Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
Flashy
23 Jan 16 20:44
| Topic/replies: 128 | Blogger: Flashy's blog
The boredom of Irish racing. The showpiece hurdle race, the Irish Champion hurdle is a Mullins horse...against a Mullins horse...against a Mullins horse. Wow, how interesting. Almost as interesting as footpad winning at 1-10 in a 3 runner race on Thursday. I hope the rich connections are enjoying themselves. I wonder why attendances to racecourses in Ireland are dwindling.....
Pause Switch to Standard View 5 odds on shots at Leopardstown...
Show More
Report 11kv January 23, 2016 8:45 PM GMT
Private racecourse on private estates is the way to go in Ireland......
Report homefortea January 23, 2016 9:05 PM GMT
The usual feast of racing in jolly old oiland...
Report maleuk01. January 23, 2016 9:16 PM GMT
at least ive found a probable winner, Douvan LaughLaugh

in that race only 3 runners and 4th would have paid 2,700 euros. Why wouldn't someone enter any old nag(well young as its novices) and collect 4th for just popping round and if 1 falls collect 8,100 euros.
Report sparrow January 23, 2016 9:18 PM GMT
Don't british jump trainers send their horses for this sort of prize money anymore?
Report homefortea January 23, 2016 9:23 PM GMT
Good point sparrow..

Those races in jolly old Oirland seem to be a disgrace..

Back the Mullins outsiders and you may get a return..
Report Flashy January 23, 2016 9:29 PM GMT
Irish Arkle with 3 runners is mildly amusing!! Shows complete lack of quality of up and coming Irish horses outside the Mullins yard.
Report Tolmi January 23, 2016 9:50 PM GMT
You might want to check your sources about dwindling attendances FlashyWink

While you're at it you might like to check the field sizes and quality of the last two grade 1 Novice hurdles run in the UK.
Report portmanpark January 23, 2016 9:54 PM GMT
placepots are generally not worth doing in Ireland....
Report McK30wn January 23, 2016 10:10 PM GMT
Obviously you are looking at this as a punting perspective and your point is valid... but if the horses on show tomorrow were running in England they would be loving it, when mullins sents a rag over to warwick they lap it up... we should appreciate we have the best animals in more or less all division on this Island and for Mullins to run them against each other well he deserves a pat on the back... I for one appreciate these horses running on our doorstep if you put it into perspective, were probably going to get the two best horses to run on Day 1 of the Cheltenham Festival and in order to see them you have to pay at around £80 for the Club enclosure... tomorrow its 20 euro! Il be attending both and regardless of the price id pay the money to see the best horses on show
Report Flashy January 23, 2016 10:17 PM GMT
That's fair enough. I personally would enjoy watching an Irish Arkle where the result can be discussed beforehand and the anticipation of finding out who was right! Rather than knowing if a horse jumps round he wins.
Report sean rua January 24, 2016 9:10 AM GMT
I don't quite follow the point of the whinge; horseracing is not run for ordinary punters, anywhere. Ireland is no different.

For a contrast, check out the price of the winners of the Kerry National over the last five to ten years. Happy
Report cacique January 24, 2016 9:23 AM GMT
in fairyhouse last wednesday Miss Speedy finished 4th at 66/1 in the beginner chase to collect €441.

If she ran in arkle today, and treated it like a schooling session, she would get €2,700 for finishing tailed off last.

Or treating it as another schooling session, she could have run in the champion hurdle and got €1,100 for finishing tailed off last.

You have to wonder why owners are not entering fillies/mares into these type of races to pick up easy money and potential blacktype.
Report layingisthewayforward January 24, 2016 9:29 AM GMT
Does it cost a lot more to enter a grade 1?
Report Tolmi January 24, 2016 9:40 AM GMT
How do you know how many will run when you are entering?

