Forums
Welcome to Live View – Take the tour to learn more
Start Tour
There is currently 1 person viewing this thread.
FelipeMassa
12 Sep 15 10:06
| Topic/replies: 75 | Blogger: FelipeMassa's blog
I do a lot of market making in the Australian Racing markets, however the time of suspension in the harness racing markets is very late, making it impossible to leave money in the market without the risk of getting back bets matched on horses that miss the start or lay bets on horses that start well.

Just now an hour ago at the 8.58 race at Shepparton the odds on favourite galopped before the start and the price went up to 12s (12.24 starting price), apparently he was 100 meters behind the other runners when the starting gate came in, still there was 20 seconds time for people with up to date pictures of the event to lay the crap out of him. Shouldn't you be protected from this if you are placing "pre race bets"? Is it right that a horse that trades at odds on has a "starting price" of 12?

This is a regular occurance, a few weeks ago a horse that traded at 1.3 had a Betfair starting price of 56, smaller movements happening all the time.

I understand it is a flying start in harness racing, but shouldn't the market be suspended to "in-play" when the horses start running instead of when the gate comes in?

Lost a lot of money for this, what is your opininon?
Pause Switch to Standard View Late suspensions in Harness Racing
Show More
Report Deltâ September 12, 2015 10:11 AM BST
thats not just confined to Harness racing - BFSPs on UK racing have been out do to late suspended that have captured some 'after off' trading ... 'they' dont care ...
Report FelipeMassa September 14, 2015 6:09 AM BST
It seems the UK races are suspended at the same time they start on Betfair live video, but i don't notice any unusual price movement.
When a horse stays in the gate or starts horrible i don't see the price trading higher before the off. I have seen a couple of times when they suspended slightly late on the UK races but very rare.
In US racing i noticed on many occasions a late suspension, which i guess has to do with the US races not going by scheduled time, its normal for a race to start 10 minutes later or even a bit earlier than scheduled start time so i guess it is harder for the guy in charge of suspending the markets to keep track.

However in the Australian Harness Racing big pre race movements due to horses galopping before the start happen daily, just now again the Globe Derby race at 5.54, favourite galoppes before the start, price goes from odds on up to 4s before the start...

I don't understand betfairs policy here, you are asking for a price for a horse to win "pre race" and get matched after the horse misses the start.
Report chrisblues September 14, 2015 7:25 AM BST
try usa racing forum lots of folks moaning  it  goes on a lot  suspened at FIVE min before the  the off  at times  what going on   sure  that not allowed
Report RADGEPOT September 14, 2015 7:26 AM BST
Is there any reason why you can't cancel your bets before the ''start''?
Report chrisblues September 14, 2015 7:31 AM BST
when suspend  at few min before the off  can   get stuck   with a lopside book of   1000pounds     on a nag that  worry me   alot
Report chrisblues September 14, 2015 7:33 AM BST
it all treading toes  on usa racing and shut down the books at 4 to 5 min before the off   therefore killing the markets
Report foxy September 14, 2015 7:41 AM BST
do a lot of people bet on american racing ?
Report chrisblues September 14, 2015 7:49 AM BST
about 5k to 40k total matched each race to the off   but when suspend can be low  as 2k matched
Report chrisblues September 14, 2015 7:53 AM BST
too many meets    like sat can be  low as 300 to 2k matched     few meets like sunday  and monday   which   only 2 meets  around midnight    can be  4o to 50k matched  in bets  which is  great
Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Wonder

Instance ID: 13539
www.betfair.com