Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
theres only one best tonic
20 Dec 15 09:36
| Topic/replies: 4,655 | Blogger: theres only one best tonic's blog
Died yesterday
Wasnt loved by all on here but I found him one of the more interesting journos
Show More
Report OVERSEAS December 20, 2015 9:37 AM GMT
no age at all 61...RIP
Report workrider December 20, 2015 9:41 AM GMT
The Times will miss him ,a really good journalist , said it as he saw it R.I.P.
Report ashleigh December 20, 2015 9:47 AM GMT
sad news, rip.
Report nellie1970 December 20, 2015 10:08 AM GMT
was he ill or was it sudden ?
Report Princesse D'Anjou December 20, 2015 10:09 AM GMT
Very sad news.  RIP
Report jmdc December 20, 2015 10:13 AM GMT
Had had heart surgery.  Only allowed to drive again at Ascot on Friday.  Extremely good eulogy by Nigel Payne on ATR. RIP
Report nellie1970 December 20, 2015 10:15 AM GMT
cheers jmdc
Report stewarts rise December 20, 2015 10:17 AM GMT
Just seen it on ATR, didn't read his column but did see him on the Forum ATR seemed a decent fella doing a job we would all have loved. Just shows, had the heart surgery and seemed to be well again and recovering, you just never know when its your turn! RIP Alan.Sad
Report kipling December 20, 2015 10:47 AM GMT
Sorry to see this. RIP Alan.
Report TheCollector December 20, 2015 10:47 AM GMT
RIP...61 so young. Sad
Report Aladdin Sane December 20, 2015 10:48 AM GMT
Really shocked by this sad news.  RIP Alan
Report geordie1956 December 20, 2015 11:01 AM GMT
An intelligent & very articulate voice on ATR and a decent jounalist in 2 sporting fields - sad news
Report xmoneyx December 20, 2015 11:10 AM GMT
sad Sad
Report 1st time poster December 20, 2015 11:22 AM GMT
the other face of the forum been ridiculed and ripped up for shoitehouse paper on this forum for the last 10 years,managing director and chief owner of the gravey boat according to this forum
Report parispike December 20, 2015 11:27 AM GMT
I didn't like his journalistic "style" but that does not not preclude me from feeling sorrow at his early and untimely death.

Condolences to friends and families.
Report pablo-fanque December 20, 2015 12:04 PM GMT
I enjoyed listening to alan's views on the sunday forum

RIP
Report stewarts rise December 20, 2015 12:06 PM GMT
1st time poster
20 Dec 15 11:22
| Topic/replies: 17,191 | Blogger: 1st time poster's blog
the other face of the forum been ridiculed and ripped up for shoitehouse paper on this forum for the last 10 years,managing director and chief owner of the gravey boat according to this forum

I don't understand a word of this?Confused
Report Johnny_Mustang December 20, 2015 12:21 PM GMT
I worked with Alan frequently and he was a thoroughly decent man.
Report 1st time poster December 20, 2015 1:13 PM GMT
alan lees, had  more compliments on here today about his journo, abilitys than he,s had in the last 10 years,mind you 1 postive post would have been a 100% increase on the last 10 years,my point been the posters on here are 2 faced on ly when they havnt got 3 faces,his claim to fame on here for 10 years has been as toe the line journo and chief vice admiral of the gravey boat,but since his death he,s suddenly became a great journo,a brilliant pundit on atr and a flag bearer for racing fans,can anyone find any posts highlighting these attributes on here before his death
Report stewarts rise December 20, 2015 1:17 PM GMT
Oh i get it now, that's folk for you but most can still express regret at a relatively young persons passing whose work we may have read or opinions we may have witnessed on TV, wether we agreed with them or not.
Report knot in wood December 20, 2015 1:19 PM GMT
had heart problems myself so this shocked me...rip
Report stewarts rise December 20, 2015 1:22 PM GMT
So have i KIW, i don't know but having had bypass surgery myself nearly 5 years ago i would be quite suprised if that was the surgery he had, think more likely to die pretty soon afterwards from a valve replacement or more complicated open heart surgery.
Report knot in wood December 20, 2015 1:27 PM GMT
yes stewarts must have had major surgery, whatever you thought of the man still sad news.
Report OliasOfSunhillow December 20, 2015 1:44 PM GMT
I have been a critic of Alan Lee and my opinion of him as a journalists has not changed because he sadly passed away too young. A clue to his death lies in one of the reports of his passing in that it was stated that he had recently had heart surgery and had done all the doctors had ordered of him. There lies the problem as few diseases have their own gravy train quite like heart disease. Most of us are victims of the ill founded research into heart disease that has spawned the erroneous dietary guidelines of the last 50 years. Despite this things do not seem to be improving as only recently HeartUK adopted Warburtons as their chief sponsor, given that the highest correlation within the huge bank of data known as the China Study, is between wheat and heart disease then you can see that explosion in the western world of wheat consumption based on Genetically modified Dwarf Wheat has contributed to the expansion and growth of heart disease. Meanwhile you are all being told to lower your cholesterol on behalf of the Statin producing drug companies despite the fact that 50% of people suffering heart attacks have perfectly good Cholesterol readings. Poor Alun is a victim of a medical profession that is based on sending people home when key readings are not dangerous but then again not optimal, preferring to wait until events occur or readings become dangerous and then pumping us full of chemicals.

