Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
sparrow
23 Aug 16 19:46
| Topic/replies: 40,833 | Blogger: sparrow's blog
Just announced on ATR.
Pause Switch to Standard View Tom O'Ryan R.I.P.
Show More
Report .Fidway. August 23, 2016 7:48 PM BST
Wasn't that long ago it was announced he was ill. Poor Bloke.
Report Breedingmad August 23, 2016 7:49 PM BST
Sad news was lucky to be alive after his fence post accident R.I.PSad
Report portmanpark August 23, 2016 7:49 PM BST
think he has been ill........didn't look well last time I seen him on tv.......don't think he was that old...very sad
Report TambourineMan. August 23, 2016 7:52 PM BST
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/tom-oryan-in-intensive-care-afte...
Report TambourineMan. August 23, 2016 7:54 PM BST
Sorry that was 3 years ago.Sad
Report Millerracing67 August 23, 2016 7:54 PM BST
Very sad news indeed :-(
RIP Tom ;-(
Report howard August 23, 2016 7:57 PM BST
Tom could light up the poorest of cards with his enthusiasm. R.I.P.
Report kabcast August 23, 2016 7:58 PM BST
R.I.P,always came across as very knowledgable and passionate about the game,sad news.Also was unaware until last weekend of the recent passing of former racecourse commentator Robin Gray.R.I.P.
Report Facts August 23, 2016 7:58 PM BST
Sad news
Report the dealer August 23, 2016 8:00 PM BST
very sad
Report Gerald the Show Pony August 23, 2016 8:07 PM BST
R.I.P. Tom
Report Latalomne August 23, 2016 8:19 PM BST
Announced his battle on Twitter on the 28th of July. 

Very sad.

RIP Tom.
Report tipp ex August 23, 2016 8:37 PM BST
Tom was one of the good guys of the press room would always help you if he could RIP Tom.
Report brigust1 August 23, 2016 8:43 PM BST
Another very, very sad day for horse racing. First Alan Lee and now Tom O'Ryan. Irreplaceable.
Report tipp ex August 23, 2016 8:49 PM BST
Yes what a year 2016 has been!
Report GEORGE.B August 23, 2016 9:17 PM BST
Hard to believe given it doesn't seem two minutes since he was regularly presenting on RUK and seemed full of enthusiasm as ever.

I liked Tom as both a presenter and pundit, he knew his stuff, and very sad that we won't be hearing his distinctive voice and knowledge again from the northern courses.

Condolences to his family and friends
Report handtorofe August 23, 2016 9:18 PM BST
Always so up for the days racing.Very sad loss.
Report verbotene liebe August 23, 2016 9:36 PM BST
That's all happened so quickly.Sad news.No doubt had some fascinating anecdotes that could never be told generally and that we'll never hear. Rode Night Nurse on his first racecourse appearance.
Report workrider August 23, 2016 10:03 PM BST
Saw him at Haydock last month ,he looked well. R.I.P.
Report dave d August 23, 2016 10:24 PM BST
talked to him at catterick three weeks ago .r.i.p.tom you will be sadly missed xSad
Report tictacman1 August 23, 2016 10:37 PM BST
A former jockey and well-regarded apprentice on the Flat, O'Ryan was deeply respected within the sport and held a long-term reporting roles with the Racing Post - he was named Racing Journalist of the Year in 2002 - and the Press newspaper, in York.

O'Ryan was also an anchor and analyst for Racing UK, a columnist for www.sportinglife.com, a qualified jockeys' coach and a work-rider for Malton-based Fahey.

Fahey said: "Devastated to say that Tom O'Ryan passed away earlier today. Can't say how much we will all miss him. We've lost the voice of the north.

"Tom's family have asked me to share the news. Tom was an incredible horseman & brilliant writer. Racing is a poorer sport without him in it."

Jonjo O'Neill said he was "heartbroken and lost for words" by the news of O'Ryan's death, while fellow jumps trainer Donald McCain said he was "always a pleasure to deal with and a real gentleman".

Leading Flat jockey Jamie Spencer described O'Ryan as a "proper man and a writer full of integrity". National Hunt rider Tom Scudamore said O'Ryan was "a gentleman and wise man of the press room".

Racing commentator Richard Hoiles tweeted: "So sorry to hear of Tom O'Ryan's passing. Few people in racing will have helped so many with his time kind words and advice. A sad day."

O'Ryan is survived by his wife, Wendy, and his brother, Robin, who is assistant trainer to Fahey.
Report geordie1956 August 23, 2016 10:47 PM BST
Life is cruel as Tom himself would have said.....without a doubt

RIP to a grand stalwart of Northern racing
Report smirnoff2therescue August 23, 2016 11:33 PM BST
Puts all the crap that is posted up on here at times into perspective.

A fantastic asset to the sport who will be sorely missed by many more than may want to admit .

Condolences to his family and many friends in the business who have lost a goodun
R.I.P Tom
Report buffythebookieslayer August 23, 2016 11:43 PM BST
Sad
Report MayoMan August 23, 2016 11:45 PM BST
Great Voice - Great knowledge - great racing enthusiast and not to mention those caps

RIP Tom
Report Mordin. August 23, 2016 11:52 PM BST
RIP Tom, enjoyed watching your love for Horse Racing, you were brilliant, very sad news.
Report Aberdeen Angus August 23, 2016 11:56 PM BST
Cry
Report Lampus August 24, 2016 5:59 AM BST
Sad news R.I.P
Report NOW WE KNOW August 24, 2016 6:32 AM BST
His love of racing was best shown on the pieces about Sea Pigeon. An absolute delight to be reminded of those great days by a great guy.
Report liberator of the oppressed August 24, 2016 6:45 AM BST
MayoMan was a beautiful captivating distinctive voice that said sit up and listen.
Report khyber kim August 24, 2016 6:55 AM BST
Always came across as a thoroughly decent bloke. Sad news.
Report deadbrain59 August 24, 2016 7:09 AM BST
Crythought he was the best.
Report dod August 24, 2016 7:54 AM BST
I used to make fun of toms flat cap but am very sad to hear of his death he seemed a really decent man rip
Report sweetnsour August 24, 2016 8:09 AM BST
Top Man rip
Report attitude adjuster August 24, 2016 9:08 AM BST
Met him at the track - couldn't have been anyone more devoted to the game

Just loved horses and a real gentleman.

RIP.
Report halcyon days August 24, 2016 10:12 AM BST
Very sad news, R I P Tom .
Report Hound-Dog-2 August 24, 2016 10:27 AM BST
"I used to make fun of toms flat cap" Laugh looked like a pancake landed on his head.

He always seemed a really nice chap with a great love of racing, met him a couple of times years ago. Jim McGrath mentioned him on C4 Racing last week. Very sad news that he has passed away, cancer is so cruel, 61 is not young but too young to die.

RIP.
Report ashleigh August 24, 2016 12:50 PM BST
met tom a few times at our beloved yorkshire tracks, would always stop for a chat, as well as all the jobs he did he also did a lot for racing charities over the years.   

TOM RIP.
Report youresomean August 24, 2016 1:01 PM BST
So sorry to read this. RIP Tom.
Report geordie1956 August 24, 2016 1:29 PM BST
Just heard on RUK that Tom's wife is burying her mother today & then she has Tom's funeral sometime soon....life really can be so unfair at times
Report ashleigh August 24, 2016 5:07 PM BST
good tribute by nick luck on ruk now.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com