Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
OliasOfSunhillow
21 Dec 15 07:24
| Topic/replies: 2,532 | Blogger: OliasOfSunhillow's blog
The award was won last night by a guy who is not even the best in the world at his sport. By contrast Mo Farah has achieved something that not only places him at the top of his sport but also he has achieved something that is never likely to be repeated. For this he did not even manage a place in the first three. I like sporting awards, not so keen on shallow based popularity awards
Pause Switch to Standard View SPOTY woe Moe
Show More
Report saddo December 21, 2015 8:42 AM GMT
Nearly every sport out there is a sordid mess tbf, I haven't watched any for years.
Report The Headmaster December 21, 2015 12:03 PM GMT
I have to agre Olias.  I've been staggered that Mo has been overlooked for years now.  Although we've made great strides in this country, one has to wonder if he was Matt Farall rather than Mo Farah he might be in with a shout Sad
Report saddo December 21, 2015 12:06 PM GMT
I see the mods removed a post about Mo, his coach and his country of residence. Poor stuff.
Report acey deucy December 21, 2015 12:09 PM GMT
I dont like the rumours regarding Mo...Just saying like.
Report acey deucy December 21, 2015 12:10 PM GMT
Tyson Fury should have Won it.
Report acey deucy December 21, 2015 12:11 PM GMT
Champion Of The World ffs.
Report elise December 21, 2015 12:12 PM GMT
might have if he'd not offended most of the people voting
Report madhatters December 21, 2015 12:13 PM GMT
When did Murray get a personality ?
Report acey deucy December 21, 2015 12:13 PM GMT
Poofters are easily offended mind you.Plain
Report acey deucy December 21, 2015 12:17 PM GMT
Come Come madhatter it has got fook all to do with personality.
Report spyker December 21, 2015 12:20 PM GMT
Champion Of The World ffs.

So everyone that is champion of the world (in whatever sport) should win it then? Anyone that thought Fury had a realistic chance of winning is delusional as most of the general public hadn't heard of him until a month ago - they also prob won't be able to name him in 2-3 years!
Report elise December 21, 2015 12:21 PM GMT
murray got his personality from the same place giggs, mccoy and hamilton
Report acey deucy December 21, 2015 12:21 PM GMT
Dont forget laugh a minute Nigel Mansell.
Report oneyallbeenwaiting4 December 21, 2015 1:03 PM GMT
how could Murray not win it? he is different class to any of the others on the list

who the fúck is Kevin Sinfield?

Murray is a top class player in his sport, the only other guy in Britain who can say that is Gareth Bale.
Report TheFear December 21, 2015 1:05 PM GMT
Mo seemed pretty loved in the UK when he won the Olympics. The allegations against his trainer didn't help his case.
Report xmoneyx December 21, 2015 1:09 PM GMT
Farah is a devout Muslimand is an active supporter of the Muslim Writers Awards
Report OliasOfSunhillow December 21, 2015 3:40 PM GMT
Well we couldn't have a Muslim winning SPOTY could we ? .... Groan !!!!
Report foxy December 21, 2015 5:03 PM GMT
oneyallbeenwaiting4

kevin sinfield is a 100 % honest rugby player 20 plus years league and now union brought up in oldham made it big in rugby league but never left his home town he was a very worthy contender.

completely agree with your comments on murray and bale.
Report PompeyMike December 21, 2015 6:21 PM GMT
SPOTY was once a not to be missed event, back in the days when there wasn't so much sport on TV. It was then good to see the highlights of the year show. Now it's just a talking shop with hardly any sports highlights shown, as not much sport is on BBC now.

Results are often skewed by the proximity of an event to the year end. That's why Chataway won in the fifties and why quite a few Grand Prix F1 champions have won it, as the F1 season ends very late in the year.