We have a cure for heart disease, we have a cure for cancer, its called PREVENTION
Report RUSSJR December 20, 2015 2:39 PM GMT
RIP ALAN quality guy !
Report brendrew December 20, 2015 3:39 PM GMT
rip-olias now is not the time or place.
Report jmdc December 20, 2015 3:41 PM GMT
Nice tribute from Dicky there.
Report OwenGlendower December 20, 2015 3:58 PM GMT
I really enjoyed reading Alan's columns in The Times, and I will miss his articles. He would always look for a slightly different slant on a story which meant that he was always interesting, and was prepared to write things when others may have been more reticent. When on ATR he was measured and informative. To be able to write skillfully about two such contrasting sports (cricket & racing),marks him as one of the best sports journalists in recent years.
Report cardifffc December 20, 2015 9:11 PM GMT
I always found the hatred of alan lee on this forum hard to fathom.......didn't mind him at all .........its aussie jim I really detest
Report Northofperth December 20, 2015 9:58 PM GMT
Sad news when someone dies as young as 61 . I can't recall ever reading his column in the Times , but I saw him a few times at the races . I recall seeing him in the YesNoWaitSorry colours , red and yellow Blazer , possibly cap too . The racing syndicate was called after a hapless batsman's cry presumably . R.I.P. Alan Lee , and condolences to all of his Family and friends .
Report cardifffc December 20, 2015 10:14 PM GMT
north..........always thought he seemed nice enough........when I read the comments on here about him I thought I was watching the wrong man....
Report Rydal December 21, 2015 6:34 AM GMT
cardiff

This forum generally operates in one of two modes - vitriolic hatred (e.g. Tommo, Fitz, McCain, Fallon, or the last jockey to ride a losing favourite) and stomach-churning sentimentality (e.g. Henry Cecil).

Journalists are generally denounced as rancid gravy-trainers until they die - then mode B kicks in.
Report OliasOfSunhillow December 21, 2015 8:21 AM GMT
I would suggest Brendrew that now is precisely the time. When someone prominent dies of this totally avoidable disease ( I am presuming he dies of complications arising from arteriosclerosis) then any good that can come of alerting the public to how to avoid it rather than do as the doctors would have you do which is wait until it rears its head and then put you on a life time of secondary damaging chemicals. With regard to Alun as a writer, he was a skillful writer but not a very brave one. He tended to toe the establishment line. Contrast this with the kind of response you will get on here when (hopefully not for a long time) that someone like Paul Haigh pops his clogs.
Report Johnny_Mustang December 21, 2015 9:15 AM GMT
Give it a rest Olias. Paul's a good friend of mine and your last sentence is utterly indelicate, insensitive and unnecessary.
Report OliasOfSunhillow December 21, 2015 9:31 AM GMT
I am sure Alun was all the the things people are saying he was, a nice guy, a skillful writer etc. I just dont think he was a brave writer. I think it would be far more helpful to talk about the reasons for his death, perhaps then his death may forward the debate on how everyone is being misled and misinformed on heart disease.
Report Gibberish December 21, 2015 1:24 PM GMT
"parispike - I didn't like his journalistic "style" but that does not preclude me from feeling sorrow at his early and untimely death"

Have to agree with PP and also add that he did seem a half-decent bloke compared to many on TV - 61 is no age nowadays.
Report tilted December 21, 2015 1:38 PM GMT
The Times now down to Robbie Wright, with Alan's tragic death and Andy Stephens being made redundant.
One-man racing desks becoming the norm.
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com