Hindsight has 20:20 vision.
Report Tolmi January 24, 2016 9:53 AM GMT
Entry fees are based on the prizemoney.For the Irish Arkle it costs €540 to enter.
Report cacique January 24, 2016 10:21 AM GMT
are there not always very few runners in irish grade one's?

spend 540 to get 2700 with possibility of blacktype sounds like a very good schooling session to me!!
Report MJK January 24, 2016 10:29 AM GMT
Flashy you talk of 'boredom' in your opening post. As things stand isn't the Cheltenham Champion Hurdle a case of Mullins v Mullins?
Report Tolmi January 24, 2016 10:31 AM GMT
Why are you not making the same point about the Challow and Tolworth Hurdles?
Report Flashy January 24, 2016 10:33 AM GMT
I agree MJK. I used to love the first day of Cheltenham...but the excitement and anticipation is not the same for me. The big money men are starting to make Cheltenham predictable and less interesting
Report blackballed1 January 24, 2016 10:34 AM GMT
I know what I would rather watch the rematch with faugheen, nichols canyon and artic fire or the pish at Haydock yesterday when the new one was the star attraction!! Least today we get to see the very best
Report xmoneyx January 24, 2016 3:15 PM GMT
4/4 SO FAR

GOODLUCK 405

village mystic
Report xmoneyx January 24, 2016 3:19 PM GMT
5/5 pays 10/1 sp
Report MJK January 24, 2016 4:13 PM GMT
That rancid Irish racing. All those beaten favs...
Report CJ January 24, 2016 4:20 PM GMT
Let's face it, outside of the 2 or 3 festivals 90%+ of NH racing in Britain & Ireland is pure garbage. Give me a competitive card on the AW any day of the week.
Report knoxville January 24, 2016 4:21 PM GMT
total drivel
there is no interest in irish racing bar galway or punchestown for people going on the piss.
mullins has sucked the blood out of it. its rich ricci who is keeping mullins going. we shall see what happens when they fall out in the who has the biggest competition!!
Report jmdc January 24, 2016 4:23 PM GMT
^ Which is also pure garbage.
Report CJ January 24, 2016 4:24 PM GMT
Not always. Kempton has some very competitive stuff.
Report MJK January 24, 2016 4:36 PM GMT

Jan 24, 2016 -- 10:21AM, knoxville wrote:

total drivelthere is no interest in irish racing bar galway or punchestown for people going on the piss.mullins has sucked the blood out of it. its rich ricci who is keeping mullins going. we shall see what happens when they fall out in the who has the biggest competition!!

You've obviously never been to Leopardstown at Christmas or Hennessy day if you think that

Report Flashy January 24, 2016 6:24 PM GMT
The 5 obvious ones won.....that made for interesting racing. I thought Douvan's race was a fantastic spectacle. What a great race watching such a great horse canter round the track....can't wait to watch them do exactly the same at Cheltenham. That will make for great excitement.
Report homefortea January 25, 2016 9:12 PM GMT
That is the Oirish for you as they love to buy money.....

Corrupt inefficient and a complete joke...
Report knoxville January 26, 2016 1:33 AM GMT
leopardstown at xmas? plenty of people interested in the racing alright... bono has plenty of horses... a good example of what i was saying. thanks for strenghtening my point
Report MJK January 26, 2016 5:29 AM GMT

Jan 25, 2016 -- 7:33PM, knoxville wrote:

leopardstown at xmas? plenty of people interested in the racing alright... bono has plenty of horses... a good example of what i was saying. thanks for strenghtening my point

Thousands of ordinary folk like me pack the place out at Christmas and Hennessy day. Get your facts straight before trying to be s smart ass.

Report sean rua January 26, 2016 9:34 AM GMT
"
Corrupt inefficient and a complete joke... "

Hmmm, all a bit like your rugby and athletics, I suppose.

Cheltenham may well have gone the way of Hereford ( now restored) but for all the Irish breaking lent and flocking over to SPEND a bit of money - something that ye birkenhead boys on the IOM are NOT renouned for.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com