Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
jamesdean
17 Feb 18 12:26
| Topic/replies: 21,043 | Blogger: jamesdean's blog
Make no apologies for the block capitals in title, it's important.

When logging into betfair using the 2 step google authenticator the 6 digit code is showing up on the screen.
It usually comes up as stars each time you type one of the 6 digits in for security. Now the actual numbers are visible

Anyone know how to fix this or have the same issue?
Pause Switch to Standard View SECURITY ISSUE LOGGING IN USING 2...
Show More
Report shady69 February 17, 2018 12:36 PM GMT
My digits have always shown as digits when I type them in as far as I'm aware James.
Report jamesdean February 17, 2018 12:46 PM GMT
Strange shady. Mines has always showed stars, the same as when you type in your basic password
Only today first time in 6 month or so its showed the actual numbers and worst of all they stay there on the screen until you log in
Report shady69 February 17, 2018 12:58 PM GMT
Are you using the website or the app ? I only ever use the website and have used 2 step for a good couple of years now and the numbers have always shown up for me. You're right about it being stars on the password bit. Maybe it's different for different browsers ? I always use Chrome.
Report jamesdean February 17, 2018 1:00 PM GMT
Website as well. I did delete my cookies this morning so maybe that has done something? Using same browser as always
Report shady69 February 17, 2018 1:02 PM GMT
One of life's mysteries James, like how did First Experience win the first race at Lingfield ... Cry
Report Virgin February 17, 2018 1:07 PM GMT
1st 3 well clear Shocked
Report jamesdean February 17, 2018 10:43 PM GMT
Anyone else use 2 step can confirm if numbers showing up is normal or not?
Report ABEX February 17, 2018 11:22 PM GMT
Hello jamesdean I had and have stars for the site and gruss.When you log on in betfair site put the 2 aut. 6 digit straight after the password, do not change the page. Have you got the password AND the 6 digit visible? I hope not .If your answer is yes I would start to be concern.
Report dave1357 February 17, 2018 11:51 PM GMT
If you are typing in the pass and the 6 digit code and it shows clear, check your browser settings as you might have ticked a show password option somewhere.  The extra box for the six digit code that appears if you put in the pass but forget the code is clear.
Report longbridge February 19, 2018 10:55 AM GMT
It's no security risk - the 6-digit code is a one-time use one and only valid for what, 30 seconds?  So there's nothing anyone looking over your shoulder can do with it.  It's not like your password which is valid until you change it.
Report TheBaron February 19, 2018 12:42 PM GMT
I have to put the code (different) in twice.
Report dustybin February 19, 2018 1:54 PM GMT
longbridge nailed it
The number is a one time use
Even if somebody saw it and attempted to use it within 30 seconds it wouldnt work
Report dustybin February 19, 2018 1:55 PM GMT
Unless the window cleaner looking over james' shoulder pressed enter before him
And given james' track record IR theres every chanceDevil
Report Deltâ February 19, 2018 1:58 PM GMT
tbf the window cleaner may have got in the a/c and often posts Stewards Enquiry threads on the Forum when there's zero chance of one.
Report dave1357 February 19, 2018 2:08 PM GMT
TheBaron    Joined: 18 Jan 08
Replies: 1752 19 Feb 18 12:42 

Settings > time correction for codes (or synchronise)

Don't go on holiday again
Report jamesdean February 19, 2018 2:33 PM GMT
Even if only there for 30 secs, it never used to show at all. It would just show black circles like when type in normal password
Why has it changed to show the numbers now, surely that shouldn't happen?

Canny afford a window cleaner these days dusty. Maybe be able to pay one next week now the eye patches are off..
Report dave1357 February 19, 2018 2:44 PM GMT
Are you saying that you type in your password and then when you change to the numbers of the code it goes clear?  That is impossible.
Report jamesdean February 19, 2018 2:51 PM GMT
No. When I type in my standard password, instead of the actaul numbers and letters showing up in the box, black circles show up.
This has always been the case when typing in any password. It used to be the same when typing in the 6 digit 2 step number but now
when type in the 6 digit 2 step number, the actual numbers show up in the box

so for example  code is 123456  when I previously typed in 123456 it would show as ****** as typing it in

Now it actually shows up as 123456
Report Deltâ February 19, 2018 3:13 PM GMT
a lot of that type of thing have a setting [box] as in show digits or hide ..
Report dave1357 February 19, 2018 3:15 PM GMT
Why don't you just type in the six digit number directly after the password in the same box? 

The number has always been clear in the separate window for the code afaik.  It is in most apps that use two factor.  Presumably because it doesn't matter if anyone sees it and it minimises errors.
Report jamesdean February 19, 2018 3:23 PM GMT
You cant type it into same box as the password. The 2 step box doesnt show up until youve hit enter after entering your
original password
Report dave1357 February 19, 2018 3:27 PM GMT
You don't need the box.  Just put in your pass and put in the six numbers directly after in the same box.  It works.  Don't you do that on your api app?
Report jamesdean February 19, 2018 3:30 PM GMT
No just on computer dave. Never knew that regarding straight after password, cheers for the tip. Will give that a go!
Report Wesdag February 19, 2018 3:35 PM GMT

Feb 19, 2018 -- 3:15PM, dave1357 wrote:

Why don't you just type in the six digit number directly after the password in the same box?  The number has always been clear in the separate window for the code afaik.  It is in most apps that use two factor.  Presumably because it doesn't matter if anyone sees it and it minimises errors.

Exactly.

Report jamesdean February 19, 2018 3:43 PM GMT
Cheers dave.
Report TheBaron February 20, 2018 9:42 AM GMT
dave1357    19 Feb 18 14:08 
TheBaron    Joined: 18 Jan 08
Replies: 1752 19 Feb 18 12:42 

Settings > time correction for codes (or synchronise)

Don't go on holiday again

Thanks for that.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com