Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
mi6mediacontroller
17 Sep 15 14:45
| Topic/replies: 111 | Blogger: mi6mediacontroller's blog
I dont understand how it can decline as it is far easier these days with the equipment availiable. could the caustic racing forum be partrly to blame as some
of you are quite caustic and have been for many years putting the average joe out in the cold if you know what i mean.
Pause Switch to Standard View Decline of the popularity of racing
Show More
Report RADGEPOT September 17, 2015 2:49 PM BST
Yeah, it's definitely the Forums fault.
Report geoff m September 17, 2015 2:50 PM BST
Laugh
Report Deltâ September 17, 2015 2:51 PM BST
it roidas fault imo
Report Roquebrune September 17, 2015 2:53 PM BST
He's just discovered the word "caustic" and likes it.
Report themover September 17, 2015 2:54 PM BST
great word imo, let himself down by spelling partly wrong though
Report geoff m September 17, 2015 2:54 PM BST
"Are you going to the races love" ? No ive decided against it love as some anonymous poster had a "pop" @ me on the betfair forum .Laugh

I do hope you see the humour as opposed to any causticity which wasnt intended and i sincerely apologise if you feel that way.
Report themover September 17, 2015 2:56 PM BST
"Are you going to the races love"? Not a chance love, I want to stay at home and watch Sir Bond's editing work
Report sparrow September 17, 2015 2:57 PM BST
Don't be so callstik.
Report stridingedge September 17, 2015 2:59 PM BST
I dont understand how it can decline as it is far easier these days with the equipment availiable.

spamming his crystal ball company
Report TheAnorak September 17, 2015 3:15 PM BST
Yes, nothing could be easier than the 7 handicaps at Ayr, the 7 handicaps at Chelmsford and the 6 handicaps at Ponty. That's the great thing about british racing, the variety!
Report Barton Bank September 17, 2015 4:04 PM BST
What's far easier? Getting a bet on? Winning?
Think the issues affecting racing have got far more to do with the alternatives available that make more appeal to young people who might otherwise have become racing fans/punters.
Report onlooker September 17, 2015 4:11 PM BST
mi6mediacontroller 17 Sep 15 14:45 

I dont understand how it can decline as it is far easier these days with the equipment availiable
------------

THAT - is precisely the problem.

MOST Horse Racing sites are lamentable

Newbies don't know where to look for proper RACECARDS - to even get started - and so they, eventually, stumble across the Billboard sized CRAP that purports to pass as usable RACECARDS on the vast majority of sites.

They cannot get any rational concept of the game from such CRAP sites - so end up just having 'guessing' bets - consequently, do the brains - and then, quite quickly, give the game up.
Report mi6mediacontroller September 17, 2015 4:15 PM BST
data accsess 5 minutes instead of an hour
perhaps its something to do with the nostalgia horse racing can bring to war with all these lairy named thoroughbreds
Report cooperman September 17, 2015 4:47 PM BST
average joes do not use this forum. FACT!
Report Barton Bank September 17, 2015 4:53 PM BST
The RacingPost site is an overpriced pile of crap tbh.
Report onlooker September 17, 2015 5:02 PM BST
mi6mediacontroller 17 Sep 15 16:15 

"data accsess 5 minutes instead of an hour"
------------

Yes, it is - for long-standing Form Experts, enthusiasts, and aficionados whose naturally inquisitive and analytical minds have seen them work out the modus operandi required - and, thus, still KNOW what they ARE doing, as they also did in earlier days with printed Cards and Form.

