Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
tony2914
29 Jul 17 13:18
| Topic/replies: 247 | Blogger: tony2914's blog
I had the pleasant surprise this morning , that my betting account had two withdrawals that were not sanctioned by me, my account is no down to peanuts, My account has been frozen and the matter passed to there security dept, Anyone any ideas iff i will get my dough back ?
Pause Switch to Standard View account fraud
Show More
Report dave1357 July 29, 2017 1:25 PM BST
You say "withdrawals" - to where?  Moving money to poker for example shows as a withdrawal.

Did you have a strong password?  Do you use the password anywhere else?

Your unfortunate experience is another warning to people to set up two factor authentication.
Report tony2914 July 29, 2017 1:29 PM BST
was done over the phone, i cant understand how they have answered the security question, as the answer is quite obscure, hopfully when security get back to me this will shed more light on it.
Report cardenden July 29, 2017 1:31 PM BST
hope you get it sorted m8,, and you baw bees are returned to you
Report ph. July 29, 2017 1:33 PM BST
seems to be happening more frequently recently, apparently regularly changing your password helps or as mentioned two step authentication.
Report faciletigre July 29, 2017 1:34 PM BST
Tony - do you have 2 step security authentication?
Report tony2914 July 29, 2017 1:35 PM BST
cheers card,
Report Deltâ July 29, 2017 1:35 PM BST
just reverse the withdrawal
Report ihal essex July 29, 2017 1:37 PM BST
Tony: how long were the withdrawals made before you noticed?  Withdrawals can take up to 3-4 days to process and can only be made to the same debit/credit card deposited with giving Security time to void. If withdrawal made by cheque then easily cancelled and traced. Also all telephone calls recorded so get Security to play you the tape and perhaps you will be able to identify perpetrator. Very puzzling!
Report duncan idaho July 29, 2017 1:47 PM BST
Two-Step Authentication

How do I use it?

Two-step authentication is very easy to use and you will quickly get accustomed to the process. You start by logging in as usual. You will be presented with an additional login screen if your credentials are correct. Open the Google Authenticator from your phone and type the verification code in your browser. If the code is correct, you will be logged into your profile. You can choose to do this for every login or only for new devices within 'My Security'.

Can someone explain what the benefit is of doing this on just a one-time basis? (rather than every login, which would be a serious ball@che). Cheers
Report dave1357 July 29, 2017 1:56 PM BST
duncan idaho you can set it up so it is not needed on your normal computer, but is needed if any other computer is used
Report dave1357 July 29, 2017 2:02 PM BST

Jul 29, 2017 -- 1:33PM, ph. wrote:

seems to be happening more frequently recently, apparently regularly changing your password helps or as mentioned two step authentication.

The others were password hacks, this was over the phone and presumably the withdrawal was to the fraudster's account. The police should be interviewing a betfair employee and if I was the OP I would be insisting that this happened.  I would also contact the Gambling Commission as this is a blatant breach of systems and controls.

Report clayfield1 July 29, 2017 2:18 PM BST
As already said this is happening far too often. Would think that we would ALL have an explanation from betfair, how do we have confidence in them when this seems to be happening almost weekly.
Report duncan idaho July 29, 2017 2:27 PM BST
dave1357 29 Jul 17 13:56

duncan idaho you can set it up so it is not needed on your normal computer, but is needed if any other computer is used

thanks. ah right, so impossible for account to be used/hacked other than from your own PC
Report tony2914 July 29, 2017 2:30 PM BST
ihal, the withdrawals was 26/7 and 27/7 noticed it this morning when i logged into my acc, which is not betfair but another established bookmaker. yep im waiting to here from security cos im puzzled by this ,as i said my security question is quite obscure.
Report s.kenbo July 29, 2017 2:34 PM BST
As others have said, this is becoming far to0 regular.

I've never withdrawn over the phone, and I can't work out how the money wouldn't be paid to you via cheque, or directly into your bank account (unless it's poker as dave1357 says and your chips have been 'dumped').
Report tony2914 July 29, 2017 2:38 PM BST
hoping the bookmaker accepts full responsibility for this , as its quite lapse and shabby if someone can impersonate me over the phone and get the money paid into an account that was not used to deposit.
Report s.kenbo July 29, 2017 2:41 PM BST
Unless you're trying to defraud them yourself (which I very much doubt) by passing on your details to a mate, then I'd be shocked if they didn't reimburse you. As you say, that's very lapse security, and should never be paid into somebody else's account.
Report tony2914 July 29, 2017 2:50 PM BST
cheers kenbo, think this could be the final straw of my betting operation, after 12 yrs of winning a few quid not life changing but enough for a holiday a yr, Most of my accounts are closed or restricted,increasingly difficult to get on at a price, no doubt you guys are in the same boat,So the one account i can get a bet on is robbed.it makes me think whats the effin point.
Report Escapee July 29, 2017 2:52 PM BST
"the withdrawals was 26/7 and 27/7 noticed it this morning when i logged into my acc, which is not betfair but another established bookmaker."

what does this mean?
you seemed to be saying that you noticed money missing from Betfair when you logged into another bookmaker !?
How can you check your  Betfair account from another bookmaker?
Report ihal essex July 29, 2017 2:54 PM BST
Tony: I would insist on listening to the tape of the withdrawal phone calls, (if it's an inside job and this appears likely, they probably won't exist) so if they refuse you this info I would take this as insider guilt and I would involve or threaten to involve Pc Plod. How much money involved ?
Report tony2914 July 29, 2017 3:18 PM BST
escapee, im just airing by views on betfair, the issue is another betting acc.ihal,over a grand my friend.
Report Escapee July 29, 2017 3:23 PM BST
@tony, Ah, I misunderstood it to be fraud on a betfair account.

