Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
IDKW
21 Jul 16 12:39
| Topic/replies: 2,519 | Blogger: IDKW's blog
Well well well, James Henderson leaves Billy's after less than 2 years at the helm, and a "struggling online division" is cited as the reason why. The firm blames "punter friendly results" at Cheltenham and in Euro Football as reasons for a big fall in profits, but also reveals it has been hit by "punters self excluding, locking around 2,500 customers out of their accounts per week".

I think it's safe to assume the REAL reason why Henderson has gone is that account closures and restrictions have come back to bite Billy's in the ar**. The vast majority of those accounts would almost certainly have shown a long term loss to the punter, but shortsightedness by Billy's has cost them dear.....and cost Henderson his job.

Who's next?
Pause Switch to Standard View Billy's CEO sacked - online...
Show More
Report salmon spray July 21, 2016 12:41 PM BST
The FOBT users are all bust/in jail/seen the light.
Report Ramruma July 21, 2016 1:49 PM BST
Struggling online? I thought Hills had the second most profitable online operation, and was ahead of Ladbrokes and Corals. Am I misremembering?
Report xmoneyx July 21, 2016 1:56 PM BST
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM
Report dukeofpuke July 21, 2016 2:03 PM BST
very rarely use them these days online or shops.online excluded me from their offers so i tend not to bother.my horse race bet max is ok on the big races so i occassionally bet in the odd race
Report hulk23 July 21, 2016 2:07 PM BST
sorry to hear james has been fired.

... traders decision ??
Report Wildcat Army. July 21, 2016 2:42 PM BST
I understand there is some form of staffing restructure announcement due today as well, think it's to do with their retail operation but not sure the exact details.
Report salmon spray July 21, 2016 2:48 PM BST
Interestingly a post has been deleted which suggested that closing accounts,which would probably have lost in the long run,had something to do with it.
Now who objected to that ?
Report onlooker July 21, 2016 2:51 PM BST
'The chairman said that an outside appointment was likely, adding:
“We’re looking for someone with CEO and Plc experience, with strong digital and, ideally, international background as well.”
-------------

NO mention of Bookmaking, or Betting, experience, there then.

All the same - these 'so-called' Bookmakers, nowadays. Grin
Report posy July 21, 2016 3:20 PM BST
Chairman used to run Imperial Tobacco...a man who knows his mind and not afraid to act
Report STATSMAN July 21, 2016 3:30 PM BST
salmon, IDKW's opening post suggests that. Was there another post similar that got removed?
Report Magic__Daps July 21, 2016 3:31 PM BST
I read the comment regarding the closing of losing accounts - why would that be removed?
Report salmon spray July 21, 2016 3:42 PM BST
Yes STATS.
As MD confirms.
My post WAS the 2nd reply.
Report salmon spray July 21, 2016 3:44 PM BST
Unless I am having a senior moment      SadCrazy
Report stewarty b July 21, 2016 3:49 PM BST
Try sticking 4k on a 7/4 chance with Hillys on course, on the rails and you will get on. Phone them with the same bet and they will have a laugh. Can't see the difference myself.
Report liberator of the oppressed July 21, 2016 4:42 PM BST
Interesting because Ralphie knew how to stick it up em and whether you liked him was an outstanding CEO with profits and performance to match. Prices these days generally offered by Wiilies don't seem to be as competitive and almost becoming Ladbrokesesque. Missed a trick with mergers not bit behind however why anybody would want Laddies is beyond my comprehension.
Report johnn July 21, 2016 4:48 PM BST
They almost opted out at the Festival this year in terms of promotion.
Also, online they limited me to £20 on a 3/1 shot at one of the festival races.
Leaving all the threads about being closed and limited aside, if you can't lay any more than a score in a race like that then you're not even a bookmaker.
Report CustomCut July 21, 2016 4:50 PM BST
Online I've found them to be far less likely to limit than any other bookie I've come across.
Report stewarty b July 21, 2016 5:18 PM BST
Peronally I have never put a bet on online. I want to hear a voice saying 'how much was that'.

**Apart from BF and purple.
Report Big Boss July 21, 2016 5:52 PM BST
worse place odds/fractions in the village, no extra places, free bet offers shelved
Report stonethrower July 21, 2016 6:25 PM BST
They took more bets from me than any of the big online bookies.
Report onlooker July 21, 2016 7:55 PM BST
William Hill Chief Executive has been SACKED, today.

He has been with the firm for [30 years starting at the bottom of the ladder.

Not much chance for Shop Staff, then.

Something will have to fund his '30 years' Pay-Off package.
Report onlooker July 21, 2016 7:56 PM BST
^ oops - meant to post on the  'Betting Shop Staff reduced wages' thread .
Report ThirdTimeLucky July 21, 2016 8:39 PM BST
Online I agree, they're pathetic. Tried their top price offer at the festival, and my attempt to get 50ew @ 12/1 was met with a tenner ew, bare in mind £3.65 were the same price and 5 places.

Shops now though are the best of any in the High Street for laying bets. Prices change like lightning if under even for £4 on here, but restrictions are never put in place, and they welcome the business.
Report theresbeenagoal July 22, 2016 5:28 PM BST
I believe they are the online firm to mention poor European football results in their Q1 trading update. I think that is because they were far from being poor for any other firm, so the obvious follow up question to that is were they taking on anybody they probably shouldn't have been?
Report ImSoLuckyLucky! July 24, 2016 4:26 PM BST
Weekend reports suggest 888 are planning a takeover bid for Hills

Watch this SPACE

Devil
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com