Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
nalky
04 Nov 16 22:25
| Topic/replies: 113 | Blogger: nalky's blog
making my 1st visit next week, whats peoples opinion of course and town for pubs ?
Pause Switch to Standard View ludlow racecourse
Show More
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! November 4, 2016 9:34 PM GMT
Pubs?

Gourmey Foodie CAPITAL

Devil
Report Cantthinkofaclevername November 4, 2016 10:09 PM GMT
If you've got a runner, there's a superb place with free tea and lovely home made cakes - yum!
Report Dotchinite November 4, 2016 10:16 PM GMT
Its a nice stroll from the train station to the course.
Report call it a day November 4, 2016 10:33 PM GMT
Pub which is a working brewery adjacent to railway station highly recommended. scotch eggs etc. are magnificent. At the course get up on the open roof...fantastic view. Enjoy one of the best smaller courses in the land.
Report Dr Crippen November 4, 2016 10:53 PM GMT
Last time I went, the parade ring and winners enclosure were on the inside of the track. While the stands and the main bookies were on the outside.
You have to keep crossing the track if you want to see what's going on.
Report halcyon days November 5, 2016 8:50 AM GMT
^ Yes, but on top of the grandstand a wonderful view of the course !

Quaint, but very enjoyable experience.

Miss Tote Credit office to get out of the cold/watch the ''away's!''
Report halcyon days November 5, 2016 8:51 AM GMT
And, of course Shropshire is Gods county !
Report halcyon days November 5, 2016 8:53 AM GMT
Sorry, call it a day... didn't read your post !
Report iswearitsoath November 5, 2016 9:02 AM GMT
went there in february for a meeting that was called off (wrongly in my opinion)

the course looked very nice but harder to form a strong view on it without watching the racing

i agree that the walk to the course from the railway station is pleasant

the town is much smaller than i imagined. if you've got time, it's worth a pootle around the castle if you're into that kind of thing

the pubs seemed a little disappointing to me, didn't appear to be much local ale about, but others with greater knowledge of the town may know better
Report One Nation November 5, 2016 10:03 AM GMT
Am I missing a nice alternative walk to the course from the station?

The only route I know is along the Bromfield road, which isn't very nice at all. The final half mile doesn't even have a footpath!
Report iswearitsoath November 5, 2016 10:26 AM GMT
i didn't walk along the road, i took a route from a walking magazine that passed through hedgerows and fields (bit muddy though)
Report sean rua November 5, 2016 12:18 PM GMT
Yes, One Nation,

there is a footpath, but 'tis not a particularly nice walk bc of all the traffic and ye have to sprint across the busy, fast, road when ye are near.
Key points:
           ye must pass a school and the soccer ground. Where the road splits, keep left past the farm selling spuds. Bicyces are a big danger. There is a bus back, though I never ever caught it. Oft times soaked to the skin walking in the dark!

Up in Ludlow, I have had some good ould sessions - all pretty near that market square and castle.
On the rare occasion that I get a winner, I go in the Feathers or in one down near the wooden bridge for a steak.

Owners and trainers is alright, but, 'tis true ye have to keep crossing the track to get to the paddock.

The roof is great except in fog, rain, and mist. And ye need strong legs to carry yer winnings back up them steps! Happy
Report parispike November 5, 2016 12:18 PM GMT
Wonderful course.

View from Grandstand roof spectacular.

Yes you have to cross the course for pre parade and parade ring but so what?

A proper NH country course.

Town unspoilt with plenty of independent eateries and pubs.

Believe they run a bus from the station to the course now?
Report iswearitsoath November 5, 2016 2:35 PM GMT
correct there is a free bus from the station, worth checking the racecourse's website to see when it is due

good luck nalky, as others have said, it's a very pleasant course and town
Report loper November 5, 2016 2:36 PM GMT
If you want to use a Betfair app to bet then forget it. No internet signal.
Report parispike November 5, 2016 2:39 PM GMT
Networks vary loper.
Report ghostlygunner November 5, 2016 2:53 PM GMT
been to all bar a few and one of the nicest imo , old fashioned but great views from the roof
Report windsor knot November 5, 2016 11:23 PM GMT
nalky ...lovely town . best pubs ;  charlton arms next to river , church inn is buzzy in centre and the ludlow brewery place near railway station as someone mentioned .all serve great beer .  views in good weather at course wonderful but unless owner / trainer / restaurant catering is rubbish . beer and food hopeless .also  if you are under 70 years of age you are likely to be the youngest there and by 3pm you could have tweed blindness  . water jump right  in front of stands but now size of a kitchen sink .avoid middle of course silver ring which looks like a camp in the great escape film . in fairness they do an excellent job with prize money for such a venue .
Report foxy November 5, 2016 11:33 PM GMT
windsor knot

as it happens  the middle of the course you say looks like a camp in the great escape has as good as atmosphere  you will get midweek racing.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com