I don't think a high profile show is needed any more, and if it is, how is the BBC relevant to such an award nowadays ?
Report betilyerded December 21, 2015 7:01 PM GMT
Pompeymike - very valid points.
The sad fact is that the BBC are bit players in the world of sport which they once led.
Have to say i am glad they have left the motor sport contract as it had reached saturation point with its coverage. Surprised they didnt film the drivers having a s**t between practice.
Report breadnbutter December 21, 2015 7:05 PM GMT
did anyone on here actually vote ?
Report Darlo Bantam December 21, 2015 7:05 PM GMT
Eight people on the list of 12 last night were World Champions, Chris Froome won an unparalleled event which is nigh on a World Championship. Yet neither of the top two were a World Champion.
Report Gordon63 December 21, 2015 7:06 PM GMT
murray week in week out, not just at a few championships of his choice a la farah, is performing at the absolute peak of athletic ability and not only for himself, a la farah, but carried  the country to first team trophy in 79 years, farah's absence at commonwealth games and others for apparent health reasons has not done him any favours, nor the opinion of brendan foster and others that he is britains greatest sportsman when that is clearly either redgrave or hoy...
Report Gordon63 December 21, 2015 7:06 PM GMT
murray week in week out, not just at a few championships of his choice a la farah, is performing at the absolute peak of athletic ability and not only for himself, a la farah, but carried  the country to first team trophy in 79 years, farah's absence at commonwealth games and others for apparent health reasons has not done him any favours, nor the opinion of brendan foster and others that he is britains greatest sportsman when that is clearly either redgrave or hoy...
Report sickoflayinwinners December 21, 2015 7:08 PM GMT
unfortunately mo has zero personality  altho wonderfull talent , he probably wasn't the right person to try and make corn mince exciting altho "it makes a tasty chilli" if mo eats that shyte I'm a dutchman
Report OliasOfSunhillow December 21, 2015 7:08 PM GMT
Redgrave ? dont make me laugh. A sport invented for public schoolboys and accessible only by them hardly makes it a fair and open playing field.
Report breadnbutter December 21, 2015 7:09 PM GMT
this is gunna get messy Laugh
Report Darlo Bantam December 21, 2015 7:19 PM GMT

Dec 21, 2015 -- 1:08PM, sickoflayinwinners wrote:

unfortunately mo has zero personality

Report sixtwosix December 21, 2015 7:45 PM GMT
Winning the Davis Cup for the first time since before the war is an achievement.
But the fact that one player can play in enough games to win the match is hardly my idea of a team event.
Four different singles players should decide the match.

Fury's performance has been highlighted by several boxing writers as one of the biggest ever shock victories.
His outspoken views should be irrelevant , but as we know free speech is being gagged unless agreeing with liberal views.

As for Dan Carter winning the overseas award for simply being the goal kicker in the best rugby union team by a country mile.

Ole Einar Bjoerndaelen the most decorated winter Olympic athlete who turns 42 in January is still winning biathlon races , that is my idea of an inspirational athlete.

I too have not seen this mess of a programme from a channel that clearly has few people who appreciate sport these days , for many years.

I watched a lot of the womens football world cup , not expecting to enjoy it one bit.
It is not the same as mens football obviously.
But I for one thoroughly enjoyed  the English matches , sick and tired of premier league diving , feigning injury , spitting ,and abusing refs not to mention the media turning every little happening into a soap opera.
The English team were very close to reaching the final , giving everything they had.
Compare that with the accusations currently being aimed at some of our top teams in the 'beautiful game'.
Report Darlo Bantam December 21, 2015 7:51 PM GMT
Four different singles players should decide the match.

Agree. Murray performed brilliantly to win it, but the rules/format - which clearly LTA and Murray have no control of - leave a lot to be desired.
Report penzance December 21, 2015 7:59 PM GMT
Fury or Jess Ennis should've won.
Report EVILROYSLADE December 21, 2015 11:30 PM GMT
Fury for me. Always like to hear what he is saying, even if some of it is manic! Others are generally boring.
Report KeenLeader December 21, 2015 11:41 PM GMT
Murrays had a rubbish season - gone backwards if anything as a top player. Still fair play he did play the major part in winning the Davis cup, beating that mighty nation Belgium in the final, which kind of puts in perspective how seriously the tournaments taken.
Report KeenLeader December 21, 2015 11:41 PM GMT
Murrays had a rubbish season - gone backwards if anything as a top player. Still fair play he did play the major part in winning the Davis cup, beating that mighty nation Belgium in the final, which kind of puts in perspective how seriously the tournaments taken.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com