Dec 27, 2016 -- 11:20AM, impossible123 wrote:
I agree, he'll be 11 next year and he's been over-raced especially when chasing the £1m bonus. I think CC ought to be given a rest, then a racecourse gallop prior to another tilt at the GC or head straight to Aintree. But do not take him out on account of Thistlecrack (different owner) when he's the beating of everyone bar Don Cossack that ran in the GC last year; Thistlecrack could have an off day in the GC, and I cannot see Native River winning it given the taxing races this horse has had so far.I was perturbed by Tizzard's admission he knew where Thistlecrack would be going when he entered the horse for the King George (KG), and he was merely (pretending) otherwise in the post KG interview. A knee jerk reaction, I believe, from Tizzard to go for the Ryanair with CC so soon after the KG. But nevertheless I think it will happen.
I think you're misrepresenting Tizzard - all he has said at this point are words to the effect that Cue Card could go for the Ryanair and it made sense to keep all the options open. He's right - it clearly makes sense to plenty of others too as Cue Card was favourite for the Ryanair before Tizzard made his comments.He won the Ryanair in 2013 almost as impressively as Vautour did last year (yep, I appreciate he might not have quite the same turn of foot 4 years on) so they'd be foolish not to consider it. I tend to agree that the owners might want one last (wicked) crack at the Gold Cup and if that's the case, then let him take his chance.They don't have to decide now so why should they?
I'm not sure why you're perturbed that he does n't make all his discussions with the owners public either. Why should they play their cards before they have to? They'd look silly if something changed and they had to reverse their decision. I don't find it particularly helpful that the media ask him which race Thistlecrack is going to run in in a months' time every time they see him in the parade ring.
It's worth noting that they announced where Thistlecrack would be running the day before the 6 day entry stage - he never even had an entry in the Kauto Star novices chase - they could have put him in both races and made their decision public at the final declaration stage, they'd be within their rights to do that but they did n't.