve what a big yard will as they dont have other horses like it at home to help it progress.
Report somemuppet April 15, 2018 10:37 AM BST
Theres a few idiots on here.. get a grip of yourselves.
Report Nogoody April 15, 2018 10:55 AM BST
Sincerest apologies for intemperate language yesterday, I was sitting on the outside of a bottle of Jameson, paid for by Tiger Roll.
Report Tiger Tiger April 15, 2018 12:03 PM BST
Nogoody, nothing to apologize for, you were quite correct.
Report kevo April 15, 2018 12:30 PM BST
A lot of innuendo from a few posters that the use drugs are the reason for the success of irish trained horses at Cheltenham and elsewhere.

Can these posters give one tiny shred of evidence as to why they made these assumptions?
Report Crawford April 15, 2018 12:44 PM BST
Definitely NOT a fat p1key.
Report GAZO April 15, 2018 1:20 PM BST
he doesnt cheat as such but irish racing apart from big meetings is uncompetitive,a trial race yesterday o'brien had 3 out of the 4 runners,are they really all going to push each other trying to win that race and you see instantances all winter like that
Report gutfeeling April 15, 2018 2:07 PM BST

About as correct as it gets regarding group animals, The bit about owner interference too, Many a potential great horse been ruined by wanting to run before they could walk & when you're in a small yard the problem is if you don't run they just move them to someone who will.

For me the best trainers do well with bad stock, Those mid range horses with bad knees who you have to nurse along every morning, Those who get them to win a few on the bounce due to attention to detail & considerate handling would be the top trainers but they'll never get the stock as it's rarely about ability more about who you know & how much c@ck you're willing to chow down on. ( Not knocking those at the top btw just stating what I've seen as there's many a clueless trainer proclaimed as geniuses when majority of the time it's down to good staff & decent riders, Something else which is hard to come by nowdays )
Report duffy April 15, 2018 2:21 PM BST
The "placing" horses praise is a bit silly...he's got so much firepower he can place them anywhere.

Praising someone for "placing" is better served when talking about someone with a lot less ammo and needs to really dig out a win or two.
Report gutfeeling April 15, 2018 2:30 PM BST
That'll be why I don't praise O'Brien, Not saying he isn't good at his job but with his backing he can throw 3 or more at every listed / group race in the calendar year if he wants to.
That's not genius imo that's just a numbers game.
Report domino14 April 15, 2018 3:27 PM BST
@Duffy

In order to win the amount of handicaps at any level, which he does you have to be good at placing your horses. Placing your horses isn't just about winning with them, it's about getting them rated correctly and so they can win races. It's far easier to win a Group race with a very good horse, than it is to win one of the biggest handicaps in racing with a horse of similar ilk.

If you want to look how not to place your horses, take a look at Sir Michael Stoute, John Gosden, Roger Varian and in many ways Aidan O'Brien. They ruin over 50% of the horses they have in their care of over facing them, however those horses are often retired or given away with NRA to save face when it lands with a small trainer and progresses.

If you ever want to see how to place good horses correctly, I advise you to take close notice of William Haggas, the man is a genius, who does everything just right. He can place his horses correctly, rarely wastes good entries and can win races even with very average horses. He however rarely gets given the top bloodlines, but if you gave him Stoute's and Gosden's horses he would do far better with them on the whole.
Report domino14 April 15, 2018 3:32 PM BST
@gutfeeling

I personally think your last paragraph sums up Richard Fahey, Mick Appleby, Mick Channon and Brian Ellison to a T.

Brilliant trainers, who can win with a lot of bad animals and do very well with what they've got. Some will question me including Channon, but he doesn't have anywhere near the firepower he once had. The Sheikh's abandoned him and the majority of his horses are cheap homebreds. Yet they win in their grade and the way his cheap 2yos have hit the ground running this year somewhat suggests he's gone back to what he was like in his Lambourn days before the Sheikh Ahmed and Jaber Abdullah days came. Mick has also produced any number of decent trainers. Paul Deegan, Mark Wallis, Mark Walford, Joe Tuite, George Peckham, Tony Coyle, all hail from the school of Channon.
Report onlooker April 15, 2018 5:01 PM BST
Who 'Places' Gordon Elliott's horses FOR him ...because the bloke, by his own admission, can barely read or write.

He HAS to have a 'right-hand man', therefore.
Report domino14 April 15, 2018 5:14 PM BST
Used to be Olly Murphy, but think Ian Amond and Zoe Winston most the entries now.
Report mouse muldoon April 15, 2018 5:18 PM BST
Correct, and they are also responsible for the ordering of pizza.
Report neill d April 15, 2018 5:25 PM BST
An awful lot of poor trainers in the UK now.
Report gutfeeling April 15, 2018 5:33 PM BST
While someone else will make the entries onlooker it'll be the trainer who tells them what races to look for (Ie the trip, Type of track, Likely going ect ect) as between what he see's at home & the input from staff around him they should be able to work out a horses optimum conditions.
Report gutfeeling April 15, 2018 5:39 PM BST
@domino14

If you're a photographer round the gallops I'd guess you know Chris Bourchier, Used to see him around but not so much nowdays.
Report Cutter27 April 15, 2018 5:42 PM BST
Where did this bloke come from? I've not followed in a while, and within ten years he and his girth appeared?
Report Vubiant April 15, 2018 6:27 PM BST
I'm sure Gordon E must be pretty handy at what he does  - but I wouldn't buy a used car from him. Grin
Report Cutter27 April 15, 2018 6:31 PM BST
Why is the fellow so packed with lard at such a young age?
Report mouse muldoon April 15, 2018 6:40 PM BST
Why is the fellow so packed with lard at such a young age?