Good luck with recovering the funds
Report john92 July 29, 2017 3:23 PM BST
Can someone explain what the benefit is of doing this on just a one-time basis? (rather than every login, which would be a serious ball@che).

----

I use the 2 step at every single log in and it's not the pain in the ar5e I thought it would be. 5 secs on the phone to open up the app.
Report by purpose July 29, 2017 3:47 PM BST
Walter Mitty stuff...
Report xmoneyx July 29, 2017 3:50 PM BST
halal free
Report duncan idaho July 29, 2017 3:57 PM BST
john92  29 Jul 17 15:23

Can someone explain what the benefit is of doing this on just a one-time basis? (rather than every login, which would be a serious ball@che).

----

I use the 2 step at every single log in and it's not the pain in the ar5e I thought it would be. 5 secs on the phone to open up the app.

Right, in which case, can someone explain the benefit of doing it every time over just one-time, if one-time 100% secures that device? soz if i'm being thick
Report Brian July 29, 2017 4:12 PM BST
You only need to do it every time if you clear out your cookies at the end of each session which I think people do to improve their privacy.

I don't clear out my cookies unless there is a problem. Can't remember when I last needed to use the 2-step authentication code.
Report duncan idaho July 29, 2017 4:18 PM BST
So it's not a one-time thing..it's an every-time-you-delete-cookies thing?
Report Brian July 29, 2017 4:20 PM BST
Correct Duncan (or at least as I understand it).
Report dave1357 July 29, 2017 4:21 PM BST
jfc

A ‘trusted device’ is a computing unit, such as your personal phone or laptop, which you specifically approved by ticking the 'Tick to confirm this is a trusted device' when logging in. When logging in to a trusted device you only need to enter your username and password. You will prompted to enter the verification code for each new device the first time you login. Once approved, the device will be added to your account.

Why use trusted devices?
By limiting the access to your account solely to a list of known devices you only need to login with your username and password. This removes the need to go through the two-step verification code on every login without compromising your account security provided by the two-step authentication login.

How to use trusted devices?
The first time you login from an ‘untrusted’ device you will be asked to provide your two-step authentication verification code. You need to tick on ‘Remember this device for future logins’. Once you login successfully, the device will be added to the approved devices lists. It is as simple as that.

How to un-trust a device?
In order to un-trust a device simply visit ‘My Account’ --> ‘My Security’ page and click on the ‘Edit’ button next to Login Settings. Check the ‘Forget previously trusted devices option’” and click on the “Save changes” button. Old trusted devices will be instantly forgotten and will need to be re-verified at next login.
Report Oldgit1 July 29, 2017 4:22 PM BST
Surely money can only be withdrawn to one of your nominated accounts?
Report Deptford July 29, 2017 4:23 PM BST
Surely when you withdraw money it is a cheque in account name or paid back to debit card nominated on account, I do not believe someone could phone up and ask for something differnt
Report Darlodog July 29, 2017 4:24 PM BST
^ It removes the possibility of someone accessing your account from a separate device (if they have your id & password) unless they have your phone as well.
I think.
Report dave1357 July 29, 2017 4:25 PM BST
oldgit - it turns out that this incident is nothing to do with betfair, so any speculation about what is allowed is pointless.
Report Deptford July 29, 2017 4:26 PM BST
Gah
Report duncan idaho July 29, 2017 4:36 PM BST
cheers Brian/dave
Report Oldgit1 July 29, 2017 4:44 PM BST
I knew it was not Betfair but any money website usually  has checks.
Though my credit cards have been cloned three times. The other week I had a transaction refused. I put it down to that particular bank having had computer problems a couple of days earlier. I then got a phone call from them and confirmed the refused Waitrose transaction was mine. They said that a MasterCard security operation had found my card details with many others somewhere.
I once had my mobile stopped. When I questioned it they said that my number was being used calling people on PPI claims and other insurance scams. Clever as none of the calls had been charged to my account. They reinstated my account.
One of the earlier card ones amused me as after a small transaction to o2 the next one was for over £3kto to a name like 'Babes are Us' Turned out it was a company like Mothercare:-)
Report dave1357 July 29, 2017 4:55 PM BST
Oldgit it is a breach of anti money laundering regs and a breach of standard systems and controls.  But bookmakers are run by clowns, so who knows what they allow and the UKGC is simply not up to the job.
Report Oldgit1 July 29, 2017 5:07 PM BST
I keep on coming up against money laundering laws but 19 year old Belfast students seem to get round them.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com