But many NEWBIES, and casual weekend punters, by comparison, will probably be of the current/internet mentality of wanting everything in an instant, and ALL on ONE page - NOR, naturally have the patience to persevere with such study - even if they did find their way to, and delve into, racingpost.com... most, however, having no concept of where to properly start, or how to get there - let alone reach such a level of proficiency.
Report howard September 17, 2015 5:27 PM BST
Yes it's laughing at other punters when their horse falls or stays still in the stalls. Younger people can't take nastiness these days. They are brainwashed by the media.
Report Life-Lucky September 17, 2015 6:12 PM BST
Socially acceptable and available everywhere, that's betting these days. Most people have tried it or will try it and will quickly realize that, guess what, it's a losing game!
Report MJK September 17, 2015 7:01 PM BST
Far bigger decline in flat racing than jumps popularity
Report swift-tuttle September 17, 2015 7:51 PM BST
a surprising  (to me anyway) figure that came out of the PP/Betfair announcement was that 20% of Betfair's turnover was on horse racing and 60% on football
Report Roger De Bris September 17, 2015 8:37 PM BST
I know e5 punters who have been restricted by Powers online....
Report Darlo Bantam September 17, 2015 8:46 PM BST

Sep 17, 2015 -- 1:51PM, swift-tuttle wrote:

a surprising

Report Darlo Bantam September 17, 2015 8:48 PM BST

Sep 17, 2015 -- 1:51PM, swift-tuttle wrote:

a surprising  (to me anyway) figure that came out of the PP/Betfair announcement was that 20% of Betfair's turnover was on horse racing and 60% on football

>FFS.

Anyway, a lot of BF custom will be dominated by in-running. Football last 90 minutes compared to a few minutes per horse race.
Secondly, there's an awful lot more markets for one football match compared to a horse race.
And finally, I wasn't entirely pleased with the liquidity on the CL the other night, and yet still £6m+ matched on the main match odds market for Man City-Juve.

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare turnover across different sports because they have different nuances.

Report bacontrout. September 17, 2015 9:09 PM BST
Although the OP is a bit melodramatic, I think there's a little side point there.

If you're not from a racing background, not surrounded by people who know the game, I can't imagine any sport more impenetrable, more baffling, to a casual punter. And, as always with a money element, no one wants to give anything away, no one wants to let new members into the club - you can see from language on a forum like this (mugs, casual/weekend punters etc) that there's a huge ego involved in it, and people enjoy feeling superior to others. 99% of the time, you're not gonna get a cohesive crowd like at a rugby or football match (other 1% is reserved for when frankie or ruby are on a four timer).
I'm marginally switched on, love the sport of horse racing, worked in a bookies for 7 years - but I am still MILES away from a true depth of understanding. I've just backed that Frankie fav ffs. I can remember calling 10/3 'ten to three' when I first started - was called the talking clock for a while :( It's just little things like that that you can have no way of posibly knowing when you first get involved.

But it doesn't have to be like that. Someone mentioned above kids all want it instant nowadays - well I'd say horse racing is one of the quickest thrills in gambling you can get, the flat especially should appeal to these types. As for getting info - almost every facking betting website you can find looks like it was coded in 2003 then left to die. Netball gets more coverage on the BBC. Some modern, dynamic websites would be a start - aim more towards sporting life rather than abominations like the racing post and ATR.
Last suggestion might be a bit garish for some, but in the right hands I think it's necessary - there needs to be more 'stars'. Figures for public to get behind. For casual watchers, you have to create an emotional investment (not just monetary). Can be the hoss' or the jock, but I fear some of the horses have more personality!
Report THE-GHOST-OF-DICKIE-BIRD September 17, 2015 9:41 PM BST
I prefer the flat to NH
Report the.mad.dog.man September 17, 2015 9:45 PM BST
flat for me
Report homefortea September 17, 2015 9:59 PM BST
When you cannot get a bet on even if you only  manage to break even..

When Channel Four shows racing and the coverage is laughable...

When you have a regular bet and half of your selections are non-runners due to 48 hour decs..

When the alleged "bookmakers" push anything but horse racing in the "stores"...

Then you know the game is dead.
Report tim6 September 17, 2015 10:04 PM BST
when you back a winner and 90% of the time you have a rule 4
Number of times 16 runners reduceded to 15
Number of times 8 runners reduceded to 7
AOB's 3 least fancied horse winning easily
Finally Jockeys on horses not written out for 2nd and 3rd place once winning chance gone and stewards turning a blind eye
Report tim6 September 17, 2015 10:05 PM BST
ridden out
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com