You have obviously not had much recent experience with schoolboys, cutie. How long has it been?
Report Cutter27 April 15, 2018 6:43 PM BST
The last time I was on here, the bloke didn't even exist, so where has he come from, Mouse. Which owners have backed him?
Report mouse muldoon April 15, 2018 6:43 PM BST
He's the son that Martin Pipe wishes he'd had.
Report mouse muldoon April 15, 2018 6:44 PM BST
(not in that sense)
Report Cutter27 April 15, 2018 6:48 PM BST
I can't see such a big fellow being produced from such a small fellow?
Report mouse muldoon April 15, 2018 6:49 PM BST
He produced a tall fellow, but he taught G.E. how to train.
Report Cutter27 April 15, 2018 7:04 PM BST
Well, G.E. has done well then, as all learn from their teachers. Michael Dickinson didn't though.
Report domino14 April 15, 2018 7:47 PM BST
Gordon Elliott was with Harvey Martin and then Pipey, scarily he then went to Ted Stanners in Compton and was overlooked for assistant for Daniel Mark Loughnane. Gordon decided to head to Ireland to originally train pointers, whilst Mark was assistant for Ted before training in his own right. Ted Stanners was clearly an excellent judge!
Report cloone river April 15, 2018 7:49 PM BST
Michael Dickinson was sent some of the best horses around.By a smart Irish man.
Report Cutter27 April 15, 2018 7:57 PM BST
Yes, that is well known, Clown, but he had to train them, and bring out the best in them, and all trainers and those in the know, this is the hardest task, and the guinness was one of those little benefits, which brought out the best of English training and Irish investment.
Report cloone river April 15, 2018 9:40 PM BST
Thats good you know that cracker.I wont ask you to name him.
Report STELLAR MANIPULATOR April 15, 2018 10:05 PM BST
Was talking to a shrewd Irish racing professional recently who said he has not seen such a genius as GE in Irish Racing in the last fifty years and he didn't exempt either O'Brien or Mullins from that assessment
Report cloone river April 15, 2018 10:13 PM BST
They are probably right stellar.He also has a great team around him and knows how to campaign his horses.
Report STELLAR MANIPULATOR April 15, 2018 10:18 PM BST
The literacy issue with Elliot has been well aired but I remember a friend of mine who worked with APOB while at Coolcullen being withering in her assessment of him at that time - the bottom line is that handsome is as handsome does , and results speak for themselves as racehorse trainers ( even if the individuals in question don't inspire confidence in certain respects or don't fit the prototype of what we consider 'genius' in other spheres )
Report cloone river April 15, 2018 10:30 PM BST
Why I think he is so good,is if you look back to his early days how he placed his horses and got wins out of them.
Report Facts April 16, 2018 12:18 PM BST
workrider    14 Apr 18 18:33 
Ye all should be ashamed of yourself's ffs, guy admits to be barely able to read or write, so expecting him to be media savvy is unfair. One thing for sure is he can train horses better than most plum sounding English Pr1cks ....

Well said. Disgusting and ignorant comments on here.
Report Jumping-cuckoo-monk March 6, 2021 6:26 PM GMT
Terrible workrider though
Report StillLearning March 6, 2021 6:38 PM GMT
blimey this aged well haha
Report jackboo March 6, 2021 6:40 PM GMT
give him a life ban
Report Ramruma March 6, 2021 6:46 PM GMT
On the subject of Gordon's utterances, it should be noticed that after his initial disastrous statement last weekend, Gordon employed a PR firm to issue his contrite statement after the hearing.
Report Ramruma March 6, 2021 6:47 PM GMT
Or at least, his statement was issued through a PR firm, whether Gordon's idea or the IHRB's.
Report 1st time poster March 6, 2021 8:12 PM GMT
and straight back to a pish taking statement tweet today which they had to remove the last line
i,ll be around to assist and offer help
Report duffy March 6, 2021 8:20 PM GMT
Absolute class tweet here:

David Johnson
@davidjohnsonTF
Sneezy has taken over the licence, but seems Dopey is still doing the PR.

Take a bow sonLaughCool
Report 1st time poster March 6, 2021 8:25 PM GMT
LOL
Report Ramruma March 6, 2021 8:54 PM GMT
Gordon Elliott illustrates David Cameron's maxim that too many tweets might make a ****.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Mrfut-FSw

@davidjohnsonTF wins the internet